Start by marking “Socks for Supper” as Want to Read:
Socks for Supper

Socks for Supper

4.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  320 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
When a poor couple exchange socks for cheese and milk, they receive more than expected.
Published 1978 by Parents Magazine Press

To ask other readers questions about Socks for Supper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Socks for Supper

Patrick
Dec 26, 2014 Patrick rated it it was amazing
Honestly? I'm amazed that this book is here on goodreads.

It was published back in '78. And I have an old, old copy that we used to read back in the day.

Honestly? I can't be a good judge of this book, as I love it too much from my childhood. I have no idea if it's still in print....

But my gut tells me that if you can find a copy you won't be disappointed.
Michelle Manuel
Oct 26, 2013 Michelle Manuel rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books as a child. I never had my own copy but would borrow it from the library and renew all the time. I had not read it for over 25 years and today I came across a copy at my local library's annual used book sale. It brought tears to my eyes to see it again!
It is a heartwarming story and it has such simple but beautiful illustrations. I always loved the picture of the old man slicing into the cheese at the dinner table....as a child I remember thinking how delicious that che
Relyn
Mar 12, 2016 Relyn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: Jackie Watts
Shelves: lawsonland
This was the absolute best book for my economics unit. I LOVED it and so did the kids! It's funny and unexpected, surprising and delightfully illustrated. I used it to teach barter and we had quite a character lesson that occurred spontaneously after reading it. This book is out of print, but well worth the effort it took to order it in through interlibrary loan. Next I need to purchase it. The book really was great.
Aug 09, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Because we loved Dooly by Jack Kent, my sister went on an author binge. This is a funny story with great illustrations. Your little ones (and older) are bound to laugh aloud!
Cheryl
Delightful tale with a lovely ending. Old fashioned illustrations add to the charm
Literary  Chanteuse
May 14, 2010 Literary Chanteuse rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Loved this book as a child.
Mellisa Garrard
Jun 24, 2014 Mellisa Garrard rated it it was amazing
This book is one of my all time favorite picture books. One of the things that I love about this book is that Jack Kent introduces children to working for something you don't have. The old couple does not have any cheese and milk, so they trade with their neighbor to receive those goods. It's presented in a light and happy way, and does not dwell on the poverty of the older couple. It has such a sweet message. I also love the happy ending and the wittiness of the title.
Angie
Jul 25, 2014 Angie rated it really liked it
My mom recently cleaned out the house and found a bunch of books from when we were little. Of course she gave them all to me. They certainly bring back memories of reading them over and over and over again. 30 years later and I still remember these stories. The books themselves may be a little worse for wear but the stories are still wonderful.

I love this story and it has a great message about neighbors and sharing what you have. One of my favorites.
Jaclyn Goss
Nov 16, 2008 Jaclyn Goss rated it it was amazing
My favorite kids book as a child, and even now. It's a book about a poor old couple who have nothing but eachother. They live in a tumbledown cottage, and only have the turnips they grow to eat. there neighboors are a young couple with a farm who are very well off. they dine on milk and cheese, and have warm and happy life. The poor couple want nothing more then some cheese and milk for a change, but have nothing to exchange for it save some socks, that the woman knits form yarn in the old mans ...more
Alex Smith
Mar 01, 2014 Alex Smith rated it it was amazing
This book will teach your child to use whatever God has given them to survive in life. It also teaches about sharing, helping, & improvising. I read this book alot when I was a child. I read it to my children & to my daughter's entire class. I love this book!
Cindy Liu
Jul 23, 2014 Cindy Liu rated it it was amazing
Loved it, this books is just adorable, and brings to me fund memories of when I was in grade .
Jessica
Aug 10, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite books as a child!
Emmet Miles
Jun 27, 2014 Emmet Miles rated it really liked it
mom's book
Isaac
Sep 03, 2012 Isaac rated it it was amazing
This is a very sweet story of a poor old man and his wife who trade socks with their neighbors in order to feast of cheese and milk instead of their usual meal of turnips. This story had a heart warming quality to it as is follows the simple life of the old couple as they find happiness is the most basic of living. The illustrations while basic add an element of humor to the story as the reader experiences the basics of literally trading socks for supper. Always has been a favorite of mine since ...more
Andrea
Feb 11, 2016 Andrea rated it it was amazing
I like this book a lot. It teaches children how to be resourceful and how important it is to be good people. The poor old couple seem to be very happy to almost nothing. It's humbling. That is an essential lesson I think people have forgotten.

