Becoming (Otherworld Stories, #0.09)

Becoming (Otherworld Stories 0.09)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  1,875 ratings  ·  63 reviews
This free online graphic novella tells the story of Elena’s “becoming” a werewolf—that dark period from the time Clay bites her through her escape to Toronto.
Online eBook, 28 pages
Published August 31st 2011

Sasha's Story by Andromeda BlissSilver Shark by Ilona AndrewsTales From The SFR Brigade by J.C. CasselsCyborg Spell Shop by James ChalkSilent Blade by Ilona Andrews
Fantasy/UF/PNR/Sci Fi Shorts
14th out of 130 books — 72 voters
Prince of Wolves by Quinn LoftisShiver by Maggie StiefvaterBlood Rites by Quinn LoftisLinger by Maggie StiefvaterNightshade by Andrea Cremer
Werewolves
131st out of 526 books — 799 voters

More lists with this book...

Natasha
I loved it. I'm a huge fan of Kelley Armstrong and I'm also a huge fan of graphic novels, so when my favorite novels are made into graphic novels, then I have to check them out. I was so glad I checked this one out, but I can't believe I didn't already read this. What took me so long?

If you read Woman Of The Otherworld novels already, then this is a must read. Even if you didn't read the series and you are planning on it, then you can read this first and see how it all started for Elena and Clay...more
Jaime
This graphic novel was started on Kelley Armstrong's website as a free story. It was later published print on demand as a perfect bound graphic novel, and now finally as a limited hardcover edition by Subterranean Press.

In the first book of the Women of the Underworld series, we meet Elena who has been a werewolf for some time. "Becoming" goes back to how it began - with Clay biting Elena so that they can stay together. It's a story that isn't necesary to the chronology, but one that fans will...more
Sharon
you can read it for free here http://www.kelleyarmstrong.com/becoming/

Read just now, quick read!

As I am not familiar with otherworld series I did not understand it entirely and that might have hurt my enjoyment.

Another thing, I did not like the illustrations. Just not my type.

If you read the otherworld series you might enjoy it, tit was a bit scary but I have the feeling that a written version would be much better, as from the little glimpse I had in some another work but her it was obvi...more
Isavarg
It seemed we were waiting ages for this one. There's basically three editions of it

The online edition, which is free on the author's website.
The Indy Planet Edition, which is from an independant, print on demand company
And the Subterreanen Press edition, which will be coming out in August

This reveiw is for the Indy Planet Edition

First of all, the art is pretty good, if a bit dark in places (I mean the colouring, not the story, though it is grim). I quite like the art and want to see more from th...more
Nikki
I read this graphic novel previously but read it again in order to re-acclimate myself to the werewolves of the Otherworld series. This is probably my favorite graphic novel to date, although my history with them is limited. The graphic novel upholds the "graphic" aspect of its name and shows some pretty gruesome transformations for Elena and subsequent consequences of her becoming a werewolf. The transformation process is not quite as smooth as it is in my head but that is probably because I of...more
Karen Wapinski
I really liked Becoming, it works as an excellent prequel to the series and the quick pace and sharp, graphic art really brings to surface Elena's feelings of rage, confusion and desperation. There were a few panels, in particular one where Elena is changing and terrified and Jeremy is sitting and watching with this powerful expression of sorrow/regret/suffering..I don't know but it was very strong for me.

Admittedly, it was short. I won my copy so I'm not complaining; and I think this story work...more
Rana
This was more of my in between book, something to look at while I waited impatiently for the last book of the otherworld series. I will say that I normally like to picture my own characters in my head, I can't stand seeing them drawn, or real people being put in as those characters, but I didn't mind this as much, probably because I still managed to keep my own images in my head even after reading this. I will say about this "world" in general that kelley armstrong created, it's very logical, an...more
Kirsten
Bloody and gruesome but also a refreshing change with this being a graphic novel vs. prose. It is also short but covers a fair amount of time without rushing over it. This story mainly features Elena after the events of Beginnings as she finally learns what Clay really is as well as what she is now becoming due to his bite. The artist here did a fabulous job portraying Elena's emotions as the story progresses.

One downfall was that I found it difficult to perceive which pane came next as the page...more
Michele Avery
Very cool graphic novel showing Elena's struggle after Clay bites her.
Ermira
I loved the illustrations but most of all, I loved getting to see this peak into the past. Obviously Elena touched upon this time in the first novel of the series, but a recap, and actually getting to see everything that happened to her are two different things.
This brought tears to my eyes, though. Such a tragedy. I never hated Clay (he's one of my favourites) and seeing him here, seeing the pain he was in, and the guilt he carried just made me feel terrible. He did what he did out of desperati...more
Anika
It was okay. I was expecting a story in words not the graphic comic book version. It was too condensed/short so I'm a bit disappointed glad that I saw it was on her website for free before buying it. I'd have preferred the long version a story about how they met in college not seeing after she's bitten. I want to know the long process of them dating why Clay took an interest since it always implies that he does not like humans so I still feel left hanging.
Crystal
This story was actually rather tame compared to many of Kelley Armstrong's story's, yet some how putting pictures with it makes it seem much more dark and gory.

