Start by marking “Right to the Edge: By Any Means: The Road to the End of the Earth” as Want to Read:
Right to the Edge: By Any Means: The Road to the End of the Earth

Right to the Edge: By Any Means: The Road to the End of the Earth

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  152 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Charley Boorman is back in the saddle for a brand-new, adrenaline-fuelled adventure!

He begins his journey racing north from Sydney up the Gold Coast, where he hitches a ride in a Spitfire. In Papua New Guinea he takes a hand-made canoe through tropical rainforest to stay in a remote tribal village almost untouched by the outside world. He drives a tuk-tuk made of bamboo in
Published August 18th 2010 by Little, Brown (first published 2009)

Brad
Mar 08, 2010 Brad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Charley Boorman fans, Motorcycle fans
Although better than his first By Any Means book, Charley Boorman's Right to the Edge follow-up is far from the pure joy of his collaborations with Ewan MacGregor, and the adrenaline rush of his solo Race to Dakar.

There's a travel weariness in Right to the Edge that has begun to diminish the shine that was so much a part of his earlier journeys. In the past, Boorman's trips had very specific boundaries that forced him or his team to tough out everything from impassable stretches of road and bad
Karen
Jun 22, 2013 Karen rated it did not like it
Shelves: bios-autobios
And I thought I was reading a travel-book! Our bookgroup had as its theme 'Travel writing in Asia' and this title was included, but it could honestly have been set anywhere at all and it would not have made the slightest difference to what actually appeared on the page. Most of what I read (which admittedly wasn't much before I abandoned it on the 'life's too short' premise) was about Mr Boorman and his false modesty ('tell me I'm super really'), and the various modes of transport he is astride/ ...more
Richard
Jan 23, 2014 Richard rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Littered with name dropping, ignorance and banality.

By far the worst travel book I have read from a distinctly poor and smugly over privilaged writer.

I confess I was drawn to the book due to familiarity with the authors fathers films. Think I'll stick with the movies.
Sam Still Reading
Jan 09, 2010 Sam Still Reading rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: armchair travellers and biker fans
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: TV series- By Any Means
Another solid effort from Charley- this second By Any Means book and TV series focuses less on the travel and more about the people and culture. There's less countries and no Russ, but the countries Charley visits are covered in much more detail. The book covers even more than the TV series and explains things in more depth. For biking fans, there are many more motorbikes this time round.

The writing is not high class literature, but the telling of Hiroshima's Genbaku Domu had me wiping away tear
Lilian
Dec 04, 2013 Lilian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
I have read Charley's Long Way... adventures with Ewan McGregor, but have not come across his solo adventures. What really caught my interest here was that he traveled across my country, and I did not know about it!! I especially liked reading those chapters about the Philippines. My hunch was also correct that he went to Handlebar -- I've been to that club and it is a well known haunt for Harley riders.

Reading all these books about travel and motorcycle riding really convinces me I'd like to se
Oggie Ramos
I have one other book in the series which I enjoyed more than this one. I tend to agree with the other reviews which termed the book as frantic. Maybe it's because Charley is first and foremost a biker/motorcycle enthusiast first and traveler second that the pace is like this. certainly not muy idea of travel though from the writing, I can sense his sense of British humor. I looked forward to reading his accounts here in the Philippines but they were a tad short. The book could've also benefited ...more
Rachel
Didn't enjoy this as much as I thought I would. There wasn't enough description of the places he visited. I know that he loves the bikes and the different methods of transport but I feel like he just shoots straight through places without stopping to enjoy the travel experience. Or maybe I just got bored of reading about bikes and trucks.
Angela
Aug 10, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it
I love travel books and enjoyed the programs on TV featuring Charley Boorman. The book was very interesting and gave you a great insight in to different cultures. I'm not into motorcycles so a bit of the detail was lost on me at times but I still really enjoyed reading it.
Lucy Houser
Jan 02, 2013 Lucy Houser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not interested in motorcycles in any way, but I enjoyed this book because I love Charley's outlook on life. He's positive and cheerful in the face of difficulty, and that's a good frame of mind.
Vicki
Dec 06, 2011 Vicki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting light read, but not as compelling somehow as Long Way Round & Long Way Down. If you like motorcycles you will no doubt find the details about which bikes Charley rode on his trip riveting.
Ewald
Dec 27, 2010 Ewald rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Christmas present from my wife, who wishes that I join Charlie on a long, long, very long trip away from home... But it does sound fun, being around Charlie!
Phil Beswick
May 20, 2013 Phil Beswick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great read, i wonder just who pays for these trips Charley does, but either way witty, informative and recommended for any kind of traveller
Saturday's Child
Once again Charley has shared his adventures with us and I enjoyed reading about them, particularly Australia and Japan.
Charlene Armstrong
While I like the idea of travelling places by any means possible, this one just didn't intrigue me :(
Andy
Jan 05, 2015 Andy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, library, travel
solid - interesting mix of adventure and social commentary across Asia
Arjit Krishna
Arjit Krishna marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Quack
Quack rated it it was ok
Jul 17, 2016
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Eilidh Clark
Eilidh Clark rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Gareth
Gareth added it
Jun 29, 2016
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Laura Belshaw
Laura Belshaw marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Becky Straub
Becky Straub marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Zara
Zara marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Dan Reid
Dan Reid marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
  • Let's Go: Europe 2007
  • The Full Montezuma
  • Adventures on the High Teas: In Search of Middle England
  • The Wave Watcher's Companion: From Ocean Waves to Light Waves via Shock Waves, Stadium Waves, and All the Rest of Life's Undulations
  • New Europe
  • Down To The Sea In Ships
  • Queenan Country: A Reluctant Anglophile's Pilgrimage to the Mother Country
  • Micronations: the Lonely Planet guide to self-proclaimed nations
  • Billy Connolly's Route 66
  • The Ribbons Are for Fearlessness: My Journey from Norway to Portugal beneath the Midnight Sun
  • Why the Dutch are Different: A Journey into the Hidden Heart of the Netherlands
  • The Man Who Cycled the Americas
12041
Charley Boorman grew up in Ireland, spending much of his childhood riding motorcross bikes. From 1998 to 2002, he ran a British motorcycle team with Ewan McGregor, winning the Superstock Series with David Jeffries.
His first film role was as Ed's Boy, Jon Voight's son in Deliverance, directed by his father John Boorman. Since then, he has appeared in Excalibur, The Emerald Forest, Hope and Glory, K
More about Charley Boorman...