Start by marking “The Vampire Diaries (The Vampire Diaries, #1-4)” as Want to Read:
The Vampire Diaries (The Vampire Diaries, #1-4)

The Vampire Diaries (The Vampire Diaries #1-4)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  4,848 Ratings  ·  152 Reviews
13 yrs+
272 pages
Published (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Vampire Diaries, please sign up.

Aleisha Ciccarelli yes they are but they cannot run fast and the are not super strong but the are real because they drink blood.

Nicole *{Lady Aribeth}*
Aug 06, 2012 Nicole *{Lady Aribeth}* rated it it was ok
Shelves: teen
I wanted to read this book because I absolutely love the show. Yes, I love it. There's just so much drama to not love it. And Ian Somerholder, I mean come on! But this book was such a disappointment. Keep in mind that I am avidly against Twilight, and this book was very similar. Elena becomes so obsessed with Stefan that she loses all self-control. She's willing to die for him, accept almost immediately that he sucks the blood of little white doves, and flunk her classes because she can't stop t ...more
Mariah
Jan 21, 2017 Mariah rated it really liked it
Read this in high school and really enjoyed it! That's about all I can remember.
☕ℓαυяєη єℓιzαвєтн
I'm really happy I decided to re-read this series, mostly because the last time I read it was during a sort of hard time in my life. I don't really remember much of it at all, I was also obsessed with the TV show which is worlds different from these books. Also, Damon Salvatore happens to be one of my favorite characters of all time.

I enjoyed this read quite a bit. Don't let the 3 star rating fool you, that's mostly regarding the fact that the first two books could have been put into one. I don'
Amanda
Jul 01, 2013 Amanda rated it did not like it
1 Pathetic, Lonely Star

Wow, is it even possible for someone to actually like these books? The Vampire Diaries by L.J. Smith may be even more poorly written than Twilight, and that is saying something.

For ONCE, the TV show was better than the book. Something I find to occur very rarely. The first four seasons of the Vampire Diaries TV show was awesome. When I realized that it was adapted from a book series, I was so excited! I figured, like always, the books would blow the TV show out of the w
Annelise Lestrange
Feb 20, 2012 Annelise Lestrange rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, vampires
This is the better vampire series that i've read.

Everything fits perfectly and there is Damon.
He's the most adorable villain non-villain ever. He kills, he hurts, he mocks and I still love him... I'm so sick xD

L J Smith rulez!
Danielle
Apr 25, 2012 Danielle rated it did not like it
The worst book ever...but that's what I get for reading a teeny bopper book.
Lisa
02KelsieW
May 27, 2013 02KelsieW rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-reports
The Vampire Diaries, Book #1-The Awakening by L.J. Smith

Intended Audience is for Young Adults. The main issue that the book address is that Elena Gilbert falls in love with vampire brothers Stefan and Damon Salvatore.

The setting, varies with the same story line. The time is very important because they are vampires, and they can live forever.

The main characters are Elena Gilbert, who is beautiful and popular. Stefan Salvatore, a mysterious vampire, and Damon Salvatore, Stefan's older brother and
Nikki
I read these when I was in year 8 so long, long, LONG before the show was even an idea. They were possibly my favourite books, that I had read at the time and I think I've re-read these books more than any other. To me, Bonnie was a huge stand out in the books. I loved her. Looking back at them now, they aren't the BEST books ever written, and I do wish they were a little longer, but I was around 13 or 14 first reading them so they were perfect for me at that age.

I will always have a special pla
Lara
Mar 13, 2013 Lara rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I really liked it, but I didn't like Elena's character in the beginning. She was too slutty and she instantly became obsessed with Stefan. And it really has too much changing for her - she was a human, then a vampire, then a ghost, ghostly human and then human with special powers.Otherwise, it was good and I enjoyed reading it. And, I have to mention it, I adore Damon's character. He is just awesome.
Lisa
Aug 29, 2013 Lisa rated it did not like it
Shelves: do-not-read
I did not like it.

And that is for several reasons.

I just didn't like Elena. God - she was a selfish little girl who thought she was the everything. She just assumed every fucking person in the world loved her.

I like books when I love the characters. That's the biggest pro in a book. Even when the story is crappy, I can still find myself reading the book because I love the characters so much.
But this? This was so not worth my time.

And besides that - how in earth can you write so many books w
Casey Carlisle
Feb 07, 2015 Casey Carlisle rated it it was ok
Shelves: paranormal
I completed the novels some years ago, but in doing a comparison to the television series for my blog I gave them a second read…

I did like the darkness in the novels, especially in the debut, and the premise of the story has great potential. There are a great many elements I find intriguing in L.J. Smith’s books, but ultimately it was their execution, and possibly the writing style that fell short of making Stefan and company compelling for me.
Maybe I’ve grown out of any fascination for Smith’s
Graycie
Jul 07, 2014 Graycie rated it it was ok
I absolutely love the show so I thought I'd give the books a try, typically the saying "the books are always better" is true, but not in this case. One thing that disappointed me were the characters, except for Damon. I particularly did not like how Elena was made to be stuck up, desperate, spoiled, and a wimp.

