Start by marking “Emotional Intelligence 2.0” as Want to Read:

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  39,470 ratings  ·  376 reviews
FOREWORD BY PATRICK LENCIONI, BESTSELLING AUTHOR OF "THE FIVE DYSFUNCTIONS OF A TEAM."
"Emotional Intelligence 2.0" is a book with a single purpose--increasing your EQ. Here's what people are saying about it:
""Emotional Intelligence 2.0" succinctly explains how to deal with emotions creatively and employ our intelligence in a beneficial way."
--THE DALAI LAMA
"A fast read
Published June 13th 2009 by Talentsmart (first published January 28th 2003)

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Apr 06, 2015
    "Emotional Intelligence 2.0 succinctly explains how to deal with emotions creatively and employ our intelligence in a beneficial way."
    --THE DALAI LAMA…more
    Giveaway dates: Jun 23 - Jul 22, 2015
    1 copy available, 1620 people requesting
    Countries available: US, CA, and GB more
  • Friend Reviews

June
    This is the first applied emotional intelligence book that I am reading. It has its pros (clarity and simplicity of content) and some cons (excessive self-promotion).

Cons
    1. Open the book and you are hit with several pages of endorsements from well-known people. Hard to miss the Dalai Lama's one as it is the first.

Further on, particularly towards the end of the book, it's evident that the authors could have practised some self-restraint in mentioning their company- the name-dropping is excessiv
    Tanya Hristova
    This is a textbook example of how not to write a scientific book. Admittedly, the book never claims to be scientific but it supposedly concerns emotional intelligence - a psychological concept - and its effects on our daily lives. Yet there's not a single experiment mentioned.

My favorite parts were:

"Here’s how it works: everything you see, smell, hear, taste and touch travels through your body in the form of electric signals. These signals pass from cell to cell until they reach their ultimate d
    Avolyn Fisher
    After I took the emotional intelligence test and recieved my score, I was a little upset that I was merely average in my score. I would like to think I'm above average, but don't we all? One of my professors last semester opened class with the statement "Most if not everyone in this room thinks they are above average, I'm sorry but you are not."

Low and behold there was hope, the coping strategies and techniques provided in this book to help you work on your area of weakness.

While reading the exa
    Laurie
    I really wish I had read this book in high school and better yet had a course in it. It would have saved me a lot of grief. As a society, we need to teach children how to deal with emotions. I wish I had not taken it out of the library because the code in the back only works for one person. So, I was not able to take the EQ (Emotional Intelligence)test. I may need to buy the book.

I loved it all, but I have picked out my favorite parts of each section:

Self Awareness Strategies:

1. Ask others for f
    Keith Kendall
    I put off reading this book because there were other books that I marked to read before it. Once I started reading it, it was a quick interesting read, and I was glad that I moved it ahead of other books in the queue.

Some of the strategies in the four sections of the book felt like they were closely related.

I look forward to working on increasing my EQ by using the assessment test to determine where I need to focus my efforts and applying the relevant strategies from the 66 strategies listed i
    Suzanne
    Jul 21, 2011 Suzanne rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
    Recommended to Suzanne by: CareerTrack Seminar
    Shelves: self-help
    I see that I'm a dissenting opinion with 2 stars but I expected a lot more from this book. I was very excited to learn about the concept of Emotional Intelligence as I'm a confessed 'smart person who has trouble holding back on emotions.' I see the logic of EI and firmly believe it is very important for career success. Maybe my expectations were too high?

I bought the book and took the test on-line. I was brutally honest and not surprisingly didn't score so high. I went to the sections of the bo
    Loy Machedo

Loy Machedo’s Book Review – Emotional Intelligence 2.0 by Travis Bradberry & Jean Greaves

Just think about this.

You have a recommendation from The Dalai Lama, Newsweek, The Washington Post, Newsday, Ken Blanchard and Marshall Goldsmith. And then to top it all, you have a foreword by (Ouch!) Patrick Lencioni himself!

Now do you need any other reason to be convinced why you should buy this book?

Wait! Don’t.

Before you decide to purchase this book, read the rest and only then decide.

Review in a nu
    Kevin Bowser
    I do not give 5 star reviews often or easily. But this book was really enlightening for me. It gave me insight into some of my own long-held behaviors and tendencies (both positively and negatively.)

This book was recommended to me by a fellow leadership coach and I have already incorporated much of into my own practice. In fact, I have created a 6-week one-on-one coaching engagement built around the principles that are contained within it.

