Start by marking “Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury” as Want to Read:
Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury

Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury (Calvin and Hobbes Collections #3)

4.71 of 5 stars 4.71  ·  rating details  ·  12,992 ratings  ·  241 reviews
Calvin, the six-year-old dirty tricksmeister and master of indignation and his warm, cuddly philosopher sidekick and Hobbes, a tiger whose idea of adventure is to lie on his back by the fire and have his stomach rubbed. This unlikely due captured the hearts, the minds, and, most of all, the funny bones of America. The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes contains a full-color s ...more
Published September 1st 1992 by Andrews McMeel Publishing (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes

Bob Mayer
It most definitely is Indispensable! The best cartoon of all time (Far Side a close second). Now that this in eBook I have it on my phone and can cheer myself up at any time.
Stephen
5.0 stars. Second only to Gary Larson's "The Far Side" as my favorite cartoon series of all time. Always clever, always funny and always leaves you in a better mood.
Amanda
Dec 09, 2007 Amanda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Love this! Read it. Over and over again.
Rose
Trying to choose a favorite Calvin and Hobbes book really is not entirely unlike trying to choose a favorite child. These books were a seminal part of my childhood; I've reread them so many times throughout childhood, the teen years, and adulthood that I'm not exaggerating when I say that if you start quoting one of the strips, I can almost guarantee that I'll be able to give you the punchline from memory.

"The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes" is a treasury made up of what may be my two favorite
Alice
I just happened to pick this book up while visiting a friend, and, the next thing I knew, it was hours later. I read these when they were originally syndicated in my hometown newspaper, and I read Scientific Progress Goes "Boink" and The Revenge of the Baby-Sat. I could read these a million times and still want to read them again.

These are definitely written to be appreciated on several levels, which is what makes them so rereadable. I had one perspective on them when I was young, and another no
Paul Darcy
by Bill Watterson, published in 1992.

Another fantastic collection of Watterson’s Calvin and Hobbes cartoons. There is just so much fun and mayhem to enjoy in this collection it’s hard to quantify how great it is.

This collection, “The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes”, is the collected cartoons of “The Revenge of the Baby-Sat” and “Scientific Progress goes “Boink”. Absolutely fantastic fun.

In this collection we get to see the first appearance of Stupendous Man, Defender of Freedom, Advocate of Lib
I
This book deserves a five star and nothing else. I still remember, during my school days, getting all excited and hyper, with scissors and a glue and a log book when it came to reading the very same comic strips except they were in the newspaper. Reading this book now gives me the same feeling I was having almost seven to eight years ago. I'm glad nothing has changed.
Eh?Eh!
Jun 25, 2007 Eh?Eh! rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all people and their dogs&cats
Shelves: tandy, babble-added
wisdom from the mouths of precocious babes (yeah, I know, really from some dude), hilarious, *love* all C&H collections
Sherry
Full of awesomeness. You'll never get fed up reading this book, even though you've read it ten times!
Valerie
This book is also porcupined with markers. I'm pretty sure I have both The Revenge of The Baby-Sat and Scientific Progress Goes "Boink", but this book also has cartoons that don't appear in either.

Comic strips have been through several Golden Ages. Calvin & Hobbes was part of the twilight years of one of these.

I never have quite understood the contempt for comic strips on the part of some people. Many are, in fact, 'great literature', in every sense. They're not at ALL 'simplistic'. They de
Angie
Feb 16, 2012 Angie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: favorites
There is something mystical about childhood, something that makes it all but impossible for us adults to overcome it. Calvin and Hobbes captures the magic of childhood and helps us return to it. We are there to witness Cavlin's cardboard-box adventures, we experience his impatience while waiting for his propeller beanie to arrive, and we sympathize with his angst regarding bedtimes and homework.

There are some things about life that even adults don't understand though, things that as a child you
Allysha Moulton
I have had this book for about 4 years now and I had yet to read it. I decided to finally read this book because I had read so many higher level books for my independent reading; I needed a break. This book was as cute as I thought it was going to be. Calvin is very intelligent and so is his stuffed tiger Hobbes. The way he talks and the things he does are not what a normal grade school kid would do. Like any other kid he hates school and dreams big. I enjoyed reading this book very much. I woul ...more
Peter
Strangely enough, this is one of the most influential books of my life. Read it as a kid, and loved it. Reread it piecemeal several times over the years and loved it every time. I try not to read it with my kids though because it gives them dangerous ideas.

I love Watterson's artistic drive. As his strip became more popular he negotiated with his syndicate to get more control over the format. If I recall, he lost about half of his Sunday sales, but he gained the freedom to work outside the box. I
Teresa
Calvin & Hobbes classic childhood read, you laugh then at the innocent jokes but when you get older and look back on it, you reminiscene and laugh at childhood be it your own or just overall.

The relationship between Calvin and Hobbes is wonderful, the best bud until the end thing that we all need and deserve, reading the comics again it makes me smile..it's adorable.

