Start by marking “Sweet 16” as Want to Read:
Sweet 16

Sweet 16

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  2,087 ratings  ·  132 reviews
Teagan Phillips is obnoxiously rich, obnoxiously fashionable, and, this year, she's obnoxiously turning sixteen. No one's sweet sixteen party will be as glitzy, glamorous, decadent, and, well, obnoxious as Teagan's sweet sixteen party. She might single-handedly take the sweet out of sweet sixteen.

In typical fashion, nothing is quite right for Teagan on the night of her swe
Published February 28th 2006 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsTwilight by Stephenie MeyerI'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally CarterHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
Best Teen Girl Books
213th out of 1,318 books — 1,987 voters
The Princess Diaries by Meg CabotRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareThe Luxe by Anna GodbersenPerfect by Sara ShepardThe Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa
In the Pink
149th out of 1,078 books — 371 voters

More lists with this book...

Hannah
I'm not sure what it is about Kate Brian. I really enjoy her books, and if I see one, I read it automatically. But I find myself cringing at times at her clunky writing style and liberal use of cliches. Her writing is very predictable, and her use of classic tales (The Prince and the Pauper, and in the case, A Christmas Carol) isn't flattering for her work. She doesn't provide any real original spins, and the acts are almost blow-for-blow.

It's not to say that I didn't enjoy Sweet 16. But it was
Jeyashri
Sonshu
I don’t think there’s such a thing as ‘too old for a book’, but if you do believe in that then maybe that’s one of the reasons this book just did not work for me. The bad use of cliches, the childish writing style and the unnecessary distractions in the story. It felt like a really bad imitation of Dickens, which made it worse.

I’m not sure I would have appreciated this book if I’d read it when I was 16 either, so I don’t think it’s the age, I think it’s the vain, the unrealistic feel and the la
Emma
A lot of times, we don't realize what we have or appreciate what we have until it is too late. Teagan seems to be that person. Taking advantage of people, only caring about her looks, not realizing who her real friends are, and of course, wanting to have the best sweet 16 her school has ever seen. The biggest day of her life doesn't seem to go the way she has planned, especially after she falls down a flight of stairs (and nobody realizes/cares she's gone) and is taken by a ghost through her pas ...more
Marisa
Sweet 16 by Kate Brian was a very interesting book about a spoiled teenager who knew nothing more than the latest trends and her father's credit card number. On the night of her "party of the year" sweet 16, she falls down the stairs and her life is forever changed when she awakes to a ghost helping her up from the floor. The ghost shows her her actions and how they effect a lot more people than she imagined, or even cared to think about.
I liked this book overall because of the message it sent
Samantha
I read this book in about 2 days! It really caught my interest. I liked how this book was somewhat similiar to "The Christmas Carol". In this book and "The Christmas Carol," both main characters go on a journey to the past, present and future. They realized how their childhood was so nice, but their actions now are going to affect their future life. They have the choice to fix that, before it's too late. I loved this book!
Keisya Prasetyawan
i Like it! this is a very typical teenage girl book, but i think it's similar to 'Ghosts of Girlfriend Past' and 'Christmas Carol' and some mixture of random movies too. I cried so many times reading this book. I wish the author explained more detail at the end.

Definitely recommended.
Nikki  Peterson
Going into this I thought Teagan was gonna be like Blair from Gossip Girl. She is so much worse! This girl is a bitch, there is no other way to put it. She is rude, mean spirited, self consumed, and dismissive of everybody else's feelings. I started off despising her from the get go.

