Blood and Champagne: The Life and Times of Robert Capa

Blood and Champagne: The Life and Times of Robert Capa

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  150 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Robert Capa was arguably the finest photojournalist of the twentieth century and without doubt its greatest combat photographer-he covered every major conflict from the Spanish Civil War to the beginnings of Vietnam. An inveterate gambler who coined the dictum "if your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough," Capa risked his life again and again, most dramati...more
Published July 25th 2003 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Blood and Champagne, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood and Champagne

MV
I don't like Robert Capa. For many years I couldn't even remember his first name, I could have sworn his name was Albert Capa. Besdies his politics, which are frustratingly contradictory, his is the kind of personality I cannot stand. He is an actor, he is a cheat, he is a lie. But people accept him because of his charm. He's funny, he has an accent, he's crazy. I don't like it when people can get by on a thin-skinned charm without the integrity many other people struggle with their whole lives....more
Ally Armistead
A truly amazing biography of the photojournalist, Robert Capa. The research, the interviews, the testimonies were all impressive, and provided a satisfying look at a legend.

Having known little else about Capa before reading this book, I was stunned to learn that he was Hungarian, that his real name was Andre Friedman ("Robert Capa" was the name he invented). Similarly I was fascinated to discover his friendship and falling out with Ernest Hemingway, his work with John Steinbeck (who, reportedly...more
Joseph
A pretty good read for someone that you sort of cheered for, but then found him spiraling out of control with women, gambling, drinking and kind of giving up on life. I am a big fan of the author and finally had a chance of reading this book, which was one of his first books. I can see how some of his notes from this book were able to go into books like the Liberator, The Bedford Boys(awesome book) and possibly the interest of doing The Envoy (great book also).

But the biography had some great qu...more
Matti Karjalainen
Alex Kershawin "Sotaa ja samppanjaa : Robert Capan elämä" (Otava, 2003) on kiinnostava läpileikkaus 1900-luvun kenties tunnetuimman valokuvaajan elämäntarinaan.

Robert Capa eli elämän, joka olisi sopinut aivan yhtä hyvin kaunokirjallisen teoksen sivuille. Jos Capaa ei olisi ollut olemassa, olisi joku epäilemättä keksinyt hänet - tai oikeammin, jos Capa ei olisi keksinyt itseään, olisi jonkun muun pitänyt keksiä hänet!

Robert Capaa ei nimittäin ollut alun perin olemassakaan. Oli vain Andre Friedman...more
Joshua Mowll
I'm not a great one for biographies, but this is certainly worth reading. Capa's life story is never boring and his extraordinary photographs of the mid-20th century are a testament to this. I have a hefty coffee table book of his photographs which I found myself looking through as an excellent accompaniment to this. You'll probably want to do the same.
Ernesto Friedman
Curiosa vida: fotografia, o perigo das guerras, bebidas, mulheres, amigos entre gente famosa, jogo... Não é pra todos, mas ele viveu. O livro dá conta de nos mostrar a biografia de Capa.
Maggie
An account of one of the first war photographers. The writing was decent, but the construction of the book annoyed me both with bottom-page notations and the manner of footnoting. Kershaw obviously had to make some assumptions because so much of Capa's life was invented, but he told us when he was doing so. Some writers don't. No matter how much he charmed the women, Capa was obviously a man's man. I just didn't find him particularly worthy of a biography.
Blanka
"Capa miał już przygotowaną piersiówkę z koniakiem i termos z mrożoną herbatą. 'To będzie piękny materiał - powiedział. - Obiecuję wzorowe zachowanie. Nie będę ubliżał kolegom po fachu i ani razu nie wspomnę, jak doskonałe robię zdjęcia.'"
Jasmine
May 02, 2010 Jasmine is currently reading it
Plowing through this- easy to read, suffers greatly from the lack of photos. The author couldn't obtain rights to use the Capa photographs, but this is an excellent companion piece to his body of work.
Stéphanie Amesse
Well-researched and comprehensive, but could have used an editor. The writing might be politely described as chaotic.
Ben
Feb 22, 2008 Ben rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Rupert Owen
An incredible tale of a pioneering photojournalist - it reads like a spy fantasy, only better!
Jeanne
Aug 18, 2008 Jeanne marked it as to-read
Robert Capa was one of the nine Hungarian Jews in the book, The Great Escape.
Ryan
This book paints a vivid portrait of the esteemed war photographer and founder of Magnum, Robert Capa. Having previously read Slightly Out of Focus, Capa's memoir covering the D-Day landings and WWII experiences, this book paints a full picture of Capa's life and completes the story of a truly fascinating man who lived life to the fullest.
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Annie Garvey
Annie Garvey marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Mike Seidenberg
Mike Seidenberg marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
happy
happy marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Tionne
Tionne is currently reading it
Aug 23, 2014
Manal
Manal marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Níam Von
Níam Von marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Barbaraalaska
Barbaraalaska marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
George Groutas
George Groutas marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Steve
Steve is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2014
Yashwin Kumar
Yashwin Kumar marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Alex Kershaw is the author of the widely acclaimed best sellers The Bedford Boys, The Longest Winter, The Few, and Escape from the Deep, as well as biographies of Jack London, Raoul Wallenberg and Robert Capa. His latest book is The Liberator. He lives in Massachusetts.
More about Alex Kershaw...
The Longest Winter: The Battle of the Bulge and the Epic Story of World War II's Most Decorated Platoon The Bedford Boys: One American Town's Ultimate D-Day Sacrifice The Liberator: One World War II Soldier's 500-Day Odyssey from the Beaches of Sicily to the Gates of Dachau Escape from the Deep: The Epic Story of Legendary Submarine and her Courageous Crew The Few: The American "Knights of the Air" Who Risked Everything to Fight in the Battle of Britain