Start by marking “Utterly Me, Clarice Bean” as Want to Read:
Utterly Me, Clarice Bean

Utterly Me, Clarice Bean (Clarice Bean #5)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  2,685 ratings  ·  245 reviews
Introducing the feisty Clarice Bean to a whole new and older audience, this volume concerns Clarice and her friend Betty Moody and their overwhelming desire to have adventures whilst becoming ace detectives.
Published 2003 by Orchard Books (first published October 7th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Utterly Me, Clarice Bean, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Utterly Me, Clarice Bean

Limau Nipis
Utterly Me, Clarice Bean is a simple book for primary school kid. I bought it for my 9 years old daughter, but I was the one who starts to read the book. I did not realise that Lauren Child writes this series. I know that the author is famous for the Charlie and Lola series.

This book is really full of imagination. The writings are easy, and unique - accompanied by illustrations and different fonts.

This book utilises the love of Clarice Bean playing detective to search for the missing cup. Added
Lissa
I read this a while ago but I still love it. It is so funny and entertaining and I don't think age matters.
Kirsten
Darling book, love how clarice talks/thinks. Like Lola!
Devon Flaherty
The Clarice Bean trilogy by Lauren Child, published from 1999-2006. The series includes, in order, Utterly Me Clarice Bean, Clarice Bean Spells Trouble, and Clarice Bean Don’t Look Now. There are three more books related to the series, but they are picture books and I did not read them.

Best I can decipher, Child started her uber-English writing career with the invention of the Clarice Bean character, but a year later had caught the world’s attention with the first Charlie and Lola book. Now, all
Aleya Godoy
This is a story of a girl who tries to be a spy like a character in a book she really likes. I started reading this book towards the beginning of my second semester in school. I finished the book within a week. While reading this book, you can feel the adventure that Clarice Bean goes through trying to be this character in her favorite book.

The story begins with a hard headed girl, who always was interested and curious in everything. She has problems in her school with one of her teachers who a
Donkeysaurusrex
This is an utterly amazing little book!

I love how, as in all Lauren Child's offerings, the peculiarly ornate structure of a child's speech is so accurately and hysterically portrayed. Clarice Bean has heard and vaguely understood the word 'utterly', which for children is enough to use it in every situation regardless of its appropriateness or accuracy. The peppering throughout the book of oddly placed adverbs and misused turns of phrase adds to the charm and is makes it so much more realistic an
Charlotte Lynn
I know this book is targeted for primary school readers but I remembered reading this book as a child and although my younger sister has it on her bookcase now, I couldn't resist writing a review of it.
It's funny, original and the series is a perfect stepping stone to slightly higher reading. It's by the same lady who wrote Charlie and Lola so the occasional doodle on the edge of the page is familiar and creative. I remember it to be my personal favourite at the age of about eight and I know my
Lija
I reread this book for about the 30th time today (seriously I read this so many times as a kid that I can still quote it) and it's still absolutely wonderful! It's so much fun!
Meegan
I picked up this book at first because I love Lauren Child’s Charlie and Lola series. Clarice is sort of an older Lola, but not as smart or as cheeky. At first, I liked Clarice, but then I just became annoyed. Yet I forced myself to take a step back and analyze Clarice. She is very normal for girls her age, heck, even my sister acted like Clarice! In the end, everything gets cleared up but I was surprised there wasn’t more of a mystery. I would probably recommend this book to girls within the se ...more
Tahleen
When Clarice Bean gets a chance to use her favorite book series, the Ruby Redfort detective mysteries, in a school competition, she does her best to think of a project that will win. Even if she ends up with Karl Wrenbury, the class troublemaker, as her partner, and even if her teacher Mrs. Wilberton says that “a common housefly has got more ability to apply itself” than she does (13). The problem is, she needs to prove she’s learned something from Ruby Redfort, and she can’t think of one thing. ...more
Amina
Utterly Me, Clarice Bean by Lauren Child is a great book that can be used in the classroom in the form of shared class reading at the end of the day. The story is about Clarice Bean who relates her favourite book the Ruby Redford Mysteries within the happenings of her whole life. She aspires to be like her and can really relate to her. So when Mrs Wilberton at school assigns the class a book project with a prize up for grabs for best project, Clarice Bean bases her book project around the Ruby R ...more
Brian James
As Clarice's class prepares their utterly important book projects, mysterious things begin to happen. First there is a flood in the boys bathroom, then the winner's cup goes missing, and to top it all off, her best friend has completely vanished. In fact, things are beginning to resemble the events in her favorite book series about Ruby Redfort, a child secret agent. It's hard for Clarice to concentrate on book projects with so much going on around her.

