Struggle for Intimacy

Struggle for Intimacy

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Janet Woititz, mother of the recovery movement, sensitively addresses the barriers of trust and intimacy that children learn in an alcoholic family. She provides suggestions for building loving relationships with friends, partners, and spouses.
Published August 1st 1986 by Health Communications (first published August 1st 1985)

Sophia
What am i doing right now? Eating packets of taco bell hot sauce until my mouth feels like its going to act like the southern states in the civil war and run away by secession for a little while or something... best simile ever, right guys? Cuz that like so totally shows that I know like a lot about American History now that im blonde and all.

BUT I DIGRESS.
(that was in no way a metaphor for this book only getting 3 stars... js... for shizzle i'm serious)

Parts of this made me really realize how v...more
Allison W.
Jan 14, 2013 Allison W. rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Everyone - seriously
Recommended to Allison W. by: Spotted it on a shelf in the library
While I did not grow up in an alcoholic household, there was plenty of dysfunction to go around. I found this little book much more enlightening than I expected I would. I read quite a few "self-help" books and frequently I'm thinking, "yeah, yeah, yeah. Blah, blah, blah." Well, for a change, I really feel like I've gained some insight, courtesy of this book.

I plowed right through it but I fully intend to re-read it several times before I return it to the library. Whether you are an ACOA (Adult...more
Brandy
Great book for those that have grown up in an alcoholic home (or highly dysfunctional home) or for those that are involved with an Adult Child of an Alcoholic. This book explains why Adult Children of Alcoholics (ACOA's) behave the way they do in relationships, why they choose the types of partners and relationships they do and why they struggle with finding a sense of "normalcy" in a relationship. Having grown up in an alcoholic home, I found this book extremely insightful - I recognized a lot...more
James
Mar 04, 2008 James rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Anyone wrestling with relationship issues and any counselor, therapist, or social worker
This is kind of a sequel to the author's title Adult Children of Alcoholics. In this one, she focuses specifically on the challenges faced in romantic relationships by adults who were brought up by alcoholics or adults whose parenting abilities were inadequate for other reasons. Again, she vividly shows the kinds of problems that come up, explains their roots, and guides the reader in changing the patterns. A very useful book.
Ed
Not bad. It focuses on the relationship problems incurred by children of alcoholics. I am one, and understand the life-long struggle to be "normal". The information is accurate, but not all that new. My big take-away concerned my trust issues. This book was recommended to me, and the time is right for n=me to hear this.
Dee L.
I wish this was longer. I do like that she has a section on same-sex relationships, but she talks about fear of homophobia as part of a COA's psyche, which doesn't really apply to most queers I know. She also has a section on being the partner of a COA and the characteristics of COAs, which are both helpful.
Julie
Amazing how a book written 30 years ago can speak to me still. This is the third time I've read the book. It reminds me I still need to remember what makes ME who I am and how I've overcome much of the hurt from my youth. It is possible to find healing. :)
Olivia
Highly recommend this book. Fast, easy read. Chock-full of great information for how to establish trust, intimacy and have a healthy adult relationship. Recommended for anyone who desires a healthy relationship; ACOA or not.
Deborah Day
This is a wonderful book for all Adult Children of Alcoholics. In a simple manner the author helps the ACOA understand the many difficulties they experience in achieving a healthy love relationship.
Bridget
Very insightful book for Adult Children of Alcoholics, struggling to find their way through the minefield of this disease. As helpful as her Adult Children of Alcoholics.
Jessica
Mar 01, 2012 Jessica rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: adult children of alcoholics
This book might be small and short but its powerful and heavy.

If you come from a alcoholic home its something you should read.
Claire
Wasn't really a "fit" for me. Rather vague.
Gennaro Esposito
Great, helpful series that's aged very well.
Michelle Sweetland

Great book for ACOA's
B
B marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Katy
Katy added it
Mar 31, 2014
Leo
Leo added it
Mar 20, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Jonida
Jonida added it
Mar 06, 2014
Christie Pfalzgraf
Christie Pfalzgraf marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Judyta
Judyta is currently reading it
Feb 06, 2014
Angel Polskiina
Angel Polskiina marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014