Start by marking “Absolute Zero (Phil Broker, #3)” as Want to Read:
Absolute Zero (Phil Broker, #3)

Absolute Zero (Phil Broker #3)

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  357 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
"On one of the coldest nights in Minnesota history, the difference between life and death is literally the blink of an eye for Phil Broker, until recently St. Paul's most successful undercover cop. That blink will convey the urgent warning of a comatose man who knows the dark truth binding Broker to a remarkable cast of characters - a weary anesthesiologist, a brilliant su ...more
Published (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Absolute Zero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Absolute Zero

Benjamin Sobieck
Apr 16, 2011 Benjamin Sobieck rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There are some books I should get into, but for some reason can't. Absolute Zero by Chuck Logan was one of them.

It has everything. Minnesota setting. Money corrupting. Moose hunting. Ostrich farming. Meathheads beating meatheads. Ostriches beating meatheads. What more could I ask for in a crime novel?

A lot.

Maybe it was the plot. The lead character, Phil Broker, is an ex-cop who winds up tangled in a love dodecahedron worthy of a Jerry Springer episode.

It all starts when a moose hunt goes awry i
Jason Overdorf
Feb 15, 2014 Jason Overdorf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read a lot of crime fiction, most of which can be reviewed with a word or two. This one stood out for me. Although it ticked all the boxes for the genre, it didn't really follow the standard formula for a 12-chapter mystery. That made the plot a bit more organic, and it felt less like the hero was "solving a mystery" than usual -- more like he had real motivations. The writing was very vivid, and the characters were particularly well-drawn -- much more so than in the other Chuck Logan book I r ...more
Tamora Pierce
Sep 03, 2008 Tamora Pierce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Logan tells a clean crisp story about two battered warriors--Phil and his war vet wife Nina, and their girl Kit, who is growing up to be a cool-headed action hero in her own right!
Ed
May 06, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#3 in the Phillip Broker series. Phil is a sometimes lawman for various agencies in the Upper Midwest - predominately MN. He has a troubled marriage with action junkie Nina, an Army MP Major.

Phillip Broker is separated from MP Major Nina Pryce who has taken their daughter to Europe. He guides a canoe trip and disaster strikes. A writer suffers a life threatening injury during a sudden blizzard. After evacuation to a local hospital, the doctor performs surgery but the writer winds up in a coma. T
Dirk
Jun 10, 2010 Dirk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book review # 21
“Absolute Zero” by Chuck Logan

This novel is a mystery / thriller with so many twist and turns that if you were to read it all in one sitting your head would be twisted and turned as well! Chuck Logan is a wonderful and talented writer that can look at any situation and present the many different perspectives that all the characters of that event might encounter.

The beginning of this book is a story about a middle aged man , Phil Broker who is going through the process of a divorc
Tom
May 31, 2015 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Broker takes a group on a Hunting trip in Minnesota - get caught in storm - men go to hospital, one goes into coma, turns out a friend/doctor injected stuff in his IV. Broker and Amy (nurse) go about discovering a web of decept and a great battle in freezing cold at the end.
M
Jan 11, 2015 M rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Up until the end I would have given this 1 star, as it is it rates 2.. I struggled to finish this and skimmed parts of the middle.This is not the same Phil Broker from the first or even second book. I hope the next book is better.
Sergio
Nov 02, 2015 Sergio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un thriller avvincente e ben scritto che ha tra i protagonisti anche un uomo in coma!
Pr Latta
It took me a long time to get through this Phil Broker title -- a lot of macho details when what originally attracted me was the manly-man daddy aspect of Broker (in this title, his wife has taken his daughter which seems to give Broker a pass at acting human). I thoroughly enjoyed the medical thread to the story, the ostrich details, and the VERY strong sense of place (Minnesota) and winter details that play a significant role in the story line. The denoument was satisfying (glad I was sitting ...more
Jlither
Jul 30, 2015 Jlither rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It kept me awake... reading...
Robert
Apr 25, 2010 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
It gets cold in Minnesota and points north. Author Chuck Logan heats up the north woods once again with character Phil Broker. After a daring backwoods rescue mission that goes right, and immediately takes a turn for the worse, Broker sees something that he does not like. His investigation takes some chilling turns that will heat up the Minnesota backwoods like a bonfire. Author Chuck Logan has pulled off another superb book in this third installment of the story of character Phil Broker.
Kristal Cooper
A decent action/drama. Just not my favorite genre because I'm rarely ever surprised.
Ken Yliniemi
A pretty good Northern MN Murder mystery, and it starts off in the Boundary Waters, and goes across the state back up to Ely, MN. It is set in wintertime, and is a fun read. Their are a few inconsistencies with some of Minnesota occurrences, like cell phone service in the BWCA and falling through the ice on a lake when it is -28F. seems pretty crazy. But, it is fiction so I give it up as it is a fun read.
Krista
This was wild ride from start to finish. I couldn't decide if it was a Suspense book, or a Thriller. So I marked it as both. The author so graphically portrayed what the winter cold of Minnesota could quickly do to unprotected human flesh.

