Start by marking “Utterly Me, Clarice Bean” as Want to Read:
Utterly Me, Clarice Bean

Utterly Me, Clarice Bean (Clarice Bean #5)

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  3,143 Ratings  ·  269 Reviews
Introducing the feisty Clarice Bean to a whole new and older audience, this volume concerns Clarice and her friend Betty Moody and their overwhelming desire to have adventures whilst becoming ace detectives.
Published 2003 by Orchard Books (first published October 7th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Utterly Me, Clarice Bean, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Utterly Me, Clarice Bean

Lija
I reread this book for about the 30th time today (seriously I read this so many times as a kid that I can still quote it) and it's still absolutely wonderful! It's so much fun!
Courtney Umlauf
There were some things I liked about this, and some I didn't. I love that Clarice Bean is a bookworm, addicted to the Ruby Redford series about a young girl who lives a secret double life as an international spy. I liked the creativity in the text layout, meandering about the page as Clarice's thoughts meander during class. However, I thought the plot was a little lax, I never felt any tension and the climax felt weak. The illustrations were an odd mix of child-like drawings (which made sense) a ...more
Limau Nipis
Utterly Me, Clarice Bean is a simple book for primary school kid. I bought it for my 9 years old daughter, but I was the one who starts to read the book. I did not realise that Lauren Child writes this series. I know that the author is famous for the Charlie and Lola series.

This book is really full of imagination. The writings are easy, and unique - accompanied by illustrations and different fonts.

This book utilises the love of Clarice Bean playing detective to search for the missing cup. Added
Kirsten
Feb 27, 2015 Kirsten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darling book, love how clarice talks/thinks. Like Lola!
Lissa
Apr 03, 2015 Lissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this a while ago but I still love it. It is so funny and entertaining and I don't think age matters.
Andd Becker
Oct 08, 2012 Andd Becker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Outspoken kid!
Devon Flaherty
Jul 31, 2014 Devon Flaherty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Clarice Bean trilogy by Lauren Child, published from 1999-2006. The series includes, in order, Utterly Me Clarice Bean, Clarice Bean Spells Trouble, and Clarice Bean Don’t Look Now. There are three more books related to the series, but they are picture books and I did not read them.

Best I can decipher, Child started her uber-English writing career with the invention of the Clarice Bean character, but a year later had caught the world’s attention with the first Charlie and Lola book. Now, all
Bandhura
Very funny, and UTTERLY no suspense
Tahleen
Jul 10, 2010 Tahleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
When Clarice Bean gets a chance to use her favorite book series, the Ruby Redfort detective mysteries, in a school competition, she does her best to think of a project that will win. Even if she ends up with Karl Wrenbury, the class troublemaker, as her partner, and even if her teacher Mrs. Wilberton says that “a common housefly has got more ability to apply itself” than she does (13). The problem is, she needs to prove she’s learned something from Ruby Redfort, and she can’t think of one thing. ...more
Victoria Boulter
Great children's book
Katerpillar
Mainly: Short and sweet, but not good enough to receive a four or five star rating. Ruby Redfort, one of my favorite books, is mentioned as Clarice Bean's favorite book ever in this. Lauren Child's fans begged for Ruby Redfort books, and so Child wrote two, a third coming on the way, I hope; there are rumors of a cliffhanger or an unfinished ending of sorts. No offense to the author of both books, and not this Patricia F. Maplin Stacey, of course (Child should've signed her name Patricia F. Mapl ...more
Alison
Jan 06, 2013 Alison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For a long time I avoided Utterly Me, Clarice Bean as I am not a great fan of Charlie and Lola. I was urged to read it by a friend, and she was quite right. I adored it! Clarice is a wonderful creation, with her big, noisy family, problems with friends and school, and her bemusement at daily life. I can imagine the children reading along getting the enjoyment of seeing the pratfalls and getting the jokes that Clarice doesn't quite.

The premise of the story is that Clarice and her best friend, Be
Lorna Hetherington
This is a relatable story about a young girl, Clarice Bean, who is currently reading one of her favourite books about a detective named Ruby Redfort. The only trouble is Clarice Bean feels like her life is just not as exciting as Ruby’s, when in fact, they are fairly similar. Meanwhile, at school, Clarice Bean is set a boring book project, which does not interest her at all, until she finds out there is a trophy and mystery prize up for grabs.

Utterly Me, Clarice Bean is a highly enjoyable book,
Aleya Godoy
This is a story of a girl who tries to be a spy like a character in a book she really likes. I started reading this book towards the beginning of my second semester in school. I finished the book within a week. While reading this book, you can feel the adventure that Clarice Bean goes through trying to be this character in her favorite book.

