Start by marking “Revenge of the Lawn Gnomes (Classic Goosebumps #19)” as Want to Read:
Revenge of the Lawn Gnomes (Classic Goosebumps #19)

Revenge of the Lawn Gnomes (Classic Goosebumps #19)

3.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,459 Ratings  ·  99 Reviews
Get Goosebumps with the startling repackage of a best selling classic. Now with bonus materials!

Two pink flamingos. A whole family of plaster skunks. Joe Burton's dad loves those tacky lawn ornaments. But then he brings home two ugly lawn gnomes. And that's when the trouble starts.
Late at night, When everyone's asleep.
Someone's creeping in the garden. Whispering nasty thi
Published April 1st 2011 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Revenge of the Lawn Gnomes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Revenge of the Lawn Gnomes

Carmen
Oct 23, 2015 Carmen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No One
Okay, based on this book and the previous The Horror at Camp Jellyjam, I have to conclude that Stine has lost his mind.

Joe is 12 - a goofball, prankster, and general brat. His sister, Mindy, age 14, super-organized. Also rather a brat. Stine has a really hard time creating likable children, I've noticed. Moose is Joe's huge, very physical and energetic best friend. Moose's dad and Joe's dad are next door neighbors who are engaged in a "garden war" involving competing rather seriously as to who c
Rebecca McNutt
Jul 27, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my god.

This book was hilarious, I remember reading it when my parents got our family car stuck on top of Kelly's Mountain in Cape Breton. I was in the third grade at the time, and my dad had bought my sister and I each a Goosebumps book. This one made us both laugh a lot, and though I consider it to be really dorky now that I'm an adult, it's still nostalgic to re-read it and I hope that other kids get the chance to read it. :)
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Αυτό το βιβλίο είναι η απόδειξη πως ο Stine κάπου στην πορεία των "Ανατριχίλων", βαρέθηκε τη ζωή του... Δεν μπορώ να εξηγήσω διαφορετικά για ποιο λόγο να δέχτηκε να κυκλοφορήσει το συγκεκριμένο βιβλίο που είναι μακράν από τα χειρότερά του. Είπαμε, παιδική λογοτεχνία τρόμου, αλλά οι συγκεκριμένοι νάνοι που ζωντανεύουν τη νύχτα και πολτοποιούν τομάτες, δεν θα τρόμαζαν ούτε το κουνέλι μου.
Storm Arashi
Oct 27, 2015 Storm Arashi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was bored and needing some nostalgia so I wound up listening to this on audibook..... Took me back to childhood when I was sitting on my couch late at night reading these books. I loved that the narrators all had different voices and that were was even music scores. Added to it if you ask me. Not as scary as I remember it but it was still a fun experience.
Jacob Hablewitz
Personal Response

This was a very mind blowing story written by R.L. Stine. The twists of the characters actions always kept my mind racing and thinking about what was going to happen next. I enjoyed reading this book. It was a shorter book, but still used more complex words making it more interesting. My friend recommended that I read this book, so I took the opportunity.

Summary

Joe was just like any other boy. He liked fun and was always getting into mischief. His dog named Buster was anothe
Danny
Dec 01, 2010 Danny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comfort-books
Ahhh, the Goosebump days. I would borrow so many of these from the library they seriously considered extending my limit of books checked out at one time. R.L. Stine you were a reprieve from a harsh and dreary childhood in which my mind wandered far away from the troubles of the day. I stole books into my bed and read far into the night by the faintest of lights. I might have better eyesight were it not for you; however, I regret not one page or line.
Tracey
Jul 10, 2014 Tracey rated it really liked it
You don't trust dolls or lawn ornaments or mannequins or puppets that come to life. I mean, NEVER! That shit creeps me out to the max.
Sarah Marie
2.5 stars. I feel very neutral on this one. Review to come.
Connie
Source: I read this book online.
Cost: Free

Title: Revenge of the Lawn Gnomes
Series: Goosebumps #34
Author: RL Stine
Overall Rating: 2 stars

It's a no from me.

Lawn Gnomes? That are evil? No, they aren't evil, they're painted porcelain that aren't in the slightest bit scary, in this book, they didn't even do anything evil! They just became like little poltergeists and just reeked mischief. This book was not scary or creepy, it was just a meh book with meh storyline.

