Start by marking “The Vampire Diaries (The Vampire Diaries, #1-4)” as Want to Read:
The Vampire Diaries (The Vampire Diaries, #1-4)

The Vampire Diaries (The Vampire Diaries #1-4)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  3,482 ratings  ·  115 reviews
13 yrs+
272 pages
Published (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Vampire Diaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vampire Diaries

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingThe Twilight Saga by Stephenie MeyerVampire Academy by Richelle MeadSpirit Bound by Richelle Mead
Best Books Ever!!!
10th out of 168 books — 34 voters
Dark Lover by J.R. WardLover Awakened by J.R. WardLover Eternal by J.R. WardHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostLover Revealed by J.R. Ward
The Best Adult Vampire Romance Books
359th out of 826 books — 2,744 voters

More lists with this book...

Nicole *{Lady Aribeth}*
I wanted to read this book because I absolutely love the show. Yes, I love it. There's just so much drama to not love it. And Ian Somerholder, I mean come on! But this book was such a disappointment. Keep in mind that I am avidly against Twilight, and this book was very similar. Elena becomes so obsessed with Stefan that she loses all self-control. She's willing to die for him, accept almost immediately that he sucks the blood of little white doves, and flunk her classes because she can't stop t ...more
☕ℓαυяєη єℓιzαвєтн
I'm really happy I decided to re-read this series, mostly because the last time I read it was during a sort of hard time in my life. I don't really remember much of it at all, I was also obsessed with the TV show which is worlds different from these books. Also, Damon Salvatore happens to be one of my favorite characters of all time.

I enjoyed this read quite a bit. Don't let the 3 star rating fool you, that's mostly regarding the fact that the first two books could have been put into one. I don'
Amanda
For once the TV show or movie was better then the book. I was in love with The Vampire Diaries on television, so when I discovered it was made into a book I was stoked! I could only imagine that, like always, the book would blow me away. I thought wrong. Elena is just a disappointing character. Conceited, self obsessed, and stuck up, I hated the main character. Stefan Salvatore, you barely know anything about him. The relationship between Elena and Stefan, was more than simplified. Barely explai ...more
02KelsieW
The Vampire Diaries, Book #1-The Awakening by L.J. Smith

Intended Audience is for Young Adults. The main issue that the book address is that Elena Gilbert falls in love with vampire brothers Stefan and Damon Salvatore.

The setting, varies with the same story line. The time is very important because they are vampires, and they can live forever.

The main characters are Elena Gilbert, who is beautiful and popular. Stefan Salvatore, a mysterious vampire, and Damon Salvatore, Stefan's older brother and
Lara
I really liked it, but I didn't like Elena's character in the beginning. She was too slutty and she instantly became obsessed with Stefan. And it really has too much changing for her - she was a human, then a vampire, then a ghost, ghostly human and then human with special powers.Otherwise, it was good and I enjoyed reading it. And, I have to mention it, I adore Damon's character. He is just awesome.
Annelise L'Estrange
This is the better vampire series that i've read.

Everything fits perfectly and there is Damon.
He's the most adorable villain non-villain ever. He kills, he hurts, he mocks and I still love him... I'm so sick xD

L J Smith rulez!
Nikki
I read these when I was in year 8 so long, long, LONG before the show was even an idea. They were possibly my favourite books, that I had read at the time and I think I've re-read these books more than any other. To me, Bonnie was a huge stand out in the books. I loved her. Looking back at them now, they aren't the BEST books ever written, and I do wish they were a little longer, but I was around 13 or 14 first reading them.

After reading them, I wanted so badly for them to be turned into movies
Lisa
Jana
Oct 03, 2012 Jana added it
Lisa
I did not like it.

And that is for several reasons.

I just didn't like Elena. God - she was a selfish little girl who thought she was the everything. She just assumed every fucking person in the world loved her.

I like books when I love the characters. That's the biggest pro in a book. Even when the story is crappy, I can still find myself reading the book because I love the characters so much.
But this? This was so not worth my time.

And besides that - how in earth can you write so many books w
Graycie
I absolutely love the show so I thought I'd give the books a try, typically the saying "the books are always better" is true, but not in this case. One thing that disappointed me were the characters, except for Damon. I particularly did not like how Elena was made to be stuck up, desperate, spoiled, and a wimp.

