Start by marking “Alice, Let's Eat: Further Adventures of a Happy Eater” as Want to Read:
Alice, Let's Eat: Further Adventures of a Happy Eater

Alice, Let's Eat: Further Adventures of a Happy Eater (The Tummy Trilogy #2)

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  932 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
In this delightful and delicious book, Calvin Trillin, guided by an insatiable appetite, embarks on a hilarious odyssey in search of “something decent to eat.” Across time zones and cultures, and often with his wife, Alice, at his side, Trillin shares his triumphs in the art of culinary discovery, including Dungeness crabs in California, barbecued mutton in Kentucky, potat ...more
Published December 26th 2006 by Random House Trade Paperbacks (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Alice, Let's Eat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alice, Let's Eat

The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael PollanKitchen Confidential by Anthony BourdainAnimal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara KingsolverFast Food Nation by Eric SchlosserIn Defense of Food by Michael Pollan
Food-Related Non-Fiction
53rd out of 751 books — 1,404 voters
Kitchen Confidential by Anthony BourdainMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna OthitisMedium Raw by Anthony BourdainMy Life in France by Julia ChildHeat by Bill Buford
Great Books about Food
28th out of 180 books — 123 voters

More lists with this book...

heather
Dec 21, 2008 heather rated it liked it
Shelves: foodanddrink
I did not make it through all the essays here, because I felt like they all started to sound the same. I say that of many essay collections or short story collections, and neither format is usually designed to be read cover-to-cover. That being said, I do like Trillin, and enjoy his columns in the New Yorker. He's charming, funny. I'd like to be seated next to him at any number of dinners. His essays make me chuckle, and capture a slice of life when American food culture suddenly went beyond reg ...more
Kristen Northrup
Sep 05, 2010 Kristen Northrup rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, own, food, humor
I've been reading Trillin's essays for years but this is the first time I've sat down with an entire book's worth. As with many poetry collections, I sat down expecting to browse through a small selection of pieces at a time but then suddenly I'd finished it.

Although everything was written in the 70s, remarkably little is dated. Many foodie trends have, in fact, cycled back around. My copy is a first edition hardcover. It cost about $2 and likely always will but the yellowing pages and dated dus
Aleeda
Aug 11, 2011 Aleeda added it
Over the years I have read Mr. Trillin's writing in New Yorker magazine. His food writing reveals a completely different side. it's like bringing a kid to a candy store. Here is someone who clearly loves food, and people who love food. His style reminds of Jeffrey Steingarten, a mix of confession and comic writing. While some of the stories are dated, many are timeless, such as the feast he brought onto a flight to Miami, . It helped that as a native New Yorker, I have visited many of the eateri ...more
Jo
Aug 27, 2014 Jo rated it it was ok
Maybe Calvin Trillin is funnier in small doses like a New Yorker length article, but this book is the definition of a humorist trying to hard. HAHAHAH I love eating. LOL my wife is a nag.
Joe
Jan 31, 2016 Joe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food, 2016
The best food writer I've ever read. From NYC's Chinese restaurants to the steakhouses of the midwest to the noodle houses of London, Trillin paints himself as a voracious scoundrel, always thinking ahead to his next gourmet conquest when he's only halfway through his current plate. We root for Trillin against the forces of evil, namely, those characters and obligations that might prevent him from eating some dreamed-of dish, instead diverting him to some dour pile of absolutely pedestrian food. ...more
Ron
Apr 29, 2016 Ron rated it it was ok
Semi-amusing, sometimes over-written, focusing on gourmandizing (eating lots) rather than saying anything interesting about the food. Rather dated in its approach to writing about food, and about the topics he chooses. Why doesn't he get tired of mentioning Arthur Bryant's KC BBQ?
Read as bedtime reading, for which it was a fine choice. Short-ish essays, transparent prose, a chuckle here and there.
I will remember his odd arch self-deprecating tone, his quietly ironic stance of knowing what he say
Suman
Jul 19, 2007 Suman rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who love food
This is a very nice about food by American humorist Calvin Trillin. In a short story format, Trillin describes his eating of everything from barbeque ribs to hog's pie across America and Europe. Trillin is a man who loves to eat and does not have the pretensions of many food writers. That he can also write about food (unlike the current NY Times food reporter Frank Bruni) makes the book even more enjoyable.

