Start by marking “Deadly Portfolio: A Killing in Hedge Funds” as Want to Read:
Deadly Portfolio: A Killing in Hedge Funds

Deadly Portfolio: A Killing in Hedge Funds

In his first novel, Deadly Portfolio: A Killing in Hedge Funds, John J. Hohn exhibits a mastery of plot and character development. Four families are drawn into a tragedy that claims three lives in their lakeside neighborhood. Detective James Raker, a widower struggling with his own grief, bucks his superiors when he concludes all three deaths are related. "Pelican Bay may ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published September 24th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Portfolio, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadly Portfolio

Spunky N Sassy
Feb 06, 2015 Spunky N Sassy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet N Sassy Book A Holics Rating: 4.0

~~~~~~~~~~Dee's ★★★★★ Review~~~~~~~~~~

First few chapters seemed to drag as they laid the foundation to understanding the financial mess that Morrie was facing. Personally, I have zero interest in the buying and selling of stocks or anything connected with Wall Street goings on. So it was a struggle to hang in there and not zone out. BUT I am so glad I persevered because as the story progressed, the interest, excitement, mystery and tension began to build an
Sarah Reads "Reading in Sarah's Corner"
What happens when the rich and snobby have a murder turn up at their backdoor?
I’ll tell you, you get a fun realist read. Author John Hohn wrote one of those books that you could relate to multiple characters. Each family had every day issues they are trying to resolve without everyone getting involved.

The beginning of this book was a little slow for me. I know the author was building the characters back stories. It was just a little long for me. And all the names that started with “M.” I loved
Babs
Nov 01, 2010 Babs rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mysteries
A fast paced, great read. The detective really makes the book come alive not to mention the 3 families that are involved. You won't get bored with this book it keeps you on your toes.
Michael
This is a novel that examines the lifestyle of wealthy, somewhat carefree society members and a greedy financial planner who places his own interests before that of his clients. Although it is a fictional story, it could have been taken from the events of current newspapers.

At age sixty-eight, Matt Wirth is ready for retirment. He has given much of the daily operation of his investment advisory business to his partner, Morrie Clay.

A client, Mac McAllister, with eighteen million dollars invested
Lauren Jones
Apr 03, 2015 Lauren Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This mystery novel is absolutely enticing! The story starts out with a drawn out explanation of what happened to the accounts and investments of multi-millionaire Allen McAllister and his wife, Rene McAllister. Matthew Wirth is the head of the brokerage firm holding the McAllister accounts and a good friend. With his retirement coming soon, he throws one last party in honor of his success and clientele on Independence Day. When Rene McAllister is found face down in the water the next day, everyo ...more
Cynthia
Jan 03, 2015 Cynthia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very fast paced, great read. The author makes the book come alive along with the families and their stories. You will get bored with this book it keeps you on your toes as the author spins a compelling tale of murder and drugs. Sometimes people are just to greedy and lives are lost. This story could be a true story taken right out of our news. It is very believable it wouldn’t be hard to picture this happen in today times.

People putting money where they shouldn’t, others signing names
Doris
Apr 09, 2016 Doris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*I was provided a complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review.

The love of money is the root of evil. You have heard something similar to this I am sure. In Hohn's Deadly Portfolio we see just how far into darkness the love of money can take someone.
I am not usually drawn to read books that have this much suspense in them, but I just couldn't turn away from reading it. I was not disappointed!
We start the book seeing that a large money family is pulling their business away from the firm an
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
Detective James Raker is called to investigate the vandalism to car never thinking the case would go beyond that point. When he and fellow officer are called to investigate a drowning of a woman which is ruled accidental until Raker finds out it's something more. Monica Clay loves her life the way it is until her husband Morrie tells her disturbing news. Monica is overwhelmed and frustrated with her husband. Why does Detective Raker's investigation keep circling back to one person? How will Moni ...more
Carol
Sep 25, 2011 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hohn starts us out quickly knowing who is the murderer and also how the murdered happened. The author then takes us through 10 days following the murder to experience emotions of common people as their lives are changed. Hohn takes us into the intricacies of friendships, desire and the feeling of desperation when caught in the middle of a never-intended situation. While I knew up front who was the murderer and how the murdered occurred, I found myself engrossed in turning the pages to find out h ...more
Beth
Mar 01, 2011 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog-review, reviews
Originally published at http://www.bethsbookreviews.com/2011/...

Received from the publisher for review.

This one gets three stars. It was an interesting story but a bit on the long side. The dialogue also felt a bit off to me. The characters weren't exactly likable but they felt real. Overall this was a solid first novel from the author that should be the beginning of a nice career. I'd recommend this to those who enjoy legal type mysteries such as a John Grisham, as the style feels very similar.
Crystal
