Start by marking “Shakespeare's Lost Kingdom” as Want to Read:
Shakespeare's Lost Kingdom

Shakespeare's Lost Kingdom

It is perhaps the greatest story never told: the truth behind the most-enduring works of literature in the English language, perhaps in any language. Who was the man behind Hamlet? What passion inspired the sonnets, whose words were so powerful that not marble, nor the gilded monuments Of princes, shall outlive this powerful rhyme"? In Shakespeare’s Lost Kingdom, critical ...more
Published March 30th 2010 by Grove/Atlantic, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Shakespeare's Lost Kingdom, please sign up.

Susan I did. First of all, the idea that the then most famous woman in the world, Elizabeth I, Queen of England, could have had four or five illegitimate…moreI did. First of all, the idea that the then most famous woman in the world, Elizabeth I, Queen of England, could have had four or five illegitimate children and no one commented on her or them is ridiculous.

Second, the idea that she had sex with her own son to produce her grandson is more ridiculous.

Third, that Charles Beauclerk is conveniently the descendant of all of those couplings is absolutely absurd.(less)

S.
Heavens to Betsy. The Earl of Oxford was not only the author of Shakespeare's plays but also the secret son of Elizabeth I, AND was a product of Elizabeth's incestuous relationship with her uncle?! AND THEN the Earl ALSO had a relationship with his mother who gave birth to Henry Wriothesley--Shakespeare's "fair youth" ?? Can the ICK factor get any stinkier?...oddly enough, i'm finding it more and more difficult to believe that the humble glovemaker was "the author...."
Jake Maguire
Oct 05, 2010 Jake Maguire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I must confess I was a little apprehensive at first about throwing my hat into the ring with the "Oxfordians" - but I can honestly say that after reading this book, and watching a number of the Shakespeare plays, and reading six other biographies about Shakespeare, I feel comfortable saying the Earl of Oxford was the "Bard". Read this book and everything else out there for that matter and judge for yourself.
Patricia
I just started this and I love it already! Fie on the spurious gloveseller theory!....I do like it a lot but it's dense and I'm giving it a rest for a bit. It's the kind of book that needs to be absorbed.
Louise
It's all too much for a weekend read! I'm suffering from overload!

I have long wondered why the man whose very name is sometimes synonymous with "Elizabethan Drama" hardly ever appears in bios of Elizabeth (except for prior to the Essex Rebellion). I had read Beauclerk's wonderful bio of his forbearer: Nell Gwyn: Mistress to a King and looked forward to a similarly fun and delightful read on Shakespearean theater. I thought I'd learn, for instance, which of these plays were actually staged for EI
Peter  Fokes
Nov 16, 2013 Peter Fokes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant (Even though we will never know for sure if Edward de Vere was the son of Elizabeth and Seymour).
Elliott
I thought about simply listing the errors I found in the first couple chapters for my review and just let them stand on their own as explanation for my one star rating and why I shelved this under the worst books that I have ever read. That of course provides an easy route for dismissing the book, but my feelings go deeper than that: besides hating this book, I hate the "research" that went into it, and I hate Oxfordianism for claiming a kind of "academic prowness" when this book is not an aberr ...more
Susan
Dec 14, 2014 Susan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I first heard of the Anti-Avonian arguments when I was in college. My immediate thought then was this sort of theory does not give credit to the individual. Half a century later, watching a documentary about Greenwich Village, I realized that Woody Allen and Richard Pryor and Bob Dylan either did not go to college or never finished college and they, like Shakespeare, are admired as writers and entertainers.

Why not a glover's son from a rural town?

First, I do not think Beauclerk's book is partic
Judi
I had no intentions of starting this book now, but after browsing through the dustjacket and the first few pages I could not put it down. A historical eye-opener.

Not being a Shakespeare scholar, I have to admit being over my head at times. This book presents an indepth look at the works attributed to William Shakespeare and the history of the times. Very interesting and I will probably read it again.
Oct 29, 2011 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I had the strength to get all the way through the book. I didn't find it an easy read and I skipped a couple of chapters, but the author did convince me that De Vere was Shakespeare. If you're interested in Elizabethean history, this book is worth the read. I had to rate it down for being somewhat difficult to work through in spite of a really interesting subject matter and some good history research.
Matt
Jan 03, 2012 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A compelling read for anyone interested in the Shakespeare authorship question. Beauclerk's assertions are generally well-supported, although he does sometimes too readily accept the "We don't know who wrote this, but if Oxford did, it would support my hypothesis" argument. However, for the sheer outrageousness of his claims, this book is recommended. I won't give it away here, but it changed my reading of every mother-son relationship in the canon. A tad long-winded, but quite interesting.
Karen Lubell
Apr 24, 2014 Karen Lubell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who are you, Charles Beauclerk? Beautifully done, and convincing. Moving on in a hurry to read the most recent.
Tamia
Aug 31, 2013 Tamia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting premise, but support was drawn from interpretation of Shakespeare's plays, which often seemed a bit far fetched.
katie king
fascinating...
Richard Agemo
Richard Agemo rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2010
Middlethought
Middlethought rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2017
Melissa Chacon
Melissa Chacon rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2016
kay w freck
kay w freck rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2016
Barbara Wilson
Barbara Wilson rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2015
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2011
John Christian
John Christian rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2011
Natalie Cannon
Natalie Cannon rated it did not like it
Jun 09, 2015
Lori Laurent Smith
Lori Laurent Smith rated it it was ok
Nov 13, 2016
Shari
Shari rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2014
Elissa
Elissa rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2012
Lori Laurent Smith
Lori Laurent Smith rated it really liked it
May 23, 2017
Greg McConeghy
Greg McConeghy rated it did not like it
Jun 20, 2014
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Cerys
Cerys rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2016
B
B rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2014
Chelstradamus
Chelstradamus rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Shakespeare by Another Name: The Life of Edward de Vere, Earl of Oxford, the Man Who Was Shakespeare
  • Death And The Virgin: Elizabeth, Dudley and the Mysterious Fate of Amy Robsart
  • Christopher Marlowe: Poet & Spy
  • My Just Desire: The Life of Bess Raleigh, Wife to Sir Walter
  • The Reckoning: The Murder of Christopher Marlowe
  • Shakespeare
  • The Elizabethans
  • The Oxford Illustrated History of the British Monarchy
  • Madame Tussaud: A Life in Wax
  • The Rose of Martinique: A Life of Napoleon's Josephine
  • Contested Will: Who Wrote Shakespeare?
  • Margaret of York: The Diabolical Duchess