Throughout reading the books I did not find myself truly engaged once.
I found myself quite bored actually.

Maybe my opinion of these books would be different if I didn't watch the show and
Haruka Sakai
Oct 03, 2012 Haruka Sakai rated it liked it
HERPER/level ?
10/3 100min.
Vampire, human, blood, worwolf, love, death, triangle,

Do you want to be a vampire?
No, I don't. Because they can't die easily, and get old.

If you love two men,or women, what do you do?
I'll date both of them at the same time.

Edacheeky (Eda D)
Dec 11, 2014 Edacheeky (Eda D) marked it as to-read
I've heard that the books are pretty different from the TV series but I've still got to read it!!!
Luv To
Mar 19, 2014 Luv To rated it it was amazing
Totally awesome book!!!!! Who ever is going to read dis book I should tell you dis its the best book EVER. Whoever is not reading dis book you better look for it somewhere n read it.
Aya Lawliet
Jul 13, 2015 Aya Lawliet rated it really liked it
Da completa profana dell'omonima serie tv, ho letto ogni genere di critica alla protagonista di questa saga; eppure, l'Elena Gilbert letteraria mi ha colpita davvero tanto. Entra in scena come un'egocentrica un po' snob (una ragazza consapevole del proprio aspetto e, pur soffermandosi di tanto in tanto a interrogare la propria coscienza, del tutto a suo agio nell'usarlo a proprio vantaggio: più realistica, per come la vedo io, di tante Mary Sue bellissime e dolcissime ma praticamente ignare di e ...more
Cinzia Laviano
Due sole stelline a questo romanzo... Ero indecisa se dargliene solo una ma, visto che dopotutto mi ha fatto compagnia per qualche ora, una stellina mi sembrava sul serio troppo poco.
Da dove parto a criticare?
Il libro si presenta bene. Bella copertina, cartonato, neanche costoso, bordi delle pagine rosse MA, è scritto larghissimo, le pagine sono spesse e si finisce molto più velocemente di quanto avessi immaginato.
La storia sa di già sentito, colpa di Twilight sicuramente... Ma qui i protagonis
Anne
May 17, 2014 Anne rated it really liked it
Inhalt:

Es beginnt ganz harmlos: In der Highschool verliebt sich die 17-jährige Elena in den attraktiven Stefano. Was sie nicht ahnt: der Junge ist ein Vampir und stammt aus dem Florenz des 15. Jahrhunderts! Schon seit über 600 Jahren liefern sich Stefano und sein Vampirbruder Damon erbitterte Rivalenkämpfe um ihre große Liebe - Elena.

Ich habe "Tagebuch eines Vampirs" bereits schon einmal vor ein paar Jahren gelesen und fand und finde die Reihe wirklich toll. Es war meine erste und lange auch ei
Tazhiana brown
Nov 13, 2012 Tazhiana brown rated it liked it
WARNING SPOILERS INSIDE:

This story is about a group of friends that kind of have feelings for eachother.They are just a group of teenage girls and boys who have vampire powers and write about them in a diary. Lastly they act like normal children by going to parties and other fun things that tennagers would do.But when they were at the party , they found out someone they knew was killed by drinkning a poisonous drink.

I think the book was very boring because it wasnt really any action until the en
The Lady Inquisitor
Nov 15, 2014 The Lady Inquisitor rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Ya,fans of vampire romance.
Recommended to The Lady Inquisitor by: no idea
Actual rating: 3.5

The last book of this series is pretty much where everything goes wrong. (view spoiler)

I do not watch The Vampire Diaries series. I only watched the pilot episode and didn't care much for it. It doesn't seem bad,even though the fact that it changed everything that happens in the book made me raise my eyebrows a little.