There is nothing earthshakingly new in the book. But it i
    Cinderella Mabaso
    This is a remarkable book, emotions are a part of our genetic makeup, but mastering control over them is what we are never taught but have to experience them, learn how to adjust or accept to continue with the momentum of life & If you believe in personal growth then this book is a must read to improve your EQ & having Emotional intelligence is one of the fundamentals roots that builds a solid character.
    Allison

Overall I found this book full of useful skills to be used in the work place. Examples are given throughout the book to further understand each tactic and the explanations of each aspect of EQ are clear and concise. I would recommend this book to everyone, even though some ideas seem to be "common sense" they may be overlooked or not focused on enough of the time.
    Longfellow

If you want it to be, this book can be a quick 250 pages of helpful tips. It will probably be more useful, though, read over a few days or even a few weeks, allowing time to practice some of these recommendations or reflect on them with thought or in writing.

A few years ago, a counselor recommended the book Ten Days to Self-Esteem. I worked through its content enough to conclude its operating theory was that how one thinks controls how one feels. While I discovered this approach could yield some
    Joe
    Overall, not a bad book. For each of the four parts of emotional intelligence, the authors list several techniques for improving that particular trait. Thankfully, and unlike most books of this type, the techniques are short and sweet. There is nothing worse than reading a 400 page book with only 50 pages of interesting information and 350 pages of anecdotal fluff about Floyd from Wisconsin and how he changed his life with the book's techniques. There's none of that here. There is the occasional ...more
    Juli
    Fantastic book! I think this should be required reading for everyone at some point in their lives. Emotional Intelligence (EQ) is something we should all be aware of and it consists of Self-Awareness, Self-Management, Social Awareness, and Relationship Management. This book gives specific strategies to increase our awareness in these areas. If we are conscious of how our emotions affect us and the people around us, we can use that to make better choices. I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway a ...more
    Raman Ramamurthy
    I was very impressed with this book. It's the first I've seen that actually shows you how to increase your emotional intelligence, rather than just explaining what emotional intelligence is. It's filled with strategies to increase each of the four emotional intelligence skills: self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and relationship management.

I found the strategies very helpful, particularly because the books gives access to an online test that (based upon your results) tells you w
    Amany Mohammed
    Amazing book .. amazing advises on how to improve your EQ skills which fall into 4 categories .. self awareness, self management, social awareness & relationship management ! I took the test and it was really accurate . The techniques are clear and can be followed ! I was bothered by how my emotions control me sometimes but i think practicing these techniques help a lot! I think EQ is really important key to success in work and life and the book support this idea by examples !
    Garrett Cash
    I'm extremely impressed by this book, it has practical advice that can lead to big changes for the better if you work to apply them like Dale Carnegie's classic How To Win Friends and Influence People. My only complaint is that the test costs $40 dollars to take and I just don't have that kind of money. I'm definitely planning on revisiting this and working on it as soon as I have the funds for the test and for actually buying the book.
    Gary Jacques
    2 months ago I got promoted to a regional manager position at my company i didn't have any clue or training how to be a Manager this book and "How to make friends and Influence people" by Dale Carnegie have become my mentors in daily basis, every time I'm under stress I look at the self Managment strategies ( I wrote down all strategies in a post it notes in front of my monitor ). I wish I could have read those books earlier
    Tari Kanemoto
    Emotional Intelligence 2.0 has taught me a lot in regard to myself and the way I interact with people. The book has shown me how to develop these skills in pragmatic and easily applicable ways. It started as a book I had to read for a business class. It soon became one of the few books I have read for a class that I fully intend to use in my daily life regardless of my profession.
    Bruce
    I really like what this book teaches. Intelligence is a poor indicator of success in life. Emotional Intelligence is a better indicator. As a parent, I really want to teach these principles to my children. As a manager, I really want to teach these principles to my team members who I coach. Everyone can benefit from these principles.
    Emely Wilhide
    I thoroughly enjoyed reading Emotional Intelligence 2.0. The combination of new ideas and relatable stories allowed me to improve myself in areas that I previously was unaware needed work. In the end, I have to recommend this book purely because you can read it in one sitting yet get things out of it that you will remember a year later.
    Thomas
    Emotional Intelligence 2.0 is a thoroughly researched and extensively explained discovery, unveiling and application of the vital skills of human self-awareness and discernment. The supporting theories, findings, suggestions and techniques are sound and invaluable for the human experience. This book is a critical step in the right direction for people everywhere in the world.

