Start by marking “Eye Of The Beholder” as Want to Read:
Eye Of The Beholder

Eye Of The Beholder

3.75  ·  Rating Details ·  2,122 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
Best of the Best. J.L. Trask, a hard-nosed hotelier trying to unearth the truth about his father's murder 12 years before, believes his father's business partner Lloyd Kenyon committed the crime. When it turns out that Alexa Chambers, the beautiful art expert he hires to decorate Avalon, his new Arizona resort hotel, is Kenyon's stepdaughter all grown up, passions flare. T ...more
Hardcover
Published May 1st 1999 by Pocket Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Eye Of The Beholder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eye Of The Beholder

Cruth
Author: Jayne Ann Krentz
First published: 1999
Length: 399 pages (Large Print)
Setting: Contemporary. Avalon, Arizona.
Sex: Reasonably frequent and excerpt.
Hero: Co-owner of hotel group.
Heroine: Expert in early-twentieth-century art and owner of gift shop.

Krentz/Castle/Quick’s heroines have a tendency to be joyful, intelligent, slightly ditzy characters. In Eye of the Beholder Krentz has toned the ditz down, making Alexa intelligent and normal. A watered-down but possibly more appealing heroine.

With
Carrie
The narration on this unabridged audiobook by Jen Taylor brings an average, fun read up a notch to a better-than-average one. While Ms. Taylor's male voices didn't always work, her delivery was excellent. She gave the heroine real personality, infusing her dialog with nuance, changing speed and pitch more like an actress than a narrator.

I like Jayne Ann Krentz. I know what I'm getting when I pick up one of her books, and while I'm rarely surprised, I'm also rarely disappointed. (Occasionally, I
Christine
Trask is in town for the opening of his latest in a long line of hotels, 12 years after his father died under suspicious circumstances. Well, Trask thinks they were suspicious -- everyone else thinks it was an accident. Alexa is one of those people who thought it was an accident, and her step-father is one of Trask's prime suspects at first.

This setup was fairly interesting, but to tell you the truth, I was never able to lose myself in this story. The chemistry between Trask and Alexa was off.
Farah
Mar 01, 2014 Farah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books
It was a little boring .. Alexa and Trask seemed to lack something that would have brought them more to life and the connection between them was really weak as for the murder mystery .. the conclusion was very anti climatic .. it was a MEH no more .. no less.
Shirlene
John Laird Trask entered the home of one of his father's business partners, Lloyd Kenyon and accused him of having something to do with the accident that had killed his father. He was in town to bury his father and told Lloyd that he would return one day and find out the truth of what happened. Trask was convinced that either Lloyd or his father's other partner, Dean Guthrie had something do with his father dying. Lloyd told him that it was just a horrible accident.
Alexa Chambers and her mother
Jackie
In Eye of the Beholder by Jayne Ann Krentz, heroine Alexa Chambers first sees hero, Trask when she was a teenager and he came to her stepfather’s house to accuse said stepfather of being complicate in Trask’s father’s death. They both end up back in Avalon about 15 years later. Trask is there to open the latest in a chain of luxury hotels while Alexa has moved back to recover her balance and reputation after being made the patsy in a large scale art forgery. As the two meet as adults, they begin ...more
The Bookwyrm's Hoard
Jayne Ann Krentz may not be great literature, but she knows how to tell a story and how to keep me turning the pages — and when I’m stressed out, that’s exactly what I want. Eye of the Beholder (1999) is classic Krentz: a powerful, driven, and somewhat wounded hero, a feisty and intelligent heroine, snappy dialog, plenty of romantic/sexual tension, and a mystery that puts one or both characters in danger.

In this case, Trask’s arrival in town to discover the truth behind his father’s death thirt
Lauren
May 26, 2011 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eye of the Beholder
3.5 Stars

Synopsis:
Alexa Chambers will never forget the night J. L. Trask barged into her family home and accused her stepfather of murder. Now Trask is back and determined to find those responsible for his father’s death even if it means dredging up old skeletons. There are many who actively object to Trask’s investigations including an exceedingly dangerous killer with a mysterious agenda of their own.

Review:
While this is a solid romantic mystery, I was not completely swept
Maria
Totally enjoyed re-reading this book about Alexa Chambers who puts together a fantastic Art Deco collection for JL Trask's Avalon Hotel in Avalon, Arizona. The make-believe Avalon has overtones of Sedona, so there were metaphysics, vortices, etc. to spare. Trask has his own agenda, to prove his father was murdered and did not die in a car accident as claimed by the police. Plenty of plot, sub-plot, and Ms. Krentz's usual delightful characters and dialogue go into making this a wonderful repeat e ...more
jenjn79
Ns
Oct 19, 2010 Ns rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eye of the Beholder was an okay read, especially when compared to my initial expectations, which were for an interesting, fast-paced and compelling read.

The plot was solid but in a very predictable and eventual way. There were some twists and turns along the way, but no less than what you would find in most murder-mysteries. I did not get caught up or swept into the mystery but found myself simply following through with the events. Something along the line of, Okay, one murder down, two, and now
LJ
EYE OF THE BEHOLDER - VG
Krentz, Jayne Ann

At a luxurious Arizona resort, a hard-edged businessman and a beautiful art consultant make a tantalizing mind-body connection--while a killer threatens their piece of paradise.

After a career-stalling tangle with a fraudulent gallery owner, Art Deco expert Alexa Chambers is ready to take risks to rebuild her reputation. But when she secretly consults on an exquisite collection for the new Avalon Resorts, she doesn't know she will cross paths with the hot
Jan
Jul 26, 2016 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The whole murder/suspense thing was pretty well done and with lots of plot twists. The art world background was pretty interesting. The "hop into bed as quickly as possible" felt awfully contrived this time. Not a bad tale, and does hold interest through most of the book. See publisher's blurb for more clues.
The narrator did good character differentiation, but the intonation of the MC sounded more like an irritating early teen.
Stacie  M. Ritchie
This author has written under many names, but this particular name’s stories have never grabbed me and the stories seem to be very convenient. J.L. Trask has been obsessing about his father’s death for twelve years and sees a reason to return to the small Arizona town. Alexa Chambers was drawn into a controversy, so is running a gift shop in her hometown. She sees Trask again and vividly remembers him threatening her stepfather. There is recognition on the part of Trask as well and an attraction ...more
Diane Wachter
Audio Book @ 1999, 5/00. Art Deco Expert with a tattered reputation runs a ship in AZ, tries to stay clear of Trask, a man who 12 years ago accused her stepfather of murder. Together they must team up to solve a deadly crime when a killer emerges and threatens their existence. Good story, but I don't appreciate all the heavy sexual passages.
Rebecca
Jun 02, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this book. Follows the typical Krentz plotline, but unlike others the 'rundown' at the end in this one is short and sweet which is much better. So Alexa is a disgraced art expert and Trask is a fanatsy hotel CEO and together they uncover some sinister happenings in Avalon and work together to solve the mystery. Great plottwist at the end, unexpected which is what you want. I wish some characters had been developed more, such as Trask's brother or the PI or even Alexa's parents. Started with ...more
Rachael
May 27, 2014 Rachael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kirkus Review ended with: "The mystery's dorky, but Krentz again assembles an easy-to-like community of people." Pretty much says it all, don't you think?
Shirl
May 10, 2014 Shirl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good story of an art consultant and a hard edged business man. They distrust each other, yet are drawn to the other in order to solve a mystery.
Mae
Jan 28, 2015 Mae rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Easy read - time filler nothing more....
Allison (The Allure of Books)
I really don't think I'm cut out to be a fan of Krentz. This is my second book of hers and I remain underwhelmed. Her stories are always a little odd and disconnected, and the characters and their lives are about as deep as a wading pool. There are never any real emotions involved, and I never felt more than a slight ping of interest in the outcome of this story. I scanned through the second half, just curious enough to see how it ended. I can't say I'd recommend it, and I don't think I'll be re ...more
Shalet Jimmy
not too good...It's OK...
Kristel
Jul 25, 2016 Kristel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stopped-reading
Stopped reading
Diane ~Firefly~
Trask is back in town opening a new resort and Alexa is afraid he is going to try and get revenge on her step-father over his own father's death years ago. She is also trying to earn back her reputation in the art world. So she decides on the strategy of keeping your enemies close and works with Trask to find out what happened in the past. The book follows a standard JAK plot, but for some reason these characters don't pull me in like so many of her others have.
Nancy
Jan 26, 2014 Nancy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Boring, lacked description and intriguing characters.
Amelia-Irene
Jun 08, 2013 Amelia-Irene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this is an older book, the writing is as interesting today as it would have been 14 years ago when it came out. This "suspense/mystery/romance" (whichever category you want call it) should stand the test of time, no matter when you want to read it. Enjoy, the interactions of the characters, and the build up to the end. :-)
Virginia Boylan
This was an enjoyable book that took awhile to get me involved. I liked the hero much earlier than the heroine. Despite her spunky introduction, Alexa was too much of a wimp as an adult for me to care much about. The actual killer seemed a bit too far removed from the action until the revelation. Still a fun read, however.
Mem
Accusations of murder 12 years earlier have brought J.L. Trask back to Avalon, Arizona under the guise of the opening of the luxurious Avalon Resort.
Alexa's step-father is person J.L. accused 12 years ago and she fears he is back for revenge.
Sparks fly between them and that with more murders move the story right along.
Jess
Oct 03, 2010 Jess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the romance between Trask and Alexa. The story of Trask trying to solve the mystery of how his father died got a little boring after awhile. But I loved Mac's character and that part of the story with Alexa's career in art.

Definitely not one of my favorites from JAK, but it wasn't terrible either.
Jessica

Super formulaic, but more enjoyable than I remembered and I ended the book with a smile on my face.

The mystery part was meh, but I enjoyed the goofy cast of characters. Also, my mental image of Harriet was Jessica Fletcher, which made the scenes she was in extra delightful.
Ashley♥Alexis
Im usually a fan but this book was nothing special. It wasn't a bad book at all, it just wasn't captivating. I've been reading a bunch of really great books this week so maybe i've risen my standards a bit. If you're new to Krentz i'd say avoid this one because she has better.
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Eye of the Beholder (1999) 1 1 Sep 27, 2012 01:04PM
  • A Man's Protection
  • Raven's Prey
  • Don't Look Back (Lake/March, # 2)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
The author of over 50 consecutive New York Times bestsellers, JAYNE ANN KRENTZ writes romantic-suspense in three different worlds: Contemporary (as Jayne Ann Krentz), historical (as Amanda Quick) and futuristic (as Jayne Castle). There are over 30 million copies of her books in print.

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Santa Cruz and went on to obtain a Masters degre
More about Jayne Ann Krentz...