Girl Comics

Girl Comics

3.11 of 5 stars 3.11  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Marvel is proud to bring you a celebration of amazing women in comics with a brand-new anthology created entirely by the most talented and exciting women working in comics today, including Ann Nocenti (DAREDEVIL), Amanda Conner (Power Girl), Laura Martin (SECRET INVASION), G. Willow Wilson (Air), Devin Grayson (Nightwing), Stephanie Buscema (WEB OF SPIDER-MAN), and more! W...more
Published March 23rd 2011 by Marvel (first published September 1st 2010)

Nicolo Yu
This is a charming project Marvel presented in a three issue miniseries and collected in this hardcover. It features the comic books industry’s top female creators on their top female characters. It is a great line-up, featuring a mix of A-list creators and up and coming indie newcomers. The collection evokes a mix of nostalgia and edgy underground feel. It is a great book to have just to see Louise Simonson and June Brigman work on their original creation Power Pack again, Colleen Coover’s retr...more
Callie Rose Tyler
I really wanted this to not be terrible but it kind of was.

First off, this collection is not based on female superheroes as the title led me to believe, it actually focuses on the fact that everyone in this collection who wrote/illustrated/edited/etc. was female. (This isn’t completely true but close enough)

These stories are very short and vary in art style and subject matter. Scattered throughout the book, between the stories are biographies of influential and successful female Marvel writers...more
Holden Attradies
I was unsure what to expect when I picked this up. My past experiences with comic anthologies have not been good, and I was a little afraid that the potential feminist tone of the book would come off as to obnoxious.

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked this. Don't get me wrong, half the stories in here were not even worth reading, but that's par the course of anthology's. It was MUCH better than the other comic anthologies I've read which tended to have at the most only ONE story I fel...more
Lee
This comic led me to question why there aren't many women working in the comics industry. I used to believe it was due to sexism or cultural influences, but now, as terrible as it sounds, I'm starting to question whether women just tend to be shit at comics.

Because Girl Comics is a terrible collection of stories. I can think of only three out of all of them that were actually enjoyable to read. And sadly, they were some of the shortest stories as well.

If you want to see good comics done by wom...more
kim
eh, all the comics were just a couple pages long, so none of them really had room to develop. some of them were good, others were bleh. i liked that they added profiles of females who helped build the comics industry, but as it's not personally a big interest of mine, it didn't add much to my experience. all and all, nice to have something that features female comic book authors, but otherwise not spectacular.
Shaun
A collection of shorts by women creators at Marvel. There's a lot of really good stuff in here and a couple of incomprehensible pieces. There's also a handful of spotlights on women creators who worked for Marvel from the 60s to the 90s. Good stuff!
John
Maybe a dozen readable pages in this whole crap-fest. Too bad.
Lani
I'm glad I got this for cheap, and for the $7 for a hardcover, I'll consider it a good deal. But I would have been pretty annoyed if I'd paid the usual $20 for a trade.

Given the price, this was an impulse buy, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm trying to find super hero comics that I can get into, and the cover of this one made me smile. It turns out this isn't exactly what I expected - I had thought it was something of an ensemble super hero comic not a group of short stories created by women...more
Rachel
Women writers, artists, and editors are given the chance to shine in this anthology of creative comics. While they are not limited to female characters from the Marvel universe many chose to focus on them, and they only benefit from this, being decidedly more true to the gender than usual. Neither are they limited to a style or medium, often departing from the classical types used in comics, some examples include: watercolours, a cute and childlike style, and a more cartoonish type. Many are abo...more
Marsha
Featuring so many wonderful stories about female superheroes of the Marvelverse—their unique problems, desires and conversations—this is one fine and fantastic collection. You’re bound to have your favorites, as you’re bound to have your favorite ladies.

The book also contains lovely pictures of these ladies that amount almost to pin-up posters. I’ve got no objection to that; like many comic characters, the women are often extremely attractive. Why not flaunt it? However, there’s a really lubrici...more
Emelda
Picked it up on a whim. It was ok.
Rosa
Varies a lot, but what's good is quite.
I thought this was a really fun collection. It had a good mix of stories - some funny, some darker. A lot of the comics made me laugh out loud. There was also some really terrific art. It was neat that they included profiles of women who were important in the earlier years of marvel.
Matt
I loved the idea and some of the mini-stories included (like Logan and a grown-up Jubilee having a drink) were great character and tone pieces. But a lot of it also couldn't help but feel like tokenism and/or "girls just like relationships and playing house." I'd read more any time if it would let female creators free to make whatever they actually are interested in.
Nazary
A good book if you're interested in the history of Women workers at Marvel Comics, but not much else.
The stories are boring and sometimes barely make sense. Instead of a series of stories showcasing some of their best female heroines its just a collection of odd ball stories thrown together by writer/arists teams that happen to be female.
SA
Most of this was ridiculous, but there were some gems in there. Even with Grayson at the helm, there's just not that much I can appreciate about this title aimed at "girls." Do better.
Michelle
As with an anthology, it's a mixed bag. Some good, some bad. This is mostly filler. It's great to read the articles on women who worked at Marvel.
I really liked this TPB but sometimes the descriptions of the people seemed like they went on and on. But It was a great comic just the same.
Tom
A bit hit and miss for me. Some great art and some interesting stories. Felt more like a Whitmans sampler than what I really like.
Wolverina
The stories are very hit and miss. The hits are well worth it I guess.

Also too many stories all about the men. Sadness.
S
The mark is more for the art than the fairly average writing.
Brittany Reynolds
Brittany Reynolds marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Althea P
Althea P marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Ebony Filer
Ebony Filer marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Sarah Mcdyer
Sarah Mcdyer marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Ta'ni
Ta'ni marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Rachael Graham
Rachael Graham marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Trina Robbins is an American comics artist and writer. She was an early and influential participant in the underground comix movement, and one of the few female artists in underground comix when she started. Her first comics were printed in the East Village Other. She later joined the staff of a feminist underground newspaper It Ain't Me, Babe, with whom she produced the first all-woman comic book...more
More about Trina Robbins...
From Girls to Grrrlz: A History of Female Comics from Teens to Zines Lily Renee, Escape Artist: From Holocaust Survivor to Comic Book Pioneer Eternally Bad: Goddesses with Attitude The Drained Brains Caper A Match Made in Heaven (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #8)