Alice, Let's Eat: Further Adventures of a Happy Eater

Alice, Let's Eat: Further Adventures of a Happy Eater

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  694 ratings  ·  70 reviews
“Trillin is our funniest food writer. He writes with charm, freedom, and a rare respect for language.”
New York magazine

In this delightful and delicious book, Calvin Trillin, guided by an insatiable appetite, embarks on a hilarious odyssey in search of “something decent to eat.” Across time zones and cultures, and often with his wife, Alice, at his side, Trillin shares his...more
Published December 26th 2006 by Random House Trade Paperbacks (first published 1978)

The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael PollanKitchen Confidential by Anthony BourdainAnimal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara KingsolverFast Food Nation by Eric SchlosserIn Defense of Food by Michael Pollan
Food-Related Non-Fiction
55th out of 646 books — 1,209 voters
In Cold Blood by Truman CapoteWhen You Are Engulfed in Flames by David SedarisNine Stories by J.D. SalingerEichmann in Jerusalem by Hannah ArendtThe Secret Life of Walter Mitty and Other Pieces by James Thurber
From the Pages of the New Yorker
32nd out of 126 books — 32 voters

More lists with this book...

heather
I did not make it through all the essays here, because I felt like they all started to sound the same. I say that of many essay collections or short story collections, and neither format is usually designed to be read cover-to-cover. That being said, I do like Trillin, and enjoy his columns in the New Yorker. He's charming, funny. I'd like to be seated next to him at any number of dinners. His essays make me chuckle, and capture a slice of life when American food culture suddenly went beyond reg...more
Kristen Northrup
I've been reading Trillin's essays for years but this is the first time I've sat down with an entire book's worth. As with many poetry collections, I sat down expecting to browse through a small selection of pieces at a time but then suddenly I'd finished it.

Although everything was written in the 70s, remarkably little is dated. Many foodie trends have, in fact, cycled back around. My copy is a first edition hardcover. It cost about $2 and likely always will but the yellowing pages and dated dus...more
Aleeda
Aug 11, 2011 Aleeda added it
Over the years I have read Mr. Trillin's writing in New Yorker magazine. His food writing reveals a completely different side. it's like bringing a kid to a candy store. Here is someone who clearly loves food, and people who love food. His style reminds of Jeffrey Steingarten, a mix of confession and comic writing. While some of the stories are dated, many are timeless, such as the feast he brought onto a flight to Miami, . It helped that as a native New Yorker, I have visited many of the eateri...more
Suman
Jul 19, 2007 Suman rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who love food
This is a very nice about food by American humorist Calvin Trillin. In a short story format, Trillin describes his eating of everything from barbeque ribs to hog's pie across America and Europe. Trillin is a man who loves to eat and does not have the pretensions of many food writers. That he can also write about food (unlike the current NY Times food reporter Frank Bruni) makes the book even more enjoyable.

The book, however, is not perfect. Although "Alice, Let's Eat" is supposed to be humorous,...more
Hope
Calvin Trillin, writer of many hats, has said he's not a food writer. Instead, he writes about eating. But oh, how he writes! He's witty, with a dry sense of humor, and able to parody people nicely, without condescension, unless those people happen to be politicians.

Once again, he takes us on a merry trip to eat what the regular folk eat, with a magnificent side trip to a dinner by Paul Bocuse at Lutece. He also takes us to London and Paris, where his wide-eyed true-blue American outlook on lif...more
Audrey
Dec 27, 2013 Audrey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is a highly amusing and wonderful book written by a Calvin Trillin, who I believe after reading this book to be a true foodie.

His descriptions of the some of the varied meals he eats at restaurants, church dinners, street food, airplanes, all over the country and France and England made me laugh and in quite a few cases made me very hungry.

I chuckled multiple times while reading this book and even laughed out loud a couple of times.

His late wife, Alice is featured throughout the book and he...more
Leta
A very enjoyable book that reminds us that there's good regional cooking everywhere you go. My mother, who disliked "corporate" food and loved local cooking, would have loved traveling with Mr. Trillin and trying the treats his favorite places had to offer.

It's also fun watching Alice -- Mrs. Trillin -- trying to squeeze a trip to a museum or picturesque seaside into her husbands grazing schedule.
Jordyne
Playful about food.
Andrea
I picked this up again after reading Trillin's beautiful piece in The New Yorker about his wife, Alice, after her death. Although on the face of things this is a book about Trillin's quest for authentic food and his adventures in finding it, it's also a comic look at family life and the woman he loved.

Here's an inscription he wrote in the first book he published since her death: “I wrote this for Alice. Actually, I wrote everything for Alice.”

How can you not love that?
Helen
I read this book because I had already read "About Alice". I loved the book he wrote to honor and memorialize his wife and wanted to read more.

While this book wasn't as 'good' as "About Alice" I hesitate to even say that because the first was about her and this book is about meals and dining. He uses his wife as the 'voice of sanity' or some such. Anyway it is an entertaining book.
Tom
A collection of stories by Calvin Trillin that ran in The New Yorker, Esquire, and elsewhere in the 1970s. They're all about Trillin's obsessive and absurd quest for the very best food—Kansas City barbecue, West Indian crawfish, Santa Fe tamales—which is always met by a loving, but no-nonsense dressing-down from his pragmatic wife, Alice. These are delightful little comic gems.
Kate
Jul 16, 2007 Kate added it
Shelves: foodwriting
I just started this one, but it's a classic from what I understand, so I'm excited. I wish I could eat as much as this author clearly does without getting fat.

