Start by marking “Plague Ship (Solar Queen, #2)” as Want to Read:
Plague Ship (Solar Queen, #2)
Open Preview read book* *Different edition

Plague Ship (Solar Queen #2)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  928 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Lured by exotic gems and valuable oils, the crew of the space trader Solar Queen landed on the newly discovered planet Sargol, only to find their most ruthless competitor there ahead of them. Still they tried for fair trade, even according to the sly rules of the feline natives-- whose beauty and grace were equalled only by their determination to drive a hard bargain.

But a
Published 1964 by Ace (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Plague Ship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plague Ship

Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardThe Jupiter Chronicles by Leonardo RamirezThe Giver by Lois LowryHave Space Suit—Will Travel by Robert A. HeinleinCitizen of the Galaxy by Robert A. Heinlein
Best Children's Science Fiction Books
53rd out of 178 books — 171 voters
How to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas RockwellThe Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid BanksThe Mouse and the Motorcycle by Beverly ClearySideways Stories from Wayside School by Louis SacharThe Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Great Books For Third Grade Boys
132nd out of 226 books — 85 voters

More lists with this book...

Jason Reeser
The second Solar Queen novel, this short but action-packed little novel is full of what makes Andre Alice Norton the master of 1950’s SF; alien worlds, alien species, and men who are determined to make their mark on the wilds of space. Like any good horse opera, her space operas take a tried and true formula and deliver a solid, fun story. Again, I’ll mention that her works are not hard SF, but something more in line with the original Twilight Zone or Flash Gordon serials of old. And that, in my ...more
Becky
Though I realized I have a TON of Norton/North books to get through, this is my favorite one to date. I read a lot of maritime history, and the worst thing that could happen when you’re halfway between to points is either a fire or a disease. If you stop to think about it, there really aren’t that many differences between a maritime vessel in the 1700’s and the spacefaring vessels of the future. Each planet would have to have strict rules to prevent the spread of other-worldly diseases. If you ...more
Sandy
"Plague Ship" (1956) is the second installment in Andre Norton's so-called Dane Thorson series, and is a direct continuation of the previous volume, "Sargasso of Space." (A reading of that earlier novel is highly recommended before going into this one.) "Plague Ship" does everything that a good sci-fi sequel should: It expands on the possibilities of the previous book, deepens the characters, increases the action and leaves us wanting still more. It's a very fast-moving and suspenseful tale, ful ...more
Roger
This book was incredibly good. Really, for a book written during the golden age of science fiction, you just can't get any better than this. A tight, fast-paced plot, a likable, mostly well-fleshed out protagonist, and interesting aliens make for a fun read.

Andre Norton's writing is crisp and intelligent. I kept picturing a teenage boy in 1956 reading this at night under the covers with a flashlight, dreaming of the day he could blast out to the Rim planets and make his fortune in Trade.

So good
Eloy Eduardo
Part of the fun reading this SF novel from 1956 is rediscovering that in those times spaceships (shaped “needle slim”) could travel the whole galaxy back and forth by just having their crews press some buttons in the control cabin (yes, there is a mention of a computer twice). Conversations and events were recorded in “tapes” or in “microfilm rolls”, stored in a “library of recordings”; to view the latter the spacemen (no women at all in sight, not even distant wives or daughters mentioned or re ...more
Miles
A good book, but uncomplicated as SF goes. It was a little heavy handed in places. Were it written today it would be classes as young adult science fiction. Still, it's not bad for a piece of work brought from the far off land of 1956. Most SF doesn't have what it takes to survive a half century without completely losing meaning. Three stars.
James
Nice scifi "listen" for someone not deeply into science fiction. Remember, I really don't review a book/podcast. I prefer to read the podcast/book's blip then listen/read and be surprised. I liked this one. (librivox.org)
Kelley
Fast paced and suspenseful; a tale that was imaginative and entertaining.
Valerie
I can't seem to find my editions of any of these. This follows immediately on Sargasso of Space, and is (so far as I know), the first introduction of the Salariki. It's interesting that a star-spanning civilization still can't effectively prevent the spread of plagues without abandoning plague ships to drift in space. Ok, granted, there're a lot of different ailments on all those different worlds, but still...you'd think that people who had hyperdrive could manage reasonable preventive health ca ...more
Brian Layman
Having read this over a weekend while knowing nothing about the book, I thought it was a pretty good tribute to classic 1950s sci-fi... Well that's because it was 1950s sci-fi and Andre Norton was a woman who contributed significantly to the formation of the genre. Look her up. It's worth it.
Helen Bassett
I enjoyed reading it again. The story is interesting and not too involved. I like the Ship's crew and their problem solving skills.
Freadizt StupiT
"Traders visited exotic land, and got a 'plague'," barely wrapped in space & poor science fiction.
B. Zedan
Jul 22, 2008 B. Zedan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Folks who like some light sf action
Traders! I enjoy this sub-genre (trading goods, being kind of explorers and sociologists and money-grubbers at once). This is second in a series, and now I've got to go find the rest. Solid fun, some social learnin' that isn't heavy-handed. See what happens when you let 'em have the first one free? They get hooked. It kind of weirds me out that there is a Jellico in this series, as there is a Jellico in one of David Drake's Hammer's Slammers books.
Alex
The second book about the Trade Federation or what-not. What I like best about this book is that the characters see nothing wrong with introducing addictive drugs to the people they're trading with, who are content to swap the entire produce of their planet for that year for said drug. That the people are cat-people and the drug is catnip simply makes the fact that the pushers would be applauded by Nancy Regan mildly charming.
Squeaky
"Exotic gems and valuable oils were the lures that brought the space trader Solar Queen to the new planet Sargol"... An Ace paperback, cover price 40 cents!! Found this and two others on a bus stop one morning! Read it in 1999 when I found the books, read it again today. Did I read it in the 60s? Who knows? I found it interesting that three-quarters of what was probably the U.S. is a radioactive wasteland.
Denis
Jul 04, 2014 Denis rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: trade
A novel by the very successful pulp novelist that, unfortunately, is little mentioned when speaking of golden age ScFi authors. She is pre- le Guin and Tiptree Jr, and nearly as prolific as Silverberg. True, she tends to lean more towards fantasy and not considered "hard SF", but can spin a spaceship yarn right up there with Eric Frank Russel and, at times - dare I say, Heinlein.

