Start by marking “A Table in the Presence: The Dramatic Account of How A U.S. Marine Battalion Experienced God's Presence Amidst the Chaos of the War in Iraq” as Want to Read:

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  342 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
On April 10th, 2003, the 1st Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, faced with the task of seizing the presidential palace in downtown Baghdad, ran headlong into what Lieutenant Colonel Oliver North called, "the worst day of fighting for U.S. Marines." Hiding in buildings and mosques, wearing civilian clothes, and spread out for over a mile, Saddam Hussein's militants rained down ...more
Published April 1st 2005 by Thomas Nelson (first published March 30th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about A Table in the Presence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Table in the Presence

Rick
Sep 30, 2009 Rick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a close friend who has a son (Josh) who recommended this book to me. Josh took 2 tours in Iraq and told me that this book depicts the war in Iraq very accurately. Wow! What a great book. It is amazing what God did in spite of the horrors of war.. A table in His presence.. A blessing to read. Thank you to all those who protect our freedom. Thank you for all you who protect my freedom. May God bless you and your families!
Reni Karimpineth
Amazing book! I picked it up after I heard news of my close friend being called into Iraq. I worried for him, seeing all the horror in the news with the war. This book encouraged me and really showed mr that no matter what God is always in control. I'm blessed to have my friend come home from Iraq, knowing God kept him!
Garyandlenora Anderson
Miracle after Miracle. An amazing story. I highly recommend it. Gave many copies away as gifts.
Margaret
Aug 13, 2013 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My father gave me this book to read and I'm so glad he did! Normally, this wouldn't be the type of book I would read, but it was really good - very inspirational. Chaplain Cash tells stories of those in harm's way being saved (in more ways than one) by the awesome presence of God. The first couple of chapters were a little long for me, but the remainder of the book keep me interested to the very end.
Aafje
Dec 17, 2015 Aafje rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was okay overall. While it is truly amazing to hear how powerful prayer is as Chaplain Cash recounts his experience this book wasn't written very well. In my humble opinion I think this book would have had a much bigger impact if it was written better. For example, Cash, tends to flip flop back and forth between war stories and who was praying for him back home and how some of his men came to Jesus. While I enjoyed hearing some of the testimony I found myself zoning out and f ...more
Robin Thomas
Semper Fidelis … Always Faithful. This book is written by one of the chaplains serving with a battalion of marines during Operation Iraqi Freedom. It describes the already existing faith of some of the marines as well as marines that were baptized "on the road" so to speak. They experienced many encounters where many, many of them should have been killed. Yet they only lost 2 people and suffered some casualties. The instances really do sound like miracles. Direct hits on a vehicle, yet no deaths ...more
Mark Weaver
Oct 25, 2012 Mark Weaver rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military
Our God is good, great book to renew your faith in God.
Peregrine 12
Aug 09, 2013 Peregrine 12 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers who want to combine US religious views with the Iraq war invasion
Shelves: history
It was okay, but not great. As a reader, I would've liked to read more story and less eulogy, less religion. The miracle the men experienced was truly incredible; I wish it, and the discussion of the vagaries of war, had been more center-stage in the book rather than a conclusion to 200 pp of other stuff.

The book is written to describe a group of Marines who passed through explosions, etc, that easily should have killed everyone, yet no one was seriously injured. Once arriving at this part, I fe
Debbie
Jul 02, 2009 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because it was recommended to me by a dear friend and the person who baptized me, the author's father-in-law. I saw a great deal of influence of his saintly father-in-law in these pages.

