Start by marking “You Are My Sunshine” as Want to Read:
You Are My Sunshine

You Are My Sunshine

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  651 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Illustrated by the best-selling artist, Caroline Jayne Church, finally this classic song is becoming a children's board book!

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine.
You make me happy when skies are gray.

Lovingly illustrated by Caroline Jayne Church, the bestselling artist from I LOVE YOU THROUGH AND THROUGH, this is the first of her new three book song series. YOU ARE MY SUN
Board Book, 12 pages
Published January 1st 2011 by Cartwheel Books

To ask other readers questions about You Are My Sunshine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Are My Sunshine

You Are My Sunshine by Jimmie DavisTails by Matthew Van FleetEverywhere Babies by Susan MeyersBelly Button Book by Sandra BoyntonHaiku Baby[ HAIKU BABY ] by Snyder, Betsy E. (Author) May-27-... by Betsy E. Snyder
Best for Babies
1st out of 17 books — 1 voter
The Gruffalo by Julia DonaldsonThe Legend Of Everwinter by Tara BehanOliver and Jumpy, Stories 28-30 (Oliver and Jumpy, the Cat Se... by Werner StejskalPlease, Puppy, Please by Spike LeeGoodnight Moon ABC by Margaret Wise Brown
Recommended for Ones and Twos
8th out of 58 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Kendal Dastrup
Sep 29, 2014 Kendal Dastrup rated it it was amazing
“YOU ARE MY SUNSHINE” by Jimmie Davis is an animated version of the children’s song. I had no clue it was a book until I walked into Barnes and Nobel and saw it with my own eyes. It’s a literal take on the children’s song that we all know and love. Little children hold onto their teddy bears and sing them the song. I had never pictured the song to be about a child singing to their toy but it is a darling little book.
Something I really liked about this book was the way the text was laid out. Bec
Salvador Gómez
Dec 27, 2013 Salvador Gómez rated it really liked it
Hahahaha me encontré este libro de 12 páginas en la librería y lo leí, es un lindo poema o canción, lo que sea me gustó
Jan 28, 2015 Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: shevy
Maybe I am missing something here.

We all love the "You Are My Sunshine" song, so that's why I got this book. But it is literally just the first verse of the song with nothing special illustrations along side it. There is not much to it. The words are just "You are my sunshine my only sunshine you make me happy when skies are grey you'll never know dear how much I love you please dno't take my sunshine away. Please don't take my sunshine away." I mean they could've at least included the second ve
Kayla Bennett
Oct 30, 2014 Kayla Bennett rated it it was amazing
This was a great book. The song is familiar of course but the illustrations told a story that was touching to me and made me feel warm and loved. I feel like it teaches children you love them from the lyrics but also the illustrations portray that too. I loved the illustrations as they were drawn too. There was lots of color to them and it added to the feeling that it brought. I would recommend this to all parents because of the message it brings.
Jenny Schramm
Feb 26, 2014 Jenny Schramm rated it really liked it
Shelves: february
I really thought that this was a cute book. I really like the way they had the drawings done. I think that this is a cute book for little kids, because as you read the book they can sing the famous song. They are able to act out this song how they want to make it more interactive and fun. I think that this would even be a great book for kids even as young as 5 years old.
Steven R. McEvoy
May 03, 2012 Steven R. McEvoy rated it it was amazing
This book is twelve pages of board book fun. It follows 6 different children as they play with their teddy bears and sing the well-known nursery rhyme to them. With great illustrations that convey much love and feeling, children of all ages will love this book and read it time and time again. Caroline Jane Church has authored or illustrated over 90 books; my children have loved all of them that we have read. This book is part of a new series based upon known nursery rhymes with the first two tit ...more
Emily
Feb 28, 2014 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: february
This book was excessively cute, but in this case excessive was a good thing. I loved the board book style that makes it so easy to read with toddlers. The illustrations were also very adorable. The pictures, plus having the words of the song written on the page make this book a fun learning activity. I can definitely see myself reading this with me kids.
Schuyler
Feb 26, 2014 Schuyler rated it really liked it
Shelves: eng-355-07, february
If you like to sing to your children, this is a good book to sing to them. The pages are made of thick cardboard material, so toddlers might not chew through them quite as fast as paper. The lyrics are well known and it's a fun tune for kids to learn. The pictures were very nice and friendly as well.
Nicole Martin
Feb 28, 2014 Nicole Martin rated it really liked it
Shelves: february
This was such an adorable book. The pictures were colorful and vibrant, and they fit along with the lyrics of the song very well. This is definitely a book that I would read to my young children.
jacky
Apr 03, 2011 jacky rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The lyrics to the popular song with adorable illustrations.

