Start by marking “Learn to Meditate: A Practical Guide to Self-Discovery and Fulfillment” as Want to Read:
Learn to Meditate: A Practical Guide to Self-Discovery and Fulfillment

Learn to Meditate: A Practical Guide to Self-Discovery and Fulfillment

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  102 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Meditation paves the road to a calmer, more focused mind; improved concentration; greater creativity; and a more energized mental and physical state of being. But finding an approach that works amid all the mumbo-jumbo can be a mind-altering experience in itself. Finally, here is a practical guide, beautifully illustrated, that reveals how to develop a personal program for ...more
Published February 1st 1999 by Chronicle Books (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Learn to Meditate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Learn to Meditate

Scott Dinsmore
Jul 09, 2009 Scott Dinsmore rated it really liked it
Why I Read this Book: With how busy and often stressful our lives are, I was in search of a remedy. Meditation turn out to be a great starting point.

Topics Covered:

* How to meditate
* Stress and anxiety reduction
* Calmness of mind
* Better sleep
* The power of a directed mind and heart
* The mind’s effect on the body

Review:

A cure for stress, I think I’ll take one of those please. It seems like stress is the buzzword of the decade. It’s no surprise with the millions of things we each have going
Candice Beever
Jan 04, 2011 Candice Beever rated it liked it
One of my goals for 2011 is to begin meditating. This book was a good starting point as it gave a general overview and some basic exercises, but by no means was it a complete guide. Even Fontana said that he couldn't cover everything in one book, there's just too much information out there on this subject.

The first section of the book covered the basics of meditation and some common obstacles. That was certainly the most helpful and interesting part of the book. The second part has a lot of 2 to
Kim Caudill
Jan 21, 2016 Kim Caudill rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed the broad overview. After being introduced to TM many years ago I've held an aversion to many of the schools of meditation.

Practical and simple tips and info.

Practical tool/augmentation as part of workplace health promotion.
Danica
Aug 07, 2014 Danica rated it liked it
A good introduction and general overview of Meditation.
Mj Gilmer
Dec 30, 2012 Mj Gilmer rated it really liked it
A great introduction and higher level overview with meditations in each chapter. I would recommend this as a jumping-in book as it defines terms, traditions, and possibilities while describing the essentials to get started. This is an easy read with playful illustrations and one I will keep
Soňa
Dec 11, 2013 Soňa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
hmm, not sure what to write, definetely good starting point for someone who never meditated... good overview on different styles and ways, great selection of excercises to try out but still not my cup of tea :(

can't help but this book didn't have impact on me... find it bit boring.
Olivia
May 14, 2012 Olivia marked it as to-read
So far, which isn't very far because I am actually doing the exercises and learning to meditate, it is surprisingly amazing! One 15 min. exercise makes me feel so refreshed and connected while at the same time disconnected from myself. It is wonderful and clarifying.
Matthew Cossey
Jan 28, 2011 Matthew Cossey rated it really liked it
One of the best books for an introduction to Meditation. Covers pretty much everything you would want to know, from different meditation styles, to the different eastern philosophies. The artwork throughout the book is very impressive. Highly recommended for everyone.
Nathanael (Boehm) Coyne
Mar 01, 2010 Nathanael (Boehm) Coyne rated it liked it
Shelves: favourite
An excellent introduction to meditation. Starts off with the basics and goes into increasingly advanced topics and techniques. Touches lightly on Buddhism and other religions but for the most part keeps meditation separate.
Kristen
Jun 18, 2008 Kristen rated it really liked it
Great book for beginners or folks to want to deepen their practice. Easy to read and filled with meditative exercises, as well as background on various meditative traditions.
Michael
Mar 24, 2015 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, buddhism
A brief and general book about mediation. I skipped around a little bit, and didn't learn that much. One take way term: "consensus trance."
NotSoLittleWitch
Apr 05, 2011 NotSoLittleWitch rated it liked it
Easy to follow exercises, simple language. Only for beginners.
Larry
Dec 12, 2009 Larry rated it really liked it
Well written informative and most helpful
Shamilla Ramnawaj
Feb 21, 2013 Shamilla Ramnawaj rated it really liked it
Great for beginners!
Shay
Jun 18, 2012 Shay rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Excellent so far.
Anthony Zappia
Anthony Zappia marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Ilze
Ilze is currently reading it
Jan 28, 2016
Peter Sprengelmeyer
Peter Sprengelmeyer is currently reading it
Jan 26, 2016
Katie Bryan
Katie Bryan marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Anna
Anna added it
Jan 15, 2016
Andrei
Andrei marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Richard Kugelman
Richard Kugelman rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2016
Bobby
Bobby rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Ceamer
Ceamer is currently reading it
Dec 29, 2015
Michelle Callicott
Michelle Callicott marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Andra Nadrart
Andra Nadrart marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
Marc Pageau
Marc Pageau marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2015
Noortje
Noortje marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2015
Joslyn
Joslyn marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Learn to Relax: A Practical Guide to Easing Tension and Conquering Stress
  • The Illuminated Prayer: The Five-Times Prayer of the Sufis
  • The Power of an Hour: Business and Life Mastery in One Hour a Week
  • Naked Spirituality A Life With God in Twelve Simple Words
  • Receiving Love: Transform Your Relationship by Letting Yourself Be Loved
  • Homosexuality in Islam: Critical Reflection on Gay, Lesbian, and Transgender Muslims
  • Life's Companion: Journal Writing as a Spiritual Practice
  • Getting Together: Building Relationships As We Negotiate
  • The Sabbath World: Glimpses of a Different Order of Time
  • The Cosmic Doctrine
  • Happy: Simple Steps to Get the Most Out of Life
  • The Orphaned Adult: Understanding And Coping With Grief And Change After The Death Of Our Parents
  • The Place of Tolerance in Islam