Start by marking “Beacon Best of 2001 (Beacon Anthology)” as Want to Read:
Beacon Best of 2001 (Beacon Anthology)

Beacon Best of 2001 (Beacon Anthology)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Continuing its tradition of offering the most stimulating and eclectic collection of short fiction, creative nonfiction, and poetry, The Beacon Best returns this year with the acclaimed writer Junot Díaz as guest editor. The 2001 edition features not only celebrated wordsmiths like Ha Jin, Louise Erdrich, Francisco Goldman, Chang-rae Lee, and Zadie Smith, but also emerging ...more
Published October 6th 2001 by Beacon Press

To ask other readers questions about Beacon Best of 2001, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beacon Best of 2001

A
The saturday morning car wash made me laugh out loud. The car look like "king kong wiped his ass with a pepsi can".
I also loved the Dagoberto Gilb story and the paper flowers piece also.
Sidik Fofana
(six word review #10) "The Saturday Morning Car Wash Club"!
Ana
Junot Diaz edited this anthology, and because I think he is one of the best writers around I trust his opinion. He didn't disappoint.

I enjoyed many of the stories, poems, and essays in the anthology. It exposed me to many authors that I've never heard of such as Ha Jin, Nega Mezlekia, and Elissa Ward and many more. As well as works by authors I have read before like Zadie Smith and Lucille Clifton.

From war, poverty, immigration, medicine, stripping, family, relationships, and childhood nostalg
Rianna Jade
I didn't enjoy a few of stories/poems but Edwidge Danticat and Danzy Senna stole the show.
Alison
Some fantastic short stories here from authors you would have a hard time finding anywhere else.
Chanti
Generally enjoyable. The Revelation Museum (Pedro Ponce), Mexico DF (Francisco Goldman), Notes from the Catwalk (Elissa Wald), and Revival Road (Louise Erdrich) were my favorites.
Alicia
another tarra lend. started me off on the short story kick of 2006, and lead me straight into junot diaz' own stories.
Evelyn
hit and miss...some short stories are compelling...others are not. then...there are poems. oi.
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
DJ Babaloo
DJ Babaloo marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Veronica Secreti
Veronica Secreti marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Saida Acevedo
Saida Acevedo marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Pilar Garza
Pilar Garza marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Kat Sorensen
Kat Sorensen marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Cheryl Thornton-pierce
Cheryl Thornton-pierce marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Sabra
Sabra marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Edda
Edda marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Rell Glo
Rell Glo marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Terah Paluba
Terah Paluba marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Jami
Jami marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Yannette Ayala
Yannette Ayala marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
  • The Best American Short Stories 2002
  • The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2003
  • The Best American Short Stories 2004
  • The Best American Short Stories 2005
  • The Best American Short Stories 2010 (The Best American Series (R))
  • The Best of Mystery: 63 Short Stories Chosen by the Master of Suspense
  • Los hijos de los días
  • Heroes and Saints and Other Plays: Giving Up the Ghost, Shadow of a Man, Heroes and Saints
  • The Cosmopolitan Canopy: Race and Civility in Everyday Life
  • Living For Change: An Autobiography
  • The Miraculous Day of Amalia Gómez
  • The Maid
  • Violent Politics: A History of Insurgency, Terrorism, and Guerrilla War, from the American Revolution to Iraq
Junot Díaz is a contemporary Dominican-American writer. He moved to the USA with his parents at age six, settling in New Jersey. Central to Díaz's work is the duality of the immigrant experience. He is the first Dominican-born man to become a major author in the United States.

Díaz is creative writing professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He received the Pulitzer Prize for Fictio
More about Junot Díaz...
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao This Is How You Lose Her Drown How to Date a Brown Girl (Black Girl, White Girl, or Halfie) Miss Lora