Start by marking “Hunches in Bunches” as Want to Read:
Hunches in Bunches

Hunches in Bunches

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  626 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Illus. in full color. "A little boy, trying to decide what to do, has all
sorts of ideas presented to him by grinchy-looking hunches who give good, bad
and silly ideas. The book has Dr. Seuss's bright, funny illustrations and
rhymes."-- "School Library Journal."
Published October 12th 1982 by Turtleback Books

To ask other readers questions about Hunches in Bunches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hunches in Bunches

Samantha
As a little boy decides how to spend his day he is presented with a multitude of options by strange creatures known as Hunches. Each Hunch has a specific purpose such as an Up Hunch goes up while a Down Hunch goes down. In the end, we find out that the Munch Hunch is the best Hunch of all.

Fun rhyming nonsense in full color. I liked studying the facial expressions on the different Hunches. I never read this book as a kid, but reading it as an adult I couldn't help thinking how a busy day at work
Timmy Tim
Boy can't decide what to do.
Boy battles with possible options.
Boy decides to eat lunch.
Story of my life.
Nojood Alsudairi
My trouble was I had a mind
ButI couldn't make it up!
I did not know whether I should give this book four stars or five, but then
the repeated nonsense of the cat in the hat made the four win.
Pat
I read it today ...It made me feel like a rhyme...so I did in time to whoopeedopine

It made me feel silly and happy which is just what I needed.....
Yarb
Fairly standard Seuss, but still with moments of inspired hilarity.
Nathan
My favorite Seuss book!
ZaBeth
First off, this book wasn't published until 1982 so I couldn't have read it as a child if I wanted to; but that in of itself surprised me because I didn't realize that Dr Seuss was still writing in the 80's.
The simple storyline is a classic. The artwork is classic. But I found the ending a bit of a let down. It is probably a accurate choice for a boy to make but I had hoped for something more imaginative.
Cara
Another Dr. Seuss book I'd never heard of before reading it.
I like this one because it had a theme behind and not just senseless nonsense. It's about how only you as the reader can truly make you up mind about something you want to do regardless of any outside influences or distractions.
Amber the Human
Not one of Seuss' best. I kind of get where he's going and the story he's trying to tell, but it comes off as a little wishy-washy with an unsatisfying ending. He wrote a lot of books, and not all of them are going to be gold. That's okay.
Mortis Boys
The boy requests this one all the time and I'm really not for sure why. But if he likes it that much then so do I.
Dolly
Apr 02, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2013, childrens, rhyming
With crazy, made-up creatures and a rhythmic, rhyming narrative, this is a very typical story by Dr. Seuss. The story is humorous and it's a fun book to read aloud.

We have been searching for any of his books that we haven't yet read - I didn't realize just how many books he wrote! I thought I'd read all of his books when I was a kid, but I was wrong!
Justin  K. Rivers
The concept is very interesting, and even disturbing. Seuss departs from his traditional meter, to a jarring effect. But the urgency of plot is undermined by the niceness on the surface. It's as if Seuss has something important to say but is afraid to bare those unvarnished demons of truth.
B
It's Dr. Seuss! What more can you say? Inspirational, appropriate and fun for any age.
April
Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Dr. Seuss is always brilliant! His stories and rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading!
Larry Ratcliffe
I kept feeling there were drug references in this story and I had a hard time explaining that the hunches were mental options (to my daughter).

Far out, even for Dr. Suess.

...and haven't we met the Snuv's and the schlopp in The Lorax?

Weird.
Joshua Kennedy
Before I could even answer him,
a new voice interrupted.
"That mind of yours," I heard him say,
"is frightfully ga-fluppted.
Your mind is murky-mooshy!
Will you make it up? Or won't you?
If you won't, you are a wonter!
Do you understand, or don't you?"
Karissa
I love Dr. Seuss! I thought it would be neat to do an author study and use some of his not as popular classics. It would be neat to compare/contrast the themes, illustrations and words amongst his books. This is a good one that talks about making up your mind.
Snorkle
A crazy little book, and yet, so typical Dr. Seuss. This book was fairly enjoyable, but not the best Dr. Seuss book I've read.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Megan
Clever one. It's a little scary though because it seems to describe my crazy brain perfectly: the Four-Way hunch, The nowhere hunch and the Munch Hunch particularly! Dr. Seuss has such a great sense of humor.
Emkoshka
An interesting concept, personifying hunches. Typical Seuss silliness and fun and an ending that emphasises that the important things (and hunches) in life are the simple ones.
Lindsey Rogers
I loved this book! Hunches in bunches is a great book that could address decision making. There is rhyme throughout the story and the illustrations are superb! :) 1st - 3rd
Lisa
This book didn't flow like the Dr. Seuss books I'm used to reading. I was disappointed in the story line and the lack of quality in the "made-up" words.
Alanoud alrabaih
This book is simple and fun that you can read it while you drink a cup of coffee :D
I think it is suitable for children from age five to ten .
Mahika Dhingra
A very good creative short story, This book is very interesting since it shows a fun but questionable side of this particular type of literature.
Jessie
A boy has a difficult time making decisions even though there is a vocal bunch of Hunches to help him.
Miekka
Not one of my favorite Dr. Seuss books, but the word rhymes are fun to read.
4 years old and up.
Eunice
I will make sure that Dr. Seuss will be a part of my future children's childhood.
Skylar Burris
The only reason I give it a mere three stars is that Seuss has so many far better books.
Bonnie Pohlig
Jun 07, 2013 Bonnie Pohlig marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, p
The story of a boy whose "hunches" lead him on a wild goose chase. Very funny.
  • Sheep in a Shop
  • If You Decide To Go To The Moon
  • Dr. Seuss Goes to War: The World War II Editorial Cartoons of Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • The Boy on Fairfield Street
  • The Adventures of Harold and the Purple Crayon
  • Bearshadow (Moonbear)
  • My Very First Book Of Shapes
  • Pigs Make Me Sneeze!
  • Happy Birthday, Martin Luther King Jr.
  • Alexander, Who's Not (Do You Hear Me? I Mean It!) Going to Move
  • Be Nice to Spiders
More about Dr. Seuss...
Green Eggs and Ham The Cat in the Hat How the Grinch Stole Christmas! Oh, The Places You'll Go! The Lorax

“My trouble was I had a mind but I couldn't make it up!” 209 likes