Throughout reading the books I did not find myself truly engaged once.
I found myself quite bored actually.

Maybe my opinion of these books would be different if I didn't watch the show and
Casey Carlisle
I completed the novels some years ago, but in doing a comparison to the television series for my blog I gave them a second read…

I did like the darkness in the novels, especially in the debut, and the premise of the story has great potential. There are a great many elements I find intriguing in L.J. Smith’s books, but ultimately it was their execution, and possible the writing style that fell short of making Stefan and company compelling for me.
Maybe I’ve grown any fascination for Smith’s world?

I
The Lady Inquisitor
Actual rating: 3.5

The last book of this series is pretty much where everything goes wrong. (view spoiler)

I do not watch The Vampire Diaries series. I only watched the pilot episode and didn't care much for it. It doesn't seem bad,even though the fact that it changed everything that happens in the book made me raise my eyebrows a little.

I gave this 3.5 because,even though it has problems like the insta-love,the love triangles and the protagonist
Szasz Hajni
Yasmine Chloe
I found these books very hard to finish. I first read these books a while back, before I'd watched the TV show, now after getting into the TV show a lot, I decided to give the books another go, to recap my memory of them. I enjoyed the first two books, but after that, I struggled to finish the other two. The plot line was just horrendous, and I'm so glad they changed the TV show a heck of a lot, because I dont think the storyline of the books would have completely worked as a tv show. Elenas cha ...more
Haruka Sakai
HERPER/level ?
10/3 100min.
Vampire, human, blood, worwolf, love, death, triangle,

Do you want to be a vampire?
No, I don't. Because they can't die easily, and get old.

If you love two men,or women, what do you do?
I'll date both of them at the same time.

Mackenzie
Elana has it all. She is the queen of the school, how else would it be? But she dosn't feel that way. Lately she has been felling like she needs some where to belong. One day a mysterious stranger appears at school. Elana wants him to be hers. But he has a mysterious secret, and a brother who's out to kill him. Read the book to find out more!

I liked this book. The plot was good, and I didn't find any spelling errors. But the characters seemed kind of pathetic and self centered, especally Elana.
Luv To
Totally awesome book!!!!! Who ever is going to read dis book I should tell you dis its the best book EVER. Whoever is not reading dis book you better look for it somewhere n read it.
Pam Brokenshire
I attempted to read this series a dozen times due to my love for the television series, but I was only able to truly get through it when I listened to it on audio book. After starting a new position at work that allows me to listen to audio books all day I decided I would give it a shot and although the storyline wasn't so bad I still didn't care much for Elena. I wanted to punch her in the face most of the time because she was entirely self centered. In fact, the only character I did like was D ...more
Danielle
The worst book ever...but that's what I get for reading a teeny bopper book.
Anne
Inhalt:

Es beginnt ganz harmlos: In der Highschool verliebt sich die 17-jährige Elena in den attraktiven Stefano. Was sie nicht ahnt: der Junge ist ein Vampir und stammt aus dem Florenz des 15. Jahrhunderts! Schon seit über 600 Jahren liefern sich Stefano und sein Vampirbruder Damon erbitterte Rivalenkämpfe um ihre große Liebe - Elena.

Ich habe "Tagebuch eines Vampirs" bereits schon einmal vor ein paar Jahren gelesen und fand und finde die Reihe wirklich toll. Es war meine erste und lange auch ei
Tazhiana brown
WARNING SPOILERS INSIDE:

This story is about a group of friends that kind of have feelings for eachother.They are just a group of teenage girls and boys who have vampire powers and write about them in a diary. Lastly they act like normal children by going to parties and other fun things that tennagers would do.But when they were at the party , they found out someone they knew was killed by drinkning a poisonous drink.

I think the book was very boring because it wasnt really any action until the en
Charlotte Mertens
For starters I love the show!!!

Great storyline & amazing actors.

So I decided to start reading the books but what a disappointment it turned out to be.

The story isn't that bad but I'm a really big fan of the show and I think that is the reason why I don't like the books. The mean storyline is the same but so many details aren't the same as in the serie.

And that is frustrating to me because I really imagine the caracters from the series playing in the book.