The book revolves around Teagan's Sweet 16 Shindig. She is absorbed with throwing the best and never to be topped party. While at the party, during one of her huff's she goes to go down some cellar stairs and one of
Kara
This book was SO insightful and well-written. It isn't a book about a party, it's about a girl who goes through a life changing experience. I reccomend it to everyone :)
Blair
Lisa
Teagan Phillips is the rich, snotty girl that everyone loves to hate. She yells at her maid, hates her stepmom, and doesn't like giving to charity. And when Tegan throws her Sweet 16 party, she expects it to be nothing less than the best. So when Teagan accidentally falls down the stairs of an old cellar and dies, well you can understand why she'd be upset. After her death, a ghost she meets drags Teagan along on a journey through her past and present, and what would have been her furture if sh ...more
Tatiana
Ruth
Have you ever thought about how you were going to die? Teagan Phillips sure hasn't, not until the night of her best-of-the-best sweet 16. Teagan had worked on this party for over a year, or at least her version of work (yelling at people to do it for her). And who was the one paying for it all? Her dad of course. She deserved it right? Wrong. Teagan, for the last eight years, has made herself known as a spoiled brat. She dumped her best friend after she found better, richer friends. She yelled a ...more
Emma Xoxo
I AB-SO-LUTE-LY L.O.V.E.D THIS BOOK!!!! It is officially one of my favorite books. Teagan really should have seen it coming for her. She's so snobby, doesn't think of anybody but herself, and he "so called most awesome" boyfriend. Oh, that changes though. When Teagan falls down the storage room stairs during her party, she is in for a surprise. A ghost (her future self) takes her to present times, which make Teagan feel guilty, the past, which makes her even more guilty, and the future which pra ...more
Amanda
This book is a good, quick read. It's simple and predictable, but there were also some parts that I had to skip ahead a page or two to find out who they were talking about (you don't have to do that, but if you are like me and you don't want to read all the dialogue just to find out what happened because you have to know right then and there, I suggest skipping a page, finding out what is going on, and then going back to where you were). I felt emotionally torn about the characters in this book. ...more
Ju
Je suis en colère. L'intrigue, bien que largement inspirée de Dickens, aurait pu être intéressante : une jeune ado, gâtée et arrogante, organise son seizième anniversaire en grande pompe. Papa paye tout, et elle prend tout le monde de haut. Mais après avoir vu de l'extérieur la façon dont elle se comporte, elle change sa vie. Seulement, c'est tellement mal fait! Nunuche, facile, moralisateur tout en étant pourri de matérialisme - d'accord, elle est friquée et évolue dans un microcosme richissime ...more
Jun 08, 2008 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Sarah by: friends
I though this was one of my favorite books of all times. I really liked it and it made me think about my life and look in the past.

At moments this book made me cry, than it made me happy. It seemed like it was going to be another book were a girl throws a party and it gets ruin. I didn't think it would teach me a lesson. But it did and it was a good lesson.

In this book Tegan throws a huge sweet 16 that she hopes everyone will like and she will do anything to make t perfect. Nothing can be out of
Vicktoria Horner
Feb 15, 2012 Vicktoria Horner is currently reading it
This book is you'r "ordanary" book to say. It starts out with a a girl who isnt really the most popular and then she has her big sweet 16 and its the bash or party of the year. Everyone is nice to her noone is being obnoxious like they ushaly are to her. But whats so unushale is that everyone want to go to her party and nothing will stop anyone from getting a invite to her party. But they party i have currently got to is during her party shes is dancing and having a great time and all of a sudde ...more
Victoria
I really am starting to like Kate Brian a lot. This was a bit more heartfelt than I usually choose to read, but I loved it. Let me just say, if I ever become a millionaire and can pay to make movies, this one is on my list. Of course, some things left me hanging (Like what happened with the other guy she got fired?)

Id recommend this book for ages 13 and up
Catherine
Meet Teagan: the prettiest, most popular girl at school. With sky blue eyes and chestnut hair, Teagan is THE alpha of her clique. It takes a life changing experience to open her eyes, and to see who really is her friend...
Meet Lindsey: the jealous follower of Teagan. Gets put down by Teagan one too many times and starts dating Teagan's boyfriend Max...

