The Morrigna

The Morrigna (Maurin Kincaide #1)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Published April 12th 2012 by Createspace (first published July 1st 2010)

Midu Hadi

What I liked:

the politics of the supernatural world was interesting

the author dealt with the “insta-love” issue neatly!

the non-stop action, especially the battle scene at the end

What I didn’t like:

the beginning felt rushed- I wanted to be told a bit about Maurin before I was expected to like her

there was almost no mention of the history between the Morrigna & the goddess who grants Maurin powers.

An interesting world that I’d like to read more about.

Also reviewed at:
PBD Blog
B&N
Amazon
Shelf...more
Michelle
The Morrigna by Rachel Rawlings
I'm Maurin Kincaide, a psychometric, and until a few days ago I was working for Salem's Preternatural Task Force as an interrogator. I cracked more cold cases and got more confessions than anyone else in the department. Of course that was before I traded in my badge for an ancient Celtic sword. Now, I'm the Special Liaison for the Council, the governing body of the Others, and I take my orders from witches, werewolves and vampires.

I didn't just make a career change...more
Shay Williams
I really enjoyed reading THE MORRIGNA finding it to be a book that I just didn't want to put aside even to sleep. I am really glad that I started reading it on a Saturday night. Ms. Rawlings did a really great job on the character of Maurin making her someone easy to relate with. She is a strong woman in some ways but boy does she have her insecurities. I also found the secondary characters to be rather interesting and they really helped to both flesh out the story and to add comedic relief wher...more
Carla-Book Monster Reviews
Maurin works for the Police as an interrogator utilising her psyhic gift to aid her but when her powers become unreliable she is put on leave to allow her a chance to get to the bottom of it. When brought before the Council Maurin discovers more about the world and herself than she thought possible, suddenly she is pulled into a war that she never knew existed and finds that she may be the key to bringing it to an end. Talk about pressure!

Maurin is a likeable character, she makes mistakes while...more
Michelle Leah Olson
The Morrigna, Maurin Kincaide, Book #1

Author: Rachel Rawlings

Synopsis: I'm Maurin Kincaide, a psychometric, and until a few days ago I was working for Salem's Preternatural Task Force as an interrogator. I cracked more cold cases and got more confessions than anyone else in the department. Of course that was before I traded in my badge for an ancient Celtic sword. Now, I'm the Special Liaison for the Council, the governing body of the Others, and I take my orders from witches, werewolves and vam...more
Brittany
I absolutely LOVE this cover and was completely overjoyed when this book had a "free day" on Amazon. The author has a way of writing and pulling you into the story line, making you feel like you are there with the characters. There was more than one night that I had dreams about the book. The characters have their own distinct personalities, some you love to hate and some you love to love. It was so easy to fall in love with a few of the characters, rooting for them throughout the book. This is...more
Melissa
Here lately I had found myself getting totally bored with reading. I was reading romance/erotica BDSM. It was the same old thing BORING.
A friend of mine totally recommended this book said “I guarantee you it is fantastic and you won’t be bored” So I picked up the box set for $.99 and WOW I would have gladly paid more for this fantastic series.

Maurin is an awesome character she is a psychic being used by the council which has yes vamps, weres, witches. And of course you have to have the bad guys...more
Jaime
The font that this is written in was terribly distracting and made it difficult to read. It does NOT have any bearing on my rating.

I really enjoyed the religious and cultural aspects as well as the fantastical ones. The premise of the story with the magic and supernatural abilities was a really good one. The implementation wasn't all that great. It's written in a near stream-of-conscious, so some of the thoughts, words and phrases are a bit jumbled. I don't always like novels written this way be...more
Samaris Creech
I was given a gift copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Maurin is a psychic with the Supernatural police department. She has never felt like she fit in with either the humans or the supernatural. Little does she know that one day her whole perspective and life will change. She goes into work to interrogate a suspect and gets a heck of a lot more than she ever bargained for. Maurin is thrust into a battle for the world and learns may new and frightening things. She is helped along...more
Stephanie Adams
100 stars. This book is exciting, exhilarating, and just all-around fun to read. One of the best books I have come across buy a new author. A definitely must read book. I cannot wait to read the next installment.
Mary
This book for me was just ok. Not that it was written badly because it wasn't. There is a lot of action and there is just about every paranormal creature that you can think of in this book. A lot of the time I felt confused about what was going on and/or why it was happening. I do plan on reading book 2 so that maybe everything can hopefully get straightened out in my mind for the story. I would reccomend to anyone that loves paranormal creatures and who loves a lot of action.