I've always been a fan of Lauren Child's wo
Ali Mac
Mainly: Short and sweet, but not good enough to receive a four or five star rating. Ruby Redfort, one of my favorite books, is mentioned as Clarice Bean's favorite book ever in this. Lauren Child's fans begged for Ruby Redfort books, and so Child wrote two, a third coming on the way, I hope; there are rumors of a cliffhanger or an unfinished ending of sorts. No offense to the author of both books, and not this Patricia F. Maplin Stacey, of course (Child should've signed her name Patricia F. Mapl ...more
Lorna Hetherington
This is a relatable story about a young girl, Clarice Bean, who is currently reading one of her favourite books about a detective named Ruby Redfort. The only trouble is Clarice Bean feels like her life is just not as exciting as Ruby’s, when in fact, they are fairly similar. Meanwhile, at school, Clarice Bean is set a boring book project, which does not interest her at all, until she finds out there is a trophy and mystery prize up for grabs.

Utterly Me, Clarice Bean is a highly enjoyable book,
Alison
For a long time I avoided Utterly Me, Clarice Bean as I am not a great fan of Charlie and Lola. I was urged to read it by a friend, and she was quite right. I adored it! Clarice is a wonderful creation, with her big, noisy family, problems with friends and school, and her bemusement at daily life. I can imagine the children reading along getting the enjoyment of seeing the pratfalls and getting the jokes that Clarice doesn't quite.

The premise of the story is that Clarice and her best friend, Be
Carrie
M: I thought it was ok, but I wouldn't give it 5 stars. I liked that Clarice solved a mystery just like Ruby Redfort. I didn't like her teacher, Mrs. Wilberton. I thought it was funny when they mentioned that the boys' toilets overflowed. We Love her funny stories!
C: We have enjoyed Lauren Child's books, especially Charlie and Lola and Pippy Longstocking. We love her illustrations. This story wasn't quite as captivating as others we've enjoyed.
Clarice Lim
Apr 11, 2008 Clarice Lim rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: my best friend
Recommended to Clarice by: cousin
i find the book Clarice Bean interesting because it is hilarious and it describes alot.

this book is about a girl name clarice Bean who loves to rean a book called Ruby redfort. Ruby Redfort is a secret angent. And Clarice wants to be like her , not because she is a secret agent , it's because she is rich!
Clarice Bean's father is a manager , her mother is a dance teacher who always dance while cooking (that's why her mother's cooking is bad)!

clarice's has six members in her family. she sometim
Rebecca Stonehill
I liked that Clarice Bean was very addicted to series of Ruby Redfort detective books. At first I thought that Ruby Redfort was Clarice Bean's friend, then I realised that it was just her favourite book series! I thought this book was funny because it had the phrase 'utterly' again and again.

(Review by Maya, age 8, Rebecca's daughter)
Amy
WOW! I loved this book. At the start of it I only read it for the premiers reading challenge but now i asked my mum to borrow the whole series from the library. Lauren Child's book are always great with discriptive language and fun illustrations. If you are a ten yr old girl that likes reading you will love this.
Carole
Picked this up to read in the bath and found this to be a thoroughly engaging book. My skin was quite wishy washy when I got out - ha ha. Brilliant children's author. I can recommend Clarice Bean and the Charlie and Lola books to any parent, even if their children never get around to reading them. :D
nicole
"Her sneakers have special springing power so she can jump over her enemies, and her bathing suit has a built-in propeller so she can swim as fast as a mackerel."

That sentence describes Ruby Redford, fictitious fictitious Cooler-than-Nancy-Drew idol to Clarice Bean, but any book that measures speed in relation to mackerels is a book I'm interested in.

