Start by marking “Writer's Digest Handbook of Magazine Article Writing” as Want to Read:
Writer's Digest Handbook of Magazine Article Writing

Writer's Digest Handbook of Magazine Article Writing

THE Guide to Writing and Selling Magazine Articles!

This comprehensive, practical, how-to guide answers all of your questions about writing for magazines. In this all-new second edition of a best-selling classic, today's most successful freelance writers, including Robert Bly, Linda Formichelli, Kelly James-Enger, Jenna Glatzer, and others, provide up-to-date information on
Paperback
Published December 26th 2004 by Writer's Digest Books (first published December 1st 2004)

Be the first to ask a question about Writer's Digest Handbook of Magazine Article Writing

Rasmus
Apr 14, 2008 Rasmus rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: People who have no clue.
I plan on posting a longer review of this book over at rasmusrasmussen.com. Here is the gist:

If you have absolutely zero experience with working freelance, with professional writing of any kind and you haven't been following any blogs on the topic, googled it or anything like that, you might be able to learn a lot from reading this. For the rest of us, it's a whole lot of fluff, repetition and boredom.
JoAnn
Jul 13, 2009 JoAnn rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
Very comprehensive, imformative,and practical, especially for the beginner. Read this before you start writing, if you are seriously thinking of freelancing as a new career path. However, since technology is constantly changing, and the economy is in a recession, it is best to keep updated on the market.
Tamara
Jan 23, 2011 Tamara rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone in the writing field
Lots of good information for the begining freelancer. Takes you all the way from queries, formats, article styles to legal inforamtion such as contracts, rights and payments. It is a pretty quick read and entertaining as well. Not boring and drug out. I recommend this book for not only freelancers, but anyone in the writing field.
Dana
Mar 18, 2009 Dana added it
Here is the book teaching me how to write queries to magazines listing the articles I would like to write for them, and then chapters on how to deal with the massive amounts of rejection writers get before they finally crack into the market. Why am I doing this again?
Kay Mcgriff
Aug 04, 2014 Kay Mcgriff rated it really liked it
My crash course in freelance writing is starting to pay off. This presents much information on getting ideas, querying magazines, conducting interviews & research, writing the article, and considering the business side of writing.
Kristen
This is a good reference book to use when you want to break into freelance writing for magazine. It's pretty handy for ideas.
Alan Livingston
I think I got more out of this book through this re-read than from my first read a few years ago. Good reference on the subject that I'll keep at my fingertips in case I try some periodical writing.
Jonathan Crowe
Jul 22, 2011 Jonathan Crowe rated it it was ok
Meh.
Fredrick Danysh
Oct 04, 2013 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
Shelves: writing
Advice on writing for magazines. Gives tips on topics ranging choosing a subject, to selling the article. It includes advice on conducting interviews and documentation.
Jennifer Grayeb
Jan 13, 2011 Jennifer Grayeb rated it liked it
Shelves: school, 2011
This was a great resource for learning more about what it takes to write and publish magazine articles!
LeAnne
Aug 29, 2010 LeAnne rated it liked it
Shelves: writing
Magazines aren't my think, but this is well organized and complete.
Gregory Frye
Nov 24, 2011 Gregory Frye rated it liked it
Very helpful for anyone interested in freelancing!
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2012
Todd Carter
Todd Carter rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2012
Salynda Hogsett
Salynda Hogsett rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2017
Viktoria
Mar 06, 2012 Viktoria rated it really liked it
lot s of good advice, some are a little outdated though.
A.L.
A.L. rated it really liked it
May 07, 2016
Amanda Cheairs
Amanda Cheairs rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2014
Jordan
Jordan rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2011
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2009
Christine Rice
Christine Rice rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2014
Jan Canyon
Jan Canyon rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2016
Shevonne
Shevonne rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2011
Sarah Miller
Sarah Miller rated it liked it
May 01, 2009
Katherine
Katherine rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2017
Synova Cantrell
Synova Cantrell rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2017
Stealth Journals
Stealth Journals rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2017
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2010
Jashana Copeman
Jashana Copeman rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2011
Kellie
Kellie rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Well-Fed Writer: Financial Self-Sufficiency as a Freelance Writer in Six Months or Less
  • Secrets of a Freelance Writer: How to Make $100,000 a Year or More
  • The Renegade Writer: A Totally Unconventional Guide to Freelance Writing Success
  • The Articulate Executive: Learn to Look, ACT, and Sound Like a Leader
  • 101 Habits of Highly Successful Novelists: Insider Secrets from Top Writers
  • A Writer's Coach: An Editor's Guide to Words That Work
  • The Writer's Digest Guide to Science Fiction & Fantasy
  • The Art of Styling Sentences
  • The Little Red Writing Book: 20 Powerful Principles of Structure, Style, and Readability
  • The Tao Of Writing: Imagine. Create. Flow.