Rustic Fruit Desserts: Crumbles, Buckles, Cobblers, Pandowdies, and More

Rustic Fruit Desserts: Crumbles, Buckles, Cobblers, Pandowdies, and More

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  408 ratings  ·  32 reviews
An early fall cobbler with blackberries bubbling in their juice beneath a golden cream biscuit. A crunchy oatmeal crisp made with mid-summer’s nectarines and raspberries. Or a comforting pear bread pudding to soften a harsh winter’s day. Simple, scrumptious, cherished–these heritage desserts featuring local fruit are thankfully experiencing a long-due revival.

In Rustic Fru...more
Published October 20th 2010 by Ten Speed Press (first published April 28th 2009)

Sandra
Mar 28, 2010 Sandra rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All cooks who like making desserts using fruits
Recommended to Sandra by: Chris
My first dessert did not turn out well (Grandma Freeman's Jam Cake with Brown Sugar Icing), but I will admit to baking errors. The first was over baking. It should be very moist when removed from the oven. Thus, it was just a little on the dry side. The other error was putting the hot icing on a cold cake. The icing recipe called for rum. But our liquor store is closed on Mondays, thus I stored the cake in the fridge till Tuesday, thus hot boiled icing on a cold cake, equals cracked, hard icing!...more
I love this book. After I bought it, I ran home and made the upside-down pear chocolate cake. It was amazing. Perfectly moist the pears ended up looking like an abstract rose on the top. The pictures are amazing and the recipes simple and straight forward. Definitely one I will be using a lot in the future.
Kerry
I really really really want to try and make some of this stuff! I could only give it 4 stars for now because I've only read the book not baked anything, but let me tell you it looks like some of these could have come directly from my Grammy's oven (I swear it was from the 50's and the best stuff came out of it.)
Judy
This is a wonderful book in many ways. It has all kinds of old-fashioned baked fruit desserts (with awesome names like slump, buckle, pandowdy as well as the more traditional pies, crisps, etc.) I have made two of the recipes so far. One -- nectarine, boysenberry, and almond crisp -- is in the oven right now, and the other, stone fruit tea cake, I have made twice, to enthusiastic and concentrated eating.

I like the fact that you don't even need to roll out a crust for many of these. I also like t...more
Heydi Smith
A good fruit dessert cookbook but I wish it had more blackberry recipes in it.
Suzanne
I would give this cookbook a 3.5 rating. Not because there is anything really wrong with the recipes, but because it is not an overly practical book. Most of the recipes use fruits specific to the Northwestern US that are hard to find elsewhere. (Really, how much rhubarb do you think we grow in the South?) This is especially difficult for those of us who are trying to support local farmers by buying locally and seasonally. The two recipes I've tried were good, but nothing special. The marketing...more
Elizabeth
Fantastic recipes, Alaska appropriate.
Brianna
So far I've only made the rhubarb buckle with ginger crumb, but it was great, and I want to make just about all of the recipes in this book. I am especially looking forward to the sour cherry cobbler, and the gingered peach and blackberry pandowdy...

Update: the lemon buttermilk rhubarb bundt cake was great, and the rhubarb cream cheese pie with fresh strawberries was fabulous. If you like fruit desserts, you should have this book.
Aja Marsh
Some fun desserts in here-- a few that have inspired me to use up the nectarines and sour cherries I froze over the summer but haven't been sure what to do with. I don't bake much, but most of the recipes in here I'll have to alter to suit my more "wholesome" approach to desserts, but that's easy enough. The recipes are all pretty simple and straightforward, not using a ton of speciality ingredients, and is organized seasonally.
Dayna
I have made several recipes from this cookbook, all of them good. The stone fruit tea bread was amazing...I think that the fresh, homegrown apricots might have had something to do with that! While all of the recipes are rustic fruit desserts, there's still great variety. Not all of it is syrupy fruit and golden crust though, there are other fruit based desserts thrown in. Also, it is sorted by seasons, which I like.
Wilma
I loved this book that broke down basic desserts by the season. These are simple recipes you can incorporate into your meals and have your kids help you make them. Some recipes are more complex than others, but there is easily something for everyone. I've put every single one of these recipes into my meal plans for this year...every single one!
Benjamin
The book is really aesthetically pleasing, with beautiful photos, heavy paper stock, and warm colors. And the recipes look really, really good. Unfortunately, there's very little in the way of what I would consider to be everyday recipes. These are desserts you'll want to have plenty of time to prepare and a gathering of friends to show off to.
Millicent
A recipe book for down to earth homely fruit dishes. I made the apple crumble, and the pear-raspberry ginger pandowdy. I found both to be too sour. I was introduced to many flavor and ingredient combinations I hadn't thought of before, but I think I'll design my own recipes, since the result from the dishes I tried weren't stellar.
yoli
Could have used more pictures of the finished recipes (I like to "know" what I'm making) although the techniques and fruit information are very helpful. The patterns weren't real my style but basic concepts are good. I liked how there was regional anecdotes for most of the recipes, really makes me want to see the Pacific Northwest!
Miss Clark
A lot of tasty and fairly simple fruit desserts which focus on in-season fruit and strongly recommend you use locally grown when possible, which I agree with heartily.

