Start by marking “Bloodfeud: Murder and Revenge in Anglo-Saxon England” as Want to Read:
Bloodfeud: Murder and Revenge in Anglo-Saxon England

Bloodfeud: Murder and Revenge in Anglo-Saxon England

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  13 reviews
On a gusty March day in 1016, Earl Uhtred of Northumbria, the most powerful lord in northern England, arrived at a place called Wiheal, probably near Tadcaster in Yorkshire. Uhtred had come with forty men to submit formally to King Canute, an act that completed the Danish subjugation of England and the defeat of Ethelred the Unready, to whom Uhtred had been a loyal ally an ...more
Published May 1st 2003 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Bloodfeud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bloodfeud

Graham
An interesting book, but not what I was expecting. The whole problem with the Dark Age era is the lack of primary sources on which historians can base their works. On reading the blurb of this, a book solely occupied with feuding families in 10th century Northumbria, I imagined that the book would open up new nuggets of information, leading us to new ways of understanding about the way of life in those times...

It sort of misses the mark, and that's because a large section of the book is padded.
Mercedes Rochelle
Bloodfeud is one of those reference books that you would want to read after you have a decent working knowledge of the period's history; otherwise many of the subtleties may be lost on you. If you are looking for those fine details that help to connect the dots - so to speak - this is an amazing source. Richard Fletcher, professor emeritus at the University of York, gives us a thorough exploration of the customs, habits, and motivations of this shadowy culture which the moderns of European desce ...more
Nikki
Fletcher's book is good on Anglo-Saxon England, and on the general historical background of the time, but I felt he kept drifting away from the supposed focus of the book. I was hoping for something that focused a little more clearly on the bloodfeud, rather than sticking to generalities I was already aware of.

It's easy to read, and interesting stuff, but not what I was hoping for.
Hilary
The murder of Uhtred Earl of Northumberland serves as a fascinating jumping off point to give a vivid account of life in late Anglo-Saxon England. Documentary sources are very thin, and if you want a work of history that is full of dates and facts, this is not it. This can be frustrating at times, because just as I got deeply engaged in the personal story of one of the characters, he or she would disappear off the record. So the strength of this book is in the skillful way in which the author mo ...more
Jan-Maat
Although this is a study of a bloodfeud between two Northern families I'd recommend it as an introduction to late Anglo-Saxon England, or even to the family politics of early medieval Europe.

Because of the paucity of the source material Fletcher has to explore the social and political context thoroughly, but at the same time the rivalry of the two families acts as a ribbon of plot that runs through the book.

For readers familar with Anglo-Saxon england there is a lot to value in seeing that worl
Paul
A rather deceptive book in that it appears to be one concerning a distinct specific period in Anglo-Saxon politics that analyses the nuances of the culture at the time but turns out to actually be a fairly staid, generic book on the Anglo-Saxons from early days to the Norman Conquest, with the bloodfeud relegated to the status of an afterthought.
A good introductory book for those who are completely new to the period but one which will actually only antagonise those already with any kind of famil
Maggi
Great for those of you who: a) love the dirty side of medieval england; b) like lots of historical details, and are able to hold multiple early english names in your head (I can't keep my Eodreds straight from my Eothoreds; c) can devote some concentrated time to this. I am almost there, but not quite. I read it some years ago, and picked it up again for a diversion from the semester. But it defeated me this second time. I want the movie with Clive Owen and the new terminator dude.
Brackman1066
Feb 19, 2009 Brackman1066 rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: students, anyone interested in Anglo-Saxon England
Shelves: medieval-studies
This is not only the best popular book I've ever read about Anglo-Saxon England, it maybe be the best book written for non-specialists that I've ever read about any medieval topic. The names can be jaw-crackers and confusing if you're not used to them, but this gets better if you focus and it's worth it. Recommend this highly to interested students!
Terri
Read many years ago, but I remember enjoying it.
Wayland Smith
This is a decent overview of politics in Anglo-Saxon England. It might be a bit much for people who haven't read up on the period. If you have some knowledge of this period of history and this part of the world, it's a good read.

It does wander off from the implied subject about specific feuds. Frequently, it takes a much broader look at the era. I found it to be a good bit of historical writing, and enjoyed it.

Recommended for students of history and/or England.
S. Pitt
Well researched and very readable.
Riversue
It's hard to make a blood feud dry but this was in a few places.But it also was chock a block full of details of the time.
Adastra
Interesting pop-scientific retelling of the conflicts between the Anglo-Saxons and the Vikings under the reigns of Canute and Ethelred the Unread. Speed-read for my thesis.
Matt Brady
Matt Brady is currently reading it
Mar 04, 2015
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Melissa Dennis
Melissa Dennis marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Kirstin
Kirstin marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Emily
Emily added it
Jan 19, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Tarra
Tarra marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Felix
Felix marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Lisa J
Lisa J marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Louise Rule
Louise Rule marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Richard A. Fletcher was a historian who specialized in the medieval period. He was Professor of History at the University of York and one of the outstanding talents in English and Spanish medieval scholarship.

Obituary @ the Times Online
More about Richard Fletcher...
Moorish Spain The Barbarian Conversion: From Paganism to Christianity The Quest for El Cid The Cross and the Crescent: Christianity and Islam from Muhammad to the Reformation The World of El Cid: Chronicles of the Spanish Reconquest