I don't know what my childhood would have been without it.
Josette
My favourite comic characters of all time - Calvin, Hobbes, Susie Derkins, Calvin's parents, Roz the babysitter, Mrs Wormwood, Moe and other characters that appear in the comics. :)

I used to read them from cover to cover in a day. One thing, it's easy to read because they're just comics, so not many words. Second thing is that the jokes are simply hilarious and I wanted more. I love Calvin and Hobbes!
Julie
Oh, I absolutely adore Calvin and Hobbes! I found a whole shelf of these books in my basement, they belong to my father. i started reading this one and couldn't put it down. I love them :) They really show the magic that there is to childhood. Are kids the only ones who really are in touch with reality? Is hobbes real or a stuffed animal? Who knows, that's the magic to it all :D
Ummu Auni
Need I say more? I laughed all the way reading this collection. Even though I'd grown to become a mother, I feel that Calvin & Hobbes is full of my childhood memoirs, mischief, fun, games! Calvin is sometimes too smart for a 6-year-old :p boy
Ron
May not be great literature, but Bill Watterson sees something which most of us don't. My life has been diminished by not having the joy of opening the daily paper to some new insight to ourselves through his eyes.
Tiffany
My cousin Kate and I used to borrow this book from our uncle and read it together when she would be in town for holidays. We'd each take "being" Calvin or Hobbes. Great memories <3
Gregory
Calvin and Hobbes is my favorite comic. I started reading it long before I understood most of it.
Lisa
You can't get funnier than Calvin and Hobbes. It's impossible.
Mark Baker
The third treasury of the classic strip finds Calvin and his stuffed tiger Hobbes getting into all kinds of new trouble. The laughs are still funny all these years later. The only thing I have to say is if you aren't familiar with this classic comic strip, fix that immediately if not sooner.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Katrina Anderson
I think I prefer the smaller books like "Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat" and "Yukon Ho!" to Calvin and Hobbes treasuries. Although, it was interesting to see Calvin's various battle with his babysitter in one book. That created coherency. It is hard to say anything bad about Calvin and Hobbes. I enjoyed the numerous "Spaceman Spiff" strips and references to dinosaurs (the time machine, Calvin's reason not to read his school assignment, etc.) found in this collection.
Sylwia
This graphic novel or series of comic strips got me through a lot of work days. I read it during my lunch breaks, slowly, to add some color to the blandness of office life. I think that it’s good for exactly moments like that, moments when you just need to listen to the silliness or the existential reasoning of a fictional little kid.

The comic strips that were full of commentary on big issues were actually really interesting. If there was more of that and less of the more easy-going strips, then
Sophie Inkster
Comfort

I picked up this book because I was feeling a bit lazy, and didn’t want anything too hard. Calvin and hobbes are also really funny and I wanted something less serious. I could read all of these comics over and over again and they would always be funny. Some of them are also less funny, and more deep, which I really like.
Eddie Beal
I have read "the funny pages" since I was little, but the first strip that I loved was Berke Breathed's "Bloom County." While there have been many other comics I have enjoyed since, only Bill Watterson's "Calvin and Hobbes" equals, and perhaps bests, "Bloom County."

I read "The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes" via the Kindle app on iPad. I have, and would have preferred, a digital edition of "The Complete Calvin and Hobbes" (which I own in Hardback but those volumes are too heavy to carry around)
Nathan
The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury
Written by Bill Watterson in 1992
Published by Andrews McMeel Publishing

The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes is the 10th installment in the series out of 18 books. This book was released in October 1992 and is a combination of comic strips from two other Calvin and Hobbes books, The Revenge of the Baby-Sat and Scientific Progress Goes “Boink.”

These books are about an obvious two characters from the title, Calvin and Hobbes. Calvin i
Steve
Calvin and Hobbes is my favourite comic ever produced. I would normally ever say this, but there's no way anything will ever top this series. Every collection of these strips is a treasure. Reserving five stars for the complete collection.
Elianara

I like following Calvin and Hobbes on their adventures. A great fun easy read with appearances of both the babysitter and Spiff the space adventurer.

Had fun, will most likely read again at some point.
Logan bales
5 stars

5 stars

the book is really good I already read it 3 times I love the book the first calvin and Hobbes I read was my brothers that he got
  • The Far Side Gallery 5
  • Assorted FoxTrot
  • Happy Trails
Bill Watterson (born William Boyd Watterson II) is an American cartoonist, and the author of the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes". His career as a syndicated cartoonist ran from 1985 to 1995; he stopped drawing "Calvin and Hobbes" at the end of 1995 with a short statement to newspaper editors and his fans that he felt he had achieved all he could in the comic strip medium. During the early years of ...more
More about Bill Watterson...
Calvin and Hobbes The Essential Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury The Calvin and Hobbes Tenth Anniversary Book The Complete Calvin and Hobbes Calvin and Hobbes: It's a Magical World

“As far as I'm concerned, if something is so complicated that you can't explain it in 10 seconds, then it's probably not worth knowing anyway.” 1129 likes
“I think nighttime is dark so you can imagine your fears with less distraction.” 386 likes