Not for me I'm afraid.
Josiah
Oct 29, 2012 Josiah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One thing that has long impressed me about R.L. Stine is the variety of descriptions he gives for the characters in his stories. No two people are ever described in quite the same way in the Goosebumps books; they're tall, rail-thin and wear all pink, making them look like a flamingo, or are the only short, pudgy, dark-haired member of their family surrounded by tall, skinny blondes, or they have any of a practically endless variety of other characteristics that allow the reader to clearly and ...more
Jinbin
Nov 02, 2008 Jinbin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: advisory08-09
Joe and Mindy's father bought home two lawn gnomes and named then Hap and Chip from the lawn ornament store. Something strange starts to happen after they bring home the gnomes. Their neighbor, Mr. McCall's casaba melons are smashed, his car is covered with black paint, all the troubles begin to happen. Later, Joe suspects all the troubles are caused by the two gnomes. However, no one believes him when he tries to inform them that the gnomes are alive. Joe attempts to convince his friend Moose a ...more
Kayla Anderson
May 05, 2013 Kayla Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I give this book 4 stars because it was the first chapter book I ever read. I remember going into the library and the librarian was showing all of the older grades the new Goosebumps series they got in. I wanted so badly to read one, but she would only allow certain grades to check these out. She did make an exception for me and had me read the first couple of pages to her for proof that I could read it (it was above my reading level, of course).

I was ecstatic when she let me check the book out!
David Santos
Oct 24, 2011 David Santos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I almost did not read this. I started reading it but the Moose character seemed...how can I say this nicely...stupid! And compared to other characters he was! Poorly written. The story is kind of typical for all Goosebumps books. The parents never believe their child when he tells them the Gnomes are alive. Spending the next few chapters trying to convince and prove. It was good to see what the gnomes were going to do next, but I skipped the interaction between the son and parents, because its a ...more
Lindsay
Aug 01, 2015 Lindsay rated it liked it
After seeing the trailer for the upcoming movie Goosebumps (which looks really cool) I was going to read all the Goosebumps books. But that's a lot of books. So I just picked this one because I always wanted a lawn gnome. Kind of got off to a slow start and the characters were annoying, but kids would probably enjoy it.
Christian Serdon
This was also an amazing book of the Goosebumps franchise. And like The Girl Who Cried Monster, this slapped the shit outta me.

And yes, I actually debated myself back then what is the correct pronunciation of 'gnome', and I realized it was awesome and I researched words that have the same rule.

Well, the gnomes are actually moving when nighttime comes and they do shitty things that only the three (If I am correct the protagonists are three in here) protagonists can observe and see and so they con
Bryce Behn
Jan 16, 2013 Bryce Behn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book "Revenge of the Lawn Gnomes" was a great book! I love these books because they're supposed to be scary, but to me they're funny. I would recommend this book to younger children looking for a good, scary read. I really enjoyed this book because it was a pretty easy read for me. My favorite character was Moose. Moose was a funny character; kind of reminds me of my friend, Mason. Moose likes to rough house with people and play a lot of pranks on them. The other character's name is Joe. He ...more
Karri
My son asked me to read this book because he had really enjoyed it. I complied because I have noticed that when I take his recommendations seriously he seems to engage more as a reader. It wasn't as bad as I expected, but I am really hoping his next recommendation is NOT a Goosebumps!
Donald Armfield
Aug 23, 2012 Donald Armfield rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Lawn gnomes always looked cool to me. Hanging out on a persons lawn with their pointy hats and beards. One day I hope to have a house with lawn gnomes.

Joe's summer has begun and something is causung mischief in his yard and the neighbors yard. After getting grounded for "not painting faces on the neighbors melons, growing in his garden" Joe and his best friend goes out in the middle of the night and find out who is squashing gardens.

The end is suspenseful with over one hundred lawn gnomes chant
✿ℎazℯℓ - thℯ ℛock Cℎick ℱairy✿
Not the best of the series, but still is an entertaining read!
I'm 26 and I still enjoy these books! ;)
Aurora Dimitre
This was one of my favorites growing up, right after the Monster Blood series and The Horror at Camp Jellyjam (which I'm reading tomorrow, so AHAHA BEAUTY), and I'm not sure why. Maybe because I just liked the weird ones. Maybe because I liked the ones that were the most disliked because of 'unlikable protagonists' and 'sports??!?' and, in the case of this one, 'the main villain is lawn gnomes. lawn. gnomes.'