The story begins with a hard headed girl, who always was interested and curious in everything. She has problems in her school with one of her teachers who a
Brian James
Jul 06, 2012 Brian James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As Clarice's class prepares their utterly important book projects, mysterious things begin to happen. First there is a flood in the boys bathroom, then the winner's cup goes missing, and to top it all off, her best friend has completely vanished. In fact, things are beginning to resemble the events in her favorite book series about Ruby Redfort, a child secret agent. It's hard for Clarice to concentrate on book projects with so much going on around her.

I've always been a fan of Lauren Child's wo
Amina
Sep 17, 2011 Amina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Utterly Me, Clarice Bean by Lauren Child is a great book that can be used in the classroom in the form of shared class reading at the end of the day. The story is about Clarice Bean who relates her favourite book the Ruby Redford Mysteries within the happenings of her whole life. She aspires to be like her and can really relate to her. So when Mrs Wilberton at school assigns the class a book project with a prize up for grabs for best project, Clarice Bean bases her book project around the Ruby R ...more
Donkeysaurusrex
Apr 05, 2015 Donkeysaurusrex rated it really liked it
This is an utterly amazing little book!

I love how, as in all Lauren Child's offerings, the peculiarly ornate structure of a child's speech is so accurately and hysterically portrayed. Clarice Bean has heard and vaguely understood the word 'utterly', which for children is enough to use it in every situation regardless of its appropriateness or accuracy. The peppering throughout the book of oddly placed adverbs and misused turns of phrase adds to the charm and is makes it so much more realistic an
Clarice Lim
Mar 29, 2008 Clarice Lim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: my best friend
Recommended to Clarice by: cousin
i find the book Clarice Bean interesting because it is hilarious and it describes alot.

this book is about a girl name clarice Bean who loves to rean a book called Ruby redfort. Ruby Redfort is a secret angent. And Clarice wants to be like her , not because she is a secret agent , it's because she is rich!
Clarice Bean's father is a manager , her mother is a dance teacher who always dance while cooking (that's why her mother's cooking is bad)!

clarice's has six members in her family. she sometim
nicole
Sep 11, 2007 nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapter_books
"Her sneakers have special springing power so she can jump over her enemies, and her bathing suit has a built-in propeller so she can swim as fast as a mackerel."

That sentence describes Ruby Redford, fictitious fictitious Cooler-than-Nancy-Drew idol to Clarice Bean, but any book that measures speed in relation to mackerels is a book I'm interested in.

Really fun books. Lots of Lauren Child's signature illustration , and uh... what's it called when text layout echoes the subject of the sentence? Y
Patricia Puddle
Feb 08, 2011 Patricia Puddle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Six to Nine year-olds.
Recommended to Patricia by: Saw it in a book shop.

Utterly Me is a great fun books for young girls, and maybe boys too. The illustrations were fantastic, and the way the book is set out was quite different. It sent me a little dizzy with all the squiggles, but kids will find it fun.

The dialogue was well suited to the age group and it's written in a way that even beginner readers can enjoy it.

I highly recommend it for kids and parents that like to read to kids.

Velvet Ball and The Broken Fairy

Star-Crossed Rascals

Safa
Jun 18, 2010 Safa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was written in a spoken/dialogue kind of way- which would be wonderful for a (let me guess) 3rd/4th/5th grade reader. It is quick and witty, at times reminiscent of the early 2000’s Disney television series The Famous Jett Jackson where there is a weaving between Jett’s real life and his alter ego, Clarice Bean’s life ends up having just as much excitements as Ruby Redfort, the lead in her favorite novels.

It was hard for me to get super into the story, because of the obvious reading le
Em
Dec 21, 2010 Em rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading this book to my six year old daughters and they have loved it! So much so they've been sneakily reading ahead and knew how it ended before I did.

I asked what they thought about the characters - the girls say that Clarice is funny and serious! Make of that what you will... I asked what they'd give this book out of 5 and was told 100 out of 100, so translating that to 5 stars on their behalf.