I gave this 3.5 because,even though it has problems like the insta-love,the love triangles and the protagonist
Szasz Hajni
Nov 09, 2014 Szasz Hajni rated it did not like it
Lupe Rodriguez
Dec 28, 2015 Lupe Rodriguez rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampires
The first three books were like crack to me. I just couldn't get enough of them because I was dying to see how everything turned out. ***Spoiler.... seriously don't keep reading because I get so angry when someone writes spoiler and then the very next words are the give away. Do you not understand how fast I read?*** The fact that Elena dies and becomes a vampire right away, is so unlike the show. I also appreciated that the love story wasn't so strong, and that their was much more going on. Th ...more
Mikah Hudson
Dec 16, 2013 Mikah Hudson rated it it was amazing
If someone were interested in a science fiction book , the first one I would recommend would be The Vampire Diaries . This book is about a young girl who just went back to school after a terrible accident in where her parents die . She then starts to like a new boy at their school . He is very mysterious . They soon get to know each other and become friends . Their relationship then turns tables and they start falling in love with each other . The girl comes to find out the boy has a brother , w ...more
Yasmine Chloe
Jun 01, 2014 Yasmine Chloe rated it liked it
I found these books very hard to finish. I first read these books a while back, before I'd watched the TV show, now after getting into the TV show a lot, I decided to give the books another go, to recap my memory of them. I enjoyed the first two books, but after that, I struggled to finish the other two. The plot line was just horrendous, and I'm so glad they changed the TV show a heck of a lot, because I dont think the storyline of the books would have completely worked as a tv show. Elenas cha ...more
Mackenzie
Oct 30, 2014 Mackenzie rated it really liked it
Elana has it all. She is the queen of the school, how else would it be? But she dosn't feel that way. Lately she has been felling like she needs some where to belong. One day a mysterious stranger appears at school. Elana wants him to be hers. But he has a mysterious secret, and a brother who's out to kill him. Read the book to find out more!

I liked this book. The plot was good, and I didn't find any spelling errors. But the characters seemed kind of pathetic and self centered, especally Elana.
Pam Brokenshire
Jul 12, 2014 Pam Brokenshire rated it it was ok
I attempted to read this series a dozen times due to my love for the television series, but I was only able to truly get through it when I listened to it on audio book. After starting a new position at work that allows me to listen to audio books all day I decided I would give it a shot and although the storyline wasn't so bad I still didn't care much for Elena. I wanted to punch her in the face most of the time because she was entirely self centered. In fact, the only character I did like was D ...more
Onceuponareader
Well...for starters I wanted to read this book as I was drawn by the name of it. When I read the blurb I found out that the story plot is like twilight. So I read the first chapter and it turns out that it was nothing like twilight. Stefan and Damon don't even save Elena. Once the book was in my hand, I just couldn't let go of it...It just proves how strange and fascinating a teenager's life becomes after 'the one' walks in
Precious Anne Palma
Oct 04, 2016 Precious Anne Palma rated it it was amazing
Before reading this book series, I became a fan of TVD series first. That's the reason I bought this. Gladly, it turns out to be as beautiful as the series. Although there's differences from the books and the series, I liked it. It's really a must haves for 'Vampire-addict' person like me. It all started with Twilight, but the story of this is much different. Other kinds of vampire but equally fantastic in my eyes.
Contemporary YA: The Vampire Diaries Books into TV 19 23 May 21, 2017 12:59PM
The YA Book Club: The Vampire Diaries 76 438 Jul 30, 2015 12:56PM
SOS: Serious Over...: Getting in a muddle with this series can some one help me 7 48 Mar 14, 2015 06:06PM
Delena Fans!: Season 5 1 8 Jan 22, 2015 09:56AM
YOUNG ADULT BOOKW...: The Vampire Diaries Series 10 48 Dec 10, 2014 06:10AM
Vampire Diaries? What book do I start with? 1 6 Nov 27, 2014 06:11AM
Bookaholics Anony...: The Vampire Diaries 4 10 Sep 24, 2014 03:13PM
  • 100% The Vampire Diaries: The Unofficial Guide To The Vampire Diaries
  • Love You to Death Season 2: The Unofficial Companion to The Vampire Diaries
  • Twilite: A Parody
  • No Such Thing as Immortality
  • A Visitor's Guide to Mystic Falls: Your Favorite Authors on The Vampire Diaries
  • Hunting Shadows (Shadow #3)
  • P.S.
  • His Forbidden Bride
  • Dunkel
  • Evenfall
  • Tantalize: Kieren's Story
  • The Vampire Diaries #1
  • Koda (Horse Diaries, #3)
  • Kinder des Judas (Kinder des Judas, #1)
  • The Witch Sisters (The Taker, #2.5)
  • Crónicas de la Torre
  • The Vampire Diaries #4
  • Near Death (Power of the Blood, #2)
I have a new blog about my Vampire Diaries fanfic.

L.J. SMITH, Lisa Jane Smith, is the New York Times #1 Bestselling author of The Vampire Diaries, The Secret Circle, The Forbidden Game, Dark Visions, Wildworld and Night World series. She has written over two dozen books for children and young adults, and has enjoyed writing every one of them. She lives in th
More about L.J. Smith...

The Vampire Diaries (4 books)
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries, #2)
  • The Fury (The Vampire Diaries, #3)
  • Dark Reunion (The Vampire Diaries, #4)

“Let bygones be bygones” 2 likes