Start by marking “The Shamer's Daughter (The Shamer Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Shamer's Daughter (The Shamer Chronicles, #1)

The Shamer's Daughter (The Shamer Chronicles #1)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  5,109 ratings  ·  267 reviews
"It ought to be quite a show," said the squire, obviously enjoying the attention of the crowd. "The false Shamer has been convicted of witchcraft and treason and is to be executed tomorrow."
I couldn't move. I couldn't breathe. I knew now where my mother was. Drakan had her. And tomorrow he would give her to the dragons.

Who dares look into the Shamer's eyes?

Dina has unwilli
Published May 1st 2004 by Henry Holt and Company (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Shamer's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shamer's Daughter

Katrine B.
This was my first real fantasy book. I read it when I was about 9 or 10 and in the beginning I made my mother read it out loud - one chapter each night.
One day I got really excited about it, but then the chapter ended and my mother told me to go to sleep.

When I couldn't sleep because I kept thinking about the next chapter and what might happen, I ran downstairs, "stole" the book and finished it in one night. I got so caught up I forgot everything about time, school the next day - even my own ex
Το βιβλίο της Αισχύντρα δεν νομίζω τελικά ότι είναι και τόσο παιδικό. Άμα εξαιρέσουμε την πού νεαρή ηλικία της πρωταγωνίστριας, αυτό που μένει είναι ένα ξεκάθαρα ενήλικό βιβλίο. Δεν συγκαταλέγετε στα κλασικά φάντασυ κατά την γνώμη μου, διότι αισθάνθηκα καθ’ όλη την διάρκεια της ανάγνωσης, ότι όλο του το θέμα είναι μια αλληγορική αναπαράσταση του δικού μας κόσμου. Ναι, έχει δράκους, ιππότες και μάγισσες, αλλά και τι με αυτό; Το διάβασα όλο με μια διάχυτη μελαγχολία. Διότι η Αισχύντρα, βλέπετε, έχ ...more
I actually didn't dislike this book as much as the rating would imply; The Shamer's Daughter is a quick, fun read and the idea of the "Shamer", while not totally revolutionary, is fresh and engaging. But while The Shamer's Daughter is an enjoyable read, it suffers from a bland heroine and a shade of the "but I'm not like other girls" brand of sexism that I've come to loathe in middle grade and young adult fiction.

Dina Tonnerre is the daughter of the Shamer, a woman who can look into the eyes of
Cait Grace
It wasn't the book cover that caught my attention--not the title, not the promising thinness of the book, or the blurb on the back. It was the Author's Note.

I opened the book and began to read what the author had written about her book. The story behind her novel fascinated me--how she lived in Denmark, translated her own books to English, lived across the harbour from the royal residency and waved to the queen every morning. But I also love what she said about The Look.

"I think we learn the p
How did this book get past me when it was first published? The premise is described in the trailer for the novel: Dina is the daughter of the Village Shamer, a woman who can read the truth in people through looking at their eyes. Quite literally, when you are looking into her eyes, you are rendered incapable of lying, and she can see how you really think, feel, and behave, even in your most private moments. This makes her very useful for law enforcement, obviously, but also tremendously unpopula ...more
Sarah picked this book out and I decided to read it since she didn't. I knew I could read it in less than a day and then tell her if it was worth it or not. Now I know that she would most likely enjoy it. I'm glad that here is a new series for her to read... anything to get her head out of Eragon yet again.

What I like about the book is how the reader grows with the characters. In the beginning, there's so much mystery and childlike innocence about the world and not knowing what is going on. As t
Kan lige så godt springe ud i det med det samme: JEG ELSKER DEN HER BOG!!!

Skammerens Datter er virkelig en af mine absolut mest elskede og læste bøger! Tror jeg har læst den her serie mindst lige så mange gange som Harry Potter, hvis ikke flere! Kan den næsten til hudløshed, men den har en bestemt 'feel', som gør, at man ikke keder sig og nemt kan læse den om og om igen!

Hele grund ideen tiltaler mig, da det ikke er noget man har set før, hverken på dansk eller engelsk. Lene Kaaberbøl har skabt
Stine Holt
Et kærkomment gensyn med Dina. Jeg var en smule ængstelig for, om jeg mon havde ophøjet bogen siden jeg læste den, da den udkom for 15 år siden, men mine anelser havde heldigvis ingen belæg. Jeg nød at høre Kaaberbøl læse op, og tiden fløj afsted med hendes stemme i mine ører.
This is the first in an entertaining fantasy series. The premise of the book includes a woman, called the Shamer, and her daughter, who shares her unusual ability. Their ability is powerful and makes many people unwilling or unable to befriend them. Their power is that they can see into a person's conscience just by looking into their eyes. They cause people to feel guilt for thier wrongs and can tell if someone is lying or being honest. Because almost everyone has something in their past that t ...more
What a cool concept! The Shamer's Daughter follows eleven-year-old Dina, who is the daughter of something called a Shamer. Shamers' powers, which are inherited genetically, allow the Shamer to look anyone in the eye and force them to relive all of their shameful memories and confess their bad deeds.