But I liked it! Even as a (technical) adult, I enjoyed it. I've realized that I'm readin
Isaac Danke
Jan 14, 2013 Isaac Danke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Revenge of the Lawn Gnomes" is the best and greatest book I have ever read in my entire lifetime. This story has to be the best "Goosebumps" book R.L. Stine has ever written. It's about two lawn gnomes that come to life when nobody is watching. The main character, Moose, sees the gnomes moving and creates a plan to catch them! I would recommend this book to almost anyone, because it will hook you into the story very early on and it is a very easy read.
Maggie Gordon
RL Stine was having another questionably fueled inspiration day when he wrote this book. There are lawn gnomes that come alive at night to make mischief. The main conflict in the book is that the gnomes are destroying the gardens of two competing neighbours, and poor old main character Joe gets blamed. Also, everyone thinks he's crazy cause he blames it on gnomes. Joe stays up one night to catch the gnomes in action, and because 12 year olds are gullible, he, his sister, and his best friend wand ...more
Jaimie Engle
Dec 17, 2015 Jaimie Engle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Goosebumps book after seeing the movie and I really enjoyed it. The storytelling was great and fun to enjoy with my eight-year-old. It was a little scary, but done in such a way that the tension was offset with humor and ridiculousness. We will definitely be picking up more books in the Goosebumps family.
Glenn
Oct 09, 2013 Glenn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Currently rereading my original Goosebumps collection

This book was too formulaic, and not in a good way. It had the same false cliffhangers from previous books, and it just wasn't that scary or interesting. Not a very memorable entry in the Goosebumps canon.

Read from October 9, 2013 - October 9, 2013
Andy Simmons
Mar 14, 2016 Andy Simmons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun piece of nonsense.

I've been meaning to read an R. L. Stine Goosebumps book since I saw the recent film (which is really good). I enjoyed gnomes in the film so I read their story.

This is a pretty short book and obviously written for the younger market. As an adult, I still enjoyed it as I knew what to expect.

I thought the characters were very well presented with realistic dialogue and the conflict between the main protagonist and his sister that was well presented.

The story is simpl
Lacey Pyle
Mar 24, 2016 Lacey Pyle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
I have not read much of the Goosebumps series before but this was a very funny read! I didn't find it to be super spooky but more funny. I think a child would find it spooky and funny though!

The version I read had little illustrations through out the book which made it an interesting read! I loved having the small illustrations because they helped bring some of the words to life! I also loved the cover of the book! It was bright and colorful which caught my eye from the choices at the library!
Tyrell Warner
One of the weaker Goosebumps books but still good for a laugh or two. The use of lawn gnomes as malevolent entities was a strange and somewhat unpredictable choice but the plot is as predictable as they come for teen/youth horror.
Jessie Radford
This book will forever make children and adults a like look at lawn ornaments differently. The next time your in the yard and something isn't where you left it you better check to make sure they yard gnome hasn't left it's place.
Drucilla
May 26, 2012 Drucilla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goosebumps
It's a really neat premise and I didn't find any of the characters annoying. Although, I am curious as to why the family didn't just put up a fence to keep the dog out of the neighbors yard.
Marts  (Thinker)
...don't trust lawn ornaments, you never know what they're up to...
  • Return of the Mummy (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #4)
  • The Extreme (Animorphs, #25)
  • Bruce Coville's Book of Ghosts: Tales to Haunt You
  • Uma Aventura Secreta

R. L. Stine b
More about R.L. Stine...

Classic Goosebumps (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7)
  • The Haunted Mask (Goosebumps, #11)
  • One Day at Horrorland (Goosebumps, #16)
  • The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (Goosebumps, #5)
  • The Werewolf of Fever Swamp (Goosebumps, #14)
  • The Scarecrow Walks at Midnight (Goosebumps, #20)
  • Return of the Mummy (Goosebumps, #23)
  • Vampire Breath (Goosebumps, #49)
  • Stay Out of the Basement  (Goosebumps, #2)
  • Night of the Living Dummy II (Goosebumps, #31)