Start by marking “The Portable Cervantes” as Want to Read:
The Portable Cervantes

The Portable Cervantes

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Contains Don Quixote, in Samuel Putnam's acclaimed translation, substantially complete, with editorial summaries of the omitted passages; two 'Exemplary Novels, 'Rinconete and Cortadillo' and 'Man of Glass'; and 'Foot in the Stirrup, ' Cervantes's extraordinary farewell to life from The Troubles of Persiles and Sigismunda.
Published November 18th 1976 by Penguin Books (first published 1605)

To ask other readers questions about The Portable Cervantes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Portable Cervantes

Kyle
Of 'Don Quixote':

This substantial, but abridged version of 'Don Quixote' is the only one I've read.

First, the notes were endlessly helpful. The plot is straightforward enough, but Quixote's constant references to the literature of knight-errantry, and Sancho Panza's proverbs would be nearly unintelligible without them.

At first, I thought that Don Quixote was laugh out loud funny. Quixote's soliloquies on the virtues and laws of chivalry, and the manner in which he addresses people are hilarious.
Kyle
“The Portable Cervantes” contains Samuel Putnam’s translation of “Don Quixote” (parts one and two), along with two short stories titled “Rinconete and Cortadillo” and “Man of Glass”. It also contains “Foot in the Stirrup”, which was Cervantes final words written days before his death.

I admit that I did not read this book from a critical literary point of view. I merely approached it as someone that enjoys reading, and as someone who heard so many interesting things about the main story of “Don
Aubrey
May 22, 2015 Aubrey marked it as to-read-owned  ·  review of another edition
gift for my Ian!
Hannah
A good translation and abridged edition of "Don Quixote". As a whole, Don Quixote was too episodic and repetitive for me, but at the same time, who am I to criticize Cervantes? I found myself laughing at parts, but not after 500 pages with 400 to go... Loved the metaphysical aspect of Part II and certain scenes in Part I.
Candace
The Portable Cervantes-Don Quixote.
Absolutely amusing, a great delight, makes me smile. Such an old-fashioned romantic. Full of Gallantry, Honor and Adventure and I should add misadventures. I love this book. When I finish it-I will probably read it again.
Annette
Jun 29, 2009 Annette is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
i am putting don qixote on hold til i get a non-abridged version. update: now i have an unabridged edition but the translation is all middle englishy. whatever. thanks mike.
Valissa
"It is very evident," answered Don Quixote, "that thou art not versed in the business of adventures."
Technically, I haven't ever finished it, but it's still a wonderful piece of romantic satire
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Abigail
Abigail is currently reading it
Apr 09, 2015
Taoufiq Hebboul
Taoufiq Hebboul marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Jennifer Fiddes
Jennifer Fiddes marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Cindy Crisson
Cindy Crisson marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Meghan Krogh
Meghan Krogh marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Mike
Mike is currently reading it
Jul 09, 2014
Keith
Keith marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Marita
Marita added it
Apr 11, 2014
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra was a Spanish novelist, poet, and playwright. His magnum opus Don Quixote is often considered the first modern novel.

It is assumed that Miguel de Cervantes was born in Alcalá de Henares. His father was Rodrigo de Cervantes, a surgeon of cordoban descent. Little is known of his mother Leonor de Cortinas, except that she was a native of Arganda del Rey.

In 1569, Cervantes
More about Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra...
Don Quixote Don Quijote de la Mancha I (Colección Lecturas Clásicas Graduadas) Don Quixote de La Mancha, Vol 2 (El ingenioso hidalgo Don Quixote de La Mancha, #2) El Ingenioso Hidalgo Don Quijote de La Mancha, 15 (Literatura) Exemplary Stories (Oxford World's Classics)