Start by marking “The Morrigna” as Want to Read:
The Morrigna

The Morrigna (Maurin Kincaide #1)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  190 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Published April 12th 2012 by Createspace (first published July 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Morrigna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Morrigna

Midu Hadi

What I liked:

the politics of the supernatural world was interesting

the author dealt with the “insta-love” issue neatly!

the non-stop action, especially the battle scene at the end

What I didn’t like:

the beginning felt rushed- I wanted to be told a bit about Maurin before I was expected to like her

there was almost no mention of the history between the Morrigna & the goddess who grants Maurin powers.

An interesting world that I’d like to read more about.

Also reviewed at:
PBD Blog
The Morrigna by Rachel Rawlings
I'm Maurin Kincaide, a psychometric, and until a few days ago I was working for Salem's Preternatural Task Force as an interrogator. I cracked more cold cases and got more confessions than anyone else in the department. Of course that was before I traded in my badge for an ancient Celtic sword. Now, I'm the Special Liaison for the Council, the governing body of the Others, and I take my orders from witches, werewolves and vampires.

I didn't just make a career change
Maurin Kincaide has spent the last few years as a psychometric for Salem’s Supernatural Task Force. She goes in when the regular interrogators are not getting anywhere, and with a simple touch has all the answers the police need. Lately, her powers have been unreliable- and while it seems she is getting stronger she is also losing control. After failing in her interrogation of Seamus O’Neill, a man thought to be responsible for an unfettered demon on the loose, Maurin finds herself placed on lea ...more
Shay Williams
I really enjoyed reading THE MORRIGNA finding it to be a book that I just didn't want to put aside even to sleep. I am really glad that I started reading it on a Saturday night. Ms. Rawlings did a really great job on the character of Maurin making her someone easy to relate with. She is a strong woman in some ways but boy does she have her insecurities. I also found the secondary characters to be rather interesting and they really helped to both flesh out the story and to add comedic relief wher ...more
Carla-Book Monster Reviews
Maurin works for the Police as an interrogator utilising her psyhic gift to aid her but when her powers become unreliable she is put on leave to allow her a chance to get to the bottom of it. When brought before the Council Maurin discovers more about the world and herself than she thought possible, suddenly she is pulled into a war that she never knew existed and finds that she may be the key to bringing it to an end. Talk about pressure!

Maurin is a likeable character, she makes mistakes while
Michelle Leah Olson
The Morrigna, Maurin Kincaide, Book #1

Author: Rachel Rawlings

Synopsis: I'm Maurin Kincaide, a psychometric, and until a few days ago I was working for Salem's Preternatural Task Force as an interrogator. I cracked more cold cases and got more confessions than anyone else in the department. Of course that was before I traded in my badge for an ancient Celtic sword. Now, I'm the Special Liaison for the Council, the governing body of the Others, and I take my orders from witches, werewolves and vam
I absolutely LOVE this cover and was completely overjoyed when this book had a "free day" on Amazon. The author has a way of writing and pulling you into the story line, making you feel like you are there with the characters. There was more than one night that I had dreams about the book. The characters have their own distinct personalities, some you love to hate and some you love to love. It was so easy to fall in love with a few of the characters, rooting for them throughout the book. This is ...more
Laurie P
Could have been great

I enjoyed the book, except the inner dialog of the heroine (especially during the fighting) drove me minute she's fighting for her life, then she has these innermost conversations going with herself....I'm like. O.o seriously? Ya have the very definition of (shell on earth) aimed at ya & your thinking about your childhood or lack of friendships....come on...first let me just say, I'm not a huge fan of long winded inner dialogs, I know many may find it interes
Here lately I had found myself getting totally bored with reading. I was reading romance/erotica BDSM. It was the same old thing BORING.
A friend of mine totally recommended this book said “I guarantee you it is fantastic and you won’t be bored” So I picked up the box set for $.99 and WOW I would have gladly paid more for this fantastic series.

