Start by marking “The Portable Cervantes” as Want to Read:
The Portable Cervantes

The Portable Cervantes

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  46 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Contains Don Quixote, in Samuel Putnam's acclaimed translation, substantially complete, with editorial summaries of the omitted passages; two 'Exemplary Novels, 'Rinconete and Cortadillo' and 'Man of Glass'; and 'Foot in the Stirrup, ' Cervantes's extraordinary farewell to life from The Troubles of Persiles and Sigismunda.
Published November 18th 1976 by Penguin Books (first published 1605)

To ask other readers questions about The Portable Cervantes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Portable Cervantes

Kyle
Oct 13, 2009 Kyle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of 'Don Quixote':

This substantial, but abridged version of 'Don Quixote' is the only one I've read.

First, the notes were endlessly helpful. The plot is straightforward enough, but Quixote's constant references to the literature of knight-errantry, and Sancho Panza's proverbs would be nearly unintelligible without them.

At first, I thought that Don Quixote was laugh out loud funny. Quixote's soliloquies on the virtues and laws of chivalry, and the manner in which he addresses people are hilarious.
Kyle
Apr 16, 2014 Kyle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“The Portable Cervantes” contains Samuel Putnam’s translation of “Don Quixote” (parts one and two), along with two short stories titled “Rinconete and Cortadillo” and “Man of Glass”. It also contains “Foot in the Stirrup”, which was Cervantes final words written days before his death.

I admit that I did not read this book from a critical literary point of view. I merely approached it as someone that enjoys reading, and as someone who heard so many interesting things about the main story of “Don
Aubrey
May 22, 2015 Aubrey marked it as to-read-owned  ·  review of another edition
gift for my Ian!
Hannah
Mar 06, 2013 Hannah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
A good translation and abridged edition of "Don Quixote". As a whole, Don Quixote was too episodic and repetitive for me, but at the same time, who am I to criticize Cervantes? I found myself laughing at parts, but not after 500 pages with 400 to go... Loved the metaphysical aspect of Part II and certain scenes in Part I.
Candace
Aug 21, 2012 Candace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
The Portable Cervantes-Don Quixote.
Absolutely amusing, a great delight, makes me smile. Such an old-fashioned romantic. Full of Gallantry, Honor and Adventure and I should add misadventures. I love this book. When I finish it-I will probably read it again.
Annette
Jun 29, 2009 Annette is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
i am putting don qixote on hold til i get a non-abridged version. update: now i have an unabridged edition but the translation is all middle englishy. whatever. thanks mike.
Valissa
Oct 20, 2010 Valissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"It is very evident," answered Don Quixote, "that thou art not versed in the business of adventures."
Jan 31, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Technically, I haven't ever finished it, but it's still a wonderful piece of romantic satire
Renee Sherman
Renee Sherman marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Sonja
Sonja is currently reading it
Feb 07, 2016
Elena
Elena marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Pako Barrientos
Pako Barrientos rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Gregg
Gregg marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Kelli Jenkins
Kelli Jenkins rated it it was ok
Jan 01, 2016
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2015
Woody
Woody added it
Dec 31, 2015
Charlie
Charlie is currently reading it
Sep 21, 2015
Madison Perez
Madison Perez rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2015
Joshua
Joshua added it
Sep 12, 2015
Eugene Leventhal
Eugene Leventhal rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2015
Ted
Ted marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Omar Sukkarieh
Omar Sukkarieh marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Megan Hoover
Megan Hoover marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Randy Reus
Randy Reus rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2015
Robert Schaugaard
Robert Schaugaard rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra was a Spanish novelist, poet, and playwright. His novel Don Quixote is often considered his magnum opus, as well as the first modern novel.

It is assumed that Miguel de Cervantes was born in Alcalá de Henares. His father was Rodrigo de Cervantes, a surgeon of cordoban descent. Little is known of his mother Leonor de Cortinas, except that she was a native of Arganda del
More about Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra...