Start by marking “Right to the Edge: Sydney to Tokyo By Any Means” as Want to Read:
Right to the Edge: Sydney to Tokyo By Any Means

Right to the Edge: Sydney to Tokyo By Any Means

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The adventures of Charley Boormanas he travels Australia, Papua New Guinea, Indonesia, the Philippines, Taiwan, and Japan—by any means

Using quad bikes, hovercrafts, wooden scooters, canoes, paragliders, and of course his favoritemode of transportation—motorcycle—Charley travels through some of the most exotic and exciting countries in the world. Whether crossing the Bl
Published November 1st 2010 by Little, Brown Book Group (first published 2009)

Brad
Mar 08, 2010 Brad rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Charley Boorman fans, Motorcycle fans
Although better than his first By Any Means book, Charley Boorman's Right to the Edge follow-up is far from the pure joy of his collaborations with Ewan MacGregor, and the adrenaline rush of his solo Race to Dakar.

There's a travel weariness in Right to the Edge that has begun to diminish the shine that was so much a part of his earlier journeys. In the past, Boorman's trips had very specific boundaries that forced him or his team to tough out everything from impassable stretches of road and bad
Karen
And I thought I was reading a travel-book! Our bookgroup had as its theme 'Travel writing in Asia' and this title was included, but it could honestly have been set anywhere at all and it would not have made the slightest difference to what actually appeared on the page. Most of what I read (which admittedly wasn't much before I abandoned it on the 'life's too short' premise) was about Mr Boorman and his false modesty ('tell me I'm super really'), and the various modes of transport he is astride/ ...more
Richard
Littered with name dropping, ignorance and banality.

By far the worst travel book I have read from a distinctly poor and smugly over privilaged writer.

I confess I was drawn to the book due to familiarity with the authors fathers films. Think I'll stick with the movies.
Sam Still Reading
Jan 09, 2010 Sam Still Reading rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: armchair travellers and biker fans
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: TV series- By Any Means
Another solid effort from Charley- this second By Any Means book and TV series focuses less on the travel and more about the people and culture. There's less countries and no Russ, but the countries Charley visits are covered in much more detail. The book covers even more than the TV series and explains things in more depth. For biking fans, there are many more motorbikes this time round.

The writing is not high class literature, but the telling of Hiroshima's Genbaku Domu had me wiping away tear
Lilian
I have read Charley's Long Way... adventures with Ewan McGregor, but have not come across his solo adventures. What really caught my interest here was that he traveled across my country, and I did not know about it!! I especially liked reading those chapters about the Philippines. My hunch was also correct that he went to Handlebar -- I've been to that club and it is a well known haunt for Harley riders.

Reading all these books about travel and motorcycle riding really convinces me I'd like to se
Oggie Ramos
I have one other book in the series which I enjoyed more than this one. I tend to agree with the other reviews which termed the book as frantic. Maybe it's because Charley is first and foremost a biker/motorcycle enthusiast first and traveler second that the pace is like this. certainly not muy idea of travel though from the writing, I can sense his sense of British humor. I looked forward to reading his accounts here in the Philippines but they were a tad short. The book could've also benefited ...more
Rachel
Didn't enjoy this as much as I thought I would. There wasn't enough description of the places he visited. I know that he loves the bikes and the different methods of transport but I feel like he just shoots straight through places without stopping to enjoy the travel experience. Or maybe I just got bored of reading about bikes and trucks.
Angela
I love travel books and enjoyed the programs on TV featuring Charley Boorman. The book was very interesting and gave you a great insight in to different cultures. I'm not into motorcycles so a bit of the detail was lost on me at times but I still really enjoyed reading it.
Lucy Houser
I'm not interested in motorcycles in any way, but I enjoyed this book because I love Charley's outlook on life. He's positive and cheerful in the face of difficulty, and that's a good frame of mind.
Vicki
Interesting light read, but not as compelling somehow as Long Way Round & Long Way Down. If you like motorcycles you will no doubt find the details about which bikes Charley rode on his trip riveting.
Ewald
My Christmas present from my wife, who wishes that I join Charlie on a long, long, very long trip away from home... But it does sound fun, being around Charlie!
Phil Beswick
great read, i wonder just who pays for these trips Charley does, but either way witty, informative and recommended for any kind of traveller
Saturday's Child
Once again Charley has shared his adventures with us and I enjoyed reading about them, particularly Australia and Japan.
Charlene Armstrong
While I like the idea of travelling places by any means possible, this one just didn't intrigue me :(
Andy
solid - interesting mix of adventure and social commentary across Asia
James
James is currently reading it
Aug 11, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Heidi
Heidi added it
Jul 21, 2015
Alan Jones
Alan Jones marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Stephenie Oxley
Stephenie Oxley marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Neil Horton
Neil Horton marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Anne Low
Anne Low marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Sam Kyle
Sam Kyle marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Ricardo
Ricardo marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
  • Let's Go: Europe 2007
  • The Full Montezuma
  • Adventures on the High Teas: In Search of Middle England
  • New Europe
  • The Wave Watcher's Companion: From Ocean Waves to Light Waves via Shock Waves, Stadium Waves, and All the Rest of Life's Undulations
  • One Man and His Bike
  • Do Not Pass Go
  • Billy Connolly's Route 66
  • Night Letters: A Novel
  • Queenan Country: A Reluctant Anglophile's Pilgrimage to the Mother Country
  • Travel Photography: A Guide to Taking Better Pictures
  • Patagonia Revisited
  • In the Empire of Genghis Khan: An Amazing Odyssey Through the Lands of the Most Feared Conquerors in History
  • Map Addict: A Tale of Obsession, Fudge & the Ordnance Survey
  • Phaic Tan: Sunstroke on a Shoestring
  • Alone in Antarctica: The First Woman To Ski Solo Across The Southern Ice
  • The Man Who Cycled The World
  • Gazza : My Story
12041
Charley Boorman grew up in Ireland, spending much of his childhood riding motorcross bikes. From 1998 to 2002, he ran a British motorcycle team with Ewan McGregor, winning the Superstock Series with David Jeffries.
His first film role was as Ed's Boy, Jon Voight's son in Deliverance, directed by his father John Boorman. Since then, he has appeared in Excalibur, The Emerald Forest, Hope and Glory, K
More about Charley Boorman...
Race to Dakar By Any Means: His Brand New Adventure from Wicklow to Wollongong Extreme Frontiers: Racing Across Canada from Newfoundland to the Rockies Long Way Down Long Way Round: Chasing Shadows Across the World