One significant criticism I have is the book's focus on negative aspects of relationships, personal emotions and generally
    Craig Dube
    I really enjoyed this book and felt that it had a lot of good ideas (and common sense) to offer just about anyone. I actually listened to the audiobook and I thought the reader did a good job. My only complaint was in the middle of the book, when he took on different voices to express different people's comments. I always find it silly to hear a man's voice take on a fake-falsetto to try to sound like a woman.

But beside that I left this book wanting to learn more. So much so, that I ordered the
    Fei
    This was such a quick but also very informative read on emotional intelligence. It used examples to clearly illustrate why EQ is important to each one of us. The first section outlines what it is, and how it's different than IQ and personality, then it explains each aspect (there are 4) that make up the EQ. Then the book gives practical ideas to help the reader intentionally address each of the 4 parts of the EQ, to be more aware and to improve. I didn't read too closely these sections since I h ...more
    Carey Delle
    I received Emotional Intelligence 2.0 as a gift for my consulting company. Initially, I was very skeptical as to whether or not the book would be useful. However, after taking the time to read Emotional Intelligence 2.0, I couldn't help but apply the book to various aspects of my life. On an individual level, I was able to plan things out and be more weary of my emotions. Interpersonally,the book taught me to really consider how I am feeling and to allow the feeling to resonate before acting on ...more
    Asma
    I found this book very instructive and helpful not only for professionals and businessmen but also to students or whom ever reads it, The strategies presented in this book are very clear and you can practice them on daily basis with no problems.
    I believe that everyone who wants to be successfully should read this at least once.
    Sarah Sack
    I found this book laying around my mom's room and I thought it looked interesting, so I picked it up. I agree with it, that emotional intelligence plays a huge role in our lives. I've picked up a lot of tips that are going to help me when I'm older and working. I'm glad I read it!
    Albihany Aden
    One of the best books i ever read , if you wanna understand yourself more and understand the people around you , You better think about this book .
    Otis Chandler
    Sep 29, 2014 Otis Chandler marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: nonfiction
    Good article by this author: http://www.forbes.com/sites/travisbra...
    Molly Octopus
    Disclosure: I received this book for free via Goodreads book giveaways.

Emotional intelligence. The concept has been floating around for so long that it would be easy for one to assume that it's a scientifically validated theory-- like IQ and personality measurements (which this book presents EQ alongside).

Unfortunately, as anyone who has done enough careful study knows, none of these three concepts are nearly as solid as many believe. EQ is the worst offender of all. Scientists have had incredib
    Nathan
    DISCLAIMER: I received this book as part of a free GoodReads giveaway.

This little gem is a short read. I finished it in approximately seven hours, and that included taking exhaustive notes. This book doesn’t take 10,000 pages to say 250 pages worth, and I appreciate that. It packs short, concise definitions and concrete, actionable takeaways. Truly a breath of fresh air.

I’ve read too many books at the end of which I have no clue how to apply the things I’ve learned. This book is not one of them.
    Which Strategies are you working on? 1 88 Dec 26, 2009 08:55AM
    • The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable
    • The 80/20 Principle: The Secret to Achieving More with Less
    • StrengthsFinder 2.0
    • The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement
    • The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination and Enjoying Guilt-Free Play
    • Leadership and Self-Deception: Getting Out of the Box
    • Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Your Life
    • In Search of Excellence: Lessons from America's Best-Run Companies
    • Personal Development for Smart People: The Conscious Pursuit of Personal Growth
    • Linchpin: Are You Indispensable?
    Dr. Travis Bradberry is the award-winning author of the #1 best selling book, Emotional Intelligence 2.0, and the cofounder of TalentSmarta consultancy that serves more than 75% of Fortune 500 companies and is the world’s leading provider of emotional intelligence tests and training.

His bestselling books have been translated into 25 languages and are available in more than 150 countries. Dr. Bradb
    More about Travis Bradberry...
    The Personality Code: Unlock the Secret to Understanding Your Boss, Your Colleagues, Your Friends...and Yourself! The Emotional Intelligence Quick Book: Everything You Need to Know to Put Your EQ to Work Cryonic Leadership 2.0 Self-Awareness: The Hidden Driver of Success and Satisfaction

“Emotional intelligence is your ability to recognize and understand emotions in yourself and others, and your ability to use this awareness to manage your behavior and relationships.” 9 likes
    “Anyone can become angry—that is easy. But to be angry with the right person, to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose, and in the right way, this is not easy.” 4 likes