Start by marking “The Eternal Dungeon (Eternal Dungeon, #1-4 & side novella)” as Want to Read:
The Eternal Dungeon (Eternal Dungeon, #1-4 & side novella)

The Eternal Dungeon (Eternal Dungeon #1-4 & side novella)

In the Queendom of Yclau lies an underground royal prison that embraces the worst of the past and the best of the future. The Eternal Dungeon is old-fashioned in its equipment and ahead of its time in its treatment of prisoners, seeking to put their best welfare above all else. Torture is part of the process of assisting the prisoners.

The High Seeker, Layle Smith, embodies
Published October 2010

To ask other readers questions about The Eternal Dungeon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Eternal Dungeon

Emma Sea

This comprises the four original novels and a side story. The writing improves noticeably throughout the series. The first book annoyed me a great deal with its insistence on explaining what was happening, through an intrusive narrative structure.**

Although the writing improves throughout the series, I think the premise becomes weaker. The beginning explores Elsdon's and Layle's relationship and the nature of power and pleasure. The middle books waffle and are less thematically interest
Ayanna
Mar 08, 2013 Ayanna marked it as to-read
Shelves: to-read-maybe
Argh, I WOULD read this, but it looks so complicated to navigate... =_=
Lady*M
Dec 28, 2012 Lady*M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, m-m-romance
Rebirth - 4.25 stars

Intriguing description of alternative birth of psychology - in a dungeon. Layle is an incredible character, complex and unsettling. And, yet, he was perfect to ease Elsdon's scars left by his father. The men are instruments of each others self-examination and growth. Their mutual trust never wavers.

I wish there was more world-building of outside world in the story, but I didn't mind too much since the strength of the story lies on the characters.

Transformation - 3.75 stars

As
Elisa Rolle
Oct 26, 2015 Elisa Rolle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2011 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention (5* from at least 1 judge)
Danny Tyran
I hesitated between 4 and 5 stars because there were a few parts that I found a little boring. But I found the rest good enough to want more of it. Lets just say that I love moral dilemmas if they are lived by strong characters and if the author is not too preachy.

I don't know for this author's other books. Are they as good as this series ? Maybe I'll try one of them soon.

Laylah
Nov 09, 2010 Laylah rated it liked it
Shelves: m-slash-m
I think the highest compliment I can pay this collection is that it was compelling -- even when parts of it were really frustrating for me, I wanted to keep reading and find out how the problems resolved.

The structure Peterson goes for here is ambitious, with fragments of this imaginary world's history texts framing the main body of the story, which fleshes out the spare accounts that made it into history. The historical touches, and the concept of centering the story around torturers who are me
Sévérin Grimm
Brenda Cothern
Aug 01, 2015 Brenda Cothern rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, fantasy, series
I grabbed this book as a 'free read' from Smashwords since my past experiences with pick the price have resulted in paying for books that were poorly written with no editing, weak (or worse, no) plots, and characters who were two dimensional if I was lucky!
Boy, was I surprised! Reading The Eternal Dungeon was like taking a walk back into an alternative history that could have actually happened. I can not imagine the amount of research that has gone into this novel but it is clear that Peterson
Bethany
Sep 11, 2012 Bethany rated it it was amazing
Absolutely captivating. The first book I read in one sitting and that is unusual for me. I'm way to ADD to keep focused very long, but this book had me so anxious to hit the next page button. Superbly written. Flow and pacing were spot on. Not once did I feel I had to flip pages to get to the point. Looking forward to reading what else is in this series.

I'm not sure if this book/series is a M/M genre, but I love that there was a hint of it in Eternal Dungeon.

5 stars for The Breaking.
Ewelina
Ewelina rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2015
Zeh
Zeh rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Tikky
Tikky rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2015
Annie
Annie rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2011
Catrionafitz
Catrionafitz rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2016
Sandra
Sandra rated it it was ok
Feb 03, 2011
Tara
Tara rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2011
Kurishiler
Kurishiler rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2013
Malkamutzunka
Malkamutzunka rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2015
Nijin
Nijin rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2013
Dana
Dana rated it liked it
May 15, 2012
Steve Plunkett
Steve Plunkett rated it did not like it
Oct 29, 2011
Megan White
Megan White rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2012
Ally Man
Ally Man rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2012
Anon
Anon rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2014
Kieran
Kieran rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2012
Lara
Lara rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2012
Scout
Scout rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2012
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2015
Judith
Judith rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2015
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2016
2072858
Honored in the Rainbow Awards, Dusk Peterson writes historical adventure tales that are speculative fiction: alternate history, historical fantasy, and retrofuture science fiction, including lgbtq novels and online fiction. Friendship, family affection, faithful service, and romance often occur in the stories. A resident of Maryland, Mx. Peterson lives with an apprentice and several thousand books ...more
More about Dusk Peterson...

Eternal Dungeon (2 books)
  • Rebirth (The Eternal Dungeon, Volume 1)
  • Transformation (The Eternal Dungeon, Volume 2)