Start by marking “Nigella Express: Good Food Fast” as Want to Read:
Nigella Express: Good Food Fast

Nigella Express: Good Food Fast

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  17,186 Ratings  ·  181 Reviews
THE DOMESTIC GODDESS IS BACK and this time it's instant. Nigella and her style of cookery have earned a special place in our lives, symbolising all that is best, most pleasurable, most hands-on and least fussy about good food. But that doesn't mean she wants us to spend hours in the kitchen, slaving over a hot stove.

Featuring fabulous fast foods, ingenious short cuts, terr
Published 2007 by Chatto & Windus

To ask other readers questions about Nigella Express, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nigella Express

Christy
Jun 06, 2008 Christy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookery
I love Nigella for the following reasons:

1. She likes the same kind of food as me
2. She has the same "use what you have on hand" attitude about being in the kitchen as I do
3. She is unashamed to divulge what some would consider embarrassing eating habits (such as consuming entire avocados or having bread pudding for dinner), as am I (I lick the mayonnaise spoon -- you heard me)
4. She's a clever, witty writer with a great sense of humor, and an appropriate level of modesty...just like me
5. She's
Emily
Dec 30, 2007 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I may never make anything from this cookbook, but it made great reading! Nigella is a funny, smart writer with a killer vocabulary (plaudits? recherche?) as well as her own vocab (e.g. "spatch" as a verb meaning "spoon with a spatula"), so much less annoying than you-know-who and her EVOO. Reading straight through, I find the major themes are: Nigella hates diet food and the concept of restraint in food; Nigella shops online a lot (mentioned in fully half of recipe entries); and Nigella is embar ...more
Christian
Apr 11, 2011 Christian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is without a doubt THE BEST COOK BOOK I OWN!!! (no i didnt forget that the cap lock was on)

The recipes are reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly EASY!!!

The recipes are fast!!!

The recipes are TASTY!!!

Another thing I LOVE about Nidge is her alternative suggestions to ingredients (lets face it we dont all have a fully stocked larder like she does) and the fact that usually ridiculous and odd ingredients are left out dont expect to have to go to a fancy place for the ingredients!

Real
Kjersten
Jul 07, 2011 Kjersten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have never had the pleasure of watching Ms Lawson on her Cooking Channel shows, I am sadden for you. She is a sweet, sassy and salt of the earth cook to watch in action. I didn't think her cookbooks would hold a candle to her on-screen pizazz but was I ever wrong. Her writing style is that of sitting right next to you with no-holds-bar conversation about food, life, family, friends, what have you. Her recipes in Nigella Express are much more simple and honestly, kid friendly than any of t ...more
Evie Hutchinson
Jan 22, 2008 Evie Hutchinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goodbooks
some awesome recipes i've already made: baked eggs, chicken cacciatore, banana chocolate smoothie (me and zoe drink those every day for breakfast!)
Shonaigh Mudie
Jan 08, 2013 Shonaigh Mudie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recipe-books
Quick recipes and handy shortcuts. Lots of good ones in here including some fancy show stopping ones that are both simple and take no time at all. Amn't a big fan of cream, butter and very rich food so she probably isn't the right kind of cook for me! However, there are a good number of recipes that I have enjoyed and even more that I have made for other people. I regularly have my family around for a meal and if I do go home I always cook for them. I have made a-lot of the recipes from this boo ...more
Kasia S.
Mar 31, 2010 Kasia S. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was actually surprised that Nigella came out with this new cooking concept, making her favorites with short cuts, suddenly being impatient and saving time while still having parties and cooking dinners ever night for her family. Honestly I never found her recipes hard, I enjoyed making everything the proper way but I have to say its fun to find way to cheat I guess, making mousses without all the fancy work, creams and cakes and stews with minimal effort, without hours of baking and slow cooki ...more
mindi
Jul 18, 2008 mindi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
1. i love nigella. even if this was a book entirely made up of ways to cook meat and coleslaw, i would have read it because of Nigella's writing style and the beautiful photos.

2. i am such a fan of cookbooks that include a photo with nearly every recipe. i am not a confident cook by any means, so it's nice to "see" what i'm working towards.

3. i love that Nigella is so down to earth about food. she doesn't make me feel guilty for eating more raw brownie batter than i bake(and i feel that she woul
M.D.
Sep 29, 2009 M.D. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't often review cookbooks. In fact, I almost never review them, but I felt this one deserved a mention. I first became interested in Nigella Lawson's type of cooking through her TV program, Nigella Bites. She has a way of going through a recipe in a few, simple, sensual steps that is very attractive. Her recipes are usually full of flavour and are quick to prepare.

