Start by marking “Shakespeare: His Work and His World” as Want to Read:
Shakespeare: His Work and His World

Shakespeare: His Work and His World

The Bard’s enduring genius is both explained and explored for young readers—a perfect companion for both students and teachers of Shakespeare.

Tongue-tied. Dull as dishwater. Without rhyme or reason. Leapfrog. Excellent. Gloomy. These words and phrases, so much a part of our daily language, were coined by William Shakespeare more than four hundred years ago. In what other w
Published October 15th 2001 by Candlewick

Frogs
Nov 11, 2008 Frogs rated it it was amazing
I loved, loved, loved this book, front to back, top to bottom, inside to outside, backward and forward and even sideways. But then again, I love any book set in this time period. I wish I owned this book.
Victoria Moore
In the early 1980's, when I was attending San Francisco State University as a Psychology major, I was required to take Acting. Besides being the only African-American student in the class I was also the only non-actor, so I knew I had my work cut out for me, especially when it came to doing a scene from one of Shakespeare's plays. He was so intimidating to me I gave him a nickname, "Bobo Shay", and tried to further humanize him by making jokes about his writing and style. After stumbling ...more
Stephen Snyder
Oct 16, 2012 Stephen Snyder rated it it was amazing
"Shakesspear: His Work & His World" is such a wonderful way to introduce young adults to William Shakespeare. Michael Rosen's narrative writng coupled with Robert Ingpen's timeless illustrations beautifully blend together forming a mighty tapestry giving young people a much deeper understanding and, yes, a deepr appreciation of the literary giant known as William Shakespeare. By reading this book, young adults will come to understand the times in which Shakespeare lived and how it influenced ...more
Morgan
Oct 20, 2012 Morgan rated it really liked it
This is an illustrated biography of William Shakespeare for a young audience.

The artwork, by Robert Ingpen, is striking and wonderful. Each illustration, especially the two page spreads place emphasis on not only the works of the famous playwright, but on the dark and tumultous times in which he lived.

Michael Rosen paints a picture of a maddening sixteenth century world, filled with fear and wonder, yet he clearly highlights the amazing accomplishments of said time period.

One of my favorite par
Sandi
Dec 02, 2007 Sandi rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
This authentic biography doubles as a history book. Rosen precedes documentation of Shakespeare’s life and works with a description of the social, political, and religious world of England in the mid 1500’s. Throughout, the beautiful illustrations by Hans Christian Andersen medal winner Robert Ingpen complete the narrative. The straightforward text with definitions of unusual words helps young readers gain a beginning appreciation of the art of the world’s most famous playwright. Students ...more
Kim Barth
Dec 10, 2012 Kim Barth rated it really liked it
This non-fiction book explains the life, historical context, and many works of William Shakespeare. The text is straightforward and would be accessible for middle to upper-grade readers (grades 4 and up). The book includes beautiful illustrations, and some of the text is "illuminated" as in an early manuscript from the time of Shakespeare. The book would work very well as part of a unit about Shakespeare for the elementary grades.
nicole
Apr 05, 2009 nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: mlis, 2009
required materials for ya read. a nice start to a guided inquiry lesson, but i feel it might be too young for bulk of ya readers (although allow for it to be considered such considering those kids might not like shakespeare as much as i did at that age).
Stacy
Mar 10, 2016 Stacy rated it really liked it
Read this aloud to the kids, and we all enjoyed it. This is a great book for understanding the world Shakespeare came from and highlights excerpts from his plays throughout.
Laura Gardner
Jul 26, 2008 Laura Gardner rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, nonfic, for-a-class
I really liked this overview of Shakespeare. The author does a great job of synthesizing why Shakespeare still matters today and what is so special about his plays. The pictures are beautiful, too!
Michele
May 25, 2008 Michele rated it really liked it
This is an elementary introduction to Shakespeare through a highly pictorial book. A good quick read.
Great for teen-agers..
Sally
Jul 20, 2009 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This beautifully illustrated book helps the "Shakespeare illiterate" grasp a better understanding of his plays and his life. Picked this up at the Shakespeare Bookstore in Stratford-Upon-Avon.
Ceraysha
Ceraysha rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2013
Nahirannette
Nahirannette rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2012
Joanna Mugglin
Joanna Mugglin rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2014
GraceAnne
GraceAnne rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2007
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2009
Cynthia Egbert
Cynthia Egbert rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2015
Michael Fitzgerald
Dec 11, 2015 Michael Fitzgerald rated it really liked it
Good introduction to Shakespeare, including several plays. Bad design and typography.
Tricia
Tricia rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2008
Helen
Helen rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2012
Thao
Thao rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2011
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2009
Heidi
Heidi rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2015
Maryrose
Maryrose rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2007
Taimi
Taimi rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2010
Anshuman Sinha
Anshuman Sinha rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2013
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2012
Pinky
Pinky rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2013
Kendrick
Kendrick rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2012
2059918
Michael Rosen, a recent British Children’s Laureate, has written many acclaimed books for children, including WE'RE GOING ON A BEAR HUNT, illustrated by Helen Oxenbury, and I’M NUMBER ONE and THIS IS OUR HOUSE, both illustrated by Bob Graham. Michael Rosen lives in London.

More about Michael Rosen...