The Adventures of Sir Gawain the True (Knights' Tales, #3)

The Adventures of Sir Gawain the True (Knights' Tales #3)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  247 ratings  ·  61 reviews
In the third installment in the Knights’ Tales series, Gerald Morris tells the laugh-outloud tale of King Arthur’s most celebrated knight, and nephew, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. With lively illustrations by Aaron Renier, Morris creates a captivating and comical medieval world that teems with humor and wonder.

This chapter book is sure to set young readers on another r...more
Published April 18th 2011 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2011)

Okay for Now by Gary D. SchmidtA Monster Calls by Patrick NessWonderstruck by Brian SelznickDivergent by Veronica RothInside Out & Back Again by Thanhha Lai
Newbery 2012
62nd out of 167 books — 662 voters
City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterDead Reckoning by Charlaine HarrisClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareAngel by James Patterson
The "Can't Wait" Books of 2011
345th out of 625 books — 1,841 voters

More lists with this book...

Brandy Painter
Originally posted here.

I read Gerald Morris's The Squire's Tale a couple of years ago. While I didn't dislike the experience, I wasn't wowed by it either. I have recommended the series to others I thought might enjoy it but I haven't been inclined to continue it myself. When I heard Morris was writing another Arthurian series for younger readers I was interested to see how he would do writing for a younger audience. Sir Gawain the True is the most recent book in The Knights' Tales. I enjoyed qui...more
Arthurian Lucre
The rating should be actually higher and it isn't only because I rated it in relation to the other two books of the serie. Ad for the others, this novel is funny, short and entertaining. It' s a revisitation of the Green knight story where Gawain has to finallly learn how to be corteous. I really liked the reason behind the Green knight existence because it was new and made the story quite coherent at the end and while I appreciated the middle and the beginning of the book I didn't find it as fu...more
David
The Adventures of Sir Gawain the True (Knights' Tales #3) by Gerald Morris, illustrated by Aaron Renier is the comical chapter book telling of the story of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.

Morris tells the humorous tale of King Arthur’s most celebrated knight, and nephew, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, creating a captivating and comical medieval world.

The story begins with Sir Gawain rescuing a damsel from a dragon, then refusing to accept her token, or a kiss, and riding off and leaving her in...more
Candy
What is a vow? In olden days, vows were promises that were never broken. Knights made them to their lords, lords to their kings, and kings to their peoples. But is their more to chivalry than just being able to keep your promises? How important is courtesy? Sir Gawain the True takes a look at one knight's lesson in just what it means not only to be a knight but to also be a friend.

The book combines several legends into one complete tale. The story is broken up into very easy to read chapters th...more
A Book Vacation
This is a great coming on age novel for middle grade readers, and it is most enjoyable. The novel is illustrated, which helps bring the story to life right on the page. Yet, the illustrations do not overpower the imagination of the reader; they are tastefully done and evenly interspersed.

Any MG readers interested in the knights of the realm, or historical mythology in general, will enjoy this story. The storyline flows easily and each chapter offers humorous insight and action, all leading up to...more
Sue Morris
Sir Gawain the Undefeated is riding comfortably upon his horse when he hears the shrieks of a damsel in distress. A dragon with fiery breath has captured the fair maiden. Sir Gawain fights off the dragon, saving the damsel. No longer in distress, Sir Gawain decides the she no longer needs his assistance and begins to ride off. The damsel is so thankful that she wants to give Sir Gawain her treasured green sash. He refuses to accept. She then offers a kiss on the check, simply to say thank you. A...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jaglvr for TeensReadToo.com

Gerald Morris' THE KNIGHTS' TALES are a fun way to escape for a few hours. THE ADVENTURES OF SIR GAWAIN THE TRUE is the third installment in this series.

Sir Gawain is known as "the undefeated." He is tired of this title, but because it is what he is known as, when a battle comes up and King Arthur needs someone to win, it is Sir Gawain who is called up.

Sir Gawain returns to the court to recount a story of saving a damsel from a dragon. But when he is asked...more
Dot Hutchison
Okay, I’m going to admit to a little gushing here: I adore Gerald Morris. I have been reading his books for what seems like forever. I can’t even count how many times I checked them out from various libraries until I was finally able to buy my own set. The ten books of the Squire’s Tale series can be sorted as MG (Middle Grade) or YA (Young Adult) depending on what bookstore you’re in, but the newer Knights’ Tales series is solidly MG.

And wonderful.

