Shrouded in Silence

Shrouded in Silence

2.9 of 5 stars 2.90  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Determined to find an answer, Jack and Michelle Townsend set out on a quest to find the original ending to the Gospel of Mark. Following ancient clues, they head for Rome, but what starts out as a scholarly search turns violent as two separate groups strive to stop the Townsends, plunging their quiet research into chaos. After a bomb destroys their office, the Townsends ar...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Abingdon Press (first published September 1st 2010)

Robin
Very unrealistic dialogue and characters. In this genre, I'm usually willing to overlook a little bit of that for the sake of a good story but this one was so bad, I could not get into and abandoned it after only 15%.

Thankfully it was a Kindle freebie so I didn't waste any money on it.
Mary Chrapliwy
Years ago I made one foray into the "Christian Fiction" genre that had a prayer on every other page, completely squashing the plot under religious preaching. That was a couple years ago and I have avoided anything labelled as "Christian Fiction" for that reason. The plot of this book sounded interesting so I took another chance with the genre. Though this book is labelled as "Christian Fiction," it doesn't ram religion down your throat, doesn't preach, and is far more plot driven.

The Townsends a...more
C.C. Thomas
Jack Townsend, with his wife Michelle, are on the track of the true ending to the ‘lost Gospel of Mark’. When their research stirs up some anti-American sentiment, they are surprised. When a story of them in the newspaper stirs up threats, they are alarmed. When their office is bombed, they know they’re on the right track!

Normally, this is the kind of book I absolutely love. I adore historical mysteries and anything with a biblical mystery is usually just icing on my book cupcake.

And, I was inte...more
Kate Bowyer
The story line was the best part of the book. Terrorists, the Vatican, biblical scholars looking for a lost piece of the bible, murder, the CIA and all set in Rome and Germany. But beyond that I was really let down.

Though the story line was the best part, it was very predictable by the end. One of the worst things about the book was the dialog. It was very rough and hard to read. It almost seemed like English was the authors second or maybe third language. If that's the case then they did a fine...more
Annie

Sometimes I want a book that doesn't make you think -- just a good story to get lost in. I thought this had all the trappings that make a good action packed adventure -- Vatican, ancient manuscripts, terrorists -- alas, I was let down on all levels. It was sort of my own fault -- freebie on Kindle and I didn't know it was Christian Fiction.

Jack and Michelle Townsend are biblical scholars searching for the details of the ending of the Gospel of Mark. They are in Rome, working in the Vatican libra...more
Anne
Another disappointing Christian suspense story--often boring, little cloak-and-dagger, meager character development. I had the so-called "suspense"--the one character that you're sure you can trust who turns out to be the dirtiest character--figured out as soon as he was introduced.

Again, writing that is very bland, an overuse of colorful words (how many times do you need to read "draconian" in one story?). And again, the lack of depth of the characters really left me unconcerned over both Jack...more
Heidi Burleigh
Wise has crafted a well written novel involving the scholarship centered on the verification and preservation of biblical manuscripts. Through character dialogue, one learns much about the topics. Reading this novel is a painless way to learn some important aspects of Christian history. Even if one is not interested in the history aspect, this is an exciting novel about contemporary scholarship and the lengths some are willing to go to make a name for themselves in the academic world.

Advanced re...more
Leah
I know this is suppose to be christian fiction, but this guy wrote too much about the written history of Mark. I thought it was going to be about the time the Book of Mark was written, but no. It was about 2008 and historians hunting down the missing piece of Mark. Just not fun for me. Not my type of literature. It is more for someone who likes a bunch of different characters and likes hearing different theories being tested. I just don't care and it wasn't worth my time.
Abingdon Fiction
"This is a story of well-hidden biblical secrets that have endured throughout the ages and of a couple's devotion to finding the truth. It's a story fraught with death, danger, and deception--of never knowing who to trust, and with a twist of an ending I didn't see coming. Great read!" --Sharon Sala, author of The Searcher's Trilogy: Blood Stains, Blood Ties, Blood Trails

Sherry Ledet
Amazingly poor character building. I'm a little supprised it was ever published, but probably for the same reason I finished this book, the plot was intresting and I wanted to know what happened. However, the characters in this story would never do or say the things that Robert Wise's characters do and say. Sorry, can't recommend this book.
Homer16
Very unrealistic dialogue and characters. The dialogue was so bad it felt like English isn't Mr. Wise's main language and that really detracted from the potential of this book. The storyline (although very predictable througout) had the potential of being a good book.
Fortunately this was a Nook freebie so I didn't waste any money on it.
Jennifer Erwin
Got this as a freebie download, and the blurb made it sound like the Da Vinci Code. So not the case. Too many different "bad guys" for my taste, and the characters just seemed contrived. I made it to 68% but that was after putting it down several times and reading a different book. I just wasn't able to really get into this book.
Leslie
Very similar to Dan Brown's books, this book was good for being free but was not as well written as it could have been. About a husband and wife looking for missing pieces of the Bible, they run into terrorists and psychos. Good read if you have nothing else to read and you can get it free.
Brittany
This was an ok read. It was another free kindle book, and as is the norm for those, there were several typos that I noticed which means there were most likely others. The plot was fairly predictable and the characters didn't have a lot of depth.
Kim Hill
OK book. There are several spelling & grammatical errors which is annoying & makes me think this is a very amateur work. Thanks Carla for lending it to me!
Knitkicky
This is a slow read so far...I'm about 20% through it. The characterization/dialog is very wooden. Sounds like I should just drop it, huh?
Margaret
This is no Da Vinci Code.... I had to push myself to finish it, employing a little speed reading / skipping sections along the way...
Faye
Interesting story line, but the writing was a bit odd, almost as though the book was written in another language and translated oddly.
Jordan
We'll see how this one unfolds... I'm intrigued with it so far. Not the best writing, but I'm enjoying the story.
Danielle
This was good. Sometimes the action dragged. There were loose ends. It was an enjoyable read.
Glen
An interesting story, but as others have mentioned the dialogue was quite awkward and unnatural.
Mike Leach
I could not get past page 52 before I stopped reading this book. Not written very well.
E.J.
1 star! Not because it was christian book, because it was just purely BORING!
Veronica Lindsey
good who-done-it with religion and religious artifacts thrown in.
Melissa
Poor proofreading to the point of distraction.
Mary
I really liked this book!
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
  • Lie Down in Green Pastures (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #3)
  • Eye of the God
  • Griselda Takes Flight (Bright's Pond #3)
  • The Call of Zulina (Grace in Africa, #1)
  • The Dead Saint
  • Reinventing Leona
  • Disaster Status (Mercy Hospital, #2)
  • Through the Fire
  • Thicker Than Blood
  • It Happens Every Spring (Four Seasons)
  • The Brotherhood (Precinct 11, #1)
  • Walking on Broken Glass
  • Delivery
  • Two Wars: One Hero's Fight on Two Fronts--Abroad and Within
  • Delivered with Love
  • When the Devil Whistles
  • The Heart of Memory
  • Elisha's Bones
Be Not Afraid: A Novel The Narrow Door at Colditz The Bitter Road to Dachau Crossing the Threshold of Eternity: What the Dying Can Teach the Living The Empty Coffin: A Sam and Vera Sloan Mystery