Start by marking “A Writer's Reference” as Want to Read:
A Writer's Reference

A Writer's Reference

"This text gives you quick, practical advice in language you can understand and in a format that's easy to use. It is a tool you can hang on to--one that will continue to help answer questions about writing, research and grammar any time day or night."
Plastic Comb, 512 pages
Published November 23rd 2006 by Bedford/St. Martin's (first published 1989)

Doug
Apr 03, 2014 Doug rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who Writes
Shelves: textbooks
This is hands down the best reference I've ever used! It covers everything a writer needs in an easy to find, tabbed system. The copy I have is a Used Rental from the campus bookstore, but I'm hoping I can afford to keep it once the semester is ended. If I can't afford it right away, I am definitely buying a new one as soon as I have the money! This text is a Must-Have!
Gabrielle
Jul 05, 2012 Gabrielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, reference
Without Hacker, I wouldn't have made it through college!
Marcy Winograd
Sep 01, 2012 Marcy Winograd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the English teacher's bible. Thank you, Diana!
Patrick Rooney
Dec 29, 2016 Patrick Rooney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great writer's resource.
Jeanne Gehret
Dec 28, 2016 Jeanne Gehret rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My go-to reference on writing. Good organization and covers the topics I need.
Nicole Pramik
True to its title, this textbook should serve as a reference guide or supplemental text in the college composition classroom rather than be the primary go-to text. I say this because it deals chiefly with grammar and writing mechanics and little on actual composition-related concepts such as style and genre.

Much like The Everyday Writer, which I also reviewed, this text is basic in its delivery and approach. That's not instantly a negative because it depends what you wish to use this resource f
Geoffrey
Jun 17, 2012 Geoffrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wished I had acquired this book sooner than now. This is a very handy reference book to use when writing papers and doing college work. My one peeve is that the author more often uses examples that favor a certain political or philosophical bias. I also wonder why the author placed the more advanced grammatical subjects before the basics. Still, this is will be my "go to" book while I write my academic papers.

NOTE: While this is a reference book, I read it from cover to cover first. How else w
Jeffrey
Jun 24, 2008 Jeffrey rated it really liked it
These reference books are all pretty much the same. I've seen dozens (publishers always send professors text books in hopes they'll adopt them for their classes) and they're all pretty much the same. Major points of difference are completness and ease of use. This is a good one for that. Besides, Hacker is a classic.
Randy Tramp
Feb 11, 2015 Randy Tramp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great tool for writers. I found it very useful. I went through the entire book and ear marked some places for use at a later date. This is a reference book I'll use a lot. The book is in sections which make it very useful.
Jeffrey
Jun 24, 2008 Jeffrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like I said, they're all pretty much the same. But, once again, if you don't know most of this stuff . . . do. Especailly if you're a writer. But even readers can increase their comprehension, vocabulary / diction, etc. Good standard stuff to have lying around the house. Get it.
Anna
Oct 12, 2014 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looks like I picked this up at UC for $20 and used it quite a bit, for work probably. Very handy layout with tabs.
Jonathan
This book is an English major's best friend. On every paper that I have done I have had to consult this book at some point or another. It is a permanent fixture on my bookshelf.
John Wick
Apr 09, 2007 John Wick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing, reference
A very excellent reference book for anyone who wants to know how to write using formal styles correctly. APA, Chicago, MLA, CMS, etc. This is my little writers bible for school.
Jim
Nov 13, 2008 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2non-fiction, 1paper
Not as good as Strunk & White's book, but a good reference, anyway. More up to date on some stuff that I rarely use, like business headers & such.
Kay Sterner
Jul 25, 2008 Kay Sterner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've had this book since college, even took it with me when I studied abroad for two years, and I still find a constant use for it.
Charmless
Aug 04, 2008 Charmless rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who reads and writes in English.
Recommended to Charmless by: A professor from college
This has been my grammar bible since college. (Well, the one I had in college, in the early to mid '90s, was a much older edition.) Hacker's product is a very user-friendly reference book.
Fatima Mahdi
Sep 15, 2013 Fatima Mahdi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is helpful to whoever has something to write about from academic essays to personal essays.
jacky
Nov 26, 2007 jacky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a second handbook that I was required to get a different year of college. I use this when I need a source different from Little, Brown.
Wednesday Green
Not terrible as reference guides go, more helpful information on writing and organization than most. I remember the old New Style manual we used to use that was crap. This blows that book away.
Heather
Great information on writing and research standards. I gave it a '3' solely because I feel it would be better as an ebook, PDF or online resource to allow for quick & easy searching.
Sara
Jul 10, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very comprehensive look at grammar, mechanics, usage, and style. The corresponding textbook website exercises were very helpful to drive home the material.
Ju$tin
Ju$tin rated it liked it
Feb 29, 2012
Brandy M Miller
Brandy M Miller rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2014
Emily Butler
Emily Butler rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2014
KateTheCurate
KateTheCurate rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2016
Aref
Aref rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2013
Victoria
Victoria rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2010
BEATRIZ
BEATRIZ rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2015
Bernee E.
Bernee E. rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2012
Atlegang Mashilo
Atlegang Mashilo rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2014
  • The St. Martin's Guide to Writing
  • The American Heritage Dictionary
  • Everyday Life in the 1800s: A Guide for Writers, Students & Historians
  • Writer's Inc
  • The New Well Tempered Sentence: A Punctuation Handbook for the Innocent, the Eager, and the Doomed
  • 501 Spanish Verbs: Fully Conjugated in All the Tenses in a New Easy-To-Learn Format Alphabetically Arranged
  • The Little, Brown Handbook, APA Update [with CD]