Start by marking “The Punisher MAX, Vol. 8: Widowmaker” as Want to Read:
The Punisher MAX, Vol. 8: Widowmaker

The Punisher MAX, Vol. 8: Widowmaker (The Punisher MAX #8)

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  826 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Collects Punisher MAX #43-49.
Published September 19th 2007 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about The Punisher MAX, Vol. 8, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Punisher MAX, Vol. 8

Steve
Jan 06, 2009 Steve rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Maybe not the best work Ennis did with the Punisher but it's an interesting take on the violence the Punisher leaves in his wake, the unseen consequences of his actions . It invokes the idea of the cycle of violence never ending, that he is creating victims just as much as those who killed his family, but sadly those characters on the receiving end of that violence who have lost loved ones at his hands are a bit too depraved to really make it a worthwhile debate. And then the other main characte ...more
Jedhua
Book Info: This collection contains Punisher MAX issues #43-49.

This had to be the weakest arc for Ennis thus far, but even so, still quite readable. I'm sure this arc could have benefited from less flashbacks and backstory, as well as one less issue. There were certainly some powerful moments in this collection, but in the end, it seems like the widows' story was just not quite strong enough to hold up to what we've come to expect from Punisher MAX.
Cavocorax
Dec 08, 2015 Cavocorax rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
What's it about? The Punisher doesn't hold back when he metes out justice, so it's no surprise that he has left many widows out there who seek revenge. This time, a group of them are determined to work together and trap/kill him.

Why did I read it?: It was rec'd to me by J.

Favourite idea/part?: I liked that the entire series was about women, and the Punisher was just ... sorta incidental?

Overall: It was better than I expected! Yes, it was dark and incredibly violent, but I was pulled in by the st
Stephen
Sep 03, 2010 Stephen rated it liked it
Not bad. The weak link in the Ennis run.
Liam Berry
Feb 14, 2014 Liam Berry rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Possibly my least favourite of the Ennis Punisher run so far, the main concept felt hokey and forced and I really didn't like the characters making up the group of widows or the ending for that matter. I did like the moments where Castle is meditating on the cumulative effect all the violence he has committed might be having on him but this felt like it wasn't really explored enough. I'm hoping that the final two collected editions focus more on this side of his character. Still, another enjoyab ...more
Sam Quixote
Sep 18, 2011 Sam Quixote rated it really liked it
Ever wonder what happens to the partners of the criminals Frank Castle punishes? Well, some of these widows get together in this book to kill Frank for his antics in Book 1 of this series. Meanwhile, a mysterious figure is killing men and on the trail of these femme fatales and a disgraced cop is put into a troubling position.

One of the best things about this series Garth Ennis has introduced into the Punisher world is that Frank can be a catalyst to a much bigger and more interesting story inv
Angel
Mar 15, 2009 Angel rated it really liked it
While I like The Punisher, he is not a character I follow regularly. The title of this volume caught my eye, and when I read the description, the premise was interesting: the widows of men The Punisher has killed in his mission team up to try to take him down. Ennis had a good run on The Punisher series, and it shows here. These women are not innocent victims; they took benefit of their families' and spouses' fortunes, making them part of the criminal enterprises. And yet, for some, there may be ...more
Hasse
Nov 23, 2014 Hasse rated it really liked it
Shelves: notfantasy, comics
For being a Garth Ennis script it's very little graphic violence. It's there of course but instead he has focused on the result of revenge and what it does to people.
Nice one and a keeper.
Cory Rathbun
Jul 03, 2015 Cory Rathbun rated it it was amazing
Dark and crazy. The damage done to the people left behind, who've been hurt already. It was one of the more emotional collections in a while. Respect it, even if you can't like it.
Mark Trenier
Jul 02, 2015 Mark Trenier rated it it was amazing
An excellent graphic novel if you can get past the brutal violence, the vulgar language and the usual mayhem
Sean
Dec 28, 2015 Sean rated it liked it
3 1/2 really
Rachel Dolan
Apr 24, 2008 Rachel Dolan rated it liked it
I'm not the biggest Punisher fan, but Mike is, so I end up reading a lot of these. The Punisher is an interesting character, and the excellent Punisher Born gives him an amazing backstory, but mostly he's a bit too violent for me. That being said, I really enjoyed this story, where he is up against the wives of 4or 5 men he killed. An interesting focus on women in such a violent series.
CJ Louis
Jan 29, 2013 CJ Louis rated it it was amazing
This is amazingly written and drawn, the story is well thought out and put together. I really respect that the story follows a timeline and does not change to allow things in. Once I picked the first issue up I could not put it back down, I had to keep reading. This was time well spent and I recommend this series to all comic book fans and non fans.
Travis
Apr 07, 2011 Travis rated it really liked it
Very in your face and brutal but it's the Punisher so that's to be expected. Not sure why but I found this story super enjoyable. Maybe it was all the girls in it I don't know. One thing, you almost feel bad for all the Punisher's victims. Almost. Then you remember they are scum bags and that it's not revenge, it's punishment :)
Michael
Jan 12, 2013 Michael rated it liked it
Steven Gaskin
Nov 13, 2010 Steven Gaskin rated it liked it
A interesting aside on the Punisher Max journey, but as Castle spends a significant number of pages out of the picture, it feels light. Plus his adversaries came across as comedic, which I doubt was the intention.
Michael
Oct 12, 2008 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A decent volume. It seems like Ennis struggles to draw a narrative that makes the most of Frank's emotions despite his perpetual silence.
Pinkbullets
Mar 03, 2010 Pinkbullets rated it really liked it
time for revenge - five widows of the mafiosi the Punisher had killed in Vol. 1 come together to plan their revenge on Frank Castle
Seizure Romero
In a startling surprise ending and completely unlike every other Punisher episode penned by Garth Ennis, almost everybody dies.
Stephen
Mar 31, 2010 Stephen rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Some of the best writing and worst art work in the series.
Timo
Nov 14, 2011 Timo rated it it was amazing
High drama.
Paul Cathcart
Jun 19, 2013 Paul Cathcart rated it it was amazing
Loved it.
Toddball
Toddball marked it as to-read
Mila
Mila marked it as to-read
Comics
Comics rated it it was amazing
Robin
Robin rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2016
Tyler Villhauer
Tyler Villhauer marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Augustus Finch
Augustus Finch rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Edward N
Edward N marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Dustin Goodwin
Dustin Goodwin marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
  • PunisherMAX, Vol. 1: Kingpin
  • The Punisher MAX, Vol. 13: Welcome to the Bayou
  • The Punisher MAX, Vol. 11: Girls in White Dresses
  • The Punisher MAX, Vol. 12: Six Hours to Kill
  • Conan, Vol. 4: The Halls of the Dead and Other Stories
  • The Punisher by Greg Rucka, Vol. 3
  • Daredevil, Vol. 15: The Devil, Inside and Out, Vol. 2
Ennis began his comic-writing career in 1989 with the series Troubled Souls. Appearing in the short-lived but critically-acclaimed British anthology Crisis and illustrated by McCrea, it told the story of a young, apolitical Protestant man caught up by fate in the violence of the Irish 'Troubles'. It spawned a sequel, For a Few Troubles More, a broad Belfast-based comedy featuring two supporting ch ...more
More about Garth Ennis...

The Punisher MAX (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Punisher MAX, Vol. 1: In the Beginning