I love this illustrator. Each page spread shows an adorable young child with a special lovey toy. This book can be read as the reader (most likely a parent or other loving relative) expressing her love, or as the children expressing their love for their special toys. I liked that idea.

I read this hoping to find another book by this illustrator to use as a special birth day book for my second child, but I felt this wasn't specific enoug
Ashley
Jun 22, 2016 Ashley rated it it was amazing
I love this series of song based board books! The illustrations are adorable and added a new dimension to the stories for me. Plus I love singing/reading them to my little one.
Morgan
Feb 26, 2014 Morgan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: february
I loved this book. I use to have it sung to me every night before I went to bed when I was younger. I love, love, love it. It was colorful and captured the song sweetly.
Summer
Sep 12, 2014 Summer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I love singing this song to my son, so I couldn't resist buying him this book. The fact that it was written by a former Louisiana governor is a bonus.
Sherri
Mar 04, 2014 Sherri rated it it was amazing
Short book with the lyrics of the song. The pictures are very cute.
My kids love this book, and enjoy singing along with me as we read it before bedtime.
Cara Byrne
Nov 03, 2015 Cara Byrne rated it it was ok
Cute illustrations set to a song well known. However, there is very little diversity present as all but one of the children illustrated is white.
Eloise "Louie"
Jan 20, 2015 Eloise "Louie" rated it it was amazing
My mommy sings this song to me all the time, so I react to this book. I also love the pictures and just look at them for a long time.
Mia McInnis
May 08, 2016 Mia McInnis rated it really liked it
Beautifully illustrated, I was hoping for the full song, but the portion given is the perfect length for the very young.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Sing together one chorus of "You Are My Sunshine."

2016 storytime theme: baby music

Reviewed from a library copy.
Tonya
Mar 06, 2014 Tonya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: february
I love this story and the illustrations are great. It is great for kids and they can see the text and learn the song.
Athisaya Divya
The first book that Vedha ever read!! She just adores this book and loves singing the song to her toy doll!
Omnipotent Dystopian Now
Mar 11, 2015 Omnipotent Dystopian Now rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-kids
My momma used to sing this to me. Now I get to read it to my boys! They love it!
Amie
Jun 28, 2016 Amie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith
This sweet, simple board book is an illustrated version of the bedtime song.
Lauren Livingston
Jan 08, 2016 Lauren Livingston rated it it was amazing
We read this book almost every night before bed. It is nice to read followed by some singing.
Taddow
Jul 08, 2015 Taddow rated it it was amazing
My son absolutely loves this book! It's cute and a nice little song as well!
Shauna
Jul 23, 2015 Shauna rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite childhood songs with sweet illustrations.
Sydnee Killpack
Oct 30, 2014 Sydnee Killpack rated it really liked it
Shelves: childs-lit
Pictures we're so cute along with the words to the songs!
Phil
Apr 29, 2016 Phil rated it really liked it
Who can resist a book that you sing?
Keshia
Jul 28, 2015 Keshia rated it it was ok
Shelves: andrew-s-read
cute illustrations.
Maureen
Feb 15, 2013 Maureen rated it really liked it
Shelves: board-book, children
This simple board book is a good companion for the song "You are my sunshine." The words follow the lyrics of the song exactly so a caregiver could sing or read the story. The pictures are simple and appealing to toddlers. Each 2-page spread shows a different child with their favorite stuffed animal. A very sweet, but simple book for caregivers to share with their little ones.
Courtney
Apr 05, 2011 Courtney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bobo-challenge
I always sang this song to Bobo when I was trying to soothe him or lull him to sleep. The book takes a different look at this song by making a tribute to loveys everywhere. I love the illustrations and the cover is shiny to attract little eyes.
  • Duck & Goose, It's Time For Christmas!
  • How Do I Love You?