-- Having finished it, it was very cute. There's a chapter called "confessions of a crab eater," during which he basically admits that Dungeoness is the best of the crabs. I'm a fan.
Evelyn
Super fun and enjoyable book. I particularly liked how it painted a picture of what Manhattan looked like before I knew it (published in 1979) and yet a lot of it feels like it could have been written today. Makes me want to go to Kansas to hunt down some really good bbq. Recommended for anyone who loves ready witty stories about food and life!
Bill Adelson
Jul 13, 2007 Bill Adelson rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ANYONE, WHY NOT!
Read all of Trillin. It's great American writing. Sophisticated and entertaining and romantic and beautiful. I makes me want to eat wonderful foods and fall in love. What more could one want from life. If you can't have the real thing, than this falls under the category of vicarious thrills, vicarious existence actually.
Ensiform
The second book in Trillin's Tummy Trilogy, it's more of his humorous ruminations on the joys of eating good food.

His essays here show a more broad humor – it's still self-deprecating, but he branches away from the metaphor motif he overused in American Fried. It's a fairly amusing collection.
Davide
I'll be the first to admit that I love/stalk/idolize/dream about Calvin Trillin. So my reviews of his books are anything but fair balanced. His wit, charm, and steady Midwestern gift for understatement and straight storytelling are truly gifts for anyone looking for a good read, Foodie or not.
Kuen
Although I liked Trillin's sense of humour and writting style, somehow these stories seemed to lack a cohesiveness that would have formed the soul of this book. Still entertaining, but I found it lack the emotinal nourishment of comfort food, perhaps more of a quick happy meal instead.
Maryann
Read this book on a colleague's recommendation for potential use in a Food Writing course. I enjoyed the book, mostly, though I found it hard to imagine taking a feast on an airplane today. Probably not useful as a class material, but I'm glad I read it & got thoughts on Food Writing.
Holly
Except for Shirley Jackson's Life Among the Savages, this is the funniest I have ever read, beyond a doubt. Funnier than Hitchhiker's Guide, in fact.

I greatly admire a man who can put together sentences like this.

Check out his tribute to his dead wife in The New Yorker. Gorgeous.
Lily Raff
This book is dated but Trillin's voice is just too charming for that to matter. I'm glad I read these essays in order, because some of his jokes involve references from earlier pieces. Now I, too, fantasize about having a frumpy-but-lovable cousin Harvey to manage my finances.
anaïs
Calvin Trillin's stories of travel and eating (including one where his young daughter always brings a bagel to a restaurant in case there is nothing there she likes) have made me continually fall in love with his charming late wife and his splendidly funny daughters.
cat
i read this out loud to my mom recently, and we were both laughing so hard that this tiny volume took twice as long to read as it should have...it's a hilarious testament to the power of food in relationships (especially when you are married to an amateur gastranome)
Lisa
I love Calvin. Calvin loves food. Calvin loves New Orleans and Calvin loves NY. You have to love a guy who can understand that good food can come as frequently from a BBQ dive as a really good French restaurant. And is comfortable in both places.
Jim
Trillin is so funny no matter what he writes about - sophisticated but with laugh out loud material interspersed

probably the best cultural commentator in the past 50 yrs of American culture whether in Greenich Village or in Kansas at a ribs place
Chelsea
I'm officially not a foodie, which means that I read this book simply because Trillin wrote it, and not because the subject interested me. And while I skimmed a few passages here and there, it was a fun read with Trillin's humor in full force.
Jessica Steed
What a book! Recommended for anyone who enjoys food, slightly self-deprecating humor and/or intelligent writing. I would go on an eating tour of NYC with Trillin any day. The State Department wouldn't even have to arrange anything...
Chris "Stu"
Not as good as the previous book, but still good, Trillin gets a little sidetracked with talking about his wife, in which she seems to be a cliche character gently hectoring him and humoring him. Still, worth reading.
Liz
not my favorite Trillin - I want to like this more, given that I love reading about other people eating (huh) and it comes recommended around here...but I'm not that into it. Read About Alice instead.
Ruth Conrad
Trillin is very funny and witty. I learned about gourmet dining with menus heavy on steak, ribs and crab. Even more than the food reviews, I liked his humorous commentary on contempory culture.
Christine

This is the book that got me interested in food. I can remember laughing out loud at his daughter's plea for a bagel as they leave for dinner. I love Calvin Trillin and I love Alice.
Let's Eat 1 10 Feb 25, 2007 10:03AM
  • An Omelette and a Glass of Wine
  • The Language of Baklava: A Memoir
  • The Reach of a Chef: Beyond the Kitchen
  • A Tiger in the Kitchen: A Memoir of Food and Family
  • Perfection Salad: Women and Cooking at the Turn of the Century (California Studies in Food and Culture, 24)
  • It Must've Been Something I Ate: The Return of the Man Who Ate Everything
  • Take Big Bites: Adventures Around the World and Across the Table
  • Eating for Beginners: An Education in the Pleasures of Food from Chefs, Farmers, and One Picky Kid
  • On the Line
  • Will Write for Food: The Complete Guide to Writing Cookbooks, Restaurant Reviews, Articles, Memoir, Fiction and More
  • Shark's Fin And Sichuan Pepper: A Sweet-Sour Memoir of Eating in China
  • Fork It Over: The Intrepid Adventures of a Professional Eater
Calvin (Bud) Marshall Trillin is an American journalist, humorist, and novelist. He is best known for his humorous writings about food and eating, but he has also written much serious journalism, comic verse, and several books of fiction.

Trillin attended public schools in Kansas City and went on to Yale University, where he served as chairman of the Yale Daily News and became a member of Scroll an...more
More about Calvin Trillin...
About Alice The Tummy Trilogy Tepper Isn't Going Out Travels with Alice Feeding a Yen: Savoring Local Specialties, from Kansas City to Cuzco