Ways of Reading: An Anthology for Writers

Ways of Reading: An Anthology for Writers

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Ways of Reading continues to profoundly influence the teaching of writing by offering a uniquely exciting and challenging approach to first-year composition, integrating reading, writing, and critical thinking with an ambitious selection of readings and editorial features. With carefully honed apparatus that helps students work with the challenging selections, Ways of Read...more
Published December 28th 2004 by Bedford/St. Martin's (first published January 2002)

Joyce
This is a college level textbook that I found after moving and have no idea when or where I picked it up. The essays contained in it are wonderful; James Baldwin, Walter Benjamin, John Berger and Adrienne Rich are just a few of the contributors. It will take me some time to finish this because the essays require reading, re-reading, reading again and thinking through the arguments. The essays are not new or recently composed, some of you may be familiar with them already, but I had read only two...more
michelle nguyen
My college writing 1 class is using this book, and I have to say, the readings provided are quite challenging. These essays are not something you can easily skim over and say, "yay, I'm done." Many of these essays require you to go back and read it again for a second time to better understand the material and to catch what you didn't catch the first time you read it.
sologdin
best anthology to teach freshman composition. Likely that the freshmen think it's the worst, though. Selections are long and difficult, compared to other texts. Most of the selections are leftwing, though the average freshmen won't be able to identify the politics, even where, for instance, someone like Foucault cites Marx.
Dzah
I love this book. It doesn't pander to an audience but rather assumes they already have half a brain when they approach the text, that you're capable of forming your own opinion. Hence, it can then continue to guide through additional readings. Many an interesting discussion has arisen from this book.
StrangeBedfellows
Not an easy or enjoyable read, but then that is sort of the point. This text helps you to become a discriminating, active reader and, subsequently, how to apply that skill to your own writing. So, though I hated every second of assigned reading out of this, I appreciate the lessons imparted.
Ron Christiansen
A radical approach to teaching composition--at least in contrast to the prevailing views. Sometimes I miss teaching from it even though I understand the problems with the approach. Maybe, at some point, I will go back to it simply for the hell of it.
Jessica
I understand why we used this text in my writing class, but the essays we did read from this selection were not very interesting and I found it hard to fully engage with this text.
Jessica
I used this to supplement my assigned reading text--to make it more interesting. Nice book, would have been helpful had we moved more quickly through the basics.
Michael
Get ready for some deep thinking. These essays are a challenge, but most are worthy of the effort. You will never be without a response or thought of some kind.
Em
Jan 05, 2008 Em rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: teaching
definitely a college-level collection of texts, but highlights an excellent process used at CUNY for writing practice that grows out of critical reading.
Jessica
I thought this would be an interesting book for my beginning writing class, so I used it to supplement the class materials. Quite helpful.
Some Small Silence
The only book that Hopkins and ECC agreed on. This is probably the most interesting collection of essays I've ever seen.
Pamela
There are a lot of good essays in this anthology that. I can even talk to you about some of them.
Meghan
Marie
Marie added it
Apr 27, 2014
Priscilla Dias
Priscilla Dias marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Pete Conrad
Pete Conrad is currently reading it
Mar 23, 2014
Tw
Tw added it
Mar 10, 2014
Krisi
Krisi is currently reading it
Feb 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Reading the Content Online 1 12 Jan 27, 2010 04:48PM
Facts, Artifacts, and Counterfacts: Theory and Method for a Reading and Writing Course Writing on the Margins: Essays on Composition and Teaching Ways of Reading: An Anthology for Writers Ways of Reading: An Anthology for Writers Reading the Lives of Others: A Sequence for Writers