Start by marking “Right Before Your Eyes” as Want to Read:
Right Before Your Eyes

Right Before Your Eyes

Outspoken playwright Liza Weiler left Yale with everything she thought she needed to make her mark on the New York stage. So why, nearly a decade later, is she still waiting for her “real” life to finally begin? But like any great drama, Liza’s life only needs one good twist. And that’s what happens when she turns her ankle on the way out of a downtown nightspot and falls ...more
Published May 1st 2007 by Delta (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Right Before Your Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Right Before Your Eyes

Beth
Jun 23, 2008 Beth rated it really liked it
Jacqueline
Jan 20, 2009 Jacqueline rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Asia
I thoroughly enjoyed the entire novel. Not only was it hilarious (I laughed out loud a lot), but it also felt pretty real and, at times, touching even. Liza is a refreshing character - intelligent, witty and flawed. Thankfully, unlike most female protagonists of late, her insecurities did not revolve around her body image and general lack of self-esteem.
Lobo
Apr 03, 2015 Lobo rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Persze mint minden romantikus komédiában, itt is már az elejétől világos, hogy kik vannak igazán egymáshoz rendelve, de akárcsak az Everything niceban, a főhősnek fel kell rázódnia, rádöbbennie saját hiányosságaira ahhoz, hogy megértse és kiérdemelje a boldogságot. Ellen Shanman itt is jó szereplőket és teljesen hihető konfliktusokat választott ahhoz, hogy egy hagyományos romantikus sémára ráhúzva ne tűnjön erőltetettnek és sokszor olvasottnak az egész. Na meg itt is van pár mellékszereplő, akik ...more
Lissa
Sep 23, 2013 Lissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: fresh-fiction
Reviewed by Lissa Staley
Posted April 6, 2007

Romance Chick-Lit | Contemporary Chick Lit

Struggling playwright Liza Weiler thought that after 10 years of trying, she'd find her place in New York City. She loses her temp job at a convent after she tells off Sister Lorraine. Her perpetual graduate student roommate Jeremy needs her share of the rent, and while she knows her plays are very good, they aren't paying the bills. Liza is disappointed that her Aunt Fran, a successful actress, still hasn't
Gretzky B
Jul 04, 2007 Gretzky B rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: light summer reading seekers...
Okay, so this is chick lit, but it's really good chick lit!!!

Summer's here and the sun makes me lazy, so in between reading chapters of the Little Friend, which is quite serious, I'm reading some chick lit books...and this is a great debut novel from an author to watch...

Her protaganist, Liza, is funny, and real. She does not have a trust fund or a fabulous job. And if you like stories where the two people who eventually end up in love are not initial fans of each other - think Hepburn and Gra
erica
Aug 14, 2014 erica rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
entertaining chicklit type tale...funny realistic characters. a good beach read, i didn't want to put it down! :-)
Sep 27, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
I'm glad I read Everything Nice before I read Right Before Your Eyes. While this book had some moments that made me laugh out loud and I really liked George, I think the excellent character development in Everything Nice was missing in her first book.

Right Before Your Eyes was cute, but great. I hope she continues to improve like in Everything Nice.
Jacqueline
Apr 13, 2012 Jacqueline rated it liked it
Not a bad read; a typical chick lit fun romance. Sometimes the main character was kind of abrasive and harsh, though. Even though she was just being defensive so as not to get hurt and that was a part of her personality, it made her a bit hard to like at times. Otherwise the book was funny, entertaining and served its purpose.
Emily
Apr 25, 2011 Emily rated it liked it
Started off really strong, but sort of fizzled for me in the middle. There were some really great laugh out loud moments, but in the end, it didn't click as securely as one I LOVED. Still, I might look into more by the author. Whe it was bad it was boring for me, but when it was good it was AMAZING.
Heather
Aug 22, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good book. I do believe that it was unnecessary to have the language in it, but other than that, it was pretty good. I like that sometimes the most important person in our life is the one we don't notice. But when we finally do, it makes our life that much better!
Audry
Jul 01, 2012 Audry rated it did not like it
Didn't finish this book, because of all the swear words, especially the 'f' word. I ruined the book. It sounded like it could have been good, but couldn't get through all the trashyness. Her Aunt is so wanting her to sleep with just anyone, and her friend does.
Too bad.
Erica
Jan 30, 2010 Erica rated it liked it
I was addicted to reading this book, but then a little disappointed at the end because I felt like there wasn't any bigger lesson to be learned. Although it is a love story, it was a little too much teenage drama even though the characters are well into their 20s.
Elizabetta
Mar 29, 2011 Elizabetta rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chick-lit
I loved every minute of this book, especially the minutes with George. As far as chick-lit goes, this book is a winner - smart, funny (actual LOL funny at times), great pop culture references, has some weight but is still a fun read.
shane
Sep 10, 2008 shane rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sarah Grams
Recommended to shane by: Gretzky B
I saw this book on Greta's list, and I knew it must be good :) And sure enough, it's a winner! Shanman has a wonderful wit and is a calculated story teller. She never hestitates to include all the juicy details. Love it!
Rcltigger
Jul 07, 2007 Rcltigger rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, chicklit
Debut chick lit fiction. Playwright Liza Weiler meets a jerk Wall Street prince and an ER doc in the same night. Colorful characters. Fluffy and light, some weak plot points, but a good beach read.
Rebecca
Jul 06, 2009 Rebecca rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, in fact I read it in a single day! The characters were all very relatable and I found myself wishing that I had the nerve to express myself the way Liza did sometimes.
Bonnie
Jun 28, 2007 Bonnie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: girls only
This. was. so. cute. Read in a few hours. I laughed out loud once, I cried a lot at the end, and I was totally rooting for the character (even though I didn't really identify with her).
Lori
Jul 11, 2011 Lori rated it it was ok
Chick-lit; I'd have preferred a story where the characters were more fleshed out and not quite so shallow, but not bad for what it is.
Liz
Dec 03, 2008 Liz rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The narrator is smart and relatable, the writing is funny, but intelligent... Seriously, loved it.
Alicia
Oct 05, 2007 Alicia rated it it was amazing
The perfect fast read. Pick it up if you're going to the beach, or taking a plane ride. HIGHLY reccomend it!
Melanie
Oct 28, 2009 Melanie rated it really liked it
Right Before Your Eyes by Ellen Shanman (2007)
Amy
Notserp2002
Dec 19, 2013 Notserp2002 rated it liked it
amusing
Erin Gray
Erin Gray marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Needa
Needa marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Roxanne
Roxanne marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Allison Perryman
Allison Perryman marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Girl from Mars
  • Hex and the Single Girl
  • Just Say Yes
  • True Love (and Other Lies)
  • Sunnyside Blues
  • Step on it, Cupid
  • Hysterical Blondeness
  • Pick Me Up
  • The Chalet Girl
  • Improper Relations (Lord Shad, #1)
  • Falling Out of Fashion