Start by marking “He Drown She in the Sea” as Want to Read:
He Drown She in the Sea

He Drown She in the Sea

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  169 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Set on the fictional Caribbean island of Guanagaspar around the time of the Second World War, and in modern-day Vancouver, He Drown She in the Sea, fulfills the promise of Shani Mootoo’s internationally acclaimed debut novel, Cereus Blooms at Night.

At the centre of the story is Harry St. George, the son of a laundress, and the unrequited love he bears for a woman, Rose, th

Published June 9th 2006 by Grove Press (first published November 30th 1975)

To ask other readers questions about He Drown She in the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about He Drown She in the Sea

Jenna
Sep 23, 2010 Jenna rated it did not like it
This would have been a fine first draft for a novel. As it is, though, it should not have been published. I was never pulled in to the fictive dream because Ms. Mootoo never created one. She did, however, rely on dream sequences to begin and end her book, a sign of unbelievable laziness. And after my initial misgivings, things only got worse. Terrible dialect; I don't care if you're from Trinidad and you want to indicate that your characters don't speak standard British--there are subtler ways t ...more
sves yvonne
Jan 25, 2015 sves yvonne rated it liked it
plot is slow at the beginning and jumped too quickly to the past for the background, I just felt like the plot was based in longing and nostalgia of the past, the kind of feelings that I have had in the past with people that were just never emotionally there and although the two characters come together in the end, it is not something that I cherish in a relationship. why wait for someone? although rose's abusive husbands behavior comes to light in the end and in the beginning there are definite ...more
Valerie Proctor
Jun 17, 2014 Valerie Proctor rated it really liked it
Now this is the kind of novel I like to read! Shani Mootoo is a great novelist. She catches dialogue and local accent very well but without wearing out the reader. Her main character, Harry, a middle –aged man is portrayed sympathetically, in-depth from his childhood as a poor servant’s son into the present as a garden designer in Vancouver. From the very beginning, because of the title, I was worried about who drown whom! I promise you, it was a surprise ending... Unfortunately, the ending alth ...more
Rachelfm
Jan 14, 2014 Rachelfm rated it did not like it
The plot was there. But I couldn't be bothered to care about these characters and I found the Trinidadian dialect really distracting. I felt like none of these characters has their own voice nor created reasons for us to care about them.

Sierra
Aug 30, 2007 Sierra rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who like to their romances intelligent and gripping
Oh man, I was late for work because I had to finish this book. The narrative jumps between Canada and the island of Guanagaspar, focusing in turn on Harry and Rose, childhood sweethearts who are separated by issues of class and propriety and returned to each other in their later years. Harry and Rose's history is delivered in an achronous fashion, so that moments from their childhoods are bumped up against recollections of a summer past, and again against memories of their estranged adolescences ...more
Khrys
Mar 31, 2016 Khrys rated it really liked it
Oh Shani! There were many a time I was like "ooohh gooooddeee!" Classic trini response to comesse. And the ENDING!!! Good book, though a bit wordy and overly descriptive.
Itisme
read free pre release copy for a book festival
Alina Fabozzi
Jan 13, 2014 Alina Fabozzi rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books I read in college. I really enjoyed the imagery, the Indian culture on the islands and the smooth transitions between time and space.

It's not too long and perfect for a week of magical reading.
Kaitlin
May 23, 2013 Kaitlin rated it really liked it
This was a good book. I definitely wasn't as into it as Cereus Blooms at Night, but it was still good.

If you plan on reading this book, pay attention to Part I (three parts to this book). I found that when I got to Part III I was in a haze because the story line picked back up from Part I. Part II was a little boring, but towards the end, everything made sense. Definitely a good book.

Full review on my blog: http://book_worm_chick.xanga.com
Rachel Lichtman Castaño
Amazing amazing amazing
Karen
Jun 20, 2008 Karen rated it liked it
So far, so great. Written by a Trinidadian author who has spent a lot of time in North America -- so it feels very familiar to me.

Update: Not bad. The ending was a bit unbelievable and contrived, but still, a good book. Would recommend it to any of my Caribbean friends, or anyone interested in learning about life in the Caribbean.
Shivanee Ramlochan
Feb 10, 2012 Shivanee Ramlochan rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
No book of Shani Mootoo's has ever quite compared to the smouldering brilliance of 'Cereus Blooms At Night', and 'He Drown She in the Sea' is no exception. Despite that, Mootoo's storytelling talent has not diminished with this offering. Her places are authentically constructed; the voices of her characters are vivid and well-sustained.
Tiffa
Sep 11, 2011 Tiffa rated it did not like it
Having really loved the Cereus Blooms, I hoped to love this. I did not. At all. It takes place very close to where I live, and it was vaguely nice to read descriptions of our coast. The plot, sadly, was quite shockingly bad, with one of the weakest endings I've read in a very long time. Shame.
Lori
May 13, 2010 Lori rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Love story about two childhood friends who were separated by class on a Carribean island. He relocates to Vancouver, where they re-meet as adults. Entertaining, sweet.
Joanne
Apr 19, 2016 Joanne added it
Excellent read - I will look for Shani's earlier book.
Amy
Mar 31, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
This story took a turn I really didn't expect in the last section, but in the end I loved it.
Sheena
Aug 20, 2011 Sheena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-pre-2010
All in all I enjoyed this novel. The middle dragged a little bit, but the end was wonderful.
Julia
Aug 28, 2007 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
set in the carribean, this book explored themes of race and class in an unusual setting.
Shruti Narine
Shruti Narine marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Constance
Constance rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
DIMPLE JEAN
DIMPLE JEAN marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Gilberte O'sullivan
Gilberte O'sullivan rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
C. Kimmi
C. Kimmi rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
Colette O'Connor
Colette O'Connor marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
  • No Language Is Neutral
  • Six Metres of Pavement
  • How Come the Best Clues Are Always in the Garbage?
  • Bruised Hibiscus
  • The Fat Black Woman's Poems
  • Myal
  • Difficult Fruit
  • Loose End
Shani Mootoo, writer, visual artist and video maker, was born in Dublin, Ireland in 1957 to Trinidadian parents. She grew up in Trinidad and relocated at age 24 to Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. She currently lives in Toronto, Canada.
More about Shani Mootoo...