This book tells the true story of the first Marine Battalion in Iraq, and their spiritual as well as military struggle there. LT. Cash, who is currently the President's chaplain at Camp David, is a man of true Christian faith, expressed as a Baptist Navy chaplain, but open to the ideas of a litur
Chad
Jul 15, 2015 Chad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story of the miracles that happened to the 1st Battalion 5th Marine Regiment during the battles for Iraq and specifically Baghdad. While the first half of the book is interesting and it's inspiring to read the stories of the people turning to Jesus on the eve of the conflict, the most fascinating parts to me were the accounts of how the men survived the battle for Baghdad. The stories are nothing short of modern day miracles.
Esther
Jan 18, 2015 Esther rated it it was amazing
Interesting reading for a nonresistant Anabaptist. This book flows from the heart of a chaplain who served in the Marines when they first entered Baghdad in a fierce fire fight. On page 16 the author says as the military geared up to enter Iraq, "Every man there knew he had his rifle, his ammunition, his food and water; but those things seemed to pale in comparison to his need for God".
Tricia
Aug 14, 2015 Tricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carey Cash gave a humble and honest account of his Marine unit's experiences in taking Saddam Hussein's palace in Saddam City at the beginning of the Iraq War. Humble in that he admitted to the apprehension and uneasy feelings of soldiers going into battle. Yet despite fear the bravery of our American soldiers, the heart for a down trodden people, showed how very honorable they were. But even more God's miraculous protection and victory was seen by those who embraced Him and those who had not ye ...more
A Ivy
Feb 22, 2015 A Ivy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What I had hoped to be Cash's story of marines finding faith in the warzone turned out to be mostly self-righteous proselytizing. The well written batte scenes were enough to keep me reading.
Mark Leaming
Jan 02, 2015 Mark Leaming rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book! A beautiful portrait on seeing God at work in the mist of true chaos and in the enemy's home front. Even the Epilogue is a powerful illustration on the difference between Daniel and Stephen and how one lived while the other died. Read it and see for yourself.
Joe
Fantastic account of the men who serve our country and one in particular that God used to bring the gospel to soldiers in the middle of a war. The clear teaching of scripture is that God uses circumstances for His own ends and glory; sometimes God chooses to save men from the worst that a fallen world can throw at us, and sometimes God saves us through the worst that can come our way. This book gives a very real account of war that brought both hardship and miraculous deliverance, which is just ...more
Jerome
Feb 16, 2012 Jerome rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some amazing stories of how a Marine Battalion experienced God's presence during the war in Iraq, and some interesting insights on being a chaplain in the Marines.
Unfortunately, Cash doesn't seem to know much about war and dumbs down lots of the military strategy, tactics,jargon, and weapons systems for the reader, which I see as evidence that today's Christians are a little too comfortable in their isolationist mentality and don't bother to inform themselves about that kind of stuff. Probably t
Heather
Dec 27, 2007 Heather rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: VA staff; people who want an inside picture of combat in Iraq
Shelves: adult
This book was WAY to Christian for my taste - it really annoys me when evangelical Christians think they have the corner on spirituality. I did enjoy the broad idea, though, that spirituality can be found, and is helpful, in life-threatening situations. Mostly, though, the value that I found in this book was simply in learning more about what it's actually like--or, at least what it was like for one battalion--to be combat in Iraq. For that reason, I highly recommended this to other VA staff and ...more
Debbie
Nov 29, 2008 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly moving book. The book starts its descriptions as the Marines are in Kuwait, soon to get the word to move into Iraq. It paints a portrait of the life of a soldier as they go into combat--the worries, what was faced in battle, etc. All throughout the author tells how prayers were answered in astounding ways. The last two chapters had me in tears--first, because surviving that last push seemed impossible, second, because God gave them His protection in such amazing ways.
Jo
Feb 13, 2012 Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quoting from the back of the book, "Serving as a chaplain to the U.S. Marines, Lieutenant Carey Cash had witnessed the miracles that began in the desert of northern Kuwait and found their culmination in one of the fiercest battles of Operation Iraqi Freedom. With vivid detail and gripping emotion, Lt. Cash gives a firsthand account of this amazing story -- how the men of an entire battalion found God in the presence of their enemies." Truly amazing stories we don't hear on the news.
Dana
Mar 16, 2009 Dana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very honest, insightful, first hand account of the emotional rollercoaster of war through the eyes and heart of an army chaplain. It so delicately reveals the difficult task that a service chaplain has ministering to our service personnel during such difficult situations, all the while struggling with his own emotions. Lt. Cash breathes freshair to the reader's soul describing how God entered and re-entered non-believers' and believers' lives through these tough times.
Tiffany Elgan
I'm sorry- but it was a bit too much southern baptist preachy for me. I only read it because it was a Christmas present. I actually read the first half and skimmed the second half. Some of the stories are quite miraculous and I liked that he attributed these instances to God. And I appreciate the hard work of a chaplain. But I don't like scripture quotes from new-age bibles and I suppose this was something that especially bothered me. I wish I had liked it...
Megan
Feb 13, 2010 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book because it showed the realities of spirituality in the midst of war. If you enjoy military history this book will be for you. However, if you do not normally read military history it can seem dry and repetative at times. The author really enjoyed the use of foreshaddowing and, in my opinion, overused it. I would recommend this book because it addresses a unique topic, but it may not be the most engaging book you read this year.
Jess
May 15, 2015 Jess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read several war stories, memoirs ect. This particular book has been sitting on my shelf for the better part of a decade. I am so pleased that I finally read it. I shed many tears. I became covered in goose bumps several times. Well written true story. Will forever remain close to my heart and on my list of very favorites up there with Unbroken. Thank you Lt. Cash for sharing your story.
Crystal
Aug 21, 2014 Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read! Dramatic, personal recount of the 1st Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment's and angel armies storming into Hussein's Iraq. Did you know Sempre Fidelis means "Always Faithful"?
Andrew
Apr 13, 2008 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military, history
This book is written by a Chaplain in the Marine Corps about and during his time with his troops in the invasion of Iraq. I found the historical breakdown of the infantry's invasion into Iraq more interesting than the religious aspect. However, there were many poignant and emotional stories about God's presence in the lives of the Marines during the war. Overall a good book in both aspects.
Anafalz
Jan 26, 2015 Anafalz rated it liked it
This book isn't bad, but it isn't good either. If you are looking for a war story, you will be left wanting because it doesn't totally focus on that. If you are looking for a book about the faith of soldiers or Marines, you will be left wanting because of the war portions.

