Writer's Digest Handbook of Magazine Article Writing

Writer's Digest Handbook of Magazine Article Writing

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  13 reviews
THE Guide to Writing and Selling Magazine Articles!This comprehensive, practical, how-to guide answers all of your questions about writing for magazines. In this all-new second edition of a best-selling classic, today's most successful freelance writers, including Robert Bly, Linda Formichelli, Kelly James-Enger, Jenna Glatzer, and others, provide up-to-date information on...more
Paperback
Published December 26th 2004 by Writer's Digest Books (first published December 1st 2004)

Rasmus
Jun 21, 2008 Rasmus rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who have no clue.
I plan on posting a longer review of this book over at rasmusrasmussen.com. Here is the gist:

If you have absolutely zero experience with working freelance, with professional writing of any kind and you haven't been following any blogs on the topic, googled it or anything like that, you might be able to learn a lot from reading this. For the rest of us, it's a whole lot of fluff, repetition and boredom.
Tamara
Jan 23, 2011 Tamara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone in the writing field
Lots of good information for the begining freelancer. Takes you all the way from queries, formats, article styles to legal inforamtion such as contracts, rights and payments. It is a pretty quick read and entertaining as well. Not boring and drug out. I recommend this book for not only freelancers, but anyone in the writing field.
JoAnn
Very comprehensive, imformative,and practical, especially for the beginner. Read this before you start writing, if you are seriously thinking of freelancing as a new career path. However, since technology is constantly changing, and the economy is in a recession, it is best to keep updated on the market.
Dana
Apr 16, 2009 Dana added it
Here is the book teaching me how to write queries to magazines listing the articles I would like to write for them, and then chapters on how to deal with the massive amounts of rejection writers get before they finally crack into the market. Why am I doing this again?
Fredrick Danysh
Advice on writing for magazines. Gives tips on topics ranging choosing a subject, to selling the article. It includes advice on conducting interviews and documentation.
Kristen
This is a good reference book to use when you want to break into freelance writing for magazine. It's pretty handy for ideas.
Jennifer Grayeb
This was a great resource for learning more about what it takes to write and publish magazine articles!
Jane
Reading this book got me thinking about writing ideas. Perhaps I should try my hand at this.
LeAnne
Magazines aren't my think, but this is well organized and complete.
Viktoria
lot s of good advice, some are a little outdated though.
Gregory Frye
Very helpful for anyone interested in freelancing!
Premiumgreen Vinnola
Oct 16, 2008 Premiumgreen Vinnola rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Very thorough and complete.
Seanna
Seanna marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Anna
Anna added it
Jul 09, 2014
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
B.j. Young
B.j. Young marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Vera
Vera marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Mechelle Renfroe
Mechelle Renfroe marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Damola
Damola marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014