The ending is cute. Everyone got what they needed in the end.

My only gripe is how poor the couple is. It's rather depressing. I felt bad for the couple and wanted to give them money, food and clothes until I came back to reality and remembered this was a s
Alicia
Jul 18, 2007 Alicia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrenslit
This is one of my favorite picture books of all time. The story is sooo sweet. An old farmer and his poor wife have nothing to eat, so the wife knits socks to trade the neighbors for cheese and milk. Eventually the poor old woman runs out of yarn and starts unraveling her husband's sweater so they can eat. By the end of the book the husband has no shirt on his back...and you will have to read it to find out what happens! I read it when I was little and I will read it to my baby!! love it!
Cami
May 15, 2008 Cami rated it really liked it
Another one of my favorite children's books. It has often made me cry.
It's a simple story about two poor folks that have nothing to eat but turnips. They decide to begin trading knitted socks for a bucket of milk and a small cheese from their dairy farmer neighbor. I don't know what it is about these pictures and the simple story, but I can feel how good it is to eat these rich foods for them.
The ending is very touching.
Cassandra Lang
Oct 22, 2012 Cassandra Lang rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This was one of my favorite books when I was little! I've read it more times than I can count. It's a sweet story, about a poor old couple who eat nothing but turnips. Their neighbors are well off and they agree to trade their milk and cheese for socks. It's the kind of story that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, especially the ending.
Crystal Marcos
Apr 05, 2010 Crystal Marcos rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book. So do my brothers and sisters! We grew up reading this book over and over. I still pick it up and read it once in a while. Well written wonderful little story! If you can get your hands on it snag it up. I believe it has been out of print for a while.
Amy
Nov 14, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
The kids enjoyed this story. My niece said that she thought Socks for Supper was going to be boring, but, "it wasn't! It was funny," and my nephew had me read it to him a second time. This would also make a great read aloud book for beginning readers.
Rebecca Dawson
Aug 24, 2012 Rebecca Dawson rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite children's books. Such an endearing story that make children light up when they realize what has truly happened with the characters and still manages to touch the childlike hopes in adults.
Kimberly
4 1/2 stars for this darling little book that, regrettably, is out of print. At least I was able to read a copy this week that my sister-in-law checked out from the Los Angeles library for me and the kids.
Cathy
Dec 29, 2013 Cathy rated it it was amazing
I loved this book growing up and own a copy right now. It's a very simple story with good morals.
Jen
Sep 29, 2011 Jen rated it it was amazing
One of my childhood favorites. I bought an old copy of it online so I could share the story with my kids. I also bought one for my brother since I remember reading it to him when he was a kid.
Amanda
Jan 24, 2010 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
This is an adorable story. It was recommended to me on Ravelry (knitter's social networking site) since it's a knitting story, but it is has a great story for anyone.
Shane
May 18, 2012 Shane rated it it was amazing
Yet another fantastic children's book from the master, Jack Kent. Children's authors don't come like him anymore. Your kids will read this book over and over again.
Maria
Jul 02, 2009 Maria rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored this book as a child. I must have borrowed it ten times from the school library before my mom bought it for me, I couldn't get enough.
Ashanti
Apr 30, 2009 Ashanti rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Glenn
Shelves: silly-books
It was funny when the WIFE and HUSBEND was tradeing socks for cheese and when they ran out the WIFE was useing the husbends sweater to make socks
Ashley
Interest Level Grades K - 2
Genre: Fiction
Themes: Teamwork, Character, Creativity, Poverty, Trade
Uses: Casual reading for comprehension
Heather
Oct 04, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing
The best kids' book EVER! Too bad it's out of print and you can't buy it anymore. That's okay, I still have my copy from when I was a kid!
Socks for Supper 1 5 Sep 03, 2012 11:26PM
  • Popcorn
  • But No Elephants
  • Pickle Things
  • Kermit the Hermit
  • Christina Katerina & the Box
  • The King Who Rained (Stories to Go!)
  • Grumpy Cat
  • The Little Lamb
  • I'd Know You Anywhere, My Love
  • Never Tease a Weasel
  • Pumpkin Jack
  • The Balloon Tree
  • Cornelius P. Mud, Are You Ready for Bed?
  • Suddenly!