Maurin Kincaide is...more
Gail Newbold
I did like this story. I thought it was interesting, and I do like the main character. I think writing in first person is pretty hard, especially because keeping characters interesting and the plot moving from only one perspective doesn't always work. So I applaud the author for writing the books this way.
However, I felt like it was a bit drawn out in some places and a bit rushed in others. Also, some character behaviors in some scenes seemed a little out of place. But, overall I enjoyed this b...more
Cheree
As a long time lover of bad a$$ chicks, Maurin has definitely made it on my list of Awesome chicks!
When her life is turned inside out in a matter of a couple days, she does what she can to keep up with every thing going on and finds out more about herself than she could have ever imagined.
Based in present day Salem, Maurin is run trough a gauntlet of challenges. Doing what she can to keep her attitude and mouth in check along the way, will she be able to do what is needed of her?

Are you a fan of...more
Tara Horn
The story is well written and had me hooked from chapter 1, it has vampires, weres and witches and some great twist and turns, and no cliffhangers!!

I am so looking forward to reading the rest of the Maurin Kincade series, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would highly recommend it to anyone, I guarantee you won't be disappointed.
Linda
I recently won copies of the first three books in this series in a blog competition. I originally read The Morrigna over a year ago so wanted to refresh my memory before continuing with the story and am so glad I did as I really enjoyed the book. I loved the way the heroine narrated the story, I really felt you I got right inside her mind and loved her style. This book had witches, werewolves, vampires and they were just the good guys, so many paranormal beings brought together will always lead...more
Katrina
There’s a lot of evil perking around Salem. Maurin seems to be naturally attracted to it, or it seems to find her. I love her spunky attitude and the way Rachel Rawlings opens Maurin’s mind and inner thoughts to the reader. She’s one sassy woman, that has been called into a world that she really doesn’t understand.
There is so much action. There are so many twists that were totally unexpected. It is an urban fantasy that brings so many different elements into the tale.
I really enjoyed reading t...more
J.D. Brown
The writing style was a little difficult for me to get in to at first. The author jumps right into the story with very little world-building or set-up, but once you get into it, it's a delightful read. I think fans of Ilona Andrews would love The Morrigna by Rachel Rawlings.
Paula
It was a struggle but I finished it. I felt no investment in the characters and the story wasn't that great either.
Stephanie
great book! kept me hooked from page one to the final sentence!
Babs
Review coming May 21st with the blog tour.
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Julieanne
Julieanne is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2014
Nadine Stoelman
Nadine Stoelman marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Heather Schwandner
Heather Schwandner marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Deanna Bihlmayer
Deanna Bihlmayer marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Budur
Budur marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Stephanie F
Stephanie F marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Tori whitaker
Tori whitaker marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Rachel Rawlings is an author of Urban Fantasy novels. Her first book, The Morrigna, was published in 2010. Witch Huntbook two, followed on 2012. She is currently working on a novella in The Maurin Kincaide Series, Wolfsbane. She currently lives in Maryland with her husband and three children.

I've always been one to pick action over chick flicks and I think I approach writing the same way. I've rea...more
More about Rachel Rawlings...
Witch Hunt (Maurin Kincaide, #2) Wolfsbane (Maurin Kincaide, #3) Blood Bath (Maurin Kincaide, #4) Maurin Kincaide Series Box Set (Maurin Kincaide, #1 - #3)