Start by marking “The Articulate Mammal: An Introduction to Psycholinguistics” as Want to Read:
The Articulate Mammal: An Introduction to Psycholinguistics

The Articulate Mammal: An Introduction to Psycholinguistics

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Requiring no prior knowledge of the subject, this text tackles basic questions central to the study of psycholinguistics, such as whether language is restricted to humans, whether there is biological evidence for innate language activity, how children learn language, and how we understand, plan and produce language. The author investigates these issues with regard to anima ...more
Paperback
Published June 26th 1998 by Routledge (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Articulate Mammal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Articulate Mammal

Sara
This is a really good introduction to psycholinguistics--language acquisition, speech production, comprehension. It provides a short guide to the evolution of Chomsky's theories as well as those that run alongside and counter to his theories. There is a substantial and useful "further reading" section at the back of the book and an equally useful list of sources. I bought the Kindle version because it was more in line with my bank account than the print book, and its index is conveniently linked ...more
Jenny
Fascinating textbook on speech understanding and development. I would recommend this to people interested in having children, as it provides excellent insight into mental development in babies.
Rachael Johnson
I read this years ago as a text for my Linguistics major at university. It was fascinating and by far my favourite area of the subject. I have often kept track of it and really wanted to fork out for my own up to date copy. Now that it has been significantly revised I've gone and purchased the latest version to check it out. I can't wait to read it again! It is so accessible and doesn't feel like a text at all. If you are at all into language then you will enjoy this. A great read.
Ashish Gourav
A must read for every psychology enthusiast. This is designed as an introductory exercise into psycholinguistics, deals more with language, parenting & scientific thinking. Obviously it isn't a swift read but would leave you an insightful person. So much for dinner-table conversations!!!
Eabdolelah
I love this book so much, it got me so far with the brain not just with articulation, but with the way it thinks.
Jazmin
I purchased this on my kindle, so I didn't realise it was a textbook at the time! It felt like reading a popular science novel. I put down the book feeling enriched and pretty chuffed with myself for reading textbook.
Rima Muryantina
A very brilliant introduction to psycholinguistics. It doesn't make me confused. It makes me even more curious.
Sowmya
It was a great intro. Period.
Aga
Classics revisited.
Emily
Emily added it
May 18, 2015
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Atyaf Abd AlSttar
Atyaf Abd AlSttar marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
New Atlantis
New Atlantis marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
hythm alrys
hythm alrys marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Marv Dc
Marv Dc marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Divya Goel
Divya Goel marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Jessica Spencer
Jessica Spencer marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
George
George marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Giulia
Giulia marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Soso Assal
Soso Assal marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Mako
Mako marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Joao Pereira
Joao Pereira marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Iris
Iris marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Elsa
Elsa marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
  • Language Myths
  • Contemporary Linguistics: An Introduction
  • An Introduction to Language
  • Sociolinguistics: An Introduction to Language and Society
  • English with an Accent: Language, Ideology and Discrimination in the United States
  • The Atoms Of Language: The Mind's Hidden Rules Of Grammar
  • The Symbolic Species: The Co-evolution of Language and the Brain
  • Historical Linguistics: An Introduction
  • A Course in Phonetics [With CDROM]
  • Language and Mind
  • The Loom of Language: An Approach to the Mastery of Many Languages
Jean Aitchison is a Professor of Language and Communication in the Faculty of English Language and Literature at the University of Oxford and a Fellow of Worcester College, Oxford.

Her main areas of interest include:

Socio-historical linguistics
Language and mind
Language and the media
More about Jean Aitchison...
Language Change: Progress or Decay? (Cambridge Approaches to Linguistics) Teach Yourself Linguistics The Seeds of Speech: Language Origin and Evolution Words in the Mind The Language Web: The Power and Problem of Words - The 1996 BBC Reith Lectures