This graphic novel is basically a small section from on of the books in the Otherworld series which explains how Elena became a werewolf. Personally, I preferred the explanation in the book over this one, even though they are basically the same.
Anne
I hate reading anything on my computer, but this was short, so that part of it wasn't too bad.
This is the prequel to Bitten, and it is in graphic novel format. It's also free. Bonus! You really can't complain about a book the author is giving away, you know?
Ana

Podem ler a opinião completa no Floresta de Livros.

For such a small book, this worked really well, both in graphic terms as in narrative ones. The story makes me want to go ahead and read "Bitten", to which this is a prequel, and the art is just amazing.

I'll definetly be reading "Bitten" after this.
Manoja K.
It was okay, nothing too great and not something to gush about. It was a little gorey at certain parts. I liked that they were trying to show Elena's difficulty with coping to be a werewolf, but I don't think it really showed it well in this. I was looking forward to reading to how she dealt with it, but I don't think it was executed well.
Lacey Lane
Not bad for a graphic novel. I'm not really a fan of graphic novels but I did enjoy this one. It gave me a little more insight into what happened to Elena after she was bitten by Clay. The medium of the graphic novel worked well for this story, probably better than trying to create the same atmosphere through written language.
Michelle Tempted By Books
Excellent inclinations and an interesting look into Elena's change. I still need to read the full length books but according to reading order I am doing this correctly. I think I will have a very thorough knowledge of all the Otherworld players by the time I start Bitten. I am really enjoying the whole thing so far.
Kerrie Salsac
A great insight into what Elena went through as she became a werewolf, and very different to see the Otherworld portrayed in the form of a graphic novel. What I found difficult was that I had already formed an image of these characters in my mind, and it didn't quite match what was in the images.
Dionisia
Some of the panels were deliciously gory. Alas, I felt nothing for the characters despite the intense situations they found themselves in. It's a pity. This could have potentially been a gritty and visceral work. Instead it planted the seeds of a paranormal romance. *sigh* Not really my cuppa.
Sara
It was interesting - it was told as a comic strip - not what I was expecting, but interesting none the less. The hardest thing for me was that Jeremy looked nothing at all like I imagined. Oh well. At least I saw some insite into Elena's story when she was first bitten.
Lisa O.
A graphic novel, it narrates the time when Elena was bitten by Clayton and her struggle through her transformation. I suggest reading Bitten first, then Clayton's story in Men of the Otherworld and then this. I thought it was nice. Can be found online on www.kelleyarmstrong.com
Christina
I will take anything I can get of Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld series that involves Elena. ANYTHING.

This takes literally 10 minutes to read, but it's absolutely necessary to have if you're a fan. Plus it's signed <3

Now I feel like re-reading Bitten…
Rhiannon
Mar 07, 2012 Rhiannon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of the otherworld series
Shelves: otherworld, ebook
not a bad comic, prefer the novels.

This is a short story, giving a bit of background on some of the charactors throughout the Otherworld series. It's a fun quick read. Can be found on her website http://www.kelleyarmstrong.com/free-o...
Louisa
Great short story/graphic novel of after Clay bites Elena, and yeah, so good and sad at the same time!!! Half of me thinks that she never should have forgiven Clay for what he did, and the other half is just so glad that she did!!
archdandy
I didn't like the art style in this but it was really cool to read the story of when Clay bit Elena. The bonus material in the back of the book for the limited editions is well worth the money for a devoted Kelley Armstrong fan.
Cottageunderhill
I really loved the artwork for this graphic novel except for Jeremy's character. It was just not how I pictured him and yet I cannot seem to describe how I pictured him for contrast. But otherwise, awesomeness.
Ashley Kannenberg
this was an awesome comic and i loved learning the beginning story of clay and elena because they are my favorite characters from the otherworld series i believe there should be more to the story though it was fantastic
Aine
I've been waiting for this one for years. I had read the first half or so on Kelley's site over the past few years, so it's very satisfying to have the final, finished project after waiting for so long.
Katie
I read this last year, but I guess I didn't think to mark it on here since it was something I downloaded from Armstrong's website. Anyway, I liked it! It's fun to fill in some of those blanks.
Kylie Briggs
I'm not really into graphic novels, and they are painfully short when you are used to novels. But I still love Kelley. ANd this fills a nice gap in the series I have always wondered about.
  • A Fantasy Medley
  • Evolve 2: Vampire Stories of the Future Undead
  • Blood Lite II: Overbite  (Otherworld Stories, #10.2)
  • Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy 2
  • Mercy Thompson: Moon Called, Volume 1
  • Richelle Mead's The Dark Swan: Storm Born (volume 1)
  • Dates From Hell (The Hollows, #2.5)
  • By Blood We Live
  • Vampires: The Recent Undead
  • My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon
  • Curran; Fernando's (Curran POV, #5)
  • Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: The Laughing Corpse, Volume 2: Necromancer
  • Cyncerely Yours (World of the Lupi, #4.5)
  • Magic Gifts (Kate Daniels, #5.4)
  • Fever Moon: The Fear Dorcha

Today, she continues to spin tales of ghosts and demons and werewolves, while safely locked a...more
More about Kelley Armstrong...
The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1) The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3) The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2) Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) The Gathering (Darkness Rising, #1)