Sep 20, 2011 Crystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall this book was very enjoyable. It was very heavy in the police- work aspect, which I like in a book. It definitely kept me guessing with what would happen next even though the killer was revealed fairly early on.

My only really real complaints are that there were quite a few typos and syntax problems. Also at times the writing was confusing. It seemed like the author was trying to write it like a screenplay only without directions in between scenes.

Other than those few minor issues, the bo
Kasey Dixon
Jul 29, 2013 Kasey Dixon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How far would you go to cover up something that you had done, if you knew it was wrong? In this tale of deception, scheming and murder, you’ll see that some people are willing to go pretty far just so that they don’t have to admit that they could have been wrong. When motivated by greed, the need to hide the truth and a desire to deceive, there’s no telling what they’ll do to get money and to protect what they already have.
Pyxipyro
Sep 17, 2011 Pyxipyro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I really liked this story! It had murder, mystery and a dash of interesting forensics. The police work was strongly present throughout book, which help keeps it flowing nicely and the whole story kept you guessing on what was happening. The characters are intriguing and good to get to sympathize with their personality. I love all the details throughout the story. Definitely a good story to read.
Chelsea Reid
Jun 27, 2013 Chelsea Reid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The characters in Deadly Portfolio: a Killing in Hedge Funds were so well developed that by the end of the book I felt like they could have been people in my neighborhood or family friends that I was going to see at the next barbecue. It was hard not to judge the characters while I had to wait for everything to play out and see what would happen next. John’s first book is a definite hit, and I can’t wait to see if he’ll be back for more!
Elise
Jun 12, 2013 Elise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a mysterious thriller that will keep readers excited when they follow the musings of detective James Rake as he tries to uncover a killer. When secrets come to light about the privileged people that fill society’s ranks, readers will be shocked about the way the plot turns in this story of financial deception. As detective Rake gets pulled into a race against the clock, will he be able to stop a killer from striking again?
Perry Bason
Jul 10, 2013 Perry Bason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author knows his STUFF! Deadly Portfolio is a gripping financial thriller with all of the makings for a fantastic, edge of your seat mystery. I usually take this to be a cliche but I ultimately could not put it down. You are missing out if you don’t pick up a copy of this book. Take my word for it.
Sam
Jul 17, 2013 Sam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dramatic irony is used in this book to keep us trying to figure out how the connections are made by the characters in the story. We already know what’s going to happen and are not surprised, however trying to figure out how, exactly, the characters figure out what’s going on is a thriller in and of itself.
Christina
Aug 04, 2013 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deadly Portfolio was a book that kept me guessing what was on the next page. In a tale that combines financial risk, murder and mystery, readers will love trying to figure out what’s going to happen. This thriller is a great read for anybody who’s looking for an exciting novel to keep them busy during a long weekend of summer vacation.
Zaw
Aug 22, 2013 Zaw rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great story about crime in the places that you’d least expect it. Whodunnit meets high-class...and nobody knows who’s guilty. John writes a great story that keeps his readers guessing about who the killer might be until the very last page. An awesome book that will keep you reading until you find out what’s really going on.
Danielle
Jun 28, 2013 Danielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ending of this book had me shocked! The buildup was great, and John Hohn clearly used his knowledge of the field in order to write a compelling, believable story that sucked me in from the very first pace. But I never could have predicted the way that the book ended, even though I raced through the book to get there!
Emily Williams
Jul 19, 2011 Emily Williams rated it it was amazing
I'm intrigued by stories of power and greed and this is action packed. The story has suspense and knowing the author's background as a former financial adviser gives this book a good grip on the realities of this cut throat business. So far so good.
Landon
Oct 25, 2013 Landon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a gripping page-turner! I had absolutely no idea what was going to happen next. This book will definitely keep readers on the edge of their seat trying to guess who the culprit is. A riveting thriller, I couldn't put this novel down.
Chrislin
Sep 30, 2011 Chrislin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that will defenatly keep you guessing and reading in till the book is done you can alsotell that the writer knows what he is talking about without going over your head with so much detailI received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads
Yy
Sep 20, 2011 Yy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I won this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. Hope to read it soon. Thanks.
David Lindbergh
Oct 16, 2011 David Lindbergh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story with a superb ending. Only distraction was numerous grammatical errors.
Melissa
I won this from goodreads.com
Gabriel Galvez
Gabriel Galvez rated it it was ok
Oct 04, 2013
John Hohn
John Hohn rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2011
Raza Ali
Raza Ali rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2013
John
John rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2015