Start by marking “Dollar Signs Of The Times: A Commonsense Guide To Securing Our Economic Future” as Want to Read:
Dollar Signs Of The Times: A Commonsense Guide To Securing Our Economic Future

Dollar Signs Of The Times: A Commonsense Guide To Securing Our Economic Future

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  93 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Americans are obsessed with money, yet understand little of the workings of economics. Worst yet is the fact that what we think we know is just plain wrong. Politicians and special interest groups benefit from this ignorance while the American people slip deeper into debt and financial slavery. Biblical Economics tells you exactly what, how and why you need to know about i ...more
Paperback
Published November 1st 1994 by Baker Publishing Group (MI) (first published June 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Dollar Signs Of The Times, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dollar Signs Of The Times

Patricia
Jun 23, 2011 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. R.C. Sproul Jr.gives a refreshing, Biblical perspective on economics and other issues. I especially liked the chapter on prosperity. He explained how properity naturally flows from a free, unregulated economy. He also challenged the myth that prosperity shouldn't be worked towards, but instead showed how it is a necessary component of a healthy economy. He ends the book with a call for education, saying that the only way we can get a small government back is for Americans to have a sm ...more
Luke D
Nov 11, 2014 Luke D rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a real eye-opener on many issues (bringing sense and simplicity (and joy!) to the "complex", often stupid economic policies of today). I'm actually doing the whole course, so I'm not sure how much of what I've learned was from the book vs. how much was from the lectures/questions! I'd highly, highly recommend the whole course, though.
Natalie Wickham
This book was the first I read as part of a Great Authors webinar series put on by Vision Forum. My understanding of economics is very elementary, so this book was a great starting point to help me understand some basic economic principles. It includes chapters on: Stewardship, Creation, Prosperity, Profit, Money, Inflation, Debt, Poverty, Equity, and Government. Perhaps more than anything, it reminded me how practical and helpful an understanding of these principles is for daily living in gener ...more
Briana
Sep 24, 2009 Briana rated it really liked it
Couldn't put it down.

...and yes, it's an economics book...

It was just that good.
Great introduction to the confusing and depressing world of economics. People today get so caught up in what's "fair" and "right", but most of the time, our perception of justice has been affected too much on an emotional level. If we want to understand economics, we need to really pin down our definitions and ideals. Yes, we're called to be compassionate to the needy, but we need to figure out the best way to do t
Kirk
Oct 18, 2010 Kirk rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sproulito did a great job with the economics end of things but only a mediocre job of the biblical end of things. Any convinced free market capitalist will be cheering their way through the book and be learning along the way as well. His writing was engaging and illustrations were very ... well... common-sensical. However, he rarely establishes his economic principles starting with a scriptural foundation. Most of the time he introduces the reader to a free market principle and then shows where ...more
Adam T Calvert
This is a terrific primer on the Biblical view of economics. And it is immensely needed in our churches in America - if nothing more than to demonstrate the following: “That the Bible is not an economics textbook does not mean that it is totally useless for understanding economic issues. … Where ethics touches economics, the Bible is relevant.” (p. 16)

In this short but greatly useful book, R.C. Sproul Jr. gives a Scriptural presentation of stewardship, property, profit, money, inflation, debt, p
John
Jan 04, 2013 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
R.C. Sproul, Jr. understands economics far better than most any other Christian writer that I've encountered. This is a short book but it is full of wisdom, insight, and Scriptural exegesis. Sproul sees economics as one of the integral aspects of human flourishing. Not only that, but he understands that economic confusion is a judgment and brings further judgment.

The chapters are relatively brief, but they are packed with brilliance and practicality. Sproul understands the impact of inflation,
Kevin Thompson
Dec 31, 2015 Kevin Thompson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economics
Very easy read. Not sure I agree with every last jot and title but a helpful foundation to build upon.
Thomas Kidd
Baptized Austrian Economics - which might not be a bad thing, but I'm not convinced.
Dana
Mar 12, 2011 Dana rated it it was amazing
If I could have given more than 5 stars to this book I would have. This book was EXCELLENT and is a great introductory book for anyone wanting to learn about economics or anyone who wants to understand what is going on this country economically right now. I highly recommend it!!!
Gabriel
Jan 17, 2013 Gabriel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good intro to biblical econ. The laws of economics flow from God and the covenant He has made with man. Supply and demand does not come from thin air. Supply and demand comes from God's command not to steal and a faithful view of covenants.
Brian Morin
Don't bother--much more of a political platform backed up by a few Biblical anecdotes than a thorough treatise on the Bible's views on economics. Start with.a title that lies to you, and then goes downhill from there.
Eve Victorié
Simple and very easy to read. This book did a great job of introducing economics to me. I've read about and tried to grasp basic economic principles before, but I never really understood them until now!
Tony
Dec 09, 2012 Tony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This gave me a good foundation in, surprise surprise, Biblical Economics. It doesn't go in depth, but it provided me with a solid foundation.
Phil Sessa
Aug 08, 2013 Phil Sessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned a lot, and used this with the Ligonier course online with my brother. What a great study.
Amy
Jan 21, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Basic. Good if you don't understand economics but if you do, there's not much new here.
Ryan Boomershine
Interesting and helpful read. Highly recommended.
Carter Johnson
Aug 20, 2015 Carter Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clear and informative—a must-read.
Joseph
Apr 16, 2012 Joseph rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this book.
C. Tilden
a good primer...for capitalism.
Adam Keith Strahan
Adam Keith Strahan marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Jacob Foster
Jacob Foster marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Kelj Galleros
Kelj Galleros marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Chelsea Vincent
Chelsea Vincent marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Zachary McDonald
Zachary McDonald marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Allen Patterson
Allen Patterson marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Lester
Lester marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Jayme
Jayme marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
  • Primeval Saints: Studies in the Patriarchs of Genesis
  • Apostate
  • State of the Arts
  • What He Must Be: If He Wants to Marry My Daughter
  • Mathematics: Is God Silent?
  • Joyfully at Home: A Book for Young Ladies on Vision and Hope
  • Persuasions: A Dream of Reason Meeting Unbelief.
  • Consequences of Ideas
  • Paradise Restored: A Biblical Theology of Dominion
  • Welcome to Addy's World · 1864: Growing Up During America's Civil War (American Girls Collection)
  • Idols for Destruction: The Conflict of Christian Faith and American Culture
  • The Soul of Science
Robert Craig Sproul, better known as R.C. Sproul, Jr., is a Calvinist Christian minister and theologian and is the son of R.C. Sproul, a noted Reformed theologian and founder of Ligonier Ministries.
More about R.C. Sproul Jr....