Start by marking “Blindsight (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blindsight (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #1)

Blindsight (Jack Stapleton and Laurie Montgomery #1)

3.74  ·  Rating Details ·  4,454 Ratings  ·  122 Reviews
Robin Cook is back--with a shocking story of medical conspiracy. Today, organ transplants are common miracles of science. But if the supply cannot meet the demand, how far will people go to find donors? Dr. Laurie Montgomery, a forensic pathologist, learns the terrifying answer when she investigates a series of fatal "overdose" of young professionals. Some crimes are beyon ...more
Published February 1st 1993 by Berkley Books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Blindsight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blindsight

Mansuriah Hassan
Jul 14, 2016 Mansuriah Hassan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the first medical thriller series of Jack Stapleton and Laurie Montgomery. However, Dr. Jack Stapleton is never mentioned in this book yet so this book centers around the young forensic pathologist, Dr. Laurie Montgomery who works in the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, New York. In this book, she begins to take notice of an unusual number of deaths of young professionals who seemed to be succumbing to an overdose of cocaine. But they are not known drug users. Because of the si ...more
Brett Tompkins
Apr 08, 2011 Brett Tompkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book new when it was on clearance and it has been sitting on my bookshelf for 18 years or so. I don't know why I put it off so long; I think I forgot how much I like Robin Cook's books. So, I finally decided to try and get some of the older books off the bookshelf, and started with this one. This book was fantastic! It combined a pathologist, opthamologist, police detective, and some organized crime thugs into a very interesting and page turning story.

I entered the military only a
Maulik Mistri
Aug 19, 2015 Maulik Mistri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It taste good for all mystery lovers . Mr robin must have idea about all the drugs and its effect ,you can conclude that from his imaginary lead star actress ,Mrs Laurie Montgomery,who was playing role of medical examiner ,spy and responsible citizen by putting her professional job in danger to accomplish her noble cause to aware citizen of Manhattan about murder series due to overdoze of drug called cocaine.She did her best ,even worked on sunday even after being fired ,to resolve the mysteries ...more
Jaspreet
Nov 16, 2009 Jaspreet rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book to fulfill the medical condition category of a reading challenge and wish that I had not wasted my time. One of the most frustrating things about this book for me was that it was recommended to me by a librarian. I visited the public library in my new home town for the first time and decided to ask for a recommendation. I was a little skeptical when I picked up the book, but I thought that I should be open minded. Turns out that it is possible to be so open minded that your brai ...more
Ricardo Mendes
Oct 10, 2012 Ricardo Mendes rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tenho

Depois de ter visto a mini-série baseada no livro Coma de Robin Cook e produzida pelos irmãos Scott, que desde já a visualização é expressamente obrigatória aos fãs de Cook, ficou claro como água que tinha de ler alguma obra deste autor.

Esta leitura foi iniciada com altas expectativas que não foram totalmente desfraldadas mas não conseguiu surpreender da forma esperada, talvez pelo enredo simples e quase previsível Cocaína não se impôs na minha lista de thrillers preferidos.

Contudo recomendo vi
Nicholas
Jan 28, 2015 Nicholas rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Another one that would be 3 on a 10-point scale. I don't understand how Cook is a best-selling author. I also don't believe he's ever actually heard people interact. The basic plot for this is okay, if predictable. However, the dialogue and characters are horrible. There are vast pages of fanfic out here on the net that are easily superior to this novel in terms of pacing, dialogue, and character. I think it's a distinct possibility that Cook is a misanthrope. Or he knows really crappy people an ...more
Selvakumar Subramanian
Read it a very long time ago. I remember the ending was a little clumsy. But I remember being terrified reading some portions of it alone in the night, alone in my room. That was then, but still it says something about the writing and the content.
Yatharth Bakshi
May 28, 2016 Yatharth Bakshi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robin Cook is a writer I both hate and love. Sorry to start a review so ironically thoug ;P. Anyways, I hate him for two reasons 1. He is a monotonous narrator.
2. He uses a lot of technical terms. Okay, to hell with that, his books are basically based on technical terms. But I loved this book as 1. This book was mysteriously monotonous. Which i loved. 2. The technical terms were bare minimum.
Okay, to begin with, I loved how he potrayed the love triangle and the emotions. This is the only book i
Saikat Mazumdar
Started Blindsight to get shifted from my tested genre of books and it proved to be quite good to start with. One of my friend acquainted me to Robin Cook whn I came to know there exist some genre called Medical thrillers and Doctors do write great books as well 9(and they sell as well).
The book starts off like any other crime thriller with two big shot murder cases of cocaine overdoses.
The best thing I like about this athor you tend to learn a lot of medical terms as you go through the pages.
Ajitabh Pandey

