Start by marking “A Writer's Reference” as Want to Read:
A Writer's Reference

A Writer's Reference

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  692 ratings  ·  29 reviews

A Writer’s Reference is the most widely adopted college handbook ever published. The new edition is available in a classic version that provides more help with academic writing, serves a wider range of multilingual students, and lends more support for college research — all in an easy-to-use quick-reference format. Now for all the ways you teach your course, you can cho
Plastic Comb, 512 pages
Published November 23rd 2006 by Bedford/St. Martin's (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about A Writer's Reference, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Writer's Reference

Doug
Jan 25, 2015 Doug rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who Writes
Shelves: college-texts
This is hands down the best reference I've ever used! It covers everything a writer needs in an easy to find, tabbed system. The copy I have is a Used Rental from the campus bookstore, but I'm hoping I can afford to keep it once the semester is ended. If I can't afford it right away, I am definitely buying a new one as soon as I have the money! This text is a Must-Have!
Marcy Winograd
This is the English teacher's bible. Thank you, Diana!
Gabrielle
Without Hacker, I wouldn't have made it through college!
Nicole Pramik
True to its title, this textbook should serve as a reference guide or supplemental text in the college composition classroom rather than be the primary go-to text. I say this because it deals chiefly with grammar and writing mechanics and little on actual composition-related concepts such as style and genre.

Much like The Everyday Writer, which I also reviewed, this text is basic in its delivery and approach. That's not instantly a negative because it depends what you wish to use this resource f
Randy Tramp
This is a great tool for writers. I found it very useful. I went through the entire book and ear marked some places for use at a later date. This is a reference book I'll use a lot. The book is in sections which make it very useful.
Anna
Looks like I picked this up at UC for $20 and used it quite a bit, for work probably. Very handy layout with tabs.
K. Farrell Germain
Learning is never truly done. This is a great reference to creative writers.
Jeffrey
These reference books are all pretty much the same. I've seen dozens (publishers always send professors text books in hopes they'll adopt them for their classes) and they're all pretty much the same. Major points of difference are completness and ease of use. This is a good one for that. Besides, Hacker is a classic.
Jeffrey
Like I said, they're all pretty much the same. But, once again, if you don't know most of this stuff . . . do. Especailly if you're a writer. But even readers can increase their comprehension, vocabulary / diction, etc. Good standard stuff to have lying around the house. Get it.
James Stripes
Solid and informative. My choice to recommend to students.
Heather
I've had Ms. Hacker's book for over 10 years (an earlier edition) and I absolutely love it! Well organized and extremely helpful...it has saved my rear on countless occasions. It occupies a prominent spot in my book shelves.
Charmless
Aug 04, 2008 Charmless rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who reads and writes in English.
Recommended to Charmless by: A professor from college
This has been my grammar bible since college. (Well, the one I had in college, in the early to mid '90s, was a much older edition.) Hacker's product is a very user-friendly reference book.
Wednesday Green
Not terrible as reference guides go, more helpful information on writing and organization than most. I remember the old New Style manual we used to use that was crap. This blows that book away.
Heather
Great information on writing and research standards. I gave it a '3' solely because I feel it would be better as an ebook, PDF or online resource to allow for quick & easy searching.
Jonathan
This book is an English major's best friend. On every paper that I have done I have had to consult this book at some point or another. It is a permanent fixture on my bookshelf.
John Wick
A very excellent reference book for anyone who wants to know how to write using formal styles correctly. APA, Chicago, MLA, CMS, etc. This is my little writers bible for school.
Sara
Very comprehensive look at grammar, mechanics, usage, and style. The corresponding textbook website exercises were very helpful to drive home the material.
Jim
Not as good as Strunk & White's book, but a good reference, anyway. More up to date on some stuff that I rarely use, like business headers & such.
jacky
This is a second handbook that I was required to get a different year of college. I use this when I need a source different from Little, Brown.
Kay Sterner
I've had this book since college, even took it with me when I studied abroad for two years, and I still find a constant use for it.
Fatima Mahdi
This book is helpful to whoever has something to write about from academic essays to personal essays.
Jessica
Hacker writes a strong writer's reference here. This was my preferred text while teaching.
James
There's a reason this is required for students coming into University.
Letitia
Fabulous. Clear, concise, easiest way to do MLA I've ever found.
Kristina
Still my favorite writing manual. Love the latest update.
Claudette
Claudette marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
  • The Little, Brown Compact Handbook
  • MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers
  • The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language
  • A Dictionary of Modern English Usage
  • Roget International Thesaurus
  • Line by Line: How to Edit Your Own Writing
  • 501 Spanish Verbs: Fully Conjugated in All the Tenses in a New Easy-To-Learn Format Alphabetically Arranged
  • What If?: Writing Exercises for Fiction Writers
  • Writer's Inc
  • The Chicago Manual of Style
  • A Glossary of Literary Terms
  • The New Well Tempered Sentence: A Punctuation Handbook for the Innocent, the Eager, and the Doomed
  • A Dash of Style: The Art and Mastery of Punctuation
  • Associated Press Stylebook And Libel Manual
  • The Copyeditor's Handbook: A Guide for Book Publishing and Corporate Communications, with Exercises and Answer Keys
  • Writing with Power: Techniques for Mastering the Writing Process
  • Simon & Shuster Handbook for Writers
  • The American Heritage Dictionary
Rules for Writers A Pocket Style Manual The Bedford Handbook APA Version of a Pocket Style Manual A Writer's Reference with Writing about Literature