OMG I thought it would be a typical "I'm popular everyone loves me" story but it so wasn't. At the end Teagan gives her couture dresses to lower c
Courtney Brown
Eh. I enjoyed this more in high school but it wasn't too bad this time around, I guess. Would have liked to see more dimensions to the characters. Everyone is really good or really bad without many shades of gray. It's fluff, but enjoyable fluff.
Monica
Sep 09, 2014 Monica added it
It's hard to believe that Teagen changed her ways her just because she almost thought that she died. She got a little bit of glimpse of er past and how this is what her life would have been if she kept acting like this and not have a good life filled with friends. Everyone would eventually not talk to her no more just because she acted in her spoiled ways. Now she cares for what she's thankful for and that money doesn't buy happiness.
Karli Pawlowski
I liked this book. It was about a rich girl who thinks everything goes the way she wants it to go. She throws this sweet 16 party for her. Her life is so perfect, becasue she has everything she wants, a perfect boyfriend, a lot of money, and her friends.
The day of her party. It is crapy outside, its raining. She gets to the clubhouse where her party is held. Thats when everything goes wrong. Someone accidently bumps into her and spills cocktail souce all over her dress. She goes to the back ro
Zoe Tashlik
This book was not my favorite, but not the worst. I felt like I was living the life of Tegan, because on page 165, Tegan gives great detail about hoes she acted. I was imagining my life like hers. I would never want to be Tegan. She is mean, bratty, and selfish. At the end of the book, she fixed her mistakes. I recommend this book to 5th and 6th graders. Hope you enjoy it if you read it!
Liz
This is one of my favorite books. It is because it's fun and it's a good book to experience glamor with a twist. This was the book that got me into reading. So read it it won't disappoint you.(I hope) ;)
Ella Perkins
Teagan Phillips’s sweet sixteen was not so sweet after all. It turned out that she died then came back to life!!!! She was having the time of her life, when something bad goes wrong. No open bar?

I can make a text to self-connection. I can make this connection with Tegan because her and I love to be in charge and have a lot of money. They both expect something out of everything in life.

I would give this book 5 stars because I really like the part that she dies and gets to see who she ever hurt. W
Morgan
Love her work! I read this book multiple times, and enjoyed the way she wrote the main characters perspective. Great modern twist to the classic Christmas Carol
Lorna
Mildly entertaining if you can get past the 1st half with the obnoxious rich girl who is also the queen of tantrums. An interesting A CHRISTMAS CAROL by Dickens type of story in theme.
Brianna
I had read this years back and I checked it out for a quick read at the pool. This still hit me emotionally if for one thing alone, and that is the fact the main characters mother passes away early in her life. But Teagan does not continue to be the sweet, kind young woman she had started out to be. She is mean and spoiled and plans an over the top sweet sixteen, but a spill down the steps leads her to be led by a ghost thru her past transgressions and make amends.
This is a cute book that plays
Thanya
Sweet 16 was a interesting book. I enjoyed reading it because there was many scenes were I was able to make a picture in my mind. Tegan struggles arranging her party. Her mother died when she was young and is taken by a ghost to see her past, present, and future. I recommend this book because it's a great novel for all ages with many intense actions.
Masterpiece!! 2 19 Mar 09, 2013 08:10PM
  • A Non-Blonde Cheerleader in Love (Cheerleader Trilogy, #3)
  • On the Avenue (The Celebutantes, #1)
  • Bittersweet Sixteen
  • Confessions of a Teen Nanny
  • Geek Charming
  • Confessions of a Not It Girl
  • Revenge of the Homecoming Queen (Aspen Brooks, #1)
  • Violet on the Runway (Violet, #1)
  • Snow Queen
  • Reality Check
  • Fresh Off the Boat
  • The Geek Girl's Guide to Cheerleading
  • A Year In Europe (Love Stories: Year Abroad Trilogy, #1-3)
  • How to Hook a Hottie
  • Love Undercover (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • How to Take the Ex Out of Ex-Boyfriend
  • The Breakable Vow
  • The Rise and Fall of a 10th Grade Social Climber
Kate Brian is the author of the SHADOWLANDS TRILOGY (SHADOWLANDS, HEREAFTER & ENDLESS), as well as the New York Times bestselling PRIVATE and PRIVILEGE series, and the wildly popular MEGAN MEADE'S GUIDE TO THE MCGOWAN BOYS. She also writes teen fiction under the name Kieran Scott.
More about Kate Brian...
Megan Meade's Guide to the McGowan Boys Private (Private, #1) Invitation Only (Private, #2) Confessions (Private, #4) Untouchable (Private, #3)