The Colosseum (Wonders of the World)

The Colosseum (Wonders of the World)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  15 reviews

Read the Bldg Blog interview with Mary Beard about the Wonders of the World series (Part I and Part II)

Byron and Hitler were equally entranced by Rome's most famous monument, the Colosseum. Mid-Victorians admired the hundreds of varieties of flowers in its crannies and occasionally shuddered at its reputation for contagion, danger, and sexual temptation. Today it is the

Published May 31st 2011 by Harvard University Press (first published February 24th 2005)

Nikki
This book isn't quite as exhaustive as Mary Beard's book on Pompeii, but it's very good. It discusses both the popular myths about the Colosseum and the truths, if any, behind them. It's also nice that Mary Beard and Keith Hopkins recognise that they could be wrong, and that future archaelogy could show them to be as wrong as the people whose comments and theories they disparage.

It's well written and interesting, including notes and further reading. They seem, for my memories of Rome, to be a pr...more
Ryan
Jun 03, 2008 Ryan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: local afficionados
Full of great anectdotes and research, this book is perfect for the rare individual who is ready to look at the Colosseum academically. Without even going out of its way it makes clear that most of what you think you know about this wonder of the world is actually not true. It is a bit of a mythbuster, and convincingly done, a storyline of this monument's biography does emerge more clearly than the fable-ized version allows possible.
Carolynn
Well I swithered and dithered about reading this DURING A219 and how I wish I had: pg 53 discusses Symmachus [of the mosaic in the exam] and how he write letters about putting on gladiatorial shows to celebrate his son's praetorship.....:-0 Anyhoo, I really enjoyed this short chunter through the life of the Colosseum from 80AD to now. Less idiosyncratic and more useful than the volume on the Roman Forum in the same series.
Jonathan
While the authors have interesting points it feels as if they try to cover too much in too little space. Many things I would have liked to have been elaborated on were only mentioned in passing in one sentence, while other things that didnt seem as interesting were discussed at times for pages. This obviously is rather opinion based but this book is merely ok, nothing great but not horrible either.
Elise
I picked up this book while on a trip to Italy in April/May 2011. It's a pretty interesting book about the Colosseum and what it became and represented over the years. It also debunks some myths about the history of the structure. It's interesting that the quotes on the cover refer to this book as being funny, but I didn't find it all that funny, yet intriguing.
Converse
Though gladiatorial shows certainly happened in Colosseum, we know less about the details than one would think. Present building is in poor repair, hampering investigations of its use. Also, previous repairs & reconstructions ironically get in the way of interpreting its purpose.
Valerie
Broke some of the myth, i loved the graffiti and shows that there is a lot of christian propaganda as the numbers of Christians as well as the exotic menagerie needed was quite outrageously expensive and logistically mind boggling especially considering we are talking 80 AD - 523 .
Gaetano Amato
Interesting read about a building that is taken for granted. Very easy to read and I look forward to reading other other books in the series - The Parthenon (Mary Beard) and The Temple of Jersulalem (Simon Goldhill).
Tim Baldini
Impressive work on the much admired structure. Debunks many of the rumours and myth surrounding it's history and legacy. A must read for those interested in the Colosseum!
John
Impressive short history of Colosseum through history. I gave it a 4th star because I admire the authors' ability to be comprehensive in such a short book (less than 200 pages).
Brendan Howard
Another marvelous book by Mary Beard, this time as co-author and finisher of a work begun with her now-deceased colleague, Keith Hopkins.

Ann
May 20, 2011 Ann is currently reading it
amazing book that reads more like a travel essay than a history book. Amazing graphics, fits in your pocket.
Daniel Mcintyre
Hugely interesting. Great overview
Jason Golomb
This is the perfect overview of one of the most iconic buildings in the world. Mary Beard, renowned for her accessible and insightful views on world history, collaborated with Keith Hopkins to create an erudite but very readable history of a building that simply took my breath away the first time I saw it live a few years ago.

The Colosseum was recently named one of the 7 NEW Wonders of the World. It’s eye-catching and iconic series of white stone arches, uniformly built into multilayered tiers...more
Janneke
Janneke marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Mosam Shah
Mosam Shah marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Juliew.
Juliew. is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2014
Andre Jakobsen
Andre Jakobsen marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Eric_W
Eric_W marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
vmoroz
vmoroz marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
A World Full of Gods: The Strange Triumph of Christianity Conquerors and Slaves A World Full Of Gods: Pagans, Jews, And Christians In The Roman Empire Death and Renewal: Volume 2: Sociological Studies in Roman History Hong Kong