I liked this book because Lauren Child writes childrens voices amazingly well, the stor
Potomac 5th/6th Grade
The story of Utterly Me is a good book for a fourth grader. This book has some good and some bad parts, mostly good though. This book would be more interesting if there were more mysteries. I love this book because it has some very abstract art pieces. I also love this book because it is fun to read.
The main character in this book is a very nice girl and she has a friend who is rich and has a cat; her name is Claire Bean. Her teacher hates her and is not a good teacher. Their teacher makes them
82i.love.beirut
Utterly Me Clarice Bean is an entertaining realistic fiction story written by Lauren Child. The story was mainly about CLarice Bean entering a book contest. She loved to read the Ruby Redford series, so she did her project on the Ruby Redfort series. At the end, Alexandar Holker won because she did her project about the Victorian Age.

The story was really tedious! It was just an average school girl doing her project on her favorite series. The only thing that grabbed my attention was the autho
Yuri
Aug 28, 2012 Yuri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is a fun book to read. Her teacher wants to do a book project and the winner wil get a cup which will be put in the cup board where everyone in school will see. In this book, the word "utterly" is used very much, and I think it match the title, story and the main character too.
Clarice is doing her book project with her best friend, Betty Moody. In the story, some problem happens like Betty doesn't come to school, so Clarice need to work with a boy and even the cup get lost.
I think
Rachel Groves
Fantastic as a children's book but not quite as much fun as the third book Clarice Bean, Don't Look Now.

Clarice is a lovely, sweet character but no angel. As she comments on things that happen and what adults say there's some giggly and some belly laugh moments. It's nice that Clarice grows up as the series progresses but there's much more story to get to grips with in the third book than the first. I still have to read the second book.
Ubalstecha
Clarice Bean loves to read, specifically the Ruby Redford mysteries. So when her teacher announces the author's fair, Clarice, along with her best friend, Betty Moody, plan to do their project on Ruby. But her teacher feels that this is not real literature, throwing a series of obstacles in their path. Then the school's Author Fair trophy goes missing. Can Clarice use what she's learned from Ruby Redford to solve the mystery.

A silly, wonderful chapter book that brings the picture book heroine in
Ivanie
Sep 09, 2011 Ivanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author made this book in form of a diary. The author's purpose for writing this book is for people not to jump to conclusions fight away. When you have mysteries/ questions to solve; you should observe, don't jump to conclusions right away. Many times if you jump to conclusions you might be wrong. I love the parts when the author put pieces of the story that Clarice Bean was reading inside the book itself. When the author put the story in the book you would understand how Clarice Bean was so ...more
I think that Clarice Bean is a delightful character that I can easily get along with, following her life and her troubles. I am usually entertained by her antics. This book however, wasn't as entertaining as some of the other Clarice Bean books, and I'm not really sure why. I liked this book, but I just didn't think it was as well written as some of Lauren Child's other books. I would probably still recommend this to fans of Clarice Bean though.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatm
Meegan
I picked up this book at first because I love Lauren Child’s Charlie and Lola series. Clarice is sort of an older Lola, but not as smart or as cheeky. At first, I liked Clarice, but then I just became annoyed. Yet I forced myself to take a step back and analyze Clarice. She is very normal for girls her age, heck, even my sister acted like Clarice! In the end, everything gets cleared up but I was surprised there wasn’t more of a mystery. I would probably recommend this book to girls within the se ...more
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. Children's Fiction, Pink Cover, "Caitlin" Title [s] 11 54 Jul 17, 2014 08:03PM
THIS BOOK IS THE BEST! 9 31 Dec 19, 2013 08:37AM
  • Something's Fishy, Hazel Green (Hazel Green, #2)
  • 45 + 47 Stella Street And Everything That Happened (Stella Street, #1)
  • Jennings  Darbishire
  • Brendon Chase
  • The Swish of the Curtain
  • Children on the Oregon Trail
  • Tashi (Tashi, #1)
  • Arizona (Lucky Luke #3)
42016
Lauren Child grew up in Wiltshire as the middle child of three sisters and the daughter of two teachers. She has always been interested in the many aspects of childhood, from gazing into toy shop windows to watching American children's shows from the 1960s. After attending two Art Schools, where Lauren admits that she did not learn much, she travelled for six months, still unsure about which caree ...more
More about Lauren Child...

Clarice Bean (7 books)
  • Clarice Bean, That's Me!
  • My Uncle Is a Hunkle, Says Clarice Bean
  • Clarice Bean, Guess Who's Babysitting?
  • What Planet Are You From, Clarice Bean?
  • Clarice Bean Spells Trouble
  • Clarice Bean, Don't Look Now (Clarice Bean)

“I say 'Mom, how come you don't change into an evening gown for dinner?' She says 'I do, it's called a bath robe. [...]” 12 likes
“And they have a display of bananas, which are not bananas but called plantains and are more like a potato pretending to be a banana.” 10 likes