The Shamer's gift is rare and the few around, like Dina's mother, are called on to settle legal disputes. This turns south when she is called to prove a man guilty in the matter of a royal murder - an
Oct 13, 2014 Kelsey rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young fantasy readers, adults who don't mind reading children's books
Recommended to Kelsey by: Goodreads
--Just a caution: this review has a couple of less-than-polite words in it. If you don't want to see them, you probably shouldn't read this... and you probably shouldn't read The Shamer's Daughter, either.--

I wasn't sure about The Shamer's Daughter when I decided to purchase it (something I hardly ever do without reading the book first), but it sounded interesting and GR seemed to think I would like it, so I took a chance, and I'm glad I did.

The things I liked:

1) The concept of "Shamer's Eyes."
Dette er vel en af den slags bøger, man bare skal have læst når man elsker at læse, og godt kan lide fantasy. Derfor skammer (Hehe) jeg mig også en lille smule over, at jeg aldrig har læst den før nu. Men det er der blevet rådet bod på nu.
Jeg ved slet ikke hvor jeg skal starte eller hvad jeg skal sige. Der er ikke så meget andet at sige end at jeg elsker den! Den overgik klart mine forventninger, som jeg havde fået bygget op, fordi den er så populær og omtalt.
Jeg kan rigtig godt lide Dina, hun b
I remember reading this when I was in school. I still haven't decided if I actually like it or not. It's got some great elements, but I don't love it and I kind of wanted it to be over. I can't remember if I've read the other stories in this series, or not, and I haven't decided if I will read them.

Dina's mother is a Shamer. Shamer's can look in someone's eye and show their guilt. This makes them important, but uncomfortable to be around. Dina has inherited this gift and hates it.

Dina and her
Lauretta Drake
This would be the very first book that I considered one of my all time favourites. It was the title that caught my attention, 'The Shamer's Daughter'. The very concept of a shamer, a person with the ability to make someone feel ashamed of their wrongdoings with only a look, was appealing to me. I admit, I derived a ton of satisfaction whenever someone was brought to tears from that look. Opening the book with such a scene was brilliant.
The plot line was simple, not an epic as one would expect w
You know it's a good weekend when you get to reread one of your all time favorite books, and in danish! Going into this I was afraid my danish would be rusty, but there was no problem. I'm actually more nervous to read the other books in the series in nynorsk (a type of norwegian), which is the language I have the two last books in.

This book, and this series in general, is amazing. I never get tired of it, and I always find myself coming back to it. It's fantasy and it has dragons, what more cou
Just like any other fantasy loving danish girl, have I read this book when I was younger and loved the story like almost no other book. I guess I was around the protagonist's age (Dina) when I read it the first time (9 years old, I think) and just like with the Harry Potter series, Dina have grown up with me.

Again like Harry Potter, I feel like you never can get too old to read The Shamer's daughter. Of course it may seem weird to be listening to a 9-years old girl, but it's just like re-reading
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Πρέπει να έχει περάσει τουλάχιστον ένας χρόνος από τότε που η καλή μου φίλη Αργυρώ μου πρότεινε να διαβάσω την τετραλογία της "Αισχύντρα", πιστεύοντας ότι είναι κάτι εντελώς διαφορετικό απ' όσα έχουμε διαβάσει το τελευταίο διάστημα στη λογοτεχνία του φανταστικού, κάτι που κάνει τη διαφορά, έστω κι αν δεν στέκεται ικανό να σε εντυπωσιάσει από το πρώτο κι όλας βιβλίο. Η αλήθεια είναι ότι είχα κάποιο δισταγμό και ο λόγος δεν είναι άλλος από το ότι για μια ακόμη φορά, το βιβλίο βρισκόταν στο παιδικό ...more
Kater Cheek
My middle-grade daughter really loved this series and told me I had to read it. Let me start off by saying that if I had read this when I were in junior high, I would have adored it. It has everything I loved back then: a magical young girl protagonist, evil knights, cute boys, and dragons. It takes place in a familiar McFantasyland setting, the kind of place I wanted to live when I was younger.

These, of course, are all the reasons that I didn't like it that much reading it as an adult. It's not
Penelope Frost
I can't say anything negative about the book. In my opinion it couldn't be any better.