Sir Gawain the True is the third of this new se...more
Amy
I am a huge fan of most Arthurian books, especially childrens versions. I think this was a wonderfully done story on Sir Gawain and how he became a better knight and a better man by learning some valuable lessons. The story line was easy to follow, the story was fun and mysterious, and the children can learn valuable lessons from this story. This is the third in a series, and I would recommend this to readers who are learning how to read chapter books, and even for older children who are interes...more
Barbara
I've always loved the King Arthur stories, and this retelling of the story of one of his knights, Sir Gawaine, in ten chapters is fresh, lively, and filled with humor. The knights of the Round Table were brave and loyal, but they sometimes had to be taught lessons in manners and chivalry as in the case of Sir Gawaine. The author explores many important issues such as loyalty, reputation, vows, and honor in tongue-in-cheek fashion, and the frank conversations between Sir Gawaine and Sir Gologras...more
Stacy Ford
Nicole Politi
From the author of The Squire’s Tale (read my review) comes the third in the Kinghts’ Tales series of transitional readers. Morris takes Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and makes it highly accessable to an elementary school audience.

What appears at first to be a straightforward episodic tale quickly takes on depth and humor, making it one of the best I’ve read all year. After reading Jonathan Hunt’s comments on Heavy Medal, I’m convinced it needs a sticker (and wouldn’t it be wonderful to have a...more
Bethany
I don't think this needs a summary; it's the story of Gawain and the Green Knight. Its a quick read with some nice illustrations and an excellent, humorous voice. The story is a lesson-teaching kind of story, and that comes across very clearly, but it's not didactic, either. No one comes right out and says, "Keep your promises, but don't make a lot of them, and also, be nice to people." The audience is going to work that out for themselves, and there are also smaller, less obvious lessons about...more
Tiffany
Not only are the Knights of the Round Table brave and daring, but they are also expected to be courtesy and polite. Sir Gawain does not quite understand this when he comes across a damsel in distress and although he saves her from a dragon, he leaves her alone in the forest without even asking her name. The underlying message of politeness is overshadowed by the humor and hilarity that has become a trademark of this series. Yes, each knight learns a valuable lesson, but the books have a snarky h...more
Beverly
My thoughts:
This was my first Knight's Tales book and I loved it. The story was well told and entertaining. It is a great read for young people and would be a super read-aloud for a classroom teacher. This series would be a fantastic enhancement to any unit on King Arthur and his times.

The lesson is about courtesy, courage, honor, and the value of friendship. It is told in a way that is humorous and captivating. A great way to share the tale of the Green Knight and Sir Gawain with young readers...more
paula
These Knights Tales are perfect bridges from First Chapter to full-on Chapter. Not only do they fit the bill developmentally, but they are so appealing, with their wacky old-fashioned-y illustrations by Aaron Renier (The Unsinkable Walker Bean, Spiral-Bound) and humorous appellations. Sir Givret the Short? Sir Gandefere the Nearly Undefeated? AND, as if that weren't enough, they serve as a gateway to that richly scenic path that may eventually lead a young reader to The Once and Future King.

Full...more
Shelley
Sir Gawain is a dear friend of King Arthur, who insists that his knights not only be able to fight, but be polite and respectful in their down time. It's taken Sir Gawain (and the others) a little bit of time to figure this manners thing out. Super cute and fun, a few laugh out loud moments, but I saw nothing particularly distinguished about it.

Also: I really, really miss my reading challenge widget telling me if I am ahead, on track or behind. How can I be super competitive if I'm not sure if...more
Jeanna
A fun, easy, short read. Funny writing, especially at the beginning. Plus, I actually liked Sir Gawain from before as one of the few knights who didn't sleep with every maid in sight (not in the stories I read, anyway). I fear that if I dug deeper, his reputation would probably be tarnished in my eyes. But not by this book, at least.

Also, you have to really appreciate any story that involves talking green heads.

Rating: Nice and G. I mean, I guess it's kinda PG for head chopping and such, but rea...more
Lauren
I liked The Squire the Knight and His Lady adaptation of this story better (also by Gerald Morris) because, though I get he was trying to make it easier for younger readers, he wrapped it all up too easily. Still, the fight between Sir Reynold and Sir Regal was not worth missing. I lost it when they started lobbing gravel at each other.
Nick
It got off to a slow start, but by the ending I really enjoyed this retelling of a classic Arthurian tale. The only weak spot was the rather slapstick combat in one prolonged fight sequence, which gave it an odd tone for several pages, but the overall story was handled remarkably well.
The original tale, which involved teaching an overconfident and self-involved knight a needed lesson, is changed only a bit in the retelling, and in ways that will make it more comprehensible for young readers.
Meredith
3.5, actually. A lively retelling of several legends woven together neatly and with humor (see p. 37: "Things are different nowadays. Nations are not founded on keeping promises so much as on bleak and gloomy things called economies, which expect people to do whatever suits them rather than what they've said they would do.")

The book has action, mystery, and even a moral. I would prefer to have read this instead of the full Gawain and the Green Knight back in college!

