Start by marking “Unexplained!: 347 Strange Sightings, Incredible Occurrences, and Puzzling Physical Phenomena” as Want to Read:

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  291 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
This is a description and analysis of some of history's most baffling events - spontaneous human combustion, UFOs, phantom attackers, crop circles and werewolves. Without supporting or refuting any claims, Jerome Clark presents the evidence, names eyewitnesses and investigators, assesses current thought about the phenomena and discusses various theories, ranging from the o ...more
Published 1993 by Visible Ink Pr

To ask other readers questions about Unexplained!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unexplained!

Shane Simmons
This book is an entertaining read, covering diverse strange topics as hairy hominids, black dogs, green fireballs (UFOs), teleportation stories, mermaids, as well as a few famous hoaxes.

Clark writes with a surprisingly skeptical viewpoint (but not excessively so) for a cryptozoologist. Many of the phenomena discussed in the book he critiques as having too little evidence to support a belief in. However, he doesn't bash the given phenomena either.

In short I'd recommend this book to any student o
Jack Tyler
Apr 13, 2014 Jack Tyler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this as a reference or "inspiration" book when I was writing fantasy. It turned out to be a very enjoyable read as well. My granddaughter read it at the age of ten, all 600 pages of it, and had a ball doing it. The chapter headings are Cosmic Enigmas; Shapes in the Sky; Strange Showers; Earth Mysteries; Cryptozoology; Out of Place; Other Incredible Entities; and Things That Are Not. Fans of Coast-to-Coast, a call-in radio show where guests are required to have frequent flyer miles on th ...more
Kimmy
Oct 23, 2014 Kimmy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This is the second edition of this book that I've owned, and I haven't regretted a single penny I've spent. Clark is perhaps a bit more open-minded than I would be about some of the subjects, but he is meticulous about his research. Every entry, no matter how odd or obscure, is accompanied by a list of references. The book is broad in scope, ranging from the Jersey Devil to the Mad Gasser of Mattoon to merfolk, to Noah's Ark, to UFOs, to teleportation, crop circles, and beyond. All carefully res ...more
Paige
Dec 18, 2013 Paige rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid reference material of weird. Does a good job of presenting multiple theories and is not afraid to say when something is completely implausible. Very readable, especially well suited to short reads as the entries don't tend to be more than two or three pages each.
MeatAndPotatoes
Feb 25, 2015 MeatAndPotatoes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book. Covers cryptids, phenomena, and other unexplained things as the title suggest. I felt as if some of the sections went on for too long while others were cut to short. There was a noticeable bias that pointed into the author believing in these things were true, but at the end of each section, he included research or theories that were done to disprove the mystery so it tends to balance out.

As I said, this book is quite extensive. It featured many new cryptids I wasn't aware of so it
Christopher Carrolli
Feb 26, 2013 Christopher Carrolli rated it it was amazing
This book was a great source for the paranormal and the unexplained. I look forward to the new edition. This book does an excellent job in recounting eyewitness testimony and debunking those incidents that were deemed most likely to be a hoax. The section on the Men in Black will chill your spine, and it also has great articles regarding Mermaids, Bigfoot, Mothman, and UFO's. It is a MUST for those of you interested in the unexplained or the paranormal. This book has given me great research idea ...more
Brendan
The unknown or Unexplained is something that people always wonder about. See what I did there? Anyway people are always curious or afraid of what they don't understand or know. People tell storeis and make rumors abiut some of histories most famous places, monsters, and events. But how do we know if it's true? Well only time will tel but for now we have thins book.

The book, Unexplained: Strnge sightings, Incredible Occurences & Puzziling Physical Phenomena, by Jerome Clark is a book that t
Andrew Perron
Jun 30, 2014 Andrew Perron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The really interesting thing about this book is that it holds everything up to the light of critical thinking. It points out when a legend is based on inadequate data and hearsay... and when skepticism becomes an excuse to dismiss the experiences of hundreds of people. It gives you the data and lets you decide. Highly recommended.
Bibliofiendlm
Based on the fun topic, I thought this would be more interesting. I think teens would be curious to read it, but the black and white pictures and such make it pretty boring. Disappointed.
Joshua Vine
Jan 08, 2014 Joshua Vine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some very interesting stuff. Some of the more unbelievable could have been left out.
David Reynoso
Was kinda long but good overall
Sae-chan
Nov 08, 2012 Sae-chan rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Too much word, not enough pictures.
Cm2dude
Feb 09, 2009 Cm2dude rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite Interesting Read...
Jo
Feb 05, 2008 Jo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is fun
Justin Harden
Justin Harden rated it really liked it
May 02, 2016
Aldo Fernandez
Aldo Fernandez rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Flora0501
Flora0501 marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Rick Ewing
Rick Ewing rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Mizz Bee
Mizz Bee marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2016
K Childs
K Childs marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Miguel
Miguel marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Scott D.
Scott D. is currently reading it
Apr 12, 2016
T Icon
T Icon rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Phillip Vivar
Phillip Vivar is currently reading it
Apr 07, 2016
Tamara
Tamara rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Tricia Thompson
Tricia Thompson marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Leon Van
Leon Van marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
  • The Complete Guide to Mysterious Beings
  • The Big Book of the Unexplained
  • The Encyclopedia of Ghosts and Spirits
  • Encyclopedia of Haunted Places: Ghostly Locales from Around the World
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Ghosts & Hauntings : The Ultimate A-Z of Spirits, Mysteries and the Paranormal
  • Encyclopedia of the Undead: A Field Guide to Creatures That Cannot Rest in Peace
  • Haunted Places: The National Directory: Ghostly Abodes, Sacred Sites, UFO Landings, and Other Su pernatural Locations
  • Mysteries of the World: Unexplained Wonders and Mysterious Phenomena
  • Encyclopedia of World Mythology
  • A Dictionary of Superstitions
  • The Complete Books
  • Mysterious America: The Ultimate Guide to the Nation's Weirdest Wonders, Strangest Spots, and Creepiest Creatures
  • Ghosts Caught on Film: Photographs of the Paranormal
  • Stranger Than Science
  • Mind Over Matter (Mysteries of the Unknown)
  • Real-Life X-Files: Investigating the Paranormal
  • Chicago Haunts: Ghostly Lore of the Windy City
Jerome Clark is an American researcher and writer, specializing in unidentified flying objects and other anomalous phenomena; he is also a songwriter of some note.

Clark is one of the most prominent UFO historians and researchers active today. Although Clark's works have sometimes generated spirited debate, he is widely regarded as one of the most reputable writers in the field, and he has earned t
More about Jerome Clark...