I liked the weaving of a the medical storyline with the thriller.
Tracy Walters
This was a good story with lots of interesting characters. I liked the story but I hated the narrator's voice. It made it hard for me to concentrate and listen to the audio book because his voice was so annoying. Good story......bad narrator.
Mikel
Jan 14, 2009 Mikel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic book. It's the first Chuck Logan I've read and I'm now committed to reading everything else he's written. A great writer, VERY reminiscent of John Sandford in style and tone (ironic, given that they both write from Minnesota.
Mar 07, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being from Minnesota, I liked this book very much. The author is also from Minnesota and I like reading local authors. This book was very fast and I read most of it in one whole day while sick in bed.
Roysart
Jan 04, 2015 Roysart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it.
Jeff Dickison
Fair Phil Broker novel. Not much suspense since you know from the beginning who the bad guys are. The only real interest after that is figuring on how they are going to meet their demise.
Cathy
Jun 19, 2012 Cathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another audio book read ... from my sister. Not something I would pick up, but I totally see why a nurse who does phone triage would enjoy it. Talented author.
Mark
Mar 10, 2009 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my 2nd Broker novel...enjoyable and quirky in an Elmore Leonard way, but without the humor...I think of Broker as a Jack Reacher like character
Kaylah Hancock
Sep 24, 2015 Kaylah Hancock rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
It wasn't a very good book. I dropped it after struggling to get 300 pages into it. It just didn't keep my interests and I didn't like Broker as a character.
Neal
Jun 04, 2012 Neal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although the charactors come off being a bit trashy, the plot is interesting and complex enough to create great interest.
Jill
I listened to the audio book a few years ago, and I think I liked it. I had no idea it was the third book in a series!
Teddy
Aug 31, 2010 Teddy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not great literature, but a really intense book that drags you through it.
Steve
Dec 31, 2011 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At times a little slow, but inventive and kept me thinking and guessing.
Jodi
Even people on the St. Croix River can be conniving and killer-like
Nina
Jan 29, 2008 Nina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A good action / mystery set in the Twin Cities & Ely.
Judy Sorensen
Exciting beach read. Could not put it down,
Cara
Nov 13, 2007 Cara marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
J. Pulcino recommendation
  • The Cabal (Kirk McGarvey, #14)
  • Deadman's Bluff (Tony Valentine #7)
  • The Rules of Silence
  • Depraved Difference (Detective Shakespeare Mysteries, #1)
  • Black River (Frank Corso, #2)
  • Blood Hollow (Cork O'Connor, #4)
  • Jaded (Court of Edaeii, #2)
  • Skull Duggery (Gideon Oliver, #16)
  • House of Dark Shadows/Watcher in the Woods (Dreamhouse Kings, #1-2)
  • Crucified  (Special X, #13)
  • The Abduction
  • Clear and Convincing Proof (Barbara Holloway #7)
  • The Nameless Dead
  • An Accidental American: A Novel
  • The Harry Bosch Novels, Volume 2: The Last Coyote / Trunk Music / Angels Flight (Harry Bosch, #4-6)
  • Internecine
  • Penance (Holland Taylor, #1)
  • Tracking Time (April Woo, #6)
Chuck Logan is an author of crime drama and veteran of the Vietnam War, who lives with his wife and daughter in Stillwater, Minnesota.

He is best known for his series of novels featuring the character Phil Broker, an ex-Minnesota police officer. Logan's novels include Hunter's Moon, Absolute Zero, Vapor Trail, Homefront, and After the Rain. Homefront is now a major motion picture starring James Fra
More about Chuck Logan...

Phil Broker (6 books)
  • The Price Of Blood (Phil Broker, #1)
  • The Big Law (Phil Broker, #2)
  • Vapor Trail (Phil Broker, #4)
  • After The Rain (Phil Broker, #5)
  • Homefront (Phil Broker, #6)

“voice said. “Doesn’t that hurt now that he’s coming around?” a second female voice asked.” 0 likes