Start by marking “Girl Comics” as Want to Read:
Girl Comics

Girl Comics

Marvel is proud to bring you a celebration of amazing women in comics with a brand-new anthology created entirely by the most talented and exciting women working in comics today, including Ann Nocenti (DAREDEVIL), Amanda Conner (Power Girl), Laura Martin (SECRET INVASION), G. Willow Wilson (Air), Devin Grayson (Nightwing), Stephanie Buscema (WEB OF SPIDER-MAN), and more! W ...more
Published March 23rd 2011 by Marvel (first published September 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Girl Comics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl Comics

Nicolo Yu
This is a charming project Marvel presented in a three issue miniseries and collected in this hardcover. It features the comic books industry’s top female creators on their top female characters. It is a great line-up, featuring a mix of A-list creators and up and coming indie newcomers. The collection evokes a mix of nostalgia and edgy underground feel. It is a great book to have just to see Louise Simonson and June Brigman work on their original creation Power Pack again, Colleen Coover’s retr ...more
Joseph
*Shallow Comic Reader Buddy Read* Books with female leads

description

Hmm. This was interesting. A collection of shorts entirely by female creators, featuring Marvel characters.

Some of these made sense. Others didn't.

Some were cute. Others weren't.

The best part were the biographies of female pioneers in the comics world.

Not sure I can really recommend this to anyone, but it's a short read if you have some time to spare.
Callie Rose Tyler
I really wanted this to not be terrible but it kind of was.

First off, this collection is not based on female superheroes as the title led me to believe, it actually focuses on the fact that everyone in this collection who wrote/illustrated/edited/etc. was female. (This isn’t completely true but close enough)

These stories are very short and vary in art style and subject matter. Scattered throughout the book, between the stories are biographies of influential and successful female Marvel writers
Olivia
Sep 10, 2014 Olivia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well the title misled me as to what this collection was. I thought it was based on female superheroes; instead, it highlights that everyone who worked on this book was female. I am all about girl power, but it's just very disappointing that this was as awful as it was. While there were a few art covers that were lovely, there was no story to accompany them. The rest of the art was cartoon-y to the point of childishness, but of course, this was the artwork that had the "plots." There was no actio ...more
Lee
Oct 27, 2011 Lee rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This comic led me to question why there aren't many women working in the comics industry. I used to believe it was due to sexism or cultural influences, but now, as terrible as it sounds, I'm starting to question whether women just tend to be shit at comics.

Because Girl Comics is a terrible collection of stories. I can think of only three out of all of them that were actually enjoyable to read. And sadly, they were some of the shortest stories as well.

If you want to see good comics done by wom
Holden Attradies
Sep 28, 2011 Holden Attradies rated it liked it
I was unsure what to expect when I picked this up. My past experiences with comic anthologies have not been good, and I was a little afraid that the potential feminist tone of the book would come off as to obnoxious.

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked this. Don't get me wrong, half the stories in here were not even worth reading, but that's par the course of anthology's. It was MUCH better than the other comic anthologies I've read which tended to have at the most only ONE story I fel
kim
Oct 07, 2011 kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
eh, all the comics were just a couple pages long, so none of them really had room to develop. some of them were good, others were bleh. i liked that they added profiles of females who helped build the comics industry, but as it's not personally a big interest of mine, it didn't add much to my experience. all and all, nice to have something that features female comic book authors, but otherwise not spectacular.
Kristin Boldon
I wanted to love this collection by and about women creators. The mini bios of women who worked for Marvel and Colleen Coover's illlustrations were my favorite part, but the stories themselves were too often focused on romance or were stories about male characters. Many of the stories didn't pass the Bechdel test, and that's pretty weird for a book that's supposed to celebrate the female characters of Marvel.
Shaun
Apr 09, 2011 Shaun rated it liked it
A collection of shorts by women creators at Marvel. There's a lot of really good stuff in here and a couple of incomprehensible pieces. There's also a handful of spotlights on women creators who worked for Marvel from the 60s to the 90s. Good stuff!
John
Oct 25, 2010 John rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe a dozen readable pages in this whole crap-fest. Too bad.
Wolverina
The stories are very hit and miss. The hits are well worth it I guess.

Also too many stories all about the men. Sadness.
Riley Blue
Dec 30, 2014 Riley Blue rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: awful, comics
What the fuck did I just read?

Lani
I'm glad I got this for cheap, and for the $7 for a hardcover, I'll consider it a good deal. But I would have been pretty annoyed if I'd paid the usual $20 for a trade.

