Start by marking “Trust Me” as Want to Read:
Trust Me

Trust Me

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  1,157 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Does family always come first?

Two young sisters sent far, far from home ...

When tragedy deprives little Dulcie Taylor and her sister May of their parents, they are sent first to an orphanage and then shipped off to begin a new life in Australia. But the 'better life' the sisters are promised in this new and exciting country turns out to be a lie.

It seems everyone who ever
Published 2001 by Penguin Books

To ask other readers questions about Trust Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trust Me

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareSilence by Becca FitzpatrickClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareBloodlines by Richelle MeadPassion by Lauren Kate
Books I Must Read In 2011
161st out of 344 books — 457 voters
Jane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëEmma by Jane AustenPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenSense and Sensibility by Jane AustenThe Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
Women in White
311th out of 435 books — 97 voters

More lists with this book...

Anita
There’s just one criticism of Lesley Pearse’s books that I must get off my chest, and that’s the horrid “chick-flick” style covers on her books (including the ones featuring photos of pretty women). My version of ‘Trust Me’ is particularly bad; yellow with pink bows and flowers and oversized pink and baby blue text. It’s so awful that I would not be seen reading it in public.

Thank goodness for Good Reads and Amazon reviews, as without having read them I’d never have picked up her books in a shop
Amy
I feel for the children who suffer in the hands of crazy, immoral, and abusive adults. That said, I could never recommend a book that was so against the Catholic Church.

There are those who hurt people in all sorts of organizations and knowing that abusers can infiltrate the Sacred Catholic Church is not really surprising, as churches are full of people and people are sinners.

The entire Church is not to blame for the sinners who associate themselves with her. Just like all teachers and schools
Pooja Jeevagan
Another heart-wrenching novel, with substantial reality to it...

Unlike the last one, this one isn't on the Indian background and hence, probably not much to identify with...but then again, it probably shows what existed in West few decades ago, might be the Indian truth today...

Just made me feel, adopting someone is really a nice cause...if only that wasn't a big taboo in the society...makes way more sense to give an existing person a better chance in life rather than bringing another angel on e
Victoria
WOW. This book.
I don't know what to say.
Okay, first of all, I'm only 16, & this is WAAAAY different from the books I usually read.
Like, veery different. The closest in my 'Read' shelf to this book would probably only be the Memory Keeper's Daughter.
& I think due to many sexual & normal abuse parts I felt uncomfortable, that it's rated 4 Stars and not 5.

But I loved it.
This is the first book that I LOVE that took me a few days to finish, because I had to take my time to read it slowly,
Leigh
I had heard little about the Child Migration Scheme before reading this book. I knew more about the aborigines and the residential schools, mainly because we had the same scandal in Canada with our own aboriginal people. So this book was a learning experience for me. I found the story to be very well told and all of the characters had something in them that made them likeable. Dulcie while appearing to be weak and a martyr type, also showed she did have guts after all, Ross despite being moody, ...more
Denise
Another favourite of mine which I read when it was released & have never forgotten. The story was so tragic and moving because it is based on the sad realities of orphanages in Australia during the 50's and 60's.
This book stayed with me for a long time and it shows that Lesley really researched this subject. The story has everything - betrayal, tragedy, murder, friendship and love. A definite must read, I can't imagine anyone not liking this brilliant book.
Lian
I read this book as part of my book club, I was a bit dubious as its not the sort of book I read but it was so well written and such an amazing story I really enjoyed it but was sad that this sort of thing actually does happen in real life. It took me longer than normal to read as I had to concentrate a bit more but I found myself really caring about Dulcie and what happened to her. Definitely recommend this book.
Caz Lopez
this book was fantastic I couldn't put it down and enjoyed all 710 pages of it the characters were great and I would highly recommend this book to any one. if I could give it more stars it would definitely be a 10/10 this is the first book ive read by this author and I certainly will be reading more of hers very soon!
Lynn Kyle-smyth
Probably the best book I've ever read. The author makes you feel everything that the characters feel, you are truly thrown into Australia and every situation the girls find themselves in. Beautifully written with wonderful characters who you get to know so well. A must read!
Michelle ♥ The Romance Vault ♥
Leslie does it again - utterly brilliant, don't hesitate to read this book, Lesley is the Queen of this kind of storytelling, her words just flow off the page and are so amazingly visual. Kudos to Lesley Pearse, she's a gem of an author.
Louise Jennings
I have always loved Lesley pearces book and this is no exception. To be able to make you connect with dulcie and at least try and understand what she went through and felt during her life. I would recommend to anyone
Stacey Taylor
This novel took me a little while to get into and then suddenly I found myself hooked. The tragedies of these little girl's lives (and so many other orphan's lives) made me realise how blessed I am to grow up in the time that it is now and surrounded by people who love me and who stand up for me. This book showed me the true cruelty many children endured from the sisters and the brothers of the children homes in question, leaving me appalled that such evil can exist in homes supposedly run by fa ...more
Mahbuba
Marlene Sheehan
I really like Lesley Pearse's books. This storey is about the era of kids being dumped into the care of the catholic nuns and brothers. How they were shipped off the Australia from the UK. It rang true with me I'm a catholic but I do not like the way some of the nuns, brothers and priests hide behind god to abuse and humiliate the children in their care. Unfortunately their actions cast the catholic religion in a very bad light. Lesley has done a really great job of describing the impact these h ...more
Barbra
This is one of my all time favourite books. What a wonderful read this is and I recommend it whenever I can. It is a really moving book and I just couldnt put it down. If you get the opportunity to read it please do.

