A Pair of Socks

A Pair of Socks (MathStart Level 1)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Does a polka-dotted sock match a striped sock? Young children will learn about matching, an important early math skill, as a lonely striped sock searches the house for its mate. They will may even be inspired to practice this skill in their own sock drawers! Best Children's Science Books 1997 (Science Books and Films)
Published July 19th 1996 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about A Pair of Socks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Pair of Socks

Keli
Nov 14, 2008 Keli rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Ages 3-6
Synopsis

A blue and red striped sock searches through the house looking for its mate.

Review

Through this book, children are introduced to the important concept of same and different. On each page, the sock finds a possible match in various places around the house. The following page has the two brightly colored socks side by side on a black background. This makes it easy for children to see the differences between the two socks. The book ends with a two page spread of all the socks encountered in...more
Amanda
Dec 01, 2013 Amanda rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: math
A Pair of Socks is a very simple picture book that was written with the intention of teaching very young children to identify similarities and differences between patterns. This book would be useful in a kindergarten to first grade classroom but I would be hesitant to use it in older classrooms. The text and the concept of matching socks is very simple and relates to something within the child’s world and so it really helps to bring math to life for very young children. However, this book was no...more
Peacegal
The first book i have encountered written from the perspective of a sock!
Stephanie
Murphy introduces young children to the concept of patterns through a lone sock's search for its mate. The boldly colored artwork helps children clearly see various stripes, dots, and designs. There is a slight story in the rhyming text, but as with most concept books, fine literature isn't the point. Readers can practice their newly learned skill with a matching exercise. The book ends with suggested activities, such as clapping and stomping in different patterns, parents can try with children...more
Janet
A brief story of a red and blue sock trying to find their match. Lois Ehlert's illustrations make this title a delight for the concept of matching as she is a master of color, shape and design.
This is the first title I have seen that Ehlert illustrated for another author. Are there more?
Seth Lebaron
Same or different. This book will help students look at groups of objects and shapes to see if they are the same or are they different. I would have objects on two sides of the room, so will be similar and others will be copies of each other. I would have my students (small group activity) try to match up the correct pairs as fast as they could and then talk about how are these objects the same. I would also have the students talkl about why the similars are not quite right.
Christina Camp
This is a cute story about matching socks. It also rhymes. It has very pretty and bright pictures and the text is easy enough for even early readers to work with. In the end of the book, the sock finds his match in the dog bed. I particularly liked this because my dogs used to steal my socks too. The last page of the book also has all of the socks together for the students to match.
Teresa
Story about making pairs. It's a very simple level one book but shows how to match up a pair. Throughout the story one sock is looking for it's pair by eliminating all the other socks that come up. At the end there is a page of all the socks for students to match up together based on the designs and coloring of the socks.
Katterley
Cute story. I bought this as part of a pack of books by Stuart Murphy that teach math concepts. They're all good, and have teaching lessons in the back that I was able to adapt to the summer reading program on numerous occasions. Shhh! Don't tell them they're learning at the library, it's only fun and games, OK?
Kelly Morgan
I dislike mix match socks!! This book discusses socks that need matching pairs. This book is great to teach in math, when students are learning how to match. I would definitely use this book in a math lesson for younger grades.
Caroline
This is a good book to use for discussing patterns. It also comes with helpful questions and activity ideas in the back.
Karyn
Excellent for learning about attributes, sorting, and patterns. Similarities and differences.
Jake
very cute and simple!!! great for Kindergarteners who are learning about matching and sorting.
Edna
Perfect book for teaching children how to match patterns.
Julie Webb
Matching, patterns, and counting by twos
Maria
Good introduction to patterns for ages 4 & up.
Carole
Carole marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Megan
Megan added it
Jun 06, 2014
Kady Zoucha
Kady Zoucha marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
Nicole
Nicole added it
Apr 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
PICTURES & WORDS, STORIES & BOOKS
MathStart http://www.mathstart.net
I See I Learn http://www.iseeilearn.com

I was one of those kids who talked all the time in class. I loved telling stories. One day in the 4th Grade, my teacher said, “You tell such good stories, maybe you should try writing some of them down.” “Wow,” I thought. “She thinks my stories are good.” That’s when I started to real...more
More about Stuart J. Murphy...
Give Me Half! (MathStart Level 2) The Penny Pot Lemonade for Sale Divide and Ride Just Enough Carrots