Good solid adventure stuff.
Lindsay
It's always nice to read a sci-fi book which has a bit more depth than simply looking at technology and aliens, and this book certainly does that. It has a nice political slant looking at the relationship between power and opportunity, and the characters are interesting and realistic.
Keith
Plague Ship is another very good novel I read in the 1960's. Andre Norton used a nasty illegal competitor, interesting aliens and a hidden stowaway that leads to an unusual type plague on ship. Their ship gets branded as a plague ship in the galaxy with dire results.
Craig Brown
Audio book as I was traveling for work. I really enjoyed this. The story was fairly strong, I enjoy old Sci-Fi every now and then. This is a free audio book, Librovox, excellent reader. I highly recommend this to someone looking for an audio book.
Jerry
Not bad for being written in the fifties

a good solid sci-fi story. good characters, interesting plot and story. a little predictable but still interesting. The author makes up some interesting space lingo. all in all a good book
Thomas Jordan
I just reread this while trying out an ebook reader. I must say that I remembered little if from the first time I read it as a child. I completely enjoyed reading it again and was reminded why Andre Norton is one of my favorite childhood authors.
Skip
I read this as a kid and it was one of the books that hooked me on SciFi as a genre. It's a golden age space story, a great quick read. I can't wait for these books to come out in e-book format. They'd make great $1.99 pulps for summer reading.
Glenn Harris
Exactly as the title would lead you to believe, an old-fashioned (because genuinely old) space opera about an interstellar trading vessel on which the crew is succumbing one by one to a mysterious ailment. Classic Andre Norton.
Preston Ray
If I had read this in the 70s when I was a teen I probably would have loved it. Even now it compares well to a lot of what was written in the 50s for scifi. A quick easy read if you enjoy classic scifi from that time.
Roger Wadleigh
It's an ok read for early science fiction. Mostly flat characters, some amusing situations, no character development. But worth a read because it's short. Obviously, Norton got a lot better with time.
Vanessa
It was okay. Very short. I didn't think that it was anything special, but I did enjoy reading about the culture Norton invents with the Salariki. Enjoyable, but not ground-breaking. Interesting.
Libbet
Librivox audiobook. Good reading of it. Has been good for keeping my brain occupied while driving to and from Winston. Didn't realize it was the second of a series.
Mark
A classic space opera written in lean and efficient prose. A group of deep space traders make contact with a alien civilization and bring back a weird parasite.
Kelvin Clements
Nice book, interesting since is was a one of the early women si-fi writers. I have too read some more of her work, It was a very engaging story.
Goodreads Librari...: Editions need separating 9 25 Oct 22, 2013 09:02AM
  • The Colors of Space
  • Four Day Planet
  • Police Your Planet
  • The Survivors (Ragnarok, #1)
  • Fury
  • TNT: Telzey Amberdon & Trigger Argee Together
  • Black Projects, White Knights: The Company Dossiers (The Company, #4.5)
  • Spacehounds of IPC
  • Broken Bulbs
  • Triplet
  • Otherness
  • Dinosaur Planet Survivors (Dinosaur Planet, #2)
  • The Lost Continent
  • Some of the Best From Tor.com, 2013 Edition
  • The Time Travel Megapack: 26 Modern and Classic Science Fiction Stories
  • Hunter of Worlds (Hanan Rebellion, #2)
  • Ensign Flandry (Flandry, #1)
  • Double Contact (Sector General, #12)
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male" ...more
More about Andre Norton...

Solar Queen (7 books)
  • Sargasso Of Space (Solar Queen, #1)
  • Voodoo Planet (Solar Queen, #3)
  • Postmarked the Stars (Solar Queen, #4)
  • Redline The Stars (Solar Queen, #5)
  • Derelict for Trade (Solar Queen, #6)
  • A Mind for Trade (Solar Queen, #7)
The Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles, #1) Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2) Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3) Witch World (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #1) The Time Traders (Time Traders/ Ross Murdock, #1)