Read a digital version and save the money for some thing else.
Becky Hollar
Jan 01, 2016 Becky Hollar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This amazing encounter of God working among our troops had me in tears at His marvelous handiwork, at bringing even the toughest soldier to his knees in awe of our God. Even several years after reading it I can distinctly remember some of the stories Chaplain Cash relates. This book is definitely on my re-read list.
Mandi
Wow! Incredible account of the miraculous and obvious hand of God protecting our military at the beginning of the war in Iraq! This book is loaded with the retelling of countless miracles that will have you praising God and getting on your knees in prayer for our military. Highly recommended!
Nicole
May 08, 2008 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There have been several books that have come out about the war in Iraq. This one has a different approach. It is filled with heart wrenching accounts of battlefield casualties and experiences while at the same time allows glimmers of hope to illuminate the faith that carried the author through.
Hannah
An amazing story of God's work in the deserts of Iraq, A Table in the Presence helped me understand many things I had not previously and gave me awe for our awesome God. It is a thought-provoking, touching story which gave me a wonderful glimpse into the lives of these soldiers.
  • The Road to Unafraid: How the Army's Top Ranger Faced Fear and Found Courage through Black Hawk Down and Beyond
  • Saddam's Secrets: How an Iraqi General Defied & Survived Saddam Hussein
  • They Fought for Each Other: The Triumph and Tragedy of the Hardest Hit Unit in Iraq
  • The Strongest Tribe: War, Politics, and the Endgame in Iraq
  • High Calling: The Courageous Life and Faith of Space Shuttle Columbia Commander Rick Husband
  • Ambush Alley: The Most Extraordinary Battle of the Iraq War
  • Shine: Make Them Wonder What You've Got
  • We Were One: Shoulder to Shoulder with the Marines Who Took Fallujah
  • The Iraq War: The Military Offensive, from Victory in 21 Days to the Insurgent Aftermath
  • Cigars, Whiskey and Winning: Leadership Lessons from General Ulysses S. Grant
  • The God I Love: A Lifetime of Walking with Jesus
  • Band of Sisters: American Women at War in Iraq
  • Chesty: The Story of Lieutenant General Lewis B. Puller, USMC
  • Moment of Truth in Iraq: How a New 'Greatest Generation' of American Soldiers is Turning Defeat and Disaster into Victory and Hope
  • Understanding Iraq: The Whole Sweep of Iraqi History, from Genghis Khan's Mongols to the Ottoman Turks to the British Mandate to the American Occupation
  • In The Company of Soldiers: A Chronicle of Combat In Iraq
  • What Was Asked of Us: An Oral History of the Iraq War by the Soldiers Who Fought It
  • No Place to Hide: A Brain Surgeon's Long Journey Home from the Iraq War