My favorites were the Lemon Buttermilk Rhubarb Bundt Cake, Cherry Almond Bars, Raspberry Red Currant Cobbler, Grape Galette, and Lemon Blueberry Buckle.
Colleen
Really wonderful baking book with lots of unique takes on traditional fruit desserts. Loved learning about all the different types of fruit desserts (crumble, crisp, grunt, betty, etc.) and would love to use again at autumn.
Scelena
Awesome cookbook organized by seasons to accomodate what's available in the NW. I made a delicious crumble that was a hit at a dinner party--I borrowed this from the library and will now buy it so I can use it every season.
Kathryn
My oh my there are some yummy recipes in this book. The book is setup by using utilizing what fresh fruits are available. AND, she tells the differences between cobblers, slumps, galettes, grunts and many more!
Kim
Wonderful recipes and gorgeous photos. Explains the differences between pandowdies, buckles, etc and breaks the recipes down by season. A little heavy on the rhubarb recipes.
Kim Forsythe
The pie/cobber is my favorite dessert and this book brings them together by season. Beautiful fruit desserts plus a great reference guide to the different types of pies.
Annette
I want to gorge myself on every recipe in here. So far everything I've made has been delicious. The recipes are simple and easy to follow. Love that it's broken up by season.
Png
Mar 18, 2013 Png rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Png by: goodreads
Shelves: cookbooks
An ingenious concept of categorising desserts by the seasons. There are descriptions on fruits relevant to each recipe. Recipes are a must-try in my kitchen.
kimberly
haven't made anything from this, YET. but did take a few snaps of some recipes. i like that some of these seem super easy with little prep.
Stacy
Fantastic. Everything I've made from this book has been bakery-quality level. Delicious - a must for fruit dessert lovers.
Janet
Good stuff. Made the apple pandowdy and copied the recipe for the cranberry bread to be made another time. Yum.
Courtney
Can't wait until berry season to make these recipes. But great year round recipes too.
Chelsea Whitney
Nov 03, 2010 Chelsea Whitney is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic! I love that the recipes are layed out by season.
Melissa
Excellent cookbook full of desserts organized by seasons.
Deanna
These sound so yummy and would be easy to make.
Cody Toye
This book terrified me, I'm afraid of fruit cake.
  • Bon Appetit, Y'all: Recipes and Stories from Three Generations of Southern Cooking
  • Good to the Grain: Baking with Whole-Grain Flours
  • Miette: Recipes from San Francisco's Most Charming Pastry Shop
  • Asian Dumplings: Mastering Gyoza, Spring Rolls, Samosas, and More
  • Baking
  • Southern Cakes: Sweet and Irresistible Recipes for Everyday Celebrations
  • Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented
  • Saveur: The New Comfort Food: Home Cooking from Around the World
  • The Blue Chair Jam Cookbook
  • The Pastry Queen: Royally Good Recipes From the Texas Hill Country's Rather Sweet Bakery and Cafe
  • Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey: Desserts for the Serious Sweet Tooth
  • The Art and Soul of Baking
  • The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook: Old Fashioned Recipes From New York's Sweetest Bakery
  • Ready for Dessert: My Best Recipes
  • All Cakes Considered: A Year's Worth of Weekly Recipes Tested, Tasted, and Approved by the Staff of NPR's All Things Considered
  • Canning for a New Generation: Bold, Fresh Flavors for the Modern Pantry
  • Vintage Cakes: Timeless Recipes for Cupcakes, Flips, Rolls, Layer, Angel, Bundt, Chiffon, and Icebox Cakes for Today's Sweet Tooth
  • Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day: Fast and Easy Recipes for World-Class Breads
Wildwood: Cooking from the Source in the Pacific Northwest Chefs A' Field