Quick is what I like (in addition to the sensual part of cooking), so I picked up Nigella Express. Overall, the book meets it's
Faith
Feb 01, 2012 Faith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
I wasn't expecting much but the recipes are really tasty while also accessible and quick, plus the book is full of excellent photos. (Did I mention I loathe cookbooks without photos? How can you be sure what to make? But I digress...)

I enjoyed the anecdotes and other humor in the recipe notes. The only thing I found odd is that Nigella herself looks so uncomfortable in all of the photos she was in, as though she had frozen herself in an itchy position. Maybe it's just me?

I'm going to try out a
Kim
Oct 17, 2009 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: all-time-favs
If you, like me, find yourself longing for excellent food when the temperatures drop, DO NOT read this book in the fall. I have done nothing but eat for the 10 days I've been reading this - and I think I may also be overdoing things when it comes to dinnertime. My family, needless to say, has enjoyed this time immensely.

Nigella doesn't disappoint, in her writing style or recipe selection. There's only a couple things in this book that I would never cook (one word: liver) and a preponderance of i
Manny
Feb 11, 2009 Manny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For some reason, it's not supposed to be cool to like Nigella. I don't care - she has excellent recipes that really work, she's smart and writes amusingly, and she even looks sexy! I suppose the last part is the problem, some version of Legally Blonde syndrome. You'd think people would have got over that by now.

Another person who reviewed this book praised the Coq au Rielsing. It is indeed totally excellent - especially if you do what she recommends, and make it the day before you're planning to
Antonia
Jun 30, 2010 Antonia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is not as good as the 'principles' book and for that reason alone - because Nigella has a better book, do I give it four stars instead of five.

But this is a good book for an 'in a hurry' moment which is the purpose. For inspiration without having to think too much. Easy to follow, and all recipes work well.

Lots of recipes which can become part of your staple and that you can cook from memory after a while, or with only minimal reference back to the book.

Recommend it for every kitchen!
Hannah
Feb 01, 2015 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking-food
This is the food I associate with Nigella, and it is the reason I love her and will always turn to her for advice, inspiration and solutions to every kitchen debacle. I may be biased in my admiration of her, but this book is wonderful regardless of any previous acquaintance with her recipes and conversational witter.

There is a speedy solution for every occasion and every appetite. All of it is essential to a well rounded kitchen repertoire I feel. From indulgent desserts such as chocolate pear p
May 23, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great cookbook to read. Nigella's writing style is casual and breezy. Each recipe has a brief write up explaining the dish and features a beautiful colour picture.

However, the recipes were not to my personal tastes, which is not Nigella's fault. There was more emphasis on sweets than side dishes. I did get some fantastic ideas for flavour combinations and easy short cuts, but this book won't find its way into my kitchen any time soon.
Rachel
Jan 06, 2010 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cooks with little time but good intentions
Recommended to Rachel by: Teresa
Shelves: non-fiction, cooking
This is full of excellent tasty recipes that dont cost the earth and take under half an hour in general to make. A great way to try new things without having to put too much time and effort in! I can particularly recommend the Naan Pizzas and the prawn and mango curry! mmmm tasty!It also was written by and contains Nigella so thats a plus point for me in anything!
Brad
Aug 03, 2012 Brad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really love this cookbook. Generally the recipes are simple and quick to make (as the title suggests) and are always delicious.

Particular recipes of note that have made it in to our monthly rotation are her quick chilli (with chorizo), Thai red prawn curry and mustard pork chops.

I believe I own all of Nigellas cook books and this for me is by far the best.
Reema
Jan 11, 2010 Reema rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nigella is super! She not only makes cooking easy n enjoyable her recipes are very delicious too! Try them and you won't be disappointed. Plus her book is a fun read....not a boring instruction cook book. It's a handy book as ever to have when your in a hurry or have to entertain or just want comfort food and the best part of all it's not too much effort!
Melanie Garrett
Jul 19, 2009 Melanie Garrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Almost everything I've made from this we've gone back to again and again. The only recipe I wouldn't rate so far is the macaroni, as the one from the Xmas book is infinitely nicer.

the quick pork in cider and mustard with gnocchi is sublime.