This book is a little slow in progression and the author has successfully maintained the mystery for around 75% of the book. The plot is not unique, but the involvement of Mafia and drugs in this plot is done in a very good way. We could see a similar plot in one of the other books by Robin Cook – Coma, albeit in a different way. It looks like people can go to any length for meeting the demand and supply curve in the organ transplant ‘bu
Pascale
True rating would be somewhere closer to 3.5. I did enjoy the novel, there are just some aspects that I didn't like, such as Laurie being totally ignorant that Jordan is an arrogant ass, how long it took everyone to figure out what was going on when it seemed blatantly obvious, and I just felt overall that Mr. Cook didn't have the writting of female protagonist down, there were moments when I felt like her voice was too "masculine" and there were times when I thought Mr. Cook overcompensated and ...more
Andreia Silva
Jul 29, 2014 Andreia Silva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leituras-de-2014
Drª Laurie Montgomery é uma médica patologista de Nova Iorque que se depara com casos excessivos de mortes por overdose de cocaína. Com a ajuda do detetive Lou Soldano entra numa rede de ligações obscuras, de gente perigosa e de mistérios à parte da justiça.

Normalmente, livros policiais com gangsters e máfias à mistura não fazem muito o meu género, mas este tem o diferencial de ter pelo meio a medicina e a atuação da cocaína no organismo o que tornou a leitura muito mais agradável para mim (ness
Umut
Nov 03, 2015 Umut rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Ülkemizde 1992 yılında basılmış. Soluksuz bir macera olmasının yanı sıra yazarı takip edenlerin yakından tanıyacağı Laure Montgomery ve dedektif Lou Saltano ile bu kitapta tanışıyoruz. Daha da ilginci, Robin Cook bu kitabı ile yıllar boyu maceralarını anlatacağı ana karakterler ile birlikte yine yıllarca kullanmak üzere yan karakterleri de hazırlamaya başlamış. Bu kitap ile göreceğimiz cezaevine giren, çıkan, ölen, yaralanan mafya babaları, çete üyeleri, b
Karthik R
The book started off well but turned out to be quite predictable in the end and moreover the quarrels between the lead characters were so repetitive and juvenile that it became irritating towards the end!
Tiffany Tinkham-Graves
Laurie Montgomery, ME, gets a mysterious homicide case. It's a puzzling one and she begins to get interested more and more. More innocent victims show up in the morgue and they are all connected. As the bodies start showing up in the morgue, the case gets hotter and Laurie gets hot on the trail. With the help of her friend, Det. Lou Solando, she has to solve the murders and learn who is behind the hits of these people.

A good page turner medical and crime mystery that I couldn't stop reading. Thi
Carol Waters
This set of medical people don't have federal confidentiality standards? And cocaine makes you want to crawl into a refrigerator to cool off? Hmm, after 30 years as an addictions counselor that's a new one on me. Oh, and it took the forensic specialist 300 pages to learn a (spoiler) clue that she should have gotten by the second dead body...... Too much formula, not enough suspense. Every stereotype in the book in this book.