Jason Penckofer
This is a terrifically fun chapter book adaptation of "Gawain and the Green Knight". The narrator is funny, and Gawain's growth can be seen a subtly lesson-y, but the story is such cracking good fun it doesn't matter. Perhaps just a touch long to be considered a transitional chapter book, this is still within reach of newer chapter book readers. Plenty of adventure and humor, a must read for those who like reading about King Arthur's knights, or any knights, really.
Destinee Sutton
Bottom line: Super funny, engaging, and it all comes together in the end. Love love love it for third and fourth graders.

Plot: Sir Gawain the Undefeated is a great knight and a nice guy, but he's a little rude. What could make Sir Gawain appreciate the importance of good manners? Maybe the threat of losing his head? Hardly a simple morality tale, this awesome little book explores the importance of promises, of taking vows, and what it means to be a good friend.
Beth
I really liked it, and was dissappointed that the humor and action went over the head of my 1st grader (but not that I was surprised). I hope he gets into it more in a few years.

Do I think it's Newbery worthy? I don't know. I applaud that it's a short book that would appeal to both boys and girls. But while I really enjoyed the humor, I know that people's taste in comedy vary wilding. The humor alternates between dry and goofball slapstick.
Yapha
Gerald Morris is a master at retelling King Arthur stories! This is the third book in his series, The Knights' Tales, aimed at younger readers. Like the others, this is written in easy flowing prose making it accessible to readers new to chapter books. The generous humor sprinkled throughout adds to the tales, while still holding true to the original Arthurian legends. This volume is no exception. I will eagerly await more in this series!
Betsy
This was a pretty funny little story. King Arthur is trying to teach his knights to be brave but also courteous and polite. Sir Gawain the Undefeated ends up getting the same lesson from a few others in the kingdom. I picked this one up because it's gotten some Newbery buzz and I've been trying to read as many books that are getting buzz around award season as I can. This was a quick read and really cute. I definitely recommend it.
Pam
Finally a early reader that is enjoyable and should appeal to boys! There is some buzz that this book is a contender for the Newbery. I would be thrilled, but worry this story isn't the typical middle reader type that wins. Morris does a great job of telling the Arthurian tale of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. The humor and modern interpretation of the chilvaric code makes the story accessible to a modern, young audience.
Kat Goldin
The novel has King Arthur’s English history, details of the Knights of the Round Table, word play on historical events and a great story that includes positive choses as characters are built to save a kingdom and the ideals of the people. The Knights’ Tales series is full of humor and wishful thinking; The Adventures of Sir Gawain the True is the third book and looks at the role of friendship and courage with wit and cunning combined.
Eva Mitnick
By the end of this short and breezy tale, Sir Gawain has metamorphosed from a self-absorbed and discourteous knight into a thoughtful guy and a good friend - with plenty of mysterious supernatural adversaries, lords and ladies, sword fights, and humor along the way. Thank goodness Morris never grows tired of King Arthur's Knights of the Round Table, because neither we. Recommended for grades 2 to 4.
Marcia
Sir Gawain meets a number of memorable characters and engages in battles including the Green Knight. The humorous bent and the King Arthur theme really appealed to my 2nd grade reading group. At just over 100 pages with funny line drawing illustrations, this is a chapter book that would be a good choice for a reader just getting up to speed and reading independently.
  • The Trouble with May Amelia (May Amelia, #2)
  • The Cheshire Cheese Cat: A Dickens of a Tale
  • Invisible Inkling
  • The Friendship Doll
  • Marty McGuire
  • Amelia Lost: The Life and Disappearance of Amelia Earhart
  • When Life Gives You O.J.
  • The Case of the Lost Boy (The Buddy Files, #1)
  • Melvin and the Boy
  • Pearl Verses the World
  • Captain Nobody
  • The Money We'll Save
  • Like Pickle Juice on a Cookie (Eleanor, #1)
  • The Adventures of a South Pole Pig: A novel of snow and courage
  • Ghetto Cowboy
  • Rabbit and Robot: The Sleepover
  • Warp Speed
  • Hobby (The Young Merlin Trilogy, #2)
Gerald Morris is known for his light yet addictive series of stories for preteen and teen readers based in the Middle Ages during the time of King Arthur. Collectively called "The Squire's Tales", the series includes The Squire's Tale, The Squire, His Knight, and His Lady, The Savage Damsel and The Dwarf, and Parsifal's Page. The books at the start of the series focus on Gawain, but primarily on T...more
More about Gerald Morris...
The Squire's Tale (The Squire's Tales, #1) The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf (The Squire's Tales, #3) The Squire, His Knight, and His Lady (The Squire's Tales, #2) The Princess, the Crone, and the Dung-Cart Knight (The Squire's Tales, #6) Parsifal's Page (The Squire's Tales, #4)