Overall, the effort to results ratio is ideal. Fast, but tasty food...a must have.
Kaajal Noorani
Feb 17, 2013 Kaajal Noorani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
NIgella Express.....also one of the good books. Very interesting and creative recipes and all are truly speedy and practical. Alot of them are very do-able and infact prompt you to try them due to their ease and interesting factor. Another book that I often go back to refer. That pretty much says alot about the book.
Shannon
Mar 06, 2011 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this at a thrift store for a criminal $4. The recipes that I have made so far have been amazingly fast and surprisingly delicious. Gorgeous photos, ingredients by weight (LOVE LOVE LOVE). This book has expanded our weeknight repertoire. Too bad there are not more veggie recipes.
Dirk Van de Velde
Excellent cookbook. Lots of beautiful pictures, easy to follow guide to make the recipes, typical Nigella style. Read and used it a lot already and will continue to use it in the future. You never really 'finish' a good cookbook but keep using it in the near or far future.
Megan Kudzia
Sep 01, 2013 Megan Kudzia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my go-to cookbook. I use these recipes again and again. Everything I've tried, I've loved. Many I have begun to tweak to suit myself; they're part of my repertoire. I am forever changed as a cook, I think for the better!
Jean
Jan 20, 2009 Jean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked Forever Summer better. Maybe it's just the recipes we chose but I didn't fall in love with all of them like I did the others. They are fast and they are easy but they missed some of the wow-factor I loved in Forever Summer.

Here is what I've tasted and the cookbook club cooks who made them:

Gretchen - Sweet and Sour Cucumber Salad: Perfect quick-pickle dish. I could nosh on them all day.

Me - Potato Pancakes with Smoked Salmon: Calls for more salmon than you need. Could have used some Crem
Valerie
Jun 05, 2008 Valerie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
I think this is a nice cookbook. It's the kind of cookbook that I would've really liked before I had kids... recipes like "Gravlax Sashimi" and "Griddled Venison with Pink Gin Applesauce and Roast Pencil Leeks" are probably not going to be prepared in my house unless I'm also preparing a completely separate meal for the younger palates. But with that said, I can usually find recipes in any cookbook that will work for my family, and this one was no disappointment. Things that we've tried (or will ...more
Erin
Mar 03, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've not made any of the recipes (which is not at all needed for me to enjoy and approve of a cookbook). I did ID more than a dozen recipes I'd like Andre to try -- happily, he says he's willing. Also love her intros to each section. She almost makes cooking sound like fun. ...Almost.

p11 Mustard Pork Chops (she suggests a side of gnocchi)
p19 Naan Pizza
p23 Caramel Croissant Pudding (because you need something to do with those stale croissants)
p39 Potato & Mushroom Gratin
p40 Steak Slice with L
Jenine Flatt
Sep 09, 2014 Jenine Flatt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy to read and the recipes are great to follow. Nigella cooks like I do, and so if I don't have exactly the same ingredient I know I can adapt the recipe and it will still come out great. I love her use of language, it's like having a friend in the kitchen chatting to you as you cook.
Theteaisaddictive
Mar 22, 2014 Theteaisaddictive rated it really liked it
Nigella has always been my favourite food writer - maybe because she's so enthusiastic about food herself. This was a delight to read, and after a quick skim through I'm eagerly anticipating getting home to make some of these delicious, simple recipes.
Suzanne
Apr 12, 2010 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am looking forward to trying a lot of these recipes, especially the desserts. For some reason, I always make dessert out to be the biggest challenge of the meal, but there are quite a few simple recipes in here.

This is the first cookbook that I've actually sat down and read cover to cover. This could be partially due to little quote gems like, "Oh, and if you don't have any bourbon in the house, first may I say, please consider is, and second, replace it, rather, with rum," and "Incidentally,
Zoe Palman
Apr 26, 2014 Zoe Palman rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
The recipes didn't excite me and I haven't cooked anything from this book unlike her other cookbooks, however, I enjoyed Nigella's witty narrative as usual so I didn't consider this a total waste of time.
  • Bake
  • The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook: The New Classics
  • Barefoot in Paris
  • Everyday Pasta
  • Delia's Complete Cookery Course: Classic Edition
Nigella Lawson is the daughter of former Conservative cabinet minister Nigel Lawson (now Lord Lawson) and the late Vanessa Salmon, socialite and heir to the Lyons Corner House empire, who died of liver cancer in 1985. Lawson attended Godolphin and Latymer School and Westminster School before graduating from Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford, with a degree in Medieval and Modern Languages.
Lawson wrote a r
More about Nigella Lawson...