The book, however, is not perfect. Although "Alice, Let's Eat" is supposed to be humorous,
Hope
Dec 29, 2010 Hope rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food-writing
Calvin Trillin, writer of many hats, has said he's not a food writer. Instead, he writes about eating. But oh, how he writes! He's witty, with a dry sense of humor, and able to parody people nicely, without condescension, unless those people happen to be politicians.

Once again, he takes us on a merry trip to eat what the regular folk eat, with a magnificent side trip to a dinner by Paul Bocuse at Lutece. He also takes us to London and Paris, where his wide-eyed true-blue American outlook on lif
Armelle
Nov 20, 2014 Armelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Calvin Trillin's far-ranging quest for his next great meal is laugh-out-loud funny.

It's a short book, but it's like a really rich dessert - just a small bite is enough. It's not a book to sit down and read in one sitting. Read a chapter every now and then, and enjoy.
Mango Rice
Mar 27, 2016 Mango Rice rated it really liked it
Ivan Benedict
Nov 16, 2014 Ivan Benedict rated it really liked it
This is a very funny book, especially for people
who like to eat good food. The author has favorite
places to eat all over the states and the world.
There's a chapter on eating in London, eating with
steak-eaters in Nebraska, eating in NYC, New Orleans,
etc. He loves good food & loves joking about it all.
Oh, yes, and Alice (his wife) has some of her own
tastes as well.
Audrey
Dec 27, 2013 Audrey rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is a highly amusing and wonderful book written by a Calvin Trillin, who I believe after reading this book to be a true foodie.

His descriptions of the some of the varied meals he eats at restaurants, church dinners, street food, airplanes, all over the country and France and England made me laugh and in quite a few cases made me very hungry.

I chuckled multiple times while reading this book and even laughed out loud a couple of times.

His late wife, Alice is featured throughout the book and he
Leta
Feb 27, 2014 Leta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable book that reminds us that there's good regional cooking everywhere you go. My mother, who disliked "corporate" food and loved local cooking, would have loved traveling with Mr. Trillin and trying the treats his favorite places had to offer.

It's also fun watching Alice -- Mrs. Trillin -- trying to squeeze a trip to a museum or picturesque seaside into her husbands grazing schedule.
Ldygray
Mar 12, 2016 Ldygray rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
A funny, charming selection of essays from food writer Calvin Trillin. Mostly just made me hungry and ready to travel!
Andy Plonka
A bit dated but a humorous commentary on gourmet eating.
Jordyne
Mar 14, 2014 Jordyne rated it really liked it
Playful about food.
Emma
Oct 04, 2015 Emma rated it really liked it
Scrumdiddlyumptious
Nancy B
May 26, 2015 Nancy B rated it it was ok
Calvin Trillin is capable of turning an amusing phrase, and this book contains many of them. Still, I had trouble really getting into it. I guess I wanted a little more action.
Andrea
Sep 26, 2007 Andrea rated it really liked it
I picked this up again after reading Trillin's beautiful piece in The New Yorker about his wife, Alice, after her death. Although on the face of things this is a book about Trillin's quest for authentic food and his adventures in finding it, it's also a comic look at family life and the woman he loved.

Here's an inscription he wrote in the first book he published since her death: “I wrote this for Alice. Actually, I wrote everything for Alice.”

How can you not love that?
Bookgirl
Jul 03, 2015 Bookgirl rated it did not like it
He does the impossible by making a book about food boring.
Lori
Jun 03, 2016 Lori rated it did not like it
Supposed to be humorous discourse on food and eating. Not.
Helen
Aug 01, 2009 Helen rated it liked it
Shelves: calvin-trillin
I read this book because I had already read "About Alice". I loved the book he wrote to honor and memorialize his wife and wanted to read more.

While this book wasn't as 'good' as "About Alice" I hesitate to even say that because the first was about her and this book is about meals and dining. He uses his wife as the 'voice of sanity' or some such. Anyway it is an entertaining book.
Tom
Jul 01, 2007 Tom rated it really liked it
A collection of stories by Calvin Trillin that ran in The New Yorker, Esquire, and elsewhere in the 1970s. They're all about Trillin's obsessive and absurd quest for the very best food—Kansas City barbecue, West Indian crawfish, Santa Fe tamales—which is always met by a loving, but no-nonsense dressing-down from his pragmatic wife, Alice. These are delightful little comic gems.
Kate
Jul 16, 2007 Kate added it
Shelves: foodwriting
I just started this one, but it's a classic from what I understand, so I'm excited. I wish I could eat as much as this author clearly does without getting fat.