Mikah Hudson
If someone were interested in a science fiction book , the first one I would recommend would be The Vampire Diaries . This book is about a young girl who just went back to school after a terrible accident in where her parents die . She then starts to like a new boy at their school . He is very mysterious . They soon get to know each other and become friends . Their relationship then turns tables and they start falling in love with each other . The girl comes to find out the boy has a brother , w ...more
Onceuponareader
Well...for starters I wanted to read this book as I was drawn by the name of it. When I read the blurb I found out that the story plot is like twilight. So I read the first chapter and it turns out that it was nothing like twilight. Stefan and Damon don't even save Elena. Once the book was in my hand, I just couldn't let go of it...It just proves how strange and fascinating a teenager's life becomes after 'the one' walks in
Sophia Skiffington
This book was good but not great. It never was a boring book but some parts were very cheesy. The book also had a very good story line but I feel like it was a book that was meant for a sequel because not much happens in the book, the entire book is practically an introduction to the story. I feel like without the other books this book is not good so if you're not looking to read the whole series this book is not a good one to read.
Dioulde
The vampire diaries by: L.J Smith
The town of Mystic Falls is said to be filled with supernatural creatures. Some people chose to mess with them and end up in a sticky situation. Elena is one of those people who falls in love with one dangerous creature and gets pulled in the trouble. The vampire diary was a fantastic book filled with drama, romance, and thriller. Turning through each page was a new discovery and made you ask more questions. I would defiantly recommend this book to any adventurou
Rachel
I loved the tv show so I thought I would give the book a try. Because the book is always better right? Wrong. This book has a lot of differences from the show, and I'm not just talking about stupid differences like Elena is blonde with blue eyes or Bonnie is a red head. I'm talking about how I consider Elena to be strong in the tv show but in this book she is a stupid teenager so desperate for Stefan that she makes up a boyfriend, goes to a cemetery nearby a recent murder with a bunch of drunk g ...more
Zoe Leeman
I love the 4 books in this series each one i read was a great page turner and made me want to read more, I am reading Vampire Diaries THE RETURN: Shadow Souls. I do admit I didn't get grabbed first of but I did go back to it once I refreshed my head with another book I brought. I do admit I more prefer the first 3 but I will continue to check them out.

Ravyn Cox
I am one of those people who watched the show before reading the books so I am not the one to give a good review. Though I have to say that I have read many of The Vampire Diaries books and they are okay. Even after reading the books I still have to say that the CW22 show is better. Again the books are great I would suggest others read them too.
SOS: Serious Over...: Getting in a muddle with this series can some one help me 7 31 Mar 14, 2015 06:06PM
Delena Fans!: Season 5 1 2 Jan 22, 2015 09:56AM
  • Love You to Death Season 2: The Unofficial Companion to The Vampire Diaries
  • No Such Thing as Immortality
  • Twilite: A Parody
  • The Vampire Diaries #1
  • A Visitor's Guide to Mystic Falls: Your Favorite Authors on The Vampire Diaries
  • P.S.
  • Dunkel
  • Tantalize: Kieren's Story
  • Koda (Horse Diaries, #3)
  • Kinder des Judas (Kinder des Judas, #1)
  • Risky Chance (Horse Diaries, #7)
  • The Vampire Diaries #4
  • Evenfall
  • The Original Vampire Diaries: Count Dracula
  • Her Vampire Husband (Wicked Games, #3)
  • Vampirträume (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #12)
  • Ransom (Redemption, #2)
I have a new blog about my Vampire Diaries fanfic.

L.J. SMITH, Lisa Jane Smith, is the New York Times #1 Bestselling author of The Vampire Diaries, The Secret Circle, The Forbidden Game, Dark Visions, Wildworld and Night World series. She has written over two dozen books for children and young adults, and has enjoyed writing every one of them. She lives in th
More about L.J. Smith...

The Vampire Diaries (5 books)
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries, #2)
  • The Fury (The Vampire Diaries, #3)
  • Dark Reunion (The Vampire Diaries, #4)
  • The Vampire Diaries: Blood Will Tell (The Vampire Diaries: Extras, #4.5)
The Awakening and The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries, #1-2) Night World, No. 3 (Night World, #7-9) Origins (The Vampire Diaries: Stefan's Diaries, #1) Night World, No. 2 (Night World, #4-6) Night World, No. 1 (Night World, #1-3)