The first time I read this it was forced in 6th grade(I think - I don't remember) by my Danish teacher. I had a hard time getting into it because it was compulsory reading. In class we were only reading half the book, but my teacher encouraged us to read the rest of it. By then I didn't need any incentive. I had begun reading ahead of the homework and finish a couple of days later and immediately began on the s
Kate Hastings
Nov 22, 2009 Kate Hastings rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Middle School, fantasy, dragons, special powers
This was recommended by a teen at our library... and it was REALLY good. So good, that I had to put down Maze Runner to finish it. Now I need to read the sequels!

A shamer is someone with the power to make others see all the bad things they have done in their lives by looking into their eyes. Dina and her mother are shamers and live a life of solitude because of their "gift."

But shamers are a good thing to have when terrible crimes are committed, and they are called to look into the eyes of a kil
Wow - det var en hurtig lille bog:o Nå er jeg glad jeg har resten af serien her hjemme, det skal blive spennende at se hvad der sker videre^^
Da jeg var yngre, var Skammerens Datter en af mine yndlings bøger, og jeg elsker den stadig. Jeg ser meget frem til også at se filmen!
Maria Elmvang
A 3.5 star review.

I first read this series several years ago, but have been wanting to reread it ever since seeing the musical based upon it last year. The funny thing is the musical was excellent, but the book only so-so... probably because I'm way outside the target age group for it. While well written, it's obviously a childrens' book, and aimed directly at them. It was still reasonably entertaining though, and the sequels are being adapted for stage this autumn, so I think I might as well go
Naserallah Chaouki
The title of the this magnificent book is The Shamer’s Daughter written by Lene Kaaberbol. The main character in this book is Dina Tonnerre a Shamer’s daughter, a Shamer is a man or woman who can bring out a confession no matter how deep it is hidden. During most of the story the setting takes place in Dunark a fictional region. The Shamer had been sent to Dunark to see if a murderer had commit a crime . The next day, a man meets our main character and tells her that her mother is in trouble and ...more
Endnu engang en fantastisk fortælling, og jeg nød virkeligt at få den læst højt denne gang, selvom jeg i starten slet ikke kunne forlige mig med oplæserens stemme. Den passede bare slet ikke til min Dina. Den var ligesom lidt på neutral, stille og forsigtig. I mit hoved er Dina lidt mere livlig og stædig. Men efterhånden som jeg endnu engang blev lukket ind i fortællingen lagde jeg ikke så meget mærke til det.

Hvad jeg til gengæld bemærkede var at der er utroligt mange af replikkerne i bogen der
The book called Skammerens Datter is very good and interesting book. It is a danish book and it's about a girl called Dina, she tries to help a boy called Nico (or Nicodemus). A man called Drakan want's to stop them, he wants to make everyone think that Nico is guilty. This is a very good book, you should try and read it!
The book is by Lene Kaarberbøl.

PS: in english it's called The Shamer's Daughter.
Waffle  Writer
This was such a quick and cute read. The thing is, I didn't even know this book existed until I was browsing book blogs and one reccomended this series for fans of "The Chronicles of Narnia". I can say that I support that reccomendation! It was just a really great read that I enjoyed. Dina, the main character, can make people feel ashamed of themselves when they look into her eyes. She has inherited this trait from her mother, who is called a Shamer and uses her gift to find criminals. Dina howe ...more
Linn Marie
I really liked this book! It was much better then i thought, recommended!

I like how the characters are presented in a different way then most books. I can't explain it, but you just get to know the characters in this serie very very well, i feel like i know them! If you like fantasy without too much magic this is a catch.
Hanne Frost
<3 den er så fin ... Hvad skal jeg sige? Efter have været i teatret og set dramatiseringen og sunget med på alle sangene det sidste års tid - så var det på tide også lige at få læst romanen. Glæder mig til at læse serien færdig og se Skammerens Datter 2 på Østre Gasværk Teater d. 2. november :-)
  • Dæmonernes Hvisken (Historien om Mira, #1)
  • Djævelens lærling (Den store djævlekrig, #1)
  • Erik Menneskesøn
  • Råta (Ravneringene #2)
  • Shamran - den som kommer
  • Dystopia
  • Vølvens Datter (Jarastavens Vandring #1)
  • ...och de vita skuggorna i skogen (Skuggserien, #2)
  • Parados øye (Phenomena, #2)
Jeg kom til verden på Rigshospitalet i København d. 24.3.1960. Overlægen var i kjole og hvidt - han var blevet afbrudt midt i en gallamiddag - men min søster siger, at det er da ikke noget, hendes fødselslæge var i islandsk nationaldragt. Nogen vil mene at det således allerede fra starten var klart at jeg var et ganske særligt barn. Andre vil sikkert påstå at min mor bare var god til at skabe plud ...more
More about Lene Kaaberbøl...

The Shamer Chronicles (4 books)
  • The Shamer's Signet (The Shamer Chronicles, #2)
  • The Serpent Gift (The Shamer Chronicles, #3)
  • The Shamer's War (The Shamer Chronicles, #4)