The most interesting thing about this book is that there are at least t
Elizabeth
Pretty good. This is definitely for fans of medical thrillers and mysteries. This story chronicles the detective work of Laurie, a medical examiner in New York, as she struggles to figure out the reasons behind the growing number of overdose cases with the same profile. Yet no one believes her that something is wrong: her boss tells her to shut up and look the other way as he tries to cover up the OD symptoms for public appearance reasons; her police ally refuses to care about spoiled rich young ...more
Thomas Hart
Oct 12, 2009 Thomas Hart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i really enjoyed this book. it is the only robin cook book i have read as of right now. is this is similar to his others writings, i'll be sure to read more of his work in the future.
this book gave me an insight to the mafia that i didn't have prior to reading it.
i thought it was brilliant the way everything was tied together throughout the entire book. the only thing that threw me off was all the medical jargon and terms that i didn't understand. it wasn't really all that big of deal, but ther
Lauren
A unique mix of romance, corpses, limousines, and mafia. Blindsight by Robin Cook. The main character Dr. Laurie Montgomery is a forensic pathologist fairly new to New York’s medical examiner’s office. Nevertheless she has become quite familiar with drug overdoses during her stint. However, when three victims of drug overdoses come through the medical examiner’s office in a matter of days, a red flag is raised because these aren’t the typical victims of overdoses, but rather wealthy and successf ...more
Merche
May 15, 2015 Merche rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tras leer tres novelas de Robin Cook, parece ser que la resolución del caso es obvia cuándo llevas leído medio libro, aproximadamente. No obstante, su forma de escribir, el planteamiento que hace de la historia y la simpatía que les coges a sus personajes - aunque siempre hay algún personaje masculino que me cae fatal - te hace querer leer toda su bibliografía.
Pramod Ks
Finally done. It took me a while since I'm not having much free time nowadays. Even with available free time, I could not quite get myself to come back and finish. The story is too draggy and is stretched forever. The protagonist is so fond of falling into trouble, the ever unhelpful boss, the incessant deaths make this a very boring book. It is more a crime thriller than medical. Good ending but the means to reach that ending will take forever.
Les
May 20, 2014 Les rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was about Dr. Laurie Montgomery, an ME of the city of New York. She finds that a lot of people are dying from overdoses of cocain. She doesn't know why so many are dying because of this because they were not drug uses. She knows about organ transplants and the supply is small because of the demand. She is shock as to what people will do. It is a good mystery.
Víctor
Una novela negra con un enfoque forense que resulta inusual y entretenido, pero no mucho más. La complejidad del argumento no merece más de un 5 sobre 10, pues aunque resulta refrescante, su simpleza permite prever el desenlace desde antes de la mitad del libro. Por ello resultaría demasiado extensa si no fuera por las escenas de acción típicas de la mafia neoyorquina que aderezan una investigación lenta y oscilante llevada a cabo por unos personajes principales sosos y estereotipados.

La lectura
Anke
Nov 22, 2014 Anke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Het eerste deel van deze serie. Jack komt nog niet in het verhaal voor, maar Laurie is een sympathieke hoofdpersoon. Het boek is zo’n twintig jaar geleden geschreven, dat merk je aan sommige dingen (roken in de wachtkamer van het ziekenhuis), maar het verhaal is nog steeds goed.
Gelijk verder in deel 2…
Abhi
Oct 05, 2014 Abhi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The reason why you (maybe I) pick books off such shelves is to get that feeling of being in a rush, being caught in an anxiety-gripped stampede of emotions. This book didn't get to it until the last 100 pages, by when it was too late, and too predictable, and hence not too potent.

I will give the rest of the series a pause, if not a pass; will continue if, maybe, I live past 70, bound by incapacity to a chair by a window in a foster home. Maybe it is a pass.
Rohit Jaini
May 24, 2012 Rohit Jaini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A medical masterpiece from Mr. Cook. One of the best thrillers read in the recent times. The author has cleverly taken two far from being related tales and juxtaposed them just the perfect way! A drug overdose trail and gangland style assassinations clogging the Medical examiner's office with either protagonist having their theories on one each. It's only at the end do we see how these two incomparable string of murders are so implausibly connected. For this the author should be grandly applaud ...more
Varad Bandishti
While the plot of the book itself is good, I don't get the idea behind author being overly descriptive in many places. I've read a few books of Robin Cook and I must say that this book was poorly constructed.
David Schlack
I had forgotten how well Robin Cook writes medical mysteries. Blindsight gets a 4 rating from me. Paul Cerino needed cornea transplant surgery. How did he keep himself first in line for surgery and corneas?? SEE how Laurie Montgomery & Lou Soldano discover the unbelievable truth in Blindsight. Enjoy!
Karen Kovac
Was interesting , good overlapping of plots...but seemed to be wordy and it dragged in parts and I wanted to say..."okay I get it , these are the bad guys, I don't need 20 examples"
Karen
Sep 03, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
My first Robin Cook (I think) but the first in the Laurie Montgomery series.
A newly minted pathologist in NYC notices a connection between unusual overdose victims and ends up losing her job over it only to be ... well if I told you that it would be a spoiler!
  • Extreme Measures
  • Critical Condition (Dr. Richard Steele, #2)
  • Donor (Dr Steven Dunbar #1)
  • The Eleventh Plague
  • Pandemic
19697
Librarian Note: Not to be confused with British novelist Robin Cook a pseudonym of Robert William Arthur Cook.

Dr. Robin Cook (born May 4, 1940 in New York City, New York) is an American doctor / novelist who writes about medicine and topics affecting public health.

He is best known for being the author who combined medical writing with the thriller genre of writing. Several of his books have been b
More about Robin Cook...

Jack Stapleton and Laurie Montgomery (10 books)
  • Contagion (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #2)
  • Chromosome 6 (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #3)
  • Vector (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery #4)
  • Marker (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #5)
  • Crisis (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #6)
  • Critical (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #7)
  • Foreign Body (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #8)
  • Intervention (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #9)
  • Cure (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #10)