Assholeology: The Science Behind Getting Your Way - And Getting Away with It

Steve Carrell--the Pretend Asshole
Ari Gold--the Hollywood Asshole
Simon Cowell--the Trying-Too-Hard Asshole
Mickey Rourke--the Reformed Asshole
Barney Stintson--the True AssholeTo truly be an asshole is an art form. It requires the perpetrator to be cocky yet quietly confident, snide as well as sincere, sneaky while in your face. Better men than most have failed miserably...more
Unknown Binding, 224 pages
Published January 1st 2012 by Adams Media Corporation (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Assholeology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Assholeology

Barbara Watkins
Okay listen up people - you have to read this book! The second I read the description of A**holeology" (The Science Behind Getting Your Way - and Getting Away with it) I was rapt. Who knew that being an A**hole could be so much fun! Steven B. Green, Dennis LaValle, and Chris Illuminati together cleverly master the art of comedic timing.

I opened the book and began to explore important questions such as (What Makes an A**hole?) (Why Be an A**hole?) And, the all-important question do I (Have what...more
Shannon
Dec 11, 2009 Shannon marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Yeah like I need this book.
*Queen Diva*
Actual rating: 2.5

Well... this book certainly wasn't as hilarious as I was hoping for... but it wasn't entirely boring either. It is just kind of there...

Though halfway through the book I was starting to wonder how one would be an asshole if they followed these steps because it was all about being nice. I get it... build up the niceness so you can be an asshole and get away with it...but a book about telling you how to be an asshole, one would assume, would tell you how to go about being a prope...more
FinanceIndonesia.org
Buku ini memberikan pelajaran dan info bagaimana cara seorang licik menjalankan kelicikannya untuk mencapai tujuan dan targetnya di dalam suatu perusahaan. Disini juga digambarkan bagaimana mereka berperilaku di dalam suatu acara, kegiatan dan kesempatan tertentu. Buat saya buku ini menghibur dan memberikan inspirasi. Setidaknya kita menjadi tahu bagaimana menjadi seorang yang licik dan tentu saja yang terbaik adalah bagaimana bereaksi terhadap seseorang yang memiliki tipe ini di dalam berbagai...more
Jack Oughton
content: 30% self help, 30% comedy, 25% pickup/dating 15% cocktail making
Torin La
Loved this book.
Kent M.
I picked this up for a few dollars for a quick laugh. Certainly the book failed to deliver in that respect. Essentially, this is a guidebook for low-grade sociopathy, not for an asshole. Every asshole I've dealt with in business has ambition and drive, whereas the individual crafted by this book promises to be a drain on our collective resources for years to come. This book is a must-have text for the meek, the timid, the lazy and the unintelligent.
Chris Karpyszyn
This book is what it is, a guide to becoming a better man. It's also a huge joke. So take it for what it is.

The highlight of the book however is the Cocktail appendix. There are recipes to about 30 great drinks. Simple, unadulterated drinks for real men. Learn them and drink them and never be embarrassed drinking an Appletini at the company outing where Real Men Discuss Things.
Will Wilson
What a terrible waste of paper. It seems like the author wrote about 3 pages of material, then added whitespace, increased the font size, and repeated sentences until they had 100 pages. Then they put in some mixed drink suggestions at the end for no discernible reason except to increase the page count.

Do not waste your time with this sorry excuse for a book.
Jack Buck
a neighbor lent me this book to read, said it was funny. it was not funny. it was moronic. it was so bad that i felt like i had to finish it. you know that feeling when you are watching a movie that is just so awful that you watch it through just out of curiosity? Well, that is this book.
Mysterious
This book aims for the lowest common denominator... and misses. Somehow manages to be both devoid of content and annoyingly repetitive. Under no circumstances should you pay any money for this "book."

If you want asshole humor that's actually funny, check out anything Denis Leary's stuff.
Blaxpurp
A good read for the common asshole. I'm one myself, so it was more a refresher of how I already am. The books a quick read and gives clear, concise descriptions of what an asshole is and what douchebag is. Get it for a friend, but read it first..Hey, it's what an asshole would do.
Dustin Gaughran
Very funny. It's basically a guide to becoming an asshole. But it's written in a way that actually makes it sound like it's a life choice worth making. It's equal parts parody and genuinely good advice. It's a quick read, so give it a try. If nothing else, it's funny.
Chris Illuminati
Dec 26, 2009 Chris Illuminati rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This is the greatest book written about Assholes since...well..ever. Everything you ever wanted to know and didn't really ever want to know about the science behind getting your way and getting away with it. Makes a great gift or doorstop.
Andrea Delesdernier
I've enjoy Chris Illuminati's blog and his entertaining and funny Twitter posts on everything from pop culture to entertainment. I'm really looking forward to reading his book on Assholeolgy. I mean, everybody's got one.
Kathy
This book was OK, but not like I thought it would be at all. Definitely better for wimpy guys than kick ass girls.
Oh, and the 8 million pages of drink mixes? Give me a break, what a bunch of stupid filler... oh well.
Shawn Linn
Some people would say I am already a pro. This book is very tongue-in-cheek, but there is actually very practical, helpful information for people who have confidence issues, like moi.
Richie
Funny, quick, humorous read. Highly enjoyable. What makes this book truly funny is that in almost every example the book gives reminded me of someone I've came in contact with.
Matthew
It was a bit stupid, but a bit interesting at the same time. The drink list appendix and particularly the quotes from TV, movies and books were amusing.
Warren
Read it a couple years back. Don't remember too much about it except thinking "well, obviously." quite often.
Mohammad Rezaei Niya
I am sorry that this book has been written! It is a really bad sign for society!
Michael
Funny and very good read!! enjoyed every page of it and had some helpful things in it!
John
Actually a fun book to read - not recommended for minors but fun.
Justin
I've flipped through a few chapters here and there, still reading...
Ocralph714
This book pretty much confirmed what I already know!!!!
Bradley
it works. mostly. i still benefit from it's practices.
Ryan Roy
Thought the book was outstanding!!! Couldn't put it down...
Sherri
An interesting look into how some men think/act.
John Tucă
Este cel putin amuzanta.
  • In the Line of Fire: How to Handle Tough Questions...When It Counts
  • How to Win Every Argument: The Use and Abuse of Logic
  • The Living End (Lannan Selection)
  • December 1941: The Month That Changed America And Saved The World
  • Critical Thinking: Tools for Taking Charge of Your Professional and Personal Life
  • 98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive
  • It Is Dangerous to Be Right When the Government Is Wrong: The Case for Personal Freedom
  • Success is Not an Accident: Change Your Choices Change Your Life
  • Retirementology: Rethinking the American Dream in a New Economy
  • Power Up Your Brain: The Neuroscience of Enlightenment
  • Wisdom: From Philosophy to Neuroscience
  • Winning the Zero Moment of Truth - ZMOT (Enhanced Version)
  • Deadlock (John Hutchinson, #2)
  • Wild Romance: A Victorian Story of a Marriage, a Trial, and a Self-Made Woman
  • Trial by Fire (Scott Dixon, #3)
  • 1,001 Facts That Will Scare the S#*t Out of You: The Ultimate Bathroom Reader
  • The Sleepeasy Solution: The Exhausted Parent's Guide to Getting Your Child to Sleep from Birth to Age 5
  • Mindhacker: 60 Tips, Tricks, and Games to Take Your Mind to the Next Level

“You can't get a personal computer to work without Windows (this is under the assumption you can actually get Windows to work).” 1 likes