-- Having finished it, it was very cute. There's a chapter called "confessions of a crab eater," during which he basically admits that Dungeoness is the best of the crabs. I'm a fan.
Evelyn
Aug 26, 2009 Evelyn rated it really liked it
Super fun and enjoyable book. I particularly liked how it painted a picture of what Manhattan looked like before I knew it (published in 1979) and yet a lot of it feels like it could have been written today. Makes me want to go to Kansas to hunt down some really good bbq. Recommended for anyone who loves ready witty stories about food and life!
Bill Adelson
Jul 13, 2007 Bill Adelson rated it liked it
Recommends it for: ANYONE, WHY NOT!
Read all of Trillin. It's great American writing. Sophisticated and entertaining and romantic and beautiful. I makes me want to eat wonderful foods and fall in love. What more could one want from life. If you can't have the real thing, than this falls under the category of vicarious thrills, vicarious existence actually.
Helen Yee
Dec 30, 2015 Helen Yee rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-fiction, fiction
"To you a jazz festival is just eating with background music" says Calvin's wife, Alice. Calvin isn't just an enigma, he's my eating hero. He is exactly the kind of person who I would want to hang out with. And eat with. And plan our next meal. Cleverly written and beautifully eloquent about all things food.
Ensiform
Oct 24, 2010 Ensiform rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, food
The second book in Trillin's Tummy Trilogy, it's more of his humorous ruminations on the joys of eating good food.

His essays here show a more broad humor – it's still self-deprecating, but he branches away from the metaphor motif he overused in American Fried. It's a fairly amusing collection.
Davide
Mar 19, 2008 Davide rated it it was amazing
I'll be the first to admit that I love/stalk/idolize/dream about Calvin Trillin. So my reviews of his books are anything but fair balanced. His wit, charm, and steady Midwestern gift for understatement and straight storytelling are truly gifts for anyone looking for a good read, Foodie or not.
Kuen
Oct 10, 2010 Kuen rated it liked it
Although I liked Trillin's sense of humour and writting style, somehow these stories seemed to lack a cohesiveness that would have formed the soul of this book. Still entertaining, but I found it lack the emotinal nourishment of comfort food, perhaps more of a quick happy meal instead.
Let's Eat 1 11 Feb 25, 2007 10:03AM
  • Home Cooking: A Writer in the Kitchen
  • Are You Really Going to Eat That?: Reflections of a Culinary Thrill Seeker
  • Serve It Forth
  • Between Meals: An Appetite for Paris
  • A Tiger in the Kitchen: A Memoir of Food and Family
  • Women Who Eat: A New Generation on the Glory of Food
  • Eating for Beginners: An Education in the Pleasures of Food from Chefs, Farmers, and One Picky Kid
  • American Food Writing: an Anthology: With Classic Recipes
  • Secret Ingredients: The New Yorker Book of Food and Drink
  • An Omelette and a Glass of Wine
  • On the Line
  • The Man Who Ate the World: In Search of the Perfect Dinner
  • Shark's Fin And Sichuan Pepper: A Sweet-Sour Memoir of Eating in China
  • The Language of Baklava: A Memoir
  • Perfection Salad: Women and Cooking at the Turn of the Century (California Studies in Food and Culture, 24)
  • The Raw and the Cooked: Adventures of a Roving Gourmand
  • My Last Supper: 50 Great Chefs and Their Final Meals / Portraits, Interviews, and Recipes
  • Consuming Passions: A Food-Obsessed Life
Calvin (Bud) Marshall Trillin is an American journalist, humorist, and novelist. He is best known for his humorous writings about food and eating, but he has also written much serious journalism, comic verse, and several books of fiction.

Trillin attended public schools in Kansas City and went on to Yale University, where he served as chairman of the Yale Daily News and became a member of Scroll an
More about Calvin Trillin...

The Tummy Trilogy (3 books)
  • American Fried