Sometime, Never

Sometime, Never

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  5 reviews
CONTENTS

Each of the three tales of imagination in this book is by a master of the art, and in each there is incident and invention enough to surpass most full-length novels.

Envoy Extraordinary by William Golding Tells of a barbarian genius who arrives in ancient Rome with three inventions--and the results are appalling.

Consider Her Ways by John Wyndham Presents a shocking...more
Mass Market Paperback, 185 pages
Published November 1st 1971 by Ballantine Books (first published 1957)

Julian

There is much to say about this collection of 3 stories. I found this by chance at the university library and was very excited to read it since it collects two of my very favourite authors together with another authors whose most well known book (Lord of the Flies) has been read by virtually everyone who has taken a high-school English course.
First there is Golding's Envoy Extraordinary. This is an interesting story about the introduction of the steam engine during the reign of Caesar. the style

Azariphale
Three very different short stories by authors with radically different writing styles.

Of the three I found that I enjoyed the second one the most.

The first one was hard to follow due to the author's strict adherence to the way in which Romans probably would have sounded were they speaking English and so therefore their sentences were not always straightforward and if several people were talking it was sometimes hard to figure stuff out.

The last story in the book was not overly complex in plot b...more
Venusmilk
First Story was terrible, and I had no idea what was happening. The second and third stories were amazing and I read them in a couple hours.
Rachel
Nov 24, 2010 Rachel rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
The story by Wyndham was good, and the Peake story was well written, but overall this failed to wow me.
Sara
Sep 01, 2007 Sara added it
Recommends it for: my self
dont do eny thing whitout think
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
M
M marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Dipak
Dipak marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Sam Roelants
Sam Roelants marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
James Wild
James Wild marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Colette
Colette marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Gj0nyg
Gj0nyg added it
Jan 15, 2014
Minnism
Minnism marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Gentrea Hendrickson
Gentrea Hendrickson marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Mackenzie
Mackenzie marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2013
Hannelore Wurzbach-giles
Hannelore Wurzbach-giles marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2013
Bakru
Bakru added it
Nov 02, 2013
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sir William Gerald Golding was a British novelist, poet, and playwright best known for his 1954 novel Lord of the Flies. He was awarded the Booker Prize for literature in 1980 for his novel Rites of Passage, the first book of the trilogy To the Ends of the Earth. He was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1983 and was knighted by the Queen of England in 1988.

In 2008, The Times ranked Golding...more
More about William Golding...
Lord of the Flies Rites of Passage (To the Ends of the Earth, #1) The Inheritors Pincher Martin: The Two Deaths of Christopher Martin Darkness Visible