Maurin is an awesome character she is a psychic being used by the council which has yes vamps, weres, witches. And of course you have to have the bad guys
The font that this is written in was terribly distracting and made it difficult to read. It does NOT have any bearing on my rating.

I really enjoyed the religious and cultural aspects as well as the fantastical ones. The premise of the story with the magic and supernatural abilities was a really good one. The implementation wasn't all that great. It's written in a near stream-of-conscious, so some of the thoughts, words and phrases are a bit jumbled. I don't always like novels written this way be
Christine Rains
Maurin Kincaide is a Psychometric with the Salem Preternatural Task Force. After a failed attempt at interrogating a wizard, she is pulled in to the middle of the battle to save the world. She's not without help. Witches, werewolves, and vampires have teamed up, and Maurin discovers she is something much more than a psychic. But is she powerful enough to fight an ancient goddess and her horde of demons?

This is a classic urban fantasy world with some great elements. We have a heroine who can kick
Samaris Creech
I was given a gift copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Maurin is a psychic with the Supernatural police department. She has never felt like she fit in with either the humans or the supernatural. Little does she know that one day her whole perspective and life will change. She goes into work to interrogate a suspect and gets a heck of a lot more than she ever bargained for. Maurin is thrust into a battle for the world and learns may new and frightening things. She is helped along ...more
Stephanie Adams
100 stars. This book is exciting, exhilarating, and just all-around fun to read. One of the best books I have come across buy a new author. A definitely must read book. I cannot wait to read the next installment.
Dangerous Deeds

Maurin is sucked into a deceitful web when a witch gains access to her mind during an interview. Maurin's powers are a bit off and on lately but she doesn't know why or that anyone has noticed. After the witch gains access to her head, her boss gives her a paid suspension and she's recruited against her will into a war to save humanity. Those she trusts are few and those she begins to could be the wrong ones. In order to save the world she must remove the head of an old, extremely
Maghon Thomas
Well, what a surprise, I found a cool new series to like. Well really like. I wasn't sure what to expect, but this one has something of everything. We started out with a simple girl with a simple gift, she can read a little bit of your mind if she touches you, so she works with the police to help get confessions. But her powers are growing and people are coming after her... Umm, maybe not so simple after all. And then, BAM, things get really complicated really quick and I went totally all in bec ...more
Jennifer Schaper
The Morrigna is the first book in the Maurin Kincaide series by Rachel Rawlings. I won this e-book a long time ago on a blog. I finally got around to reading it. I'm glad I did. This is an action-packed book that kept me interested from start to finish.

The story is told in a conversational and relaxed tone, in first person. It has detailed and relevant setting descriptions. What I mean is: the author only spends time giving a lot of details about the setting if it is relevant to the scene. Words
This book for me was just ok. Not that it was written badly because it wasn't. There is a lot of action and there is just about every paranormal creature that you can think of in this book. A lot of the time I felt confused about what was going on and/or why it was happening. I do plan on reading book 2 so that maybe everything can hopefully get straightened out in my mind for the story. I would reccomend to anyone that loves paranormal creatures and who loves a lot of action.

Maurin Kincaide is
Gail Newbold
I did like this story. I thought it was interesting, and I do like the main character. I think writing in first person is pretty hard, especially because keeping characters interesting and the plot moving from only one perspective doesn't always work. So I applaud the author for writing the books this way.
However, I felt like it was a bit drawn out in some places and a bit rushed in others. Also, some character behaviors in some scenes seemed a little out of place. But, overall I enjoyed this b
The editing in this was deplorable. The name 'Morrigna' was written as 'Morrigan' about half the time. Dear oh dear. The writing wasn't particularly good. Boo hoo.
 photo yuk_zps9vzvymfq.gif
Great read!

I didn't want to put this book down. The plot was great! Maurin was only slightly annoying at times due to her lack of confidence in herself. Otherwise, I enjoyed this story. I'll definitely be reading the next novel in this series.
Patricia Burleson

I loved this book wasn't ready for the end. It has lots of action, mystery, and magic enough to keep your hooked. The last part of the battle is surprising I didn't see it coming. So get it you won't be sorry and enjoy.
Rachel did an amazing job in creating this world that sucked me right in - no pun intended.What can be more enticing and sexier than shifters, witches and vampires all in one book?
Maurin, the MC, is a kick ass heroine who was likeable from the get go. I found myself really relating to her, and even though she had moments when her insecurities got the better of her, but that's what made her so real.
The little twists that I didn't predict kept me entertained in the middle of sleepless nights. The
As a long time lover of bad a$$ chicks, Maurin has definitely made it on my list of Awesome chicks!
When her life is turned inside out in a matter of a couple days, she does what she can to keep up with every thing going on and finds out more about herself than she could have ever imagined.
Based in present day Salem, Maurin is run trough a gauntlet of challenges. Doing what she can to keep her attitude and mouth in check along the way, will she be able to do what is needed of her?

Are you a fan of
Tara Horn
The story is well written and had me hooked from chapter 1, it has vampires, weres and witches and some great twist and turns, and no cliffhangers!!

I am so looking forward to reading the rest of the Maurin Kincade series, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would highly recommend it to anyone, I guarantee you won't be disappointed.
This was a freebie from amazon. There were a lot of characters that I had a hard time remembering. A lot going on and wasn't sure who the bad or good guys were some of the time. Will check out the next one, lots of action.
Katherine McIntyre
Loved the concept and inclusion of mythology throughout the story. Maurin's voice is great--snarky and sarcastic, and there's a fun group of characters to work off of. More comprehensive editing would serve the story well, as there was some repetitiousness that could've been pared down.
Terry Cooper
Needs work

To much dialogue with self. Needs a lot more interaction with other characters. The reader has no relationship with the other characters. I did like the main characters humour.
I recently won copies of the first three books in this series in a blog competition. I originally read The Morrigna over a year ago so wanted to refresh my memory before continuing with the story and am so glad I did as I really enjoyed the book. I loved the way the heroine narrated the story, I really felt you I got right inside her mind and loved her style. This book had witches, werewolves, vampires and they were just the good guys, so many paranormal beings brought together will always lead ...more
McKayla Schutt
Good read

I picked up this story for a book club that I am in. The beginning was a bit slower that I would like to admit but once some action started to story picked up nicely. About chapter 6 it got better in my opinion and the chapters are very short. Would recommend to people looks for a paranormal story with some fighting.
  • Night of Fire
  • Camp Follower (A Mystery of the American Revolution, # 3)
  • Sacrifice of Passion
  • Death's Avatar (Descent, #0.5)
  • Replay (Replay, #1)
  • Set in Stone
  • When a Mullo Loves a Woman
  • The Jane Yellowrock World Companion
  • Kiss of the Betrayer (Bringer and the Bane, #2)
  • The Toil and Trouble Trilogy: Book One
  • Vampire's Eve (Vamp Life, #1)
  • Charred Tears (Heart of Fire, #2)
  • The Demon Of Synar (Forced To Serve, #1)
  • Gateway (The Gateway Trilogy, #1)
  • Nephilim Genesis of Evil
  • Dark Earth
  • Fated Hearts (A Novella)
  • First Promise (Blood Run Trilogy #1)
Rachel Rawlings is an author of Urban Fantasy novels. Her first book, The Morrigna, was published in 2010. Witch Huntbook two, followed on 2012. She is currently working on a novella in The Maurin Kincaide Series, Wolfsbane. She currently lives in Maryland with her husband and three children.

I've always been one to pick action over chick flicks and I think I approach writing the same way. I've rea
More about Rachel Rawlings...

Maurin Kincaide (5 books)
  • Witch Hunt (Maurin Kincaide, #2)
  • Wolfsbane (Maurin Kincaide, #3)
  • Blood Bath (Maurin Kincaide, #4)
  • Ill Fated: A Maurin Kincaide Series Novel (The Maurin Kincaide,#5)