Given the price, this was an impulse buy, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm trying to find super hero comics that I can get into, and the cover of this one made me smile. It turns out this isn't exactly what I expected - I had thought it was something of an ensemble super hero comic not a group of short stories created by women
Ronald
Jan 16, 2016 Ronald rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I really really really wanted to like this comic collection. The comic industry needs to spend less time getting in the way of female creators and let them make good comics. This was what is promised in the blurb about this collection. We should see the best of the best made by female creators. Now do not get me wrong several of these stories are excellent and some of the better comics I have seen.
But the first story in the collection stars a male character saving a damsel in distress - this is
Rachel
Women writers, artists, and editors are given the chance to shine in this anthology of creative comics. While they are not limited to female characters from the Marvel universe many chose to focus on them, and they only benefit from this, being decidedly more true to the gender than usual. Neither are they limited to a style or medium, often departing from the classical types used in comics, some examples include: watercolours, a cute and childlike style, and a more cartoonish type. Many are abo ...more
Marsha
Featuring so many wonderful stories about female superheroes of the Marvelverse—their unique problems, desires and conversations—this is one fine and fantastic collection. You’re bound to have your favorites, as you’re bound to have your favorite ladies.

The book also contains lovely pictures of these ladies that amount almost to pin-up posters. I’ve got no objection to that; like many comic characters, the women are often extremely attractive. Why not flaunt it? However, there’s a really lubrici
Jacqueline Mudge-Cooke
This book can be a bit of confusing piece now looking at it with more comic books from marvel under my belt. I think what the book was going for and what it had given were not the same thing. From looking at the cover, you expect to be reading comics of marvel's ladies. Instead it was more of comics created by women that are in the comic book industry, regardless if they work for marvel or not.

This book is more like a nod to women who have created comics past and present. Which is enjoyable how
Eric
Feb 01, 2015 Eric rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was pretty disappointed in this volume. Marvel has employed some great female talents, and I expected them to be showcased here. Unfortunately, this collection failed to deliver. The vast majority of the stories seemed thrown together or lacking substance and with a few exceptions the artwork wasn't much better.
On a positive note, the single page biographies of key women in Marvel history included were interesting and worth reading if not much else was.
Faith
Jul 02, 2016 Faith rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a bad representation of women in comics...it basically sets out to prove what people already think, that women in comics are lame. Trina Robbins, a legend, has a story in this book, yet it is awful...why not put something savvier of hers' into the compilation? All of the stories lack any depth . The art is the only saving grace.
Nadia
Mar 06, 2015 Nadia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I really don't get why everyone is being so hard on this book, I thought it was a fun anthology in the spirit of Marvel's Strange Tales(and it actually had a better ratio of decent vs unreadable stuff than either of those collections.) Some were better than others which happens in any collection but it definitely wasn't awful.
Robin Graber
Honestly, I was excepting something way different. I knew it was more focused on female creators, which is why I picked it up. But I just also expected stories of the female heroes saving the men or being better than the men. But it really had no action in it. So just not really what I wanted. The bios on the female creators were really interesting though, and some of the stories I really liked.
Matt
Aug 03, 2012 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the idea and some of the mini-stories included (like Logan and a grown-up Jubilee having a drink) were great character and tone pieces. But a lot of it also couldn't help but feel like tokenism and/or "girls just like relationships and playing house." I'd read more any time if it would let female creators free to make whatever they actually are interested in.
Nazary
Jan 18, 2011 Nazary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A good book if you're interested in the history of Women workers at Marvel Comics, but not much else.
The stories are boring and sometimes barely make sense. Instead of a series of stories showcasing some of their best female heroines its just a collection of odd ball stories thrown together by writer/arists teams that happen to be female.
Jun 12, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I thought this was a really fun collection. It had a good mix of stories - some funny, some darker. A lot of the comics made me laugh out loud. There was also some really terrific art. It was neat that they included profiles of women who were important in the earlier years of marvel.
S
The mark is more for the art than the fairly average writing.
Michelle
Dec 21, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it
As with an anthology, it's a mixed bag. Some good, some bad. This is mostly filler. It's great to read the articles on women who worked at Marvel.
Nov 11, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this TPB but sometimes the descriptions of the people seemed like they went on and on. But It was a great comic just the same.
Emelda
May 09, 2014 Emelda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Picked it up on a whim. It was ok.
SA
Aug 20, 2012 SA rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2012, 2016
Most of this was ridiculous, but there were some gems in there. Even with Grayson at the helm, there's just not that much I can appreciate about this title aimed at "girls." Do better.
Tom
Jan 08, 2011 Tom rated it liked it
A bit hit and miss for me. Some great art and some interesting stories. Felt more like a Whitmans sampler than what I really like.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Gingerbread Girl
  • Power Girl, Volume 3: Bomb Squad
  • Hulk: Season One
  • Who Is AC?
  • Tiny Titans, Volume 4: The First Rule of Pet Club...
  • Huntress: Year One
  • Astonishing X-Men, Volume 12: Unmasked
  • Spider-Man: Black Cat
  • Secret Warriors, Volume 5: Night
  • Womanthology: Heroic
  • Howard the Duck, Volume 0: What the Duck?
  • Power Girl, Vol. 2: Aliens and Apes
  • She-Hulk, Volume 4: Laws of Attraction
  • Takio
Colleen Coover is an acclaimed illustrator and comic book artist/writer. She is fond of cheese, and despises the color purple (the actual hue, not the movie or the book. They're OK, she guesses, if a bit schlocky.) You can learn more about Colleen at http://www.colleencoover.net

Most of my Goodreads reviews are probably going to be of books I really really liked and want to recommend to others. Mos
More about Colleen Coover...