Really fun books. Lots of Lauren Child's signature illustration , and uh... what's it called when text layout echoes the subject of the sentence? Y
Charlotte Workman
Clarice Bean is a character who at the time that I read this book I could easily relate to. A young girl with great ambitions to follow the life of a character in her book.

I loved this book and as it was a pretty easy read I think that I may read it again. Who cares what the target market was!
Patricia Puddle
Feb 08, 2011 Patricia Puddle rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Six to Nine year-olds.
Recommended to Patricia by: Saw it in a book shop.

Utterly Me is a great fun books for young girls, and maybe boys too. The illustrations were fantastic, and the way the book is set out was quite different. It sent me a little dizzy with all the squiggles, but kids will find it fun.

The dialogue was well suited to the age group and it's written in a way that even beginner readers can enjoy it.

I highly recommend it for kids and parents that like to read to kids.

Velvet Ball and The Broken Fairy

Star-Crossed Rascals

Littlemasher
I think Clarice Bean is funny.Mrs.Wilberton sounds like a mean teacher and the Ruby Redfort books look cool too!I must have been weird to see letters witthout names.But it's cool solving myteries,too.
Samantha Bryce
Lauren Child is perfect at capturing your heart and the character as well in all of her works. Clarice Bean is so enjoyable and my brothers and I always had a good laugh reading it.
Safa
This book was written in a spoken/dialogue kind of way- which would be wonderful for a (let me guess) 3rd/4th/5th grade reader. It is quick and witty, at times reminiscent of the early 2000’s Disney television series The Famous Jett Jackson where there is a weaving between Jett’s real life and his alter ego, Clarice Bean’s life ends up having just as much excitements as Ruby Redfort, the lead in her favorite novels.

It was hard for me to get super into the story, because of the obvious reading le
Gracie
This is a great book about overly-excited Clarice B. She just cannot sit still as hard as she tries! I loved how the print in this book was as unconfirmed as Clarice.
Kris McCracken
Ezra and I finished this one last night. A great little novel to read together, with plenty of opportunity to hone your impressions of teachers that you never liked.
Em
I have been reading this book to my six year old daughters and they have loved it! So much so they've been sneakily reading ahead and knew how it ended before I did.

I asked what they thought about the characters - the girls say that Clarice is funny and serious! Make of that what you will... I asked what they'd give this book out of 5 and was told 100 out of 100, so translating that to 5 stars on their behalf.

I liked this book because Lauren Child writes childrens voices amazingly well, the stor
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. Children's Fiction, Pink Cover, "Caitlin" Title [s] 11 48 Jul 17, 2014 08:03PM
THIS BOOK IS THE BEST! 9 31 Dec 19, 2013 08:37AM
  • Something's Fishy, Hazel Green
  • 45 + 47 Stella Street And Everything That Happened (Stella Street, #1)
  • The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm
  • The Ship That Flew
  • La regina dei Caraibi
  • Fire, Bed, and Bone
  • Brendon Chase
  • Mein Urgroßvater und ich (SZ Junge Bibliothek, #7)
  • The Cucumber King
  • The Wind on the Moon
  • Grinny
42016
Lauren Child grew up in Wiltshire as the middle child of three sisters and the daughter of two teachers. She has always been interested in the many aspects of childhood, from gazing into toy shop windows to watching American children's shows from the 1960s. After attending two Art Schools, where Lauren admits that she did not learn much, she travelled for six months, still unsure about which caree ...more
More about Lauren Child...

Clarice Bean (7 books)
  • Clarice Bean, That's Me!
  • My Uncle Is a Hunkle, Says Clarice Bean
  • Clarice Bean, Guess Who's Babysitting?
  • What Planet Are You From, Clarice Bean?
  • Clarice Bean Spells Trouble
  • Clarice Bean, Don't Look Now (Clarice Bean)
I Will Never Not Ever Eat a Tomato The Princess and the Pea Look Into My Eyes (Ruby Redfort, #1) Clarice Bean Spells Trouble Clarice Bean, Don't Look Now (Clarice Bean)

“I say 'Mom, how come you don't change into an evening gown for dinner?' She says 'I do, it's called a bath robe. [...]” 13 likes
“And they have a display of bananas, which are not bananas but called plantains and are more like a potato pretending to be a banana.” 11 likes