The book is about two sisters whose father is wrongly imprisoned for killing their mother. They are sent to a convent orphanage where they are very badly treated by the nuns there. Eventually they become two of the first children to go on the Orphan Train to Australia where they are
Kate
As with all her books, the author quickly grabbed my attention, encouraging me to read 'just one more chapter' before bed!
The plot is believable, if not somewhat contrived,but still led to a really enjoyable book.
As ever, Lesley Pearse excelled herself
Tory
This book was great for it’s very real content. It was about the Child Migration Scheme that placed thousands of British orphans into children’s homes in Australia.

The abuse is staggering. That any of these children turned into productive members of society is astounding, but many didn’t.

But, the story, it was fiction, and it was a very good story. From what I know and have experienced the emotions and the guilt and the life altering effects of feeling worthless, the author did a really good j
Rebecca
I was totally absorbed by this book...a great read.
Sabrina Arendse
Loved this book!
Claire Vella
Lovely book. Very good read and a touching story.
Maureen Allen
This book was hard to read in places but once started you needed to read to the end. This author has done well to incorporate fact with fiction and make it such compelling reading.

So sad but the world needs to know about this subject and if it encourages others to be aware of what happened in orphanages in England and Australia and other parts of the world and can help tell the story of the victims and this author has done this very skilfully.
Grace
This was a bitter sweet book to read because of the mental and sexual abuse carried out by people who should have been trusted. the victims were children and were therefore helpless. The Catholic church and the British and Australian governments have a lot to answer for.

As usual the author has told a story based in fact with such poignancy is amazing. It's hard to believe that these things happened during my lifetime.
Carolina
Fantástico! Foi o primeiro livro que li da Lesley Pearse e desde então sou fã dela! O livro é um romance mas reflete muito bem a pobreza extrema que existia na classe baixa do século XIX já que mostra os bairros pobres onde as raparigas com 14 anos se prostituíam para arranjar dinheiro para se sustentar e sustentar a família. É realmente um livro espetacular e um dos meus favoritos! Love Lesley Pearse <3
Julielenore
Another great Lesley Pearse novel. This is the third LP novel I have read, and another great page turner. The story is similar to the other two LP novels I have read. A young girl is taken advantage and hurt, and overcomes it to become a successful and caring adult, and finds love along the way. I can't wait to read another Lesley Pearse book, she has become one of my favorite authors.
Cj
Feb 11, 2008 Cj rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Angela
Recommended to Cj by: Found on a book shelf and loved her stuff since
Would have to be my favourite one of hers. It showed the terrible things that occured post war when young children were sent to Australia and NZ and how some were treated. Has references to non fiction books which are also a good read.
Lesley always produces a great read from rags to riches. About time some of her books were made into movies don't you think??
Lisa Derry
This could have been my favourite so far from Lesley Pearse -loved it
Noor -^•^-
I can't believe that i actually cried a river after i finished... it was so heartbreaking... i dont think i ever emagened that someone could pass through all these emotions.
and Noel... oh my gosh...
Dulcie is an inspiring character in a unstoppable-turning book...
I loved it with all my heart...
thank you, Lesley Pearse ...
Beth
This is one amazing book which will be hard to forget. Been
in my bookshelf years and can't believe it's taken me so long to finally read it. Based on the real life orphanages in the late 1940's in Australia it was heartbreaking in places. Very well researched and kept me gripped throughout. Loved it !!!
Louise Mitchell
couldnt finish the book it was so boring.
Is it a book???? 1 6 Nov 25, 2014 03:24AM
  • Billie Jo
  • Sun at Midnight
  • Stand by Me
  • Snatched
Lesley Pearse is one of the UK's best-loved novelists with fans across the globe and sales of over 2 million copies of her books to date. A true storyteller and a master of gripping storylines that keep the reader hooked from beginning to end, Pearse introduces you to characters that it is impossible not to care about or forget. There is no formula to her books or easily defined genre. Whether cri ...more
More about Lesley Pearse...
Belle Remember Me Stolen The Promise Never Look Back

“You can't do anything about the past, it's done and can't be mended. But the future is different, if you just think what you really want and reach out and take it.” 43 likes
“Now, tomorrow you got to put on a happy face, not for me, nor May, or anyone else, just for yourself. 'Cause that's a magic trick I learned a long time ago, if you look like you're happy, you soon get to be.” 19 likes