Start by marking “The Grandma Book” as Want to Read:
The Grandma Book

The Grandma Book

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Featuring Todd Parr's signature colorful and kid-friendly illustrations, The Grandma Book portrays the different ways grandmothers show their grandchildren love, from offering advice and babysitting to making things and giving lots of kisses.
Published April 5th 2006 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published April 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Grandma Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grandma Book

Crystal Lough
The Grandma Book is a picture book. It is appropriate for children of a primary level. In the book the narrator names many different things grandmas do. For example, one page said, "Some grandmas like to dance." Another page says, "Some grandmas like to play bingo." I rated this book a 4 because in my opinion this book has a lot of strong points. The main idea of the book proves that a lot of people, including grandmas, are different. The pictures display this idea as well. For example, all of t ...more
Nancy
I checked this electronic book out of the Rockford Public library, to read to my grandchildren. I didn't get a chance to read it to them, but showed it to my daughter-in-law, and to her mother. Grandma J gives the grandchildren a lot of cloths. She sews beautifully. There was a cute picture of the clothes grandma makes for the kids, but they don't fit. Some grandma's give books, which is like me. We all give lots of kisses. This is a cute short book, with bright colored illustrations.
Karen
My four-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week.

This is a book illustrated in bright, bold colors, with broad strokes, strong lines, and, possibly, how a child would illustrate the world.

I like some of this book -- the text also is bright and bold. What I don't like is that the book is also written with broad strokes and strong lines. And the generalization and stereotypes within this book do not describe how a child would or should see the world.

Marya
I liked the bold colors and simple words. My mother, the grandma herself, thought it was horribly stereotyped and said I could not purchase it for my child (who was enjoying having it read). It seems that when Parr writes "Some grandmas live with grandpa" and "Some grandmas live with friends" (showing a nursing home scene), he is presenting a horrible dialectic that does not include her.
Melanie
Todd Parr does it again with another wonderful book about family members. This one is all about grandmas. Parr hits on all types including the ones that feed you until you can eat no more and the one that have blue hair! And apparently, I've never noticed this before, but no one in any of Parr's books have shoes that match. :)
Samantha
A celebration of grandmas! Some grandmas have lots of purses and cats, but all grandmas like it when their grandchildren spend the night, talk to their grandchildren on the phone, and give them lots of kisses.

Colorful artwork is rendered in such a way as to look like a child drew them. A great read aloud.
Polly
Few of my relatives do any of the things that Todd Parr's apparently do, and I think this one might have upset me as a child, made me feel left out, because I didn't have a cozy kind of relationship with either grandmother, although I loved them both dearly.
Peggy
I had my 2-year-old give this book to his grandma for Christmas. They both love it and he asks her to read it again and again. He actually has it memorized and reads it to her now. I love the colorful artwork.
Chrystal
Like the Maisy books, my girls really enjoy the bright colored art of Todd Parr books. This Grandma book was sweet...but I still don't know why they like them so much.
Karen
A sweet book. Some grandmas do this, and some grandmas do that, but all grandmas love it when...
Theresa
very early reader with simple bright pictures, about all the different grandmas out there
Jen
bright pictures, addresses many types of Grandmas!
Kelly
read at Woodcrest 5/8/12
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Noemi Vargas
Noemi Vargas marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Shauna
Shauna marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Kirsten Lansberry
Kirsten Lansberry marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Priya
Priya marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Zehra Sarica kaplan
Zehra Sarica kaplan marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
It's Okay to Be Different The